Unnatural Hair Colors

GorillaTheater

I have a couple of daughters who often dye their hair pink or turquoise or some other color. I think they're way cute.

A woman my age who dyes her hair some neon day-glo color kind of makes me go "hmmm".

• Like 3

If I was 25 years younger, I would definitely try that pastel mermaid thing. Sigh. I'm too old.

I have always been blond. Well, until my 20, when I started getting "roots." From then on I lightened my hair, thinking I was no longer blond.

A couple of years ago I decided to try red. NOPE. I don't have the skin tone for it - I'm blond but my skin is somewhat olive.

I had all the color stripped completely out, and guess what color my hair has been since? BLOND So I guess I wasted years of money lol.

Oh to be 25 again.....

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

I love it, but I like alternative looks, different hair colors, piercings, tats, yes to all of the above. Many men like their women more traditional.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

My daughter has been dying her hair for a while now. She's had periods where she wouldn't have it colored and even donated her hair more than a couple times because her hair grows wicked fast and they don't take dyed hair.

The first time she had it done was in the sixth grade. One of her nasty peers judged her for it and asked "does your mom know your hair is that color?" My daughter answered back "she's the one who did it"

This is her hair in the sun just last week

<------ she's 19 :)

• Like 5
amaysngrace
That's so pretty!!!

Were you thinking about coloring your hair? And what is your natural color? My daughter has very dark hair, almost black, and it's a huge process to first go blonde then to set the dye long enough to keep the color in.

But she loves it!

She's been different shades of red and purple and now blue. What color were you thinking for yourself?

• Like 1
  • Author
Cookiesandough
Were you thinking about coloring your hair? And what is your natural color? My daughter has very dark hair, almost black, and it's a huge process to first go blonde then to set the dye long enough to keep the color in.

But she loves it!

She's been different shades of red and purple and now blue. What color were you thinking for yourself?

Pink! A pale pink lol. Yes, my hair is naturally very dark brown, almost black too, but sun has turned it medium brown. I will still have to bleach it quite a bit.

I love that blue. How cool. So you do it for her? Do you use Manic Panic? I was thinking of that or Colorista by L'oreal. The colorful dyes usually fade pretty quick which is good for me as I might freak out the first time and want a 'normal' color

• Like 1
amaysngrace
Pink! A pale pink lol. Yes, my hair is naturally very dark brown, almost black too, but sun has turned it medium brown. I will still have to bleach it quite a bit.

I love that blue. How cool. So you do it for her? Do you use Manic Panic? I was thinking of that or Colorista by L'oreal. The colorful dyes usually fade pretty quick which is good for me as I might freak out the first time and want a 'normal' color

Pale pink is really pretty. My daughter's friend has dark hair with a darker complexion and she rocks pastels. They always work well for her but my daughter is way too pale so needs bold colors.

I don't do her hair anymore. She gets it professionally done and has for a while now. Are you thinking of doing it yourself? I wouldn't recommend that.

Maybe if a friend did it....MAYBE....but probably not....

<----- This was my daughter's hair when the red was taken out and before the blue was put in. You can see how detailed it is. Plus she'd never use any product that tests on animals cause that's who she is...not sure if those brands you mentioned do or don't but I know the salon she uses would never back a product that did

• Like 3
  • Author
Cookiesandough
Pale pink is really pretty. My daughter's friend has dark hair with a darker complexion and she rocks pastels. They always work well for her but my daughter is way too pale so needs bold colors.

I don't do her hair anymore. She gets it professionally done and has for a while now. Are you thinking of doing it yourself? I wouldn't recommend that.

Maybe if a friend did it....MAYBE....but probably not....

<----- This was my daughter's hair when the red was taken out and before the blue was put in. You can see how detailed it is. Plus she'd never use any product that tests on animals cause that's who she is...not sure if those brands you mentioned do or don't but I know the salon she uses would never back a product that did

Yes, I'm a little nervous on how it will work with my complexion, but you never know until you try. Your daughter's hair is so lovely! It's awesome she has fun with it.

I am actually licensed in cosmetology :lmao:

They are both cruelty-free and wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Thank you so much!!!

• Like 1
amaysngrace

I think only a few people can wear it well but have you considered silver grey?

If on the right person it can be truly striking.

I think once you take the leap you can just have fun with it and change it up. Thank you for saying she has lovely hair.

From a licensed pro that means a lot!! :)

• Like 1
Yes, I'm a little nervous on how it will work with my complexion, but you never know until you try. Your daughter's hair is so lovely! It's awesome she has fun with it.

I am actually licensed in cosmetology :lmao:

They are both cruelty-free and wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Thank you so much!!!

Cookies, I assume the pic you use as an avatar is yourself? Allow me a compliment but you have beautiful hair already. I agree that Grace's daughter hair are very lovely too.

Personally I have no problem with women dying their hair and it can be gorgeous.

For those who think it doesn't suit much older women, I dunno. Unless they have grey hair and bleach them or dye them black.

• Like 2
GorillaTheater
I think only a few people can wear it well but have you considered silver grey?

Sort of a silver blue can work, too.

<------ (daughter again, temporarily)

• Like 2

If you're thinking about it, do it!

Had a few colors in the past including ombres until I entered the work force. :(

• Like 1

If you were 18 or younger, sure. I guess. Nothing to do with me.

But if you're over 18.....I am totally going to be internally questioning it and judging you. Especially as you get farther from 18.

No, I don't even consider going for women under 25 and holy **** if this is an issue.

edit: it won't be an issue. You can just hook up with the dudes that work at Walmart or are virgins after 18.

Edited by Imported
  • Like 1

I've always had a bit of fun changing up my hair. I've done dark purple and all sorts of different reds. I went to the salon to do blonde but it was a lot of maintenance.

Last week, I decided to take the plunge, go to the salon and do what I've wanted to do for a while - go a bit mad. I now have a rainbow of blue and purples. I love it and I've had lots of compliments. My dad hates it. I've done it for me and no-one else. Not really attention either, any more than I wear make-up, do my hair and go outside in something other than a onesie. I have to stare at my hair in the mirror every day and it makes me smile.

I was a little nervous about work but, so far, there have been no problems. People are generally more accepting about it all now.

• Like 1

Brunettes wanting to go blonde makes Bastile a sad man :(

Had a girlfriend that wanted to go blonde, and we had to agree on blonde highlights.

Hair colours can be nice when feminine and girly. Not sure that I've ever seen it improve a girls appearance though. It seems more something women want to do, because they are bored and like playing with their hair.

I generally avoid women with aggressive buzz-cuts and colours, as being likely lesbian/feminist/or whatever.

And I'm basically right. I went out with a girl that was a pretty severe feminist for a bit, and she showed me pictures of when she had one of these weird hairstyles. I would never have started to begin with under that circumstance.

It's just one of the funny things about life, that the beautiful feminine girls like being approached the most. There's a reason they look like that :D

• Like 1
Brunettes wanting to go blonde makes Bastile a sad man :(

Had a girlfriend that wanted to go blonde, and we had to agree on blonde highlights.

Hair colours can be nice when feminine and girly. Not sure that I've ever seen it improve a girls appearance though. It seems more something women want to do, because they are bored and like playing with their hair.

I generally avoid women with aggressive buzz-cuts and colours, as being likely lesbian/feminist/or whatever.

And I'm basically right. I went out with a girl that was a pretty severe feminist for a bit, and she showed me pictures of when she had one of these weird hairstyles. I would never have started to begin with under that circumstance.

It's just one of the funny things about life, that the beautiful feminine girls like being approached the most. There's a reason they look like that :D

This is interesting and it got me thinking....

In my own life, I have had pretty much the same "genre" of hairstyle my whole life since the age of 18. I have thick, somewhat course blond hair and a round face, so I keep it sort of long, and it will NEVER be flat and sleek because there's too much of it. If only the 80's had lasted forever....

When I look back, EVERY time I have done something drastically different, it was during a time of stress or unhappiness. I wonder how many women suddenly do something crazy (not that color is crazy) with their hair because of discontent or unhappiness?

• Like 2
This is interesting and it got me thinking....

In my own life, I have had pretty much the same "genre" of hairstyle my whole life since the age of 18. I have thick, somewhat course blond hair and a round face, so I keep it sort of long, and it will NEVER be flat and sleek because there's too much of it. If only the 80's had lasted forever....

When I look back, EVERY time I have done something drastically different, it was during a time of stress or unhappiness. I wonder how many women suddenly do something crazy (not that color is crazy) with their hair because of discontent or unhappiness?

Maybe. There definitely is something off putting about it.

Attraction isn't really a choice that we make. So, I'm basically trying to verbalize something that is really just a switch getting triggered.

Last time I went over to talk to a woman with one of those weird styles, she legit rolled her eyes :laugh:

Easier to chat up a 10. I have to laugh sometimes at how life works.

• Like 1