how to like my middle aged body

My ex told me many times its just a hormone thing that guys my age experience and just live with the small pooch. I will take her word for it. She is way smarter than my Dr will ever be having multiple degrees...

Talk with your doctor, get your testosterone levels checked. See if they can put you on a TRT program (testosterone replacement therapy). A guy at my gym, upper 50's, still in great shape when I first saw him a little over a year back, went on TRT and made HUGE gains, I mean..wow.

I have a coworker who is 60 and has a tummy pouch (always has) that she can't get rid of. She naturally eats super healthy (hates all bad foods), always eats the same thing every day and exercises at the gym 3 days a week. We also walk everyday at work on our lunch. It's just a walk though. She loves working out and going to gym and would never stop. But she can't lose her tummy pouch. It's always there. She says she does sit ups and all the other newfangled exercises to burn tummy fat but it never budges. It's baffling to me why this is as someone who doesn't diet or workout and it just makes me not see the point in dieting or working out?

Most likely it is just body shape - e.g. a certain bone structure (narrow hips) gives appearance of a pouch in slim women.

Also, no idea if she's exercising and/or dieting correctly. I thought I know how to train my abs but I was wrong - and in under 2 months just once a week with my trainer I see a massive difference.

I have a coworker who is 60 and has a tummy pouch (always has) that she can't get rid of. She naturally eats super healthy (hates all bad foods), always eats the same thing every day and exercises at the gym 3 days a week. We also walk everyday at work on our lunch. It's just a walk though. She loves working out and going to gym and would never stop. But she can't lose her tummy pouch. It's always there. She says she does sit ups and all the other newfangled exercises to burn tummy fat but it never budges. It's baffling to me why this is as someone who doesn't diet or workout and it just makes me not see the point in dieting or working out?

Tell her to use heating pad on medium for 45 mins

Next she needs to use large blue ice pack on that area. Make sure she protects her skin not to get freezer burns. This method works takes time she would need to do it 3 times a day for the rest of her life. Another way is to get the ab coaster pro it uses your own weight as resistance can add 20 lbs more what that does is focuses on the 6 pack abs area and the sides to left and right. Works for me. Not easy process you have to keep on with it. Results for me I was 4xl, 2xl, xl - now goal is L to Medium shirt size. Waist I am where I need to be. 32 - 34. Go anything more would be too skinny. For me. LOL

Buy Waist trimmer belt with a zipper on it. Use that all day long even if you can sleep with it..Put that against your skin. Over with your shirt etc.. Some women use spandex instead.

One more thing stop drinking sweet water..

Buy Rooibos Tea brew it steep it keep it at room temp drink it like a glass of wine. Another glass do the same with pure Green Tea that helps with weight loss and more drink both no sugar water okay. She'll see results.

Stomach working you eat 6 times a day you add 3 snacks to life gives you 6 meals instead of the 3 meals for regular life. Goal is more protein for your stomach when you work it out.

Edited by coolheadal

I'm 45, and I'm a little fat, gained about 15 lb over the past year. I am working on losing that but I still won't be what you call "skinny". I am comfortable at a size 10 in clothes, now I'm 12 and pushing 14 if I don't do something about it (which I am). I like my body overall, and I think at my age I look better at a bit higher size than lower, I don't want to be size 4 or 6 now. 8 or 10 would be good.

I'm going to Weight Watchers. Having someone weigh you weekly keeps you motivated to not overeat. Although I gained the 15 lb since my husband and I moved in together (by eating with him and not paying attention that I'm smaller than him and shouldn't eat what he eats), before that I kept my weight stable by eating only two meals a day and no snacks. The meals would be almost always the same, with small variations. They'd be about 7-800 cal each.

When I did lose about 25 lb around 2013 I did that by going to the gym 5x/week and also only eating two meals a day: at 11am and at 5pm, only that the 5pm one would be small: cornflakes with milk, soup or a salad with protein.

So yeah, to keep my weight I absolutely cannot eat three meals a day and add snacks besides one piece of fruit maybe. Unless I eat a half grapefruit in the morning and call that a meal. That's not a meal to me, so I don't do it.

So overall, I hate my thighs, but hate is too strong of a word. I have a hourglass shape and I'm heavier on the bottom, have a big round butt, that is getting less round with age, but stays big lol I'm fine with it. I am more concerned about my face, which is round and getting rounder if I gain weight. But who is perfect? I'm very happy and want to be slimmer so I'm healthy and live a long life. I don't exercise now, as in gym stuff, just walk every day with the dogs.

Edited by BluEyeL
  • 1 month later...

I have found lifting weights (especially heavy weights doing compound movements) to be really helpful at reshaping my body and toning things up. It should help with the metabolism too since muscle needs more calories than fat. People tend to lose muscle mass with age so that might be why it's harder.

As for the diet, 1200 calories seems really low. I'm not sure of your weight and height but I personally I find anything under 1400 and I start getting hormonal imbalances, etc.

I would also look into a 'reverse diet'. It will help you get back to a higher number of calories post diet without gaining back all the weight. Lyle McDonald has some really good videos on this subject on youtube.