Unnatural Hair Colors

• Author
Cookiesandough
This is interesting and it got me thinking....

In my own life, I have had pretty much the same "genre" of hairstyle my whole life since the age of 18. I have thick, somewhat course blond hair and a round face, so I keep it sort of long, and it will NEVER be flat and sleek because there's too much of it. If only the 80's had lasted forever....

When I look back, EVERY time I have done something drastically different, it was during a time of stress or unhappiness. I wonder how many women suddenly do something crazy (not that color is crazy) with their hair because of discontent or unhappiness?

Yes I have heard things from men like "SJW" "Not attractive" "It's a clear sign of mental illness or that she will be easy" Haha. But oh well. I am coloring it for ME.

And it's not like I'm Britney Spearsing here. This has been a decision I have been wanting to take the plunge on for a LONG time. Like, since high school. If I had it my way, I would have had tried it a long time ago but my job at the time, my parents (!!! they will probably freak now, at least my mom), and my fear of drawing too much attention wouldn't have allowed it

I love that silvery lilac too. We shall see how it goes

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 2
Yes I have heard things from men like "SJW" "Not attractive" "It's a clear sign of mental illness or that she will be easy" Haha. But oh well. I am coloring it for ME.

And it's not like I'm Britney Spearsing here. This has been a decision I have been wanting to take the plunge on for a LONG time. Like, since high school. If I had it my way, I would have had tried it a long time ago but my job at the time, my parents (!!! they will probably freak now, at least my mom), and my fear of drawing too much attention wouldn't have allowed it

I love that silvery lilac too. We shall see how it goes

Yeah, I figured someone would choose to be offended. I was talking about ME. And I don't think, nor did i say, that changing one's hair is a sign of mental illness.

I was simply responding to another poster's words and how they struck ME.

I said earlier upthread I wish I were younger because I think it would be fun to try pastel hair.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
Yeah, I figured someone would choose to be offended. I was talking about ME. And I don't think, nor did i say, that changing one's hair is a sign of mental illness.

I was simply responding to another poster's words and how they struck ME.

I said earlier upthread I wish I were younger because I think it would be fun to try pastel hair.

I was not offended! Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. I was actually agreeing with you and just adding comments of what other people have told me they assume.

"You go girl" :D

Was just speaking in general. As a guy, it's something that baffles/interests me how women play with their hair.

Think I've had 4 different hair styles in my life.

In the same way that I currently have about 5 pairs of shoes.

• Like 1
I was not offended! Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. I was actually agreeing with you and just adding comments of what other people have told me they assume.

Sorry. My hair isn't red anymore, but maybe I still have some vestiges......lol

I was disappointed that I didn't look good as a redhead. I always wanted red hair....sigh.....

• Like 1
"You go girl" :D

Was just speaking in general. As a guy, it's something that baffles/interests me how women play with their hair.

Think I've had 4 different hair styles in my life.

In the same way that I currently have about 5 pairs of shoes.

Off topic but 5 pairs of shoes is like having one potato chip.....

If I touch my hair after eating lots of potato chips it makes it oily, which affects the color....

• Like 1

I thought it was great in the 1970s when it was rare, but now that you see it even on grade school kids, it's a little too commonplace for me. But if someone wants blue hair, go for it as long as it doesn't hold you back. I did burgundy and my employer wasn't nuts about it even though I was in the record business. I kind of think colored hair should come and go and not be a permanent fixture. You can always do colored wigs and hairpieces instead of dying your hair like that and then take them off to go to work. I still have an old pink Marilyn wig. I died one lavender in about 1972 but it's gone to gray now. I think wigs and pieces are a better alternative. Dying is hard on your hair (bleaching)

Off topic but 5 pairs of shoes is like having one potato chip.....

It's a sacrilege. I know :D

I've heard women taking pride in the size of their heels, in the same way that guys take pride in the size of their... personality.

Loads of shoes, and a guy with a big personality. This is every girl's dream, methinks.

I've thought a few times it would be fun to color my hair a bright red or put some kind of pink streaks in it, just to come across as more artsy and funky.

Because I otherwise appear to be one of the most conservative women on the planet. I look like your typical schoolteacher, nurse, or secretary and I dress very mainstream, even though I'm really a creative type. I would like to make friends with other artsy ladies but I don't 'look the part.'

I think it's because I am self-conscious about it that I don't. I have had the same hairstyle (medium to long, side parted, naturally wavy) for a long time. My natural color is kind of caramel/honey blonde and I have gotten compliments on the color my entire life. I have 'mom hair' and it's hard to make that change! :)

Edited by bebe23
  • Like 2
thefooloftheyear

I was having lunch with this guy some time back and the waitress had her hair dyed a striking wine color with pink streaks....Well, this idiot I was with is always somewhat crude, so what does he do? He asks the woman if the "carpet matched the drapes"..:eek:..At first I wasn't too sure what she was going to say, or how she would react, but she took it in stride and replied, without hesitation...." I got hardwood floors down there".....

:laugh:....we all got a laugh out of it...

But the more I think of it, the more I kinda like it....I like the spirit of doing what you want and not always being a conformist...Even relatively conservative women can carry the look if its done subtly....

TFY

• Like 5

Personally, wild hair isn't my thing. I try not to judge those who go for different colours as attention seekers, although I know an attention seeking type (45 y.o mother with pink hair) who no end posts selfies on Facebook etc.

Each to their own, but I'm sure there are more out there who do it to stand out for more narcissistic reasons.

• Like 1
SwordofFlame

For me, I view it in the same vain as tattoos and body piercings. I suppose as long as it's not overly attention grabbing and eccentric, than it might be fine.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater
Cookies - is that you on the Avatar? If so - congrats, pink hair looks good on you!

Cookies would be gorgeous even if she was wearing a clown wig and red nose.

• Like 3
TheTraveler
I was wondering what your thoughts on women with unnatural hair colors (bright red, turquoise, violet, lavender, blue, green)?

Super hot. Love it all! I like the recent one where it's one color on top (blonde), and underneath it's like a rainbow.

• Like 1