We've been talking for almost three weeks [UPDATED how to keeep texting flowing?]

introverted1
Who texts someone every single day and heavily flirts with them if they aren't interested?

The question is, what is he interested in?

Lots of broken/damaged people are willing to engage in cyber relationships,with no intention of ever meeting the person on the other side of the keyboard. It's easy to create false intimacy via email and text.

Until/unless you meet, you are involved in a fantasy, nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Author

So things with this guy have gone really strangely now.

He set off for vacation last Saturday. I figured I wouldn't hear much from him since he was away somewhere. But to my surprise he talked to me even more than ever. From Sunday-Thursday, we talked more than ever before. Snap-chatting and talking all day, and texting at night. He sent me photos of what he was doing and selfies and I did it on my end. We flirted a ton. Everything seemed really great. He called me cute many times, sometimes multiple times a day. "Good thing you're so cute. " and "Wow Alex, you are so cute."

Wednesday we talked all day long, and then it died out around 5PM. I usually always hear from him at around 7PM and we talk all night until we go to sleep. Its our pattern every day. He always texts me. I was out with friends and was surprised I didn't hear from him. At around 10PM he sends me a message saying "You know you can text me first sometimes."

It was cute and I responded saying "maybe once I will."

We laughed and talked as we usually do.

The next day, Thursday, we snapped and talked all day. It died out again around 5PM. I knew he was getting on a flight that night at around 8PM, so I texted him first to tell him to have a good flight.

He immediately responded with a shocked face emoji and saying he couldn't believe I texted first. He thanked me and then told me "I hope you don't miss me too much tonight."

I laughed knowing we couldn't talk since he would be in the air, but reassured him I made plans to go out.

The next day, Friday, I tried to give him space to get back from his vacation. Part of me was hoping since he was back, he would want to make a plan to meet me soon, before he went back to school. He didn't talk to me most of the day, but finally started snap chatting me at around 2PM. We went back and forth for a while. Then I decided to text him around dinner time. I decided to be bold and told him "for someone so confident, you are terrible at making a plan to meet me."

He thought it was hilarious and cute that I was so out there. He then asked if I was free on Monday.

I found it odd since it was only Friday, that he didn't want to make a weekend plan with me. I was not free Monday and told him so, but offered up other times during the weekend and after Monday I was free. I was trying to be flexible.

He didn't answer me for over an hour, but then said "Ok, I will figure out what I'm doing and maybe we can do Sunday night."

I said okay, but again found it suspicious. Couldn't he figure it out and just tell me. Its either you are free or you are not.

Part of me tried to give him the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe he didn't have a car here since he was visiting his parents and was trying to work out transportation.

Later friday he started texting me again. He was very flirty and into me. We went back and forth for a long while. At one point he even said " Sunday is going to be your day."

I found it reassuring that he brought it up again, so I asked him "whats the plan?"

He said he was still " trying to figure it out," but he would definitely let me know tomorrow, meaning Saturday.

We ended the conversation and everything seemed pretty good.

Yesterday, Saturday came, and I didn't hear from him all day long. I was losing hope, fast. Finally at around 8PM, he started talking to me. What was weird to me was that usually our conversations are very engaging and we bounce back and forth with each other. He seemed distracted. This was weird to me, because it isn't his usual self, but he initiated it. I would say something and then his answer was very simple and not much to bounce off of. I struggled to keep the conversation going.

My friends re-assured me that he initiated it so even if he was busy or distracted he still wanted to talk to me.

As the night went on though, I kept waiting for the Sunday plans. At around 11 PM, I sent him a response, and never heard from him again.

I was crushed. No mention of plans. Now I question if he ever was going to meet me to begin with. Maybe this is all a game he plays all the time.

I kind of feel played, that I was texting and flirting with a guy for almost a month, who doesn't want to meet me. It makes no sense to me, why he would do that. Some of my friends think he did like me, but he knows his lifestyle of him going back to school is not ideal to get attached to someone.

Part of me wonders if he was looking for a hookup at first, but then realized I wasn't that type of girl so he just kept chatting with me instead. I don't know his motives or reasons, and I may never. I have a feeling he will talk to me later today like nothing is wrong. Ignoring the elephant in the room. Maybe he won't talk to me again. I have no idea. I guess now I know not to put too much effort into it anymore. Its really sad. He and I seemed to get along so well.

Now its Sunday and almost 10AM and I'm thinking about just making other plans with my day. Thats only fair to me. I can't sit waiting for something that might not happen. And if he does contact me about it, I might just have to tell him I never heard from him and made other plans.

I'm highly disappointed over the whole thing. I put myself out there for nothing.

The only thing keeping me afloat right now is that I am confident I didn't do anything wrong. Gives me a little piece of mind.

Any thoughts??

Edited by amkxoxo

Maybe he has a girlfriend, or he's (or she?) a catfish using someone's real identity and pictures. An interested guy would be easy to meet.

• Like 1

This guy isn't really making time for you.....and here you are doing that chasing thing again that you told yourself not to do. You already put it out there, now you should leave it up to him to set up a date. If he drags his feet, just leave it, don't force it or force conversations. If he isn't "bouncing off" in the texts, just tell him you have to go out. Be less available right?

• Like 1

I think the vast majority have given you the advice of, "you're living in a fantasy"...

Look, you never met him. He did not mention of meeting you either. You should recognize this giant red flag. Don't get so "involved" with someone you never meet. It's been a month of wasted time. He owes you nothing. He could be a bored 12 year old playing catfish. Plenty of people are looking for PayPals or who already have boyfriends and girlfriends on the internet.

Bottom line: you need some common sense in recognizing red flags when they're waving in your face. Use this as a learning experience. Sorry this didn't work out, but there was nothing to ever work out in the first place.

Most probably he is nothing like what he described himself to be. He maybe a middle aged guy texting you with pics of his younger brother or son.

Or he could be married and his wife was away for some time.

Or a gf...

Or he was just enjoying having fun with you....

Not the same situation but the main reason I don't ask for her number after a "successful" flirting episode is because I am seeing someone else and have no interest in pursuing anything further. It's just fun to flirt sometimes.

• Author

Well he did start messaging me this afternoon acting super nice and interested in me. I acted casual, and tried to act like I really didn't care.

I never brought it up, but he told me himself "I'm so sorry about Saturday, my moms birthday is today (Sunday) and we were preparing a surprise party for her, and today was the party. Its killing me your not going to be around tomorrow. It would have been perfect. I would be done with my homework and am free all day. "

I told him that I have had plans tomorrow for a long while and I cannot change them. But if he wants to meet me then tell me ahead of time and commit to it.

He seemed all for it. And then was even saying "get your butt back here soon please"

I just feel I can't take this too seriously. This is the second cancellation. Now he's talking to me and being very attentive. I was giving him very vague "yeahs" and "yups" and I could tell he was trying extra hard to talk to me. Don't know what to think. He's texting me and snap-chatting me as always.

I never brought it up, but he told me himself "I'm so sorry about Saturday, my moms birthday is today (Sunday) and we were preparing a surprise party for her, and today was the party. Its killing me your not going to be around tomorrow. It would have been perfect. I would be done with my homework and am free all day. "

Didn't he know about the party before?

I have got exact same excuse from guys before... mom's birthday... and exactly on the day of the date... same situation.

Tell him you are free tomorrow and see what he says... :p

• Author

He keeps trying to talk to me and I can tell he's trying hard. I feel bad because I've been giving some short curt answers and sometimes not answering and letting it go. Its not our usual fun conversation when I'm not fully invested like I used to be. I don't know if I should keep talking like we used to, which would be nice, or kind of not be as engaged. My mom thinks he's a liar and keeps telling me in crazy for being so engaged with talking with him.

I know its not a catfish and he is who he says because we have a bunch of mutual friends online. HIs Facebook has tons of original photos of him. He has sent me snapchat selfies that are authentic looking and his family members, have commented on things. Its for real.

He keeps trying to talk to me and I can tell he's trying hard. I feel bad because I've been giving some short curt answers and sometimes not answering and letting it go. Its not our usual fun conversation when I'm not fully invested like I used to be. I don't know if I should keep talking like we used to, which would be nice, or kind of not be as engaged. My mom thinks he's a liar and keeps telling me in crazy for being so engaged with talking with him.

I know its not a catfish and he is who he says because we have a bunch of mutual friends online. HIs Facebook has tons of original photos of him. He has sent me snapchat selfies that are authentic looking and his family members, have commented on things. Its for real.

Look, in order to give yourself peace of mind about the whole situation. You're just going to have to meet him or move on. Like a poster suggested above, tell him you're free tomorrow or give him another specific date of when you are free and see if he takes the bait. If he's serious about meeting you, he will make an attempt or an effort. It makes no sense to torture yourself like that over someone who isn't even going half the effort you are.

• Author

I'm open to meet him, if he is indeed serious about it.

I'm not waiting around anymore. But do you recommend I keep texting him and flirting like we have been doing?

I'm open to meet him, if he is indeed serious about it.

I'm not waiting around anymore. But do you recommend I keep texting him and flirting like we have been doing?

Ask him for a specific date and time. And keep contact in between, dont get too carried away. If you meet him and things seem genuine then you can escalate.

Scarlett.O'hara

To be honest, no I wouldn't keep texting him. I would cut him off from all the long texting sessions until you actually meet.

If you want him to take you seriously then you have to assert some boundaries. If he wants to keep talking, then you have to meet.

I'm not sure why you keep playing along like cancelling twice is no big deal. All that tells him is that he can do it again as long as he offers you sweet words afterwards. Actions speak louder than words.

It doesn't sound like he has any intention of meeting, he is just giving you enough hope so you will keep chatting with him. I'm not going to speculate why, but his behavior suggests that he is going keep making excuses.

Having a text-buddy would be fine if it was no big deal for you, but it sounds like you are already getting attached which means this is going to end up messing with your head.

Be careful about repeating the same patterns you did with your ex.

• Like 3
  • Author

I'm just such a nice person. I want people to like me. My mom keeps telling me not to be pushover. Like I feel guilty. He kept trying so hard to flirt and talk to me last night and I was a little more reserved. Like I could have texted him all night long back and forth if I wasn't so reserved. I told him I was hanging out with friends. So I tried to just look like I was busy. I think he could sense something was off. My mom told me not to feel bad. He left me hanging for plans and I was feeling bad. I just want to talk to him because I want him to like me. Be that girl I've been all along that he seems to like. But I also don't want to seem deserpate and a pushover. Like this morning I sent him a snapchat. And all he did was send me an emoji back. He never ever does that. He always likes to talk. He told me he hates just emoji messages.

LivingDeadGrl
I'm just such a nice person. I want people to like me. My mom keeps telling me not to be pushover. Like I feel guilty. He kept trying so hard to flirt and talk to me last night and I was a little more reserved. Like I could have texted him all night long back and forth if I wasn't so reserved. I told him I was hanging out with friends. So I tried to just look like I was busy. I think he could sense something was off. My mom told me not to feel bad. He left me hanging for plans and I was feeling bad. I just want to talk to him because I want him to like me. Be that girl I've been all along that he seems to like. But I also don't want to seem deserpate and a pushover. Like this morning I sent him a snapchat. And all he did was send me an emoji back. He never ever does that. He always likes to talk. He told me he hates just emoji messages.

You're right, you are just such a nice person and that's exactly why you're still giving this dimwit a chance.

My advice is to either start ignoring him or tell him you're not looking for a texting buddy so unless he wants to meet, you're out.

If he liked you as much as he claims to he would have made every opportunity to hang out with you already. Instead he's cancelled twice, and let me guess, has made no arrangements or plans or set a day to meet with you?

He's getting something out of this, whether it's attention to boost his ego or just leading you on gives him pleasure who knows. Does he have a girlfriend possibly?

I'd move on if I were you. You're so worried about if he likes you or not and worried that he replies with just an emoji and you haven't even met him yet. Stop giving him the time of day, he doesn't deserve it.

I think you have a flawed definition of "nice." Nice people can and do enforce boundaries. Agreeing (through actions) to have a "pen-pal" relationship with someone who does not have any interest in meeting you (nor in respecting your time) is not "nice." Rather, it suggests that you have issues with self-esteem that you continue to engage with this man after he has shown you how little interest he truly has in you.

• Like 2
  • Author

You guys are right. My mom says similar. I think I know it deep down too. I'm trying so hard to be strong. I don't want to be nor am I a desperate girl. I have to keep reminding myself of that. I'm strong. I have a great job. I make solid money. I have a great apartment. And good friends and family. So with or without this guy, I have a great life. So someone who doesn't want to put effort into being in my life, isn't worth my time.

I don't have super low self esteem per se, but I struggle with men. I don't meet men often that I really like. So when I do, its like I get so excited and will do anything. But its sad and desperate and I'm worth more than that. I make excuses for them and want to believe what they say and that they are good people, but actions are actions and I cannot keep seeing words as reality.

• Like 1
LivingDeadGrl
You guys are right. My mom says similar. I think I know it deep down too. I'm trying so hard to be strong. I don't want to be nor am I a desperate girl. I have to keep reminding myself of that. I'm strong. I have a great job. I make solid money. I have a great apartment. And good friends and family. So with or without this guy, I have a great life. So someone who doesn't want to put effort into being in my life, isn't worth my time.

I don't have super low self esteem per se, but I struggle with men. I don't meet men often that I really like. So when I do, its like I get so excited and will do anything. But its sad and desperate and I'm worth more than that. I make excuses for them and want to believe what they say and that they are good people, but actions are actions and I cannot keep seeing words as reality.

I've struggled with that also. I've learned that words mean nothing unless they are backed up with actions. I finally met a man that says and does things that match, and he is absolutely amazing. You will too, I would just try not to get attached to anyone until their actions match their words as hard as it is.

• Like 1
  • Author

He has been talking and snap chatting with me daily as he always does. He's so nice. It’s hard to be mad, when he acts so nice and interested in me. At this point, I have no hope we will meet, and I have made peace with that. At this point I have nothing to lose since he’s leaving for school. So last night while we were texting, I reached out and said “It doesn’t seem like you want to meet me.”

He responded back saying “I do really want to meet you, I’m just so overwhelmed right now. I have to pack all of my things and prepare not to be home for 10 months, which is the longest I’ve ever been away. It’s been insane.” He is leaving this Sunday.

Whether it’s an excuse or it isn’t, I have just come to terms that he seems to like me a lot, but his answer to my inquiry showed me he is too busy for a woman in his life. Now I know, and I can't chase or force wrong timing. We might meet, and we might not. I am single and open to meeting people. And it’s very unfortunate that the timing is not quite right for he and I. He isn’t coming back here for ten months. Not an ideal situation. He’s a nice guy, but I am not sitting waiting around holding my breath for him. Part of me even wonders now if it’s not even a good idea to meet. I may end up liking him a lot in person, and then will be crushed by his absence this weekend.

His life is so busy. He goes to school full time and on weekends he coaches soccer and travels with the school team. Every day in the summer he is off playing soccer and travelling with a team himself. I don’t think he’s looking nor has time for any sort of girlfriend. But hey, who knows. He could meet a girl. I could meet a guy in the next year. He graduates in Spring of 2018. He could decide to come back here and if we are both single, we could re-connect and see. He could decide to move somewhere else and never come back. It’s unfortunate, I had to meet someone who is nice, cute, and so much my type, whose lifestyle isn’t ready to settle and commit.

It’s really weird that I saw a reputable psychic this past year and she told me she sees me meeting someone whom I already know, but how it wouldn’t be obvious I would know this person. This guy and I joke all the time that we practically saw each other and knew each other at school, but never officially met. We were the same major and minor. Kind of crazy. Then the psychic told me she saw me meeting this person at a place where people “meet” each other on a large scale.

He and I met through a Facebook page for alumni students. This page in particular was made for alumni to meet other alumni and help each other. That’s a place where people meet and hundreds of people are on the page. She told me this person and I will not be together right away, as I focus on my career, but we will re-connect in two years and then things will work out, as timing will be better. Seems awfully strange. But at the same time, this could be anyone, so I’m not betting on it. Just seems strange that his schooling is going to be done in two years.

Right now, I just enjoy talking to him while I can, and I’m focusing on where my life is headed, as I’m single and just trying to fill my life with fun and enjoyable moments.

I think the only thing that causes me some sadness is the thought of not talking. I've talked with this man every day for one month now. The day he doesn't text me or want to talk, will be sad. I look forward to it. We may barely or never talk again once he's back in school. Its a little sad that we did make a small connection. We seem to enjoy each others company. But that it may all just come to a stop or halt one day. The unknown is scary.

Edited by amkxoxo
  • Author

So again this guy brings up making plans with me. Asks if I'm free tomorrow earlier. I say no because I have to work. But offer that I have a lunch break. He then almost tries to convince me to call in sick to go on an adventure with him. I tell him I cannot and though I sometimes call in sick for adventures, tomorrow is not that day. I tell him that I at least have to work most of the day. Even until noon time if I was to leave and that my job is important to me.

He also springs on me that instead of leaving Sunday which he told me a while ago, he is now leaving Friday. How convenienant. Friday is the day after tomorrow.

So now he's all in a rush to see me?

Its all way too suspicious. He tells me he is going to wake up and go to the gym and then text me about possibly meeting up for a little while. Because he can't make a secure plan like all the other times. I have little, wait no hope that he will see me.

I just truly don't understand why he is doing this. Even before this conversation he was texting me and nice to me and interested in my life. Its frustrating.

• Author

And he flaked again. Said he would text me this morning about plans. He texted me. Made cute chit chat, then told me he was going to the gym, and said nothing about seeing me. Its unfortunate. Not surprised. Just glad I didn't take a day off from work to see this guy.

• Author

Does he like me?

This guy added me as a friend on Facebook. After seeing we had multiple mutual friends, I accepted. He started liking my photos. Then a month ago started chatting with me. We went to college together, and probably saw each other a ton of times, but never met. He seemed really nice and we hit it off. He asked for my phone number so we could text. He started texting me every single day and we would talk for hours. We started heavily flirting.

The first two weeks we were talking, I was far away visiting family for the holidays. He even messaged me on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve. When I returned, I figured he and I would make plans to meet. Finally I mentioned something about it on a Tuesday. He mentioned getting together Thursday, and that we would go over details the next day. Wednesday comes and he tells me he feels like he is getting sick and isn’t sure about us getting together. He tells me he will let me know on Thursday if he feels any better and if not, we can make it Friday.

Thursday I wait around all day and he doesn’t talk to me until later in the day. At that point, I realize that he probably doesn’t feel well, and I do my own thing. We text for hours as usual, but he says nothing about our plans. Friday he says nothing about them again. It was like we never had plans to begin with.

He then goes on vacation with his family for a week.

To my surprise, he almost talks to me more when he’s there, which is surprising since he's on vacation. Texting and snap chatting all day long every day. Flirting heavily. He seemed really into me. I was so excited for him to return.

At this point we have about a week to see each other, when he comes back. He goes to school 4 hours away and he won’t be coming back for 10 months.

He always initiated everything, so at one point he even texted me saying “You know you can message me first sometimes.” It was super cute, that he wanted me to talk to him, so I have messaged him here and there a few times, but have tried to let him still do it mostly.

We even started forming some inside jokes and it was cute and funny to talk about them.

He returns from his vacation and I figured he’d jump to make plans with me. I wait all day on Friday and then finally mention something myself. He asks if I am free Monday. I tell him no, because I had many doctor’s appointments lined up that had been planned for a long time. He claims Monday was perfect and he was so bummed I was not free. I offered up other times I was free. He then said maybe he was free on Sunday night. He then tells me he will go over details with me on Saturday. He even says “Sunday is your day.”

I wait all day Saturday until he messages me late. He says nothing about plans. I wait all day Sunday. He starts messaging me in the afternoon. He talks nice and cute to me. But mentions nothing about plans.

He then goes into this whole thing about how he’s sad I am having to go to the doctors all day Monday because he was free all day and he really wanted us to spend time together. He then said he was sorry about today (Sunday), and that they had a surprise party for his mom and he has had so much homework for school. It seemed like all excuses, but he’s so nice, and I didn’t want to think that.

He then was asking me when I would be back from the doctors and he acted like he couldn’t wait. I messaged him when I was done and he talked to me as he usually did, but no mention of plans. He still proceeded to talk to me every day. It made no sense to me. Why talk to me every day and seem into me, but then never want to meet me?

At this point, the inside jokes are getting less and less impressive, as we talk about them in every conversation, but never meet each other. He sends me this one emoji a lot as a joke between us. One of the times he sent it, I nicely told him it was losing its oomph. He said “You must be getting used to it.” And now I’ve noticed he hasn’t sent it again. I didn’t want to ruin what we had. He still talks and flirts with me. But how long can we send the same stuff and not meet?

One of the days we were talking and I outwardly asked him “Why don’t you want to meet me?”

He came back and said that “I really do want to meet you, but I’m so busy right now preparing to go back to school. I’ve never been gone for so long before, so I have a lot of preparing to do and it has me extremely busy.”

This is on Wednesday, two days ago. He then asks me if I am free the next day during the day. I tell him no and that I work full time. He then acts like that stinks and we totally could have done something. Then he almost tries to get me to play hooky from work to spend time with him. If we had met before and had a thing going, I totally would have, but with his track record of bailing on me, I wasn’t going to skip work for a hope. Plus, we had never met before. I told him I had to work, but I did have a long lunch break, if we did want to meet up. He made it seem like that would be good. He told me he would wake up and text me in the morning.

I had high hopes. I dressed extra nice for work. He texted me in the morning. Was talking all nicey nice. We texted back and forth for a while. It got closer to lunch time. He didn’t mention any plans, but then tells me he is going to the gym.

I knew at that moment, he wasn’t going to meet me.

We texted last night. I felt I was carrying the conversation. It was hard. He gave me very short answers. He did ask me questions when I would talk about stuff, but he would say “that’s cool” or “you should do it” which didn’t give me a lot to work with. We flirted a little. I asked him why he started talking to me on Facebook. He said he thought I was cute and figured he’d say hi. He then says that “One day” we will meet each other. I told him I wasn’t holding my breath, because I’d die very quickly He laughed and said he felt like me being away and then him going on vacation, that time just wasn’t enough.

What I don’t understand is why this guy talked to me for over a month but kept bailing on meeting me? If you didn’t like me you wouldn’t talk to me and flirt with me, so why for so long? Why not want to meet me?

I know I am not being catfished because he has sent me snap chat selfies of himself in real time. And we have so many mutual friends from college, some he even has pictures with, so he’s definitely real. His facebook looks very legitimate. He’s smart, cute, and totally my type, so I don’t understand the whole thing. Now he is back at school for 10 months. I mean his life to me doesn’t constitute having a girlfriend. He goes to school during the week, and every weekend he plays travelling on a sports team. Then all summer he stays there and travels with another sports team. One new city every day for the whole summer. So why talk to me when he knew he was leaving? I don’t understand? Why put in so much effort to talk to me?

Maybe he’s a **** who kept blowing me off? Maybe he’s a nice guy. I’m just so confused.

I also feel like this whole thing is a pattern for me. I was on and off with the same person for three years, because I had so much hope and couldn't let go. He would come into my life and disappear and I let him. I was stupid. The difference is that this guy talks to me a ton and flirts with me. Three years guy didn't do that. Sometimes I wouldn't hear form him for weeks. I feel like I keep attracting or falling for these men that get me hooked and string me along.

I'm a super nice girl with a big heart and I want love. I'm just so confused. I end up meeting these guys who seem perfect in every way. Exactly what I'm looking for, but they aren't in a good place in their lives. They are too busy, not ready for a committed relationship, and don't make me a priority. I'm almost 25. Why does this pattern keep happening with these men?

Did you read any of the responses in your last identical thread about this guy? You were given a lot of valuable input. If you did, I would suggest re-reading all those replies.

• Like 1
  • Author

I did. I guess the situation is so foreign to me. With other guys, they don't keep texting me and sending me pics and being all nice to me. They barely text, no effort, no plans, and aren't super talkative, so its easy to gauge they aren't interested. I've had guys tell me that if I want to see them then I have to make the plan. I have guys ghost me and they aren't asking how my day at work was. With this guy he keeps talking and initiating conversation. He calls me cute a lot and we flirt. He seems to like me. But I guess it doesn't matter. He didn't want to meet me.

I guess with him gone, now I just have to move on with my life and not think about it any more. He clearly wasn't interested in anything more than what he gave out.

Its just so hard when you think you found a guy who is smart, funny, cute, and confident, and timing is the issue. I don't find guys I click with often, so when I do, its sad to let go.