Why do I cry at church? Does anyone else?

Getting back to the original topic, what you were experiencing was God's presence. Church is a place to be refreshed, renewed, replenished and to find peace and solace. God was speaking to you in the sermon as you stated, it seemed as it was meant for you. It was. You were crying, because you were in his presence. You can not be in the presence of God and not become emotional. The crying was just a manifestation of him being w/you, while he was comforting you. You don't have to be in church for this to happen. If you prayed at home, I mean tell him about your situation, ask for his help & comfort, you would find that you would have the same experience. When we are earnest & sincere God hears and answers prayers. He may not do it as quickly as we wish and it may not be the answer we want, but, he will do it. It mays make sad that people chose not to acknowledge God or deny that he exists. Life is not easy & was not meant to be that way, but, if I truly believed God didn't exist, what is the purpose of life? If he didn't exist, then I would've been dead at the age of 3, 11, 21...as I should've been dead, by my own hand & others, numerous times. "But God".

Ok..does anyone else experience this or just me?

I experience it quite often.

I am catholic...was raised this way......and now that I am an adult, I go to mass on my own(without my parents dragging me as they did until I was 18). I enjoy going....one thing that is happening lately is I cry almost each time I go. I do not know what happens to me? I just get very emotional. It is an overwhelming feeling. That is the only way I can describe it. I am pretty depressed with my life right now and it seems all sermons are just for me and make so much sense. The songs they sing also make me cry. It is not a sad cry, but a good one? Does anyone else have this issue? It is kind of embarassing.

I like you was raised Catholic. I am still practicing and will never leave my faith. I too find myself crying and it seems like the homilies are directed towards me. I also asked the same question, "Why do I cry? Why does it overwhelm me?" I have had many conversons in my adult life. Yes, Catholics have conversons. They are steps into a fuller understanding of God and also a deeper connection with him as well in the Catholic Church.

I have my own will and I make so many wrong choices and I know it. I am selfish and I want everything my way and not Gods way. I do what I want to do and then all of a sudden he snaps me back in my place. I don't always realize what is happening to me when it happens. I get emotional and I feel this ache. I spoke with some very very charismatic Catholic friends and also to a few Preists about these feelings and they all told me that when I run far from God and do my will and not his my soul knows that I am seperating myself from him. My soul know who God is even though my mind can't comprehend his being fully. Your soul is connected to your emotions more so then your brain. (ppl don't go scientific on me--this is a spiritual belief.) Your soul knows when you are starving for his love and guidance and when you need it the most your ears open up and you hear his words in the Gospel and explained in the Homily (as well as in the music.) You are finally hearing..

When I have been troubled like this I make an appointment with a understanding Preist and I go visit with him and in the same time make a very thorough confession. Within a few hours of councel with him and the revealing of all my thoughts and feelings I usually walk out feeling light, free, refreshed, renewed and I am stronger. When I go to Mass I do not cry but I feel free and I want to shout my joy from the rooftops.

One more thing...could it be that I feel that God is disappointed with my choices lately? Could it be that I feel guilty for leading a life that God prob is not too happy with? I do not do anyting horrible, but sometimes I put up with things that I should not and I know that I chosse things in life that make me very unhappy and hurt

Do not punish yourself more then you deserve. God knows what is best for us. We are our worse critics and no one on this earth can punish our emotions worse then ourselves. Do not beat yourself up to the point you become depressed. We all make our mistakes in life and God knows we will. We as Catholics have a gift of confession where we can get councel and support and what we confess is kept in confession.. Preists take a oath to never reveal your transgressions. God knows we make mistakes. He gave us our own free will. The mistakes we make are to teach us, we are to learn from them. What we learn in-turn we can use to help another.. What we recieve (gifts-lessons and forgiveness) we should use to help others.

Your tears are not in vain. They are the window to your lonely soul. Your soul is crying out for God to love you, put his arms around you, to forgive you, to resolve you from your transgressions. Let him... Surrender your weaknesses to him. Let him shower his love on you and strengthen you. Do not fight him. He is knocking at your heart..

I believe that most people are entitled to personal revelation, that is divine guidance in correcting thier lives, making decisions. I think what you are describing is a manifestation of the Holy Ghost testifying to you that there are changes that can be made in your life. I cry at church and when I pray sometimes too, sometimes it is because I don't think i deserve the Atonement and salvation from my sins, that I will never live worthy of them. But sometimes I am just so glad that I can be healed and repent and move forward everytime i make a mistake.

• 2 months later...
LifeRealistic

Same here - its a beautiful - good cry :) I think of all the GOD has done for us, and what pain his son had to endure for our sake. And yes the reading! I feel the same way, like the holy spirit is there and knows what I need somehow.