I hate my parents for having a lot of kids

foreverdancer

• Author
foreverdancer
I'm confused... it is YOUR education. Why aren't you paying for it yourself?

You are an adult, yes? Why not work to support yourself and go to school? Debt for college is carried by most young folks. Student loans are designed to help with that.

What are you using there money and allowance for? How much do you work? Have you always worked?what jobs do you have experience in?

For one, I'm not from the US, so the educational system here is different (read: it sucks). We don't have student loans. Also, the cultural norms are different with regard to working and studying. The kids who work while still in high school and college are pretty much from families that are economically disadvantaged. Independence is such a foreign concept here. Some children stay with their families well into their thirties. I don't subscribe to these norms, and what I REALLY want is to transfer to one of the top 3 law schools in the country but my parents can't afford it and I'd have to kill myself with work AND study at the same time if I really wanted to go to one of my desired schools. Maybe I'm just being a baby but it's supremely difficult... anyway, this is a totally different topic and I'd rather not talk about it because I'm not *ready* to address it even to myself.

stillafool
For one, I'm not from the US, so the educational system here is different (read: it sucks). We don't have student loans. Also, the cultural norms are different with regard to working and studying. The kids who work while still in high school and college are pretty much from families that are economically disadvantaged. Independence is such a foreign concept here. Some children stay with their families well into their thirties. I don't subscribe to these norms, and what I REALLY want is to transfer to one of the top 3 law schools in the country but my parents can't afford it and I'd have to kill myself with work AND study at the same time if I really wanted to go to one of my desired schools. Maybe I'm just being a baby but it's supremely difficult... anyway, this is a totally different topic and I'd rather not talk about it because I'm not *ready* to address it even to myself.

Yes you are being a complete baby by not doing more for yourself. Do you know how many people have worked and put themselves through college, law school, etc.? Some single mothers have done this even with kids in tow. You are ungrateful and need help for your selfishness.

• Like 1

I would have loved to travel in Europe after school too, but I couldn't afford it and I wasn't about to ask my parents to pay for me to backpack with friends in Europe. There are some dreams that are just not meant to be... But, life goes on.

Seriously, it's a nice dream to study at one of the top law schools but who wants to incure that much debt before you even begin your career. And, it is certainly not your parents responsibility to pay for law school. You should be GRATEFUL that they are willing to do anything at all.

Oh, the working world is going to be really, really hard for you when you get your first job. Your first boss will see your spoiled and entitled attitude for what it is and they will NOT be very impressed at all... It's going to be a harsh reality for you, I'm afraid.

If not going to a top 3 university is the biggest issue for you right now, I suggest you start counting your blessings.

You are a very lucky girl to have only this as a concern.

LivingWaterPlease
Okay... so I did some reflecting and I realized that it isn't right for me to blame my parents for everything and hate them. While I disagree with their choices and their beliefs and I'm still unconvinced about marrying for love and having kids myself, I'm more forgiving of them now. I'm glad I started this thread because there's no one I could talk to about this in real life (except for the school counselor who I'm going to see soon). I've been looking for part-time work so I'll be able to have my own allowance and not burden my parents with my own needs I could pay for myself. Thanks for the responses everyone (even though some were way too snarky for my liking).

Way to go, forever dancer! Just the fact that you have thought about it and are open minded enough to change your perspective in response to counsel is impressive.

Also, to come back to the thread and admit you've changed in response to advice shows character.

Wishing you loads of success!

Agree with Basil. Either move out, or get a job and pay rent to your parents, so they can buy socks for your siblîngs.

For the record, I suspect your parents did use some form of birth control. I ran this past my husband, who is one of nine, my dad, who is one of ten, and my grandfather, who is one of sixteen. They all said your parents are slackers.

you ran this past your husband, i cannot comprehend this

Do you mean you ran into your ex Husband and told him about this?

sorry if i offended you by saying ex