• Author
Only way to find out is to eat a meal with meat in it and see if you feel better.

A few years ago, I went vegetarian for about two months till I couldn't do it anymore. However my problem wasn't like what you're describing.

Thanks Jay but I don't think I'd want to do that. I'd rather just be tired until I try other things to boost my energy.

I don't know why I'm so tired all the time but it's really starting to bother me. I have a lot that I should be doing.

I've been vegan since the beginning of summer and I've recently been becoming so tired. I don't know why that is and if my diet has anything to do with it but I can't believe how much I've been sleeping lately.

Has anybody else had this happen and what did you do to help it?

Goodness! I am a long time vegetarian and attempting to return to the meat world. Not doing so well. I have decided not to make the complete omnivore conversion.

Are you eating enough protein! Healthy fats?

• Like 1
  • Author
Goodness! I am a long time vegetarian and attempting to return to the meat world. Not doing so well. I have decided not to make the complete omnivore conversion.

Are you eating enough protein! Healthy fats?

I think I eat enough healthy protein and fats but I googled "vegan fatigue" and it says I may be vitamin B-12 deficient or have an iron deficiency so I took both of those just a bit ago along with biotin that was next to them. I forget why I was taking biotin but they were all three together along with a probiotic so I must have read somewhere that I should be taking biotin too.

I think I'm going to start there and see how that feels.

Why are you going back to meat? Lately I've been craving a scrambled egg.

I've been vegan since the beginning of summer and I've recently been becoming so tired. I don't know why that is and if my diet has anything to do with it but I can't believe how much I've been sleeping lately.

Has anybody else had this happen and what did you do to help it?

You probably have low iron, low b12 and other major vitamins and minerals missing from your diet.

Sorry to say this but the few people I know who are vegan are the most unhealthy. One of them catches everything and gets sick often. The other just doesn't feel well a lot of times.

Go to your Dr, get a full physical and blood work done. chances are you'll need b12 shots, iron supplements etc.

• Like 1
Thanks Jay but I don't think I'd want to do that. I'd rather just be tired until I try other things to boost my energy.

I don't know why I'm so tired all the time but it's really starting to bother me. I have a lot that I should be doing.

Vitamin D, magnesium could be factor too.

• Like 1
  • Author
Vitamin D, magnesium could be factor too.

I don't know what this is all about. I just want to get a handle on it because I'm not enjoying feeling this way very much.

My doc ran tests on me but it was back in June so it was before I went vegan or just shortly thereafter.

Thanks though. I'll look into getting a good multi vitamin tomorrow that has both of those just to play it safe.

I don't know what this is all about. I just want to get a handle on it because I'm not enjoying feeling this way very much.

My doc ran tests on me but it was back in June so it was before I went vegan or just shortly thereafter.

Thanks though. I'll look into getting a good multi vitamin tomorrow that has both of those just to play it safe.

It is amazing how low iron and b12 can mess with your body and mind, feeling blah and low energy. do you get body aches too? No energy in your limbs?

GO back, a lot can change in a few months.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 2
I think I eat enough healthy protein and fats but I googled "vegan fatigue" and it says I may be vitamin B-12 deficient or have an iron deficiency so I took both of those just a bit ago along with biotin that was next to them. I forget why I was taking biotin but they were all three together along with a probiotic so I must have read somewhere that I should be taking biotin too.

I think I'm going to start there and see how that feels.

Why are you going back to meat? Lately I've been craving a scrambled egg.

Ok, good. Yeah, those things are important too. Iron deficiency is common among vegans, vegetarians if not careful.

I was never a full vegetarian as I love my dairy and ate eggs on a rare occasion. I went back to meat to add bulk quicker w/o ridiculously breaking the break with all these fancy proteins. It's been working, but I get a little UGH from eating meat. I need to find another place like Luvin' Hut. The food was savory and rich. Hear of that place? Not too many around.

I'm in the Salt Lake City area and seriously looking for healthy, savory vegetarian food. No luck thus far.

• Like 1
  • Author

@ simpleNfit

I never heard of Luvin Hut but I've been to a couple vegan food festivals over the summer. They were mostly pop ups but some of the food was really amazing.

Vegetarians can eat eggs and dairy and still be considered one. Vegans are the ones who don't do any animal by-products. We eat plant based only.

Do you have Whole Foods near you? They have vegan options at their soup bar and usually have some type of vegan pizza offered daily.

todreaminblue

hey amay....i used to be vegetarian turned veg after visiting an abbatoir as a school excursion of agriculture....the cows know whats going on and they are scared ....*&^%$less....traumatised me let alone the poor cows .....

i go on and off meat...normally if i watch one of those peta videos ,yep turns me right off meat for a while but i am b12 deficient and i struggle with energy....anyhoo.....i have some veg recipies ill post some for you i have some good veggie books

i used to use products like tenderbits.....soya links..... tvp(textured veg protein) and vitaburger....even my meat and fish loving dad loved my vitaburgers and beef stroganoff made with veg protein(tenderbits) and thickened soya milk and mushies..... sanitarium make these vegetarian products and also have a recipe book(but its an old book).....my mum used to make this meat loaf from nuts and it was so meaty....and yummmy......served it with a tomato sauce.....to die for....i will try and get that one for you too or one close to it...have you tried quorn(like a mince)? i havent tried quorn but i have heard good things....deb

• Like 1

We are omnivores but at one point went vegetarian to save a bit of money, and from there found ourselves becoming unintentionally vegetarian or even sometimes vegan. As I find myself more worried about things like climate change and animal welfare, I've decided I don't want to eat anything that isn't from a farm I trust. My husband is off of whole dairy because despite being pretty thin his cholesterol is awful. So here we are, sometimes unintentional vegans again! I can't say I mind because fruit and vegetables are so delicious.

- Cashew milk is my favorite, texture-wise. Unsweetened vanilla cashew milk is great for baking!

- Rather than try to replicate meat and dairy, just lean into how good fresh produce is. Get as many heirloom and local varieties as you can of everything.

- Walnut oil is a great swap for coconut oil and has a fraction of the saturated fat.

- My husband loved this recipe. The only changes I made was to add some more adobo sauce and a couple spoonful of a chicken tikka masala sauce lingering in the fridge. Some of her recipes are hit or miss, though.

• Like 2

I still eat rice and bean (rice n peas) I put everything into it takes 30 mins micro-steamer.. Enough protein in my meals. Even if you eat other things but just have to watch it. Orgainc (cash cow) really sad that cost so much. I can't always buy that like I use too. Just over price of the same stuff. I grow avocado and mango here after Irma got none now.. But those are beyond Organic or Farm Fresh those are real deal. You would never get that in the market. I make smoothies with mango with spinach , green tea and rooi bos tea. Those two teas has a lot for us all. If you eat chicken/fish or dabble into meats you are not vegan or vegg at all. If you switch back it's a heavy detox on your body.. Fish you don't have to detox.. Really shouldn't cross over back but a lot of Vegans do eat fish. I have cereal that has 30 G of protein.

Edited by coolheadal
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Tonight I made mashed potatoes with gravy that were so good! I was wondering how I was going to do thanksgiving dinner this year and these are perfect!

I also picked up vegan marshmallows (no gelatin) and I'm going to use them in our traditional sweet potato casserole. I'll be giving that a trial run hopefully sometime this week.

But I got so tired being vegan. I had no idea how many nutrients we humans get from animal products and it really caused me to feel so fatigued. I've since done my research and am now taking the proper supplements and it's made a huge difference. The hardest part is finding vegan sources especially to replace fish oil and avoiding gelatin in all of the supplements.

I'm currently taking about ten a day but I feel terrific!

• Author
How'd you make the mashed potatoes, no milk?

Yea no milk :laugh:

They wouldn't be vegan if they used milk.

Here's the recipe, I sautéed the garlic because something is wrong with my oven right now that it won't heat up past like around 200 degrees no matter how long I preheat it for so I wasn't able to roast it.

https://minimalistbaker.com/the-best-damn-vegan-mashed-potatoes/

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Just tried my hand at making vegan Parmesan cheese. I cook Italian for Christmas and am still going to fry up some brajole, (braciole) meatballs, and sausage for the fellas but we are nixing the homemade cheese ravioli this year and I am serving vegan gnocchi instead that we've had before and are absolutely delicious.

Anyway, I got the recipe from minimalist baker whose cooking I adore and I just tried it on pasta prima vera and it's going to work!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Author
amaysngrace

Well I'm coming up on a year now (or maybe am there) and I miss eggs something awful but the thought of eating one once I really think about it totally grosses me out.

Yesterday I ate vegetarian, some penne and eggplant parm with cheese, because I was at a baby shower and really wanted to try.

My stomach hurt all night and I only ate a little bit. :(

Ugh. I tried! I tried all the meat replacement options and I can't!

Tofu is too processed and apparently plays on oestrogen level.

Tofurkey is :sick:

There's only so much beans and nuts I can eat y'all!

I gave up. Spending more money on free range/run/organic/no antibiotics/local meat instead...

• Like 2
  • Author
amaysngrace

Mixing free range organic cow meat into meatballs made my hands break out in a rash right across my knuckles.. It was the strangest thing.

My body rejects animals and animal by products as food like crazy now.

Gardein is really good. I love mostly everything I've tried by them so far.