Calling all male mindreaders....

All I can say is I'm with ya sister.

Oh, and that list about women is condescending.

And it is correct in every point...

I admit that I have no idea what women are thinking most of the time.

One of the reasons is they will not say what they really think.

And worse than that, they will be upset and not really know why. Then, being the sensitive and loving male that I am, has to PULL that information out by asking questions and helping her figure out what is up????????

How can you be upset and not know what is making you that way.

As much as I love women, THIS aspect of their behavior drives crazy.

And that is a short drive anyway...

People hate stereotypes but often they are "rooted," in some truth and often expose some level of vulnerability that we try to hide.

This can apply to our gender, our race/heritage, our height/weight, sexual orientation, religion etc.

Poor straight guys: They don't get a break! Women want them to understand them and then when they claim to understand them we get threads like this. (befuddled)

First, I understand women can be challenging or frustrating.

But i think the reason women object is because the WAY most men who do this tend to do it and the TOPICS they tend to claim to be experts on are, quite frankly, insulting.

For example: women are so emotional they are never logical, women don't even know what they want, women always say one thing and mean another, women cannot possibly understand that sex is important, women are gold-diggers, if you aren't rich/hot/a jerk women won;t look at you no matter what they say.

The above kinds of things are not only false, they smack of just not liking or respecting women AT ALL. THEN, when an educated woman tries to respectfully disagree, they get laughed at and treated to condescending snark.

I agree there ARE some general commonalities about MOST women ( if we see a baby we'll say something cute, we are more likely to cry over long distance commercials, we tend to be more nurturing, etc.). But some of the things used to minimize women are just wrong.

• Like 3

So we're clear, this is a discussion of mind readers one may experience in real life. It is not to be a discussion of other discussions or members on this web forum.

Here's the question:

How about instead of telling women how they think, or assuming you ( general you) know how someone must be thinking because they are female, you actually ASK them?

Excellent question. Discuss.

What a great questions. Light hearted, but with a serious side.

I think women tend to be easier to read than men simply because they show their feelings more obviously and tend to voice their issues - this is a very good thing, by the way. As a man, one of my biggest issues always has been my inability to communicate. I bottle things up and "suffer in silence", and that leads to bad things - frustration, anger, resentment.....and I'm very ashamed to say, in my case - an affair :(

I think it is safe to say that my wife is so much easier to read than me, whether the person doing the reading is a man or a woman, and that's simply because she shows and speaks her feelings all the time.

I often used to get slightly annoyed with my wife and often wondered why she was bothering to complain over such a "small thing", when I would have just kept it to myself. But I now see that her openness and easiness to read is a gift to me as a husband. I, on the other hand, had an affair...and managed to hide it, and my marrital dissatisfaction, hidden for several months. Who do you think got the best deal?

So, I do feel that women, in general, are easier to read than men, because they are more open and honest and wear their hearts on their sleeves, and I consider this a compliment and somethign to aspire to - especially in a marriage.

Of course this is a generalisation, there are lots of very open men and "closed" women. But in my experience, this is how it usually is.

Oh, and wmac, right now you are thinking of that lovely pepperoni pizza followed by a toffee fudge sundae and ice cream, that you will be having for your dinner tonight ;) and if you don't want it - please PM it to me !!!

To be clear in my answers

I have experienced quite a few mind readers who are exactly like I expressed in my in person life, and if online life is life, even more online.

So...adding to that the fact that I AM a woman, my point stands. Many men who think they know what women think about everything do not, and many who think that express it in ways that are condescending. So calling the attention of all male mind readers - just as the OP did - I would like to see that stop.

I do know we can be frustrating and a mystery at times. And I confess I have had days where I just felt "ICK" and could not really explain why. But I try not to take it out on the men in my life, because that would be unfair.

Mindreading by either gender, IMO, would fall under disrespect, just like trying to control them would.

• Like 1
Shining One

Interesting topic. I'm used to being bashed by women for not being a mind reader. I've also received negative feedback quite often for asking because "I should know what's wrong".

• Like 1

I just think it's a bit narcissistic and attention grabbing to even say something like "men, don't tell me how I think".

Who cares what you think, really? :D

But, I'll play along, go Uri Gellar for a moment, and I'll use some divination to tell you exactly what you are thinking....

....shoes....babies....shopping....

Why ask, when you can observe?

Actions speak louder than words.

Past experience is the best indicator of future experience. And this particular argument:

In spite of what some men think, women are not some sort of carbon copy template of one another. We all have our own life experiences, which colour our viewpoints.

Doesn't rub.

There are more similarities than differences. It's not like every woman I dated was a completely unique experience, free from any sort of experience that I've had in the past.

That's an obscurantist view. And It would be living like the movie Memento.

I just think it's a bit narcissistic and attention grabbing to even say something like "men, don't tell me how I think".

Who cares what you think, really? :D

But, I'll play along, go Uri Gellar for a moment, and I'll use some divination to tell you exactly what you are thinking....

....shoes....babies....shopping....

Past experience is the best indicator of future experience. And this particular argument:

Doesn't rub.

There are more similarities than differences. It's not like every woman I dated was a completely unique experience, free from any sort of experience that I've had in the past.

That's an obscurantist view. And It would be living like the movie Memento.

Just like this post (that was made by a real person, and I, a real person read it) kinda proves that a certain genre of men have more similarities than differences ;)

BTW, I wasn't thinking about babies or shoes or that other thing. I was thinking about where to buy boat wax, making sure I got to my afternoon appointment on time, and soil moisture lol

littleblackheart

On the other hand, women don't even need to ask.

Feed them, water them, gaze adoringly, admire them, sit pretty, agree to everything they say, be grateful for everything they do and you're golden - simple creatures they are, men. ;)

Just like this post (that was made by a real person, and I, a real person read it) kinda proves that a certain genre of men have more similarities than differences ;)

What genre would that be?

The sexy beast genre?

BTW, I wasn't thinking about babies or shoes or that other thing. I was thinking about where to buy boat wax, making sure I got to my afternoon appointment on time, and soil moisture lol

Yeah right...

What genre would that be?

The sexy beast genre?

Yeah right...

I'm pretty sure specifying the genre would earn me something really annoying. But you can find it on Reddit.

Seriously, I have plenty of shoes, If I found out I was having a baby I would commit myself, and It's too far from pay day to shop ;)

But I bet you are thinking about beer or pizza or boobies

• Like 2
GorillaTheater

That's not fair. I was thinking about soil moisture too after you happened to mention it.

• Like 1
That's not fair. I was thinking about soil moisture too after you happened to mention it.

That is something that I think is universal in mind reading, and since men and women are both included in universal, then it would be relevant to a mind-reading topic of real life people.

Most people start thinking about something once it is mentioned.

So none of you are allowed to think about velocaraptors. Especially women. Because sometimes men try to read their minds. I know one who did that.

• Like 1
It's called mansplaining. There's even a wikipedia page about it. ;)

Sounds like an interesting read! Think I'll head over to wiki now :laugh:

I wasn't but after your reply now I can't help it!

• Like 1

I have to admit, I have thought about buying the Kestrel Hand Held Weather Meter quite a few times...although that soil meter also sounds interesting. Too bad an Atomic Absorbtion Spectrrophotometer is out of my budget....women be shopping.

• Like 1
I have to admit, I have thought about buying the Kestrel Hand Held Weather Meter quite a few times...although that soil meter also sounds interesting. Too bad an Atomic Absorbtion Spectrrophotometer is out of my budget....women be shopping.

You could get a refurbished one on eBay for less than 20K!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Atomic+Absorption+Spectrophotometer&client=ms-android-google&sa=X&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=isvn&srpd=15644014447153597133&prds=num:1,of:1,epd:15644014447153597133&ved=0ahUKEwiKhbmYzpjVAhWhLMAKHR3EBz8QgjYI6AQ

If you ask nicely, they may just throw that soil meter in too at no extra cost!

Tempted? ;)

Well there is a lot more to starting my own lab than that, but yes. I like the chem side of environmental labs, but the env lab business is stagnating a bit, so maybe if it was a combo biofuels/environmental lab yes, I would be tempted.

Edited by LurkerXX
spelling
  • Like 1

I guess I'm not a normal shoes, babies and shopping woman. The last 24 hours I've thought mostly about how our new police chief's FBI training might change the department and swimming floats, plus whether to wake my dog up from a dream or not.

• Like 1

In the last 24 hours, I've thought about the French Revolution, the nature of human existence and the paradoxical way in which electrons can behave as both waves and particles.... until observed.

Ok, not really!

I've thought about sex, beer, pizza, how to look busy in work while posting on LS.... Oh, and sex!

Edited by jenkins95
  • Like 2

So none of you are allowed to think about velocaraptors. Especially women. Because sometimes men try to read their minds. I know one who did that.

Velociraptor = Timeraptor/Distanceraptor

• Like 3

I have not thought of beer, but I have thought of pizza, and I have called my dogs "Boobies." Does that count? Am I a man thang?

• Like 3
I have not thought of beer, but I have thought of pizza, and I have called my dogs "Boobies." Does that count? Am I a man thang?

Well that works for me! Welcome to the club preraph! And now you've got me thinking of boobies - so I thank you for that trail of thought!

• Like 1