My parents are demanding that I leave my boyfriend

SnugglePuggle94

• Author
SnugglePuggle94
So, back to getting you some much needed independence.

You say that you have a master's in English. Please forgive my ignorance, but what kind of job does this qualify you for? If it's a bit hazy, can you do a couple of extra years and train as a teacher?

When you write that "nobody wants you", it's probably true that nobody wants you if you're currently unemployed. This is why it's SO IMPORTANT to get a job. Any job. Show that you're determined to work. Thing is, if a potential employee is given two similar job applicants and one is unemployed and the other is working minimum wage in a supermarket, the one who's working already will win every time.

You mentioned being a receptionist. I hope you're aiming higher with that degree of yours. No offense to receptionists - I've done that job too - but I didn't have a uni degree under my belt. Sure, use reception as a stepping stone, but don't waste all that work you did on your degree.

Have you considered doing a management trainee program at a bank or other major employer? They generally don't care what degree you've done - as long as you've got one. (at least, this is how it is where I live) They just want to know that you can apply yourself.

One last thing about working: Not only will it give you the means to step out from under your parents, but they will probably view you as more of an adult and able to make your own decisions if you're financially independent.

I hope to be a fiction author someday, and as for a paying job I really like to become a literary agent, but to get into that kind of work you basically need to intern with a real agent, and of course none want me because of said no experience.

I'm trying to use a receptionist job as a stepping stone since I'm good at Microsoft Office applications and filing work. Still a lot of places require you to have multiple years of experience so it's been hard finding a job.

Although some good has come out of this crappy day- I got a call from the Clerk of Court which I had applied for a Deputy Clerk position a few weeks ago. They want me back in for a second interview, so I will be doing that next week. It just sucks that they took so long to call back...if they had maybe Zach wouldn't have broken up with me in the first place. I'm trying to be happy about it but all I feel right now is pain and emptiness.

dreamingoftigers
I hope to be a fiction author someday, and as for a paying job I really like to become a literary agent, but to get into that kind of work you basically need to intern with a real agent, and of course none want me because of said no experience.

I'm trying to use a receptionist job as a stepping stone since I'm good at Microsoft Office applications and filing work. Still a lot of places require you to have multiple years of experience so it's been hard finding a job.

Although some good has come out of this crappy day- I got a call from the Clerk of Court which I had applied for a Deputy Clerk position a few weeks ago. They want me back in for a second interview, so I will be doing that next week. It just sucks that they took so long to call back...if they had maybe Zach wouldn't have broken up with me in the first place. I'm trying to be happy about it but all I feel right now is pain and emptiness.

How are you doing now?