My wife has emotionally checked out. How do I save my marriage?

A definition of an emotional affair quoted from Wikipedia. "An emotional affair can be defined as: "A relationship between a person and someone other than (their) spouse (or lover) that affects the level of intimacy, emotional distance and overall dynamic balance in the marriage."

I strongly dislike people who cheapen and dismiss the severity of an affair, even an emotional affair as just something that was inappropriate. If anything it is the emotional affairs that destroy marriages. You can't tell me her wanting a separation while texting another man, is not an affair. Give me a break.

And I strongly dislike people who minimize the impact of addiction on relationships. Her 8 months or so of an "emotional affair" is no better or worse than his four years of drug and alcohol abuse.

I just don't consider the OP a reliable, unbiased historian and I don't think we have the full picture. Some of that is from the limitations of the Internet and some of that is from the OP.

That definition does not take into account the number of men and women whose BFFs cause damage and are in a sense emotional affairs.

Marriage is about compromise and loving each other. His actions and his 180 don't show a desire for reconciliation. It strikes me more as controlling, manipulation and punishment. To the best of my knowledge, the only demand that his wife did not meet was to go to marriage counseling. If he truly wanted to save his marriage, within the two days of his 180 he would have brought up marriage counseling again, instead he takes delight in having her spin and then serving her unexpectedly.

She forgave him his four year affair with alcohol. They worked last that and it probably didn't happen overnight. Less than 3 months after finding out about her ea, he's throwing in the towel.

And I strongly dislike people who minimize the impact of addiction on relationships. Her 8 months or so of an "emotional affair" is no better or worse than his four years of drug and alcohol abuse.

Drug addiction and an affair are not the same. I know from experience from dealing with my daughter six-year addiction. She is clean and still to this day has her days {Not using, but where she displays some laspe of judgment}. But I wouldn't or would I be okay with anyone using her addiction as an excuse to dismissive their own personal blame.

It's fine and understandable if this original posters wife is resentful or angry over is past addiction. But if she at any point uses it as an excuse for her affair, then that would make her selfish. From reading Shard's posts it sounds like he was under the impression that she forgave him and didn't have any lingering resentment. It may be a lifetime battle for him, but it shouldn't be used or brought up to justify his desire to reconcile or not.

If the wife doesn't know if she wants to be married to him or not, then he has every right to separate. I don't see him as giving up as much as letting his wife know that he wants her to make a decision so he can move on with his life. Never mind the mixed messages this has to be doing on their kids.

Edited by Married1988
  • Like 4
Drug addiction and an affair are not the same. I know from experience from dealing with my daughter six-year addiction. She is clean and still to this day has her days {Not using, but where she displays some laspe of judgment}. But I wouldn't or would I be okay with anyone using her addiction as an excuse to dismissive their own personal blame.

It's fine and understandable if this original posters wife is resentful or angry over is past addiction. But if she at any point uses it as an excuse for her affair, then that would make her selfish. From reading Shard's posts it sounds like he was under the impression that she forgave him and didn't have any lingering resentment. It may be a lifetime battle for him, but it shouldn't be used or brought up to justify his desire to reconcile or not.

If the wife doesn't know if she wants to be married to him or not, then he has every right to separate. I don't see him as giving up as much as letting his wife know that he wants her to make a decision so he can move on with his life. Never mind the mixed messages this has to be doing on their kids.

I would say in this instance, a drug affair is worse than an emotional affair. You would not.

The OP came here looking to save his marriage. He chose to,do a 180 because HE wanted to wake up his wife. It worked. Yet,me continued his "checking out". He was thrilled he made her cry. He was chortling with glee at surprising her with being served.

He's not emotionally mature enough to judge when to back off on the 180. He's still in revenge mode. I blame the drug addiction for lack of maturity. He could just be a jerk. It is addict behavior to do a bait a switch. How do I save my marriage? I blow it up and then make no attempt to fix it, but blame it on her."

"I want us to,go to marriage counseling. You can make the appointment or I can. But this needs to happen now, this week or next week, but not later."

That's what he needed to say after Day 2 of his 180. But, no...he's loving the people chasing after him. His wife trying for sex and connection, his mother in law asking him if he is ending it.

A "normal" person, without the addiction knows when to draw the line. This new thing of people throwing themselves at his feet is his new drug.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I would say in this instance, a drug affair is worse than an emotional affair. You would not.

The OP came here looking to save his marriage. He chose to,do a 180 because HE wanted to wake up his wife. It worked. Yet,me continued his "checking out". He was thrilled he made her cry. He was chortling with glee at surprising her with being served.

He's not emotionally mature enough to judge when to back off on the 180. He's still in revenge mode. I blame the drug addiction for lack of maturity. He could just be a jerk. It is addict behavior to do a bait a switch. How do I save my marriage? I blow it up and then make no attempt to fix it, but blame it on her."

"I want us to,go to marriage counseling. You can make the appointment or I can. But this needs to happen now, this week or next week, but not later."

That's what he needed to say after Day 2 of his 180. But, no...he's loving the people chasing after him. His wife trying for sex and connection, his mother in law asking him if he is ending it.

A "normal" person, without the addiction knows when to draw the line. This new thing of people throwing themselves at his feet is his new drug.

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. I have to agree with addiction emotionally delaying maturity in recovering addicts.

But I guess I can relate to his back and forth. I'm not an addict but I'm going back and forth on what the hell I want. One minute I want a divorce and the next I want to work on the marriage, and right now I don't know what the hell I want.

But I do agree he is going about it all wrong. I hope he responds back soon with an update because I'm curious to see if things with his wife had improved.

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. I have to agree with addiction emotionally delaying maturity in recovering addicts.

But I guess I can relate to his back and forth. I'm not an addict but I'm going back and forth on what the hell I want. One minute I want a divorce and the next I want to work on the marriage, and right now I don't know what the hell I want.

But I do agree he is going about it all wrong. I hope he responds back soon with an update because I'm curious to see if things with his wife had improved.

There's been a lot studies done on maturity and comprehension among addicts and recovering addicts. I can tell you it was 35 years ago when a teacher addressed my health class and told of his struggles. He drew the scale on the board and we didn't have much of a response. Who cares if we stay mentally 15 forever....it's all we know....since we are 15. But when he pointed out that he was 58 and had only been sober for 5 years and had started drinking at age X....he told stories of being 50 years old and getting mad at his wife and behaving like a spoiled teenager....because that's what he was. I knew him and his family and he had pulled a lot of crap that was just not age appropriate. This example is not my only experience with addicts, it is one of many. I've been in relationships with them and I've got some experience in psychology and treatment of addicts.

I knew a psychologist who referred to ACOA (adult children of alcoholics) as the self-opening piñata of the mental health treatment community. He said words to the effect, "If you can have a dozen or so ACOA clients, if you can handle the work and the emotions involved, you will be able to buy a nice house, send your kids to private school, buy expensive toys, because they are so damaged, it takes years to help them recognize "normal"."

I'm hoping the OPs wife is going to let him go. From what I've read on here, there's too much baggage. She was ready to separate, she wasn't happy, but tried again because he begged her. Maybe she was ready to move on, maybe she wanted to move on with the EA. When she is still disconnected from him, but not talking about separation, he does a 180, since he has been perfect and tried EVERYTHING. I have my doubts as to his ability to be a reliable historian. At the end of all of this, I don't think the OP knows how to treat her (or anyone) the right way. She forgave him for the years he was an addict, yet he can't forgive her for having an emotional affair of less than a year. He keeps moving the bar of what she has to do to keep him. His reactions are not beneficial. He's not responding age appropriately or situationally appropriate.

Good luck to you, M1988

• Author

There has been a lot of talk about me not forgiving my wife for an emotional affair. That is really not the case. I came here because my wife wanted out of the marriage. She admitted to me on several occasions she didn't know what she wanted. Sure I had a drinking problem for many years and that put a strain on our relationship. We had both had our fair share of addiction issues and mine took a while longer to control. But I did it and I don't think my issues should match her issues. But I'll let that be up to debate because I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise.

As for my current marriage. The wife and I are still living at the house, we are still in the same bed, and overall everything is friendly. We are keeping up appearances for the kids. I have to admit that we both kind of just stopped trying. She went to counseling one time since the last update and didn't go anymore. We had another heart to heart the other day and she said she had been trying to get that level of "love" back for me. She said after I stopped chasing her these past few months, she took that as a sign that she had to make a decision. She admitted being sitting on the fence. We both agreed to just stop trying and we could evaluate in the new year.

For me personally, I see a divorce in the future. I have come to realize and accept that my relationship may have just ran it's course. My addiction may have been a deal breaker for her and her emotional affair might have just been the nail in the coffin.

Shard,

In reading this, I am struck that both of you have given up. A marriage is not over until one or the other, or both decide it is. Yes, she had a EA, but lord, it was not a PA, with all that baggage. You both made a Vow to be with each other through, sickness and health, better or worse. Well this is the worse. Can you not power through it? When I feel less then love for my wife, or anger over past transgressions, I get out a picture of her when she was 17, and graduating from High School. We were not dating, we were not a couple, but it is the woman I fell so deeply in love with. I remember, that first deep, hopeless in love feeling, and remind myself that woman is still here, with me, married to me.

My only suggestion, is that you reach back, and remember your first love for her, and start doing small thing to show that love is buried, but still there. As this waiting for her is not working. What can you do to change this for the better? Take charge, lead, what do you have to loose?

I wish you luck...

There has been a lot of talk about me not forgiving my wife for an emotional affair. That is really not the case. I came here because my wife wanted out of the marriage. She admitted to me on several occasions she didn't know what she wanted. Sure I had a drinking problem for many years and that put a strain on our relationship. We had both had our fair share of addiction issues and mine took a while longer to control. But I did it and I don't think my issues should match her issues. But I'll let that be up to debate because I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise.

As for my current marriage. The wife and I are still living at the house, we are still in the same bed, and overall everything is friendly. We are keeping up appearances for the kids. I have to admit that we both kind of just stopped trying. She went to counseling one time since the last update and didn't go anymore. We had another heart to heart the other day and she said she had been trying to get that level of "love" back for me. She said after I stopped chasing her these past few months, she took that as a sign that she had to make a decision. She admitted being sitting on the fence. We both agreed to just stop trying and we could evaluate in the new year.

For me personally, I see a divorce in the future. I have come to realize and accept that my relationship may have just ran it's course. My addiction may have been a deal breaker for her and her emotional affair might have just been the nail in the coffin.

• Author
Shard,

You both made a Vow to be with each other through, sickness and health, better or worse. Well this is the worse. Can you not power through it?

My marriage was a sham from the beginning. I don't really think an emotional affair or a physical affair really makes a difference. She still married me while talking to this other guy. Maybe ending this marriage with the possibility of getting back together in the future is the better option. I love my wife and I remember the woman I met all those years ago, as a teenager. But we are both not those same people and she just doesn't love me the same way I do her.

Also to add. I look at our daughter's every night and think about what they deserve. What would I tell them if they were in a similar situation? If they were in a relationship with an addict like my former self I'd tell them to leave. If they were cheated on, and their spouse wasn't sure if they wanted to be with them, I'd tell them to leave. In perspective, we had a lot of up and downs, and we been through a lot. But I wonder if my wife was ever able to truly get past my drinking. Or maybe she just wants to see what else is out there. I don't know.

Edited by Shard

Let me say this...

I have been the stay together guy my whole life. I have put myself through some of the most insane BS that you can imagine and some that you can't.

And now I realize that in a relationship where you love someone so much more that they love you in the long run it just will not work. Ever.

I went to lunch the other day with one of my old GF's, just lunch by the way. And she still loves me, I could feel it in her looks and when she touched me.

During lunch, she made me feel something that I have not felt from my wife in years if ever.

Shard, as much as you love your wife, at this point I am going to say end it. If you have doubts that she loves you or not, then she does not.

• Author
Let me say this...

I have been the stay together guy my whole life. I have put myself through some of the most insane BS that you can imagine and some that you can't.

And now I realize that in a relationship where you love someone so much more that they love you, in the long run, it just will not work. Ever.

I went to lunch the other day with one of my old GF's, just lunch by the way. And she still loves me, I could feel it in her looks and when she touched me.

During lunch, she made me feel something that I have not felt from my wife in years if ever.

Shard, as much as you love your wife, at this point I am going to say end it. If you have doubts that she loves you or not, then she does not.

That is where it was heading anyway. I already paid for a condo in this school district for February 1st.

That is where it was heading anyway. I already paid for a condo in this school district for February 1st.

At the end of the day, you're both just toxic for each other. I hope you will get some counseling and continue to work the 12 steps so you're not toxic for someone else or your daughters.

• Author
At the end of the day, you're both just toxic for each other. I hope you will get some counseling and continue to work the 12 steps so you're not toxic for someone else or your daughters.

You make it seem like it is all my fault that my wife emotionally got involved with another man. She married me knowing she wasn't happy or that this other dude wanted her. I have all intentions to continuing working on myself but at the end of the day, I can safely say that my daughter's have a loving father, who has and will continue to show them that mistakes happen and you can learn from them.

• Like 2
You make it seem like it is all my fault that my wife emotionally got involved with another man. She married me knowing she wasn't happy or that this other dude wanted her. I have all intentions to continuing working on myself but at the end of the day, I can safely say that my daughter's have a loving father, who has and will continue to show them that mistakes happen and you can learn from them.

You contradict yourself a lot. Others are more sympathetic to that since this is an infidelity forum. Because of your addiction, I'm not as willing to ignore your past behaviors. I believe they continue to shape who you are.

Your wife needed to step up and decline marriage. Both because it wasn't for the right reason ($600 a year benefit) and because she was starting to check out if the relationship. She didn't, that is on her.

She hung in there during your years of addiction affair and your recovery.

She probably shouldn't have. I have a friend who after 22 months of hell from her baby daddy finally cut him loose. She kept making excuses because she felt, "baby deserves to have his/her father in their life." Meanwhile, this guy treated her and baby like crap. I'm guessing that is why your wife stayed with you, because your daughters deserve an intact home. That was the favored decision for the kids, but not right for her.

I do have a good male friend who is a lot like you. He was an addict, he pulled a lot of crap, he was mean. When his child was three, his exw had an affair with another woman and twenty plus years later she is still with the same woman. He touted himself as a good father. He put in the time. Never missed a parent teacher conference or event. Never missed a weekend, took his daughter every chance he got. Fought for her any time the ex tried to limit time or screw him over. He may have nickel and dimed the Ex a lot, but he stilled paid for college and never hesitated to buy necessities (just refused to give money and made sure purchased items couldn't be returned).

But, twenty plus years later his daughter lives five minutes away from him and rarely sees him. I know people who know her and she is happy, healthy, kind and responsible. While she loves her father, she can't stand the negativity. Her mothers provided her with less negativity but did manage to alienate the father by pointing out some things that were factual. So even though her mom cheated on her dad, even though her mom pulled some crooked things, he is losing at the end of his life. It has all been through his actions and his words. He may have been "right" to refuse to pay an extra $400 for camp when it only cost $200, but the child only knows she didn't get to go to camp because daddy didn't pay. (Sidenote - he knows he dropped the ball on things like this, it took him too long to figure out he needed to pay the camp directly and take the daughter shopping for gear himself. But he learned that too late and was too honest with the daughter. "Mommy is trying to screw daddy by making him pay for something else....")

So, your actions for the next X number of years matter. If your wife meets a good man who is a good step parent, you will need to take a road higher than you can imagine. I don't know that you have the skills for that right now, but if you do keep working on yourself, there's potential. Your daughters will forgive their mother for having an EA, just as they will forgive you (and her) for being addicts. It will be ancient history to them.

• Like 1
  • Author
You contradict yourself a lot. Others are more sympathetic to that since this is an infidelity forum. Because of your addiction, I'm not as willing to ignore your past behaviors. I believe they continue to shape who you are.

My addiction to alchohol is not a reason for her to bring another man into our relatinship. When my wife and I met in highschool, we both drank and did party drugs for a number of years. So its not like she was never a heavy drinker. Doesn't excuse myself for not stopping or getting help when older daugher was born though. I'll take responsibility for my actions but won't take blame for hers. There is no contradiction there.

She hung in there during your years of addiction affair and your recovery.

She probably shouldn't have. I have a friend who after 22 months of hell from her baby daddy finally cut him loose. She kept making excuses because she felt, "baby deserves to have his/her father in their life." Meanwhile, this guy treated her and baby like crap.

You're right, she should have broken up with me. I wasn't in no place where I should have been in any relationship. But she did and I had stopped drinking and gotten help for myself. I admit and do take responsibility for not being the best boyfriend and father I could have been. I saw my kids every day, made sure they had food on the table, and a roof over their head. But I did drink every day, partied a lot and if I could go back and change those things I would. But I can safely say that I'm a better father now. That is all I can do.

While she loves her father, she can't stand the negativity. Her mothers provided her with less negativity but did manage to alienate the father by pointing out some things that were factual. So even though her mom cheated on her dad, even though her mom pulled some crooked things, he is losing at the end of his life. It has all been through his actions and his words. He may have been "right" to refuse to pay an extra $400 for camp when it only cost $200, but the child only knows she didn't get to go to camp because daddy didn't pay.

So, your actions for the next X number of years matter. If your wife meets a good man who is a good step parent, you will need to take a road higher than you can imagine. I don't know that you have the skills for that right now, but if you do keep working on yourself, there's potential. Your daughters will forgive their mother for having an EA, just as they will forgive you (and her) for being addicts. It will be ancient history to them.

I have no doubt that the wife and I can co-parent efficiently. And I'm not that father who will refuse to fork over funds so my kids can enjoy activities. And I hope that at the end of the day if my wife and I break up for good, she can find someone better suited for her. I hope she meets someone who is good to her and most importantly good to my kids. If any potential future step-parent of my children is nice to them, doesn't try take over as their father and is a good role model then I'm totally on board. I expect the same curiosity from the wife. One day I hope to find a decent woman who is nice to my kids and will respect my wife's role as their mother.

I'm just glad I stopped drinking while the kids were young so their fondest memories of me wasn't drinking. And also I'm not a real negative person. I'm just really but hurt that my wife wanted another man and that brings out some of my worst traits.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can i ask, have you or your wife ever been diagnosed with depression or something else? Sorry if I missed this in the thread. I thought Might explain past drinking and partying. Have you considered talking to a therapist by yourself? Given the complicated situation and history it might be worth it. And also just because you have been to therapy before with your wife doesn't mean it still can't help now. The situation has changed since you last went. I doubt you covered the topic of your wife having feelings for someone else in your sessions together. Even if the aim of therapy is not to stay together it could help. And to help ensure both your wife and you end up with the best relationship with your kids.

It is admirable you cleaned yourself up for your children. Addiction im sure is not easy to break.

• Author

A lot has happened since I last posted. This may be kind of long so bear with me.

About a week before Christmas, my wife and I went for coffee to discuss on how we were going to handle telling our oldest daughter about the separation because of her anxiety disorder. Anyway, we ended up not discussing it.

A few minutes after we were sitting down our song began playing. One of our songs from when we first started dating. It brought back many memories back when we used to sit in my parent's basement and we would listen to this particular song over and over again.

After the song stopped playing, my wife was in tears. She then started talking about some of our memories together. So the next couple hours was full of laughter and reminiscing.

We left in a good place. This has been the happiest either of us had been in for a long time. When we got home, we put the kids to bed and sat up until nearly sunrise talking. Not about separating or about our relationship but about politics, about things happening in the world. We used to spend many hours in the past talking and debating about things. It was really refreshing getting back to that place.

Anyway, the remaining days leading up to Christmas, it felt like something switched. Old parts of my wife returned. She smiled a lot more, and that distance between us seemed to vanish. We didn't talk about the separation or anything. For the first time since summer, things felt normal. We had a great Christmas. That night I had to go sit in my truck and I cried. Because I felt really overwhelmed.

The following day (boxing day) was much of the same. But I knew I couldn't avoid bringing up the separation again as we needed to leave our notice and still needed to talk to our daughter about the changes. But I really didn't want too. But I initiated the conversation telling her we needed to talk about what we were going to tell our daughters.

At first, she avoided the question and then went and locked herself in the bedroom for over an hour. When she came out she came and sat on the couch beside me and asked if we really wanted to separate. I told her that I wanted us to be happy and if she wasn' happy with me than this was the best thing for us. She didn't say much else.

The last three days had been weird. She has been off, not so much avoiding me but not herself. We went to bed, and she had woken me up a few hours ago. She told me she didn't want a divorce. That she wanted to give us one more chance. She told me to think about it and we'd talk about it tomorrow.

So here I am up, with a million emotions going through my mind. I do believe reality has opened both our eyes. I want to believe she really wants to be with me. I want to be with her and save our marriage. The coffee shop, the long conversations, the glimpses of the wife I remember resurfacing. I really want to give us another chance.

Bread crumbs. That's what she's throwing you. You pressed her for a real conversation and she locked herself in her room. Real mature. She's doing what's best for her, not the kid.

If she was interested in the well being of the kid, she'll sit you down and lay out a plan. But nope, she'll rather listen to a song and reminisce about the old times. Um, if she's so inclined to discuss the past, you can talk about the affair.

"What's best for the kid" is the only conversation you should be having.

Hi Shard, it does seem a lot has happened between your last post and the previous one. Maybe it is the spirit of Christmas or maybe destiny is playing it's part. Maybe, as you say, reality has woken you both up from a deep and dreamless sleep but what you have to say is definitely heartening. I know that the realistic thing is to be cynical like Buddy but then where is the mystery and charm that a rekindled love brings with it?

I think your wife has suddenly realized that she is standing at the edge of the cliff of your marriage. If she jumps or falls over, there will be no retracing her steps. The realization that she shares history with you which will always be an inseparable part of her is more important to her than the thrill of a fling with someone new, someone she does'nt share that history with. I may be wrong in my assessment and tomorrow she may still choose her AP over you. Only time will tell but the chain of events as narrated by you in your last post seem to indicate otherwise. My suggestion would be that you play it by ear. Don't be hasty in anything you do but keep your eyes and ears open to your wife's behaviour and her actions. If you find things amiss proceed with your plans for separation. If, on the other hand, she seems to have genuinely turned over a new leaf and shows this by her behaviour and actions then you know what to do. Whatever it is that lies in your future I wish you the very best in it. Maybe you have been given the biggest Christmas gift you could ever have hoped for. Cheers!

• Like 1
The last three days had been weird. She has been off, not so much avoiding me but not herself. We went to bed, and she had woken me up a few hours ago. She told me she didn't want a divorce. That she wanted to give us one more chance. She told me to think about it and we'd talk about it tomorrow.

Given her history, how do you know she's not still in touch with her AP? Is she being transparent and accountable in her actions? And more importantly, are you demanding it?

The issues with your addiction demand you address it. So do the implications of her infidelity. To ignore either doesn't give you much chance for a successful marriage...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author
You pressed her for a real conversation and she locked herself in her room. Real mature. She's doing what's best for her, not the kid.

That had crossed my mind, but at the same time she has always done that when she is feeling upset and overwhelmed. So it's hard to say what he true intentions were.

I may be wrong in my assessment and tomorrow she may still choose her AP over you. Only time will tell but the chain of events as narrated by you in your last post seem to indicate otherwise. My suggestion would be that you play it by ear. Don't be hasty in anything you do but keep your eyes and ears open to your wife's behaviour and her actions. If you find things amiss proceed with your plans for separation. If, on the other hand, she seems to have genuinely turned over a new leaf and shows this by her behaviour and actions then you know what to do. Whatever it is that lies in your future I wish you the very best in it. Maybe you have been given the biggest Christmas gift you could ever have hoped for. Cheers!

This has crossed my mind as well. Only she has cut contact with the other man back when I confronted her. I mean there is always a slim chance she has another affair partner lurking, but I highly doubt it. I have access to her phone as I pay the bill, her computer she agreed to move into the living room, so that leaves little room for her to be sneaky. Entirely possible she has a burner phone that someone is paying for. But I just dont' see it as all her free time is tied up.

Given her history, how do you know she's not still in touch with her AP? Is she being transparent and accountable in her actions? And more importantly, are you demanding it?

The issues with your addiction demand you address it. So do the implications of her infidelity. To ignore either doesn't give you much chance for a successful marriage...

Mr. Lucky

I briefed on this above but all indications I have is saying she hasn't. Her time beside work is accounted for. She has been transparent. I have access to all emails, social media, and her phone that I know of. She is not acting secretive. She has been where she says she will be. She is not blaming me for any of it. She just seems disconnected and on the fence. On two separate occasions, she has wanted to separate. Now that we are actually separating, she doesn't want it. So I can't help but feel something. I only initiate a separation because I didn't want to keep living like this.

So that comes up with my update. I'm still moving out February 1st and I told my wife this morning, but I also told her I'd hold on on divorce for a while. I told her she on multiple occasions wanted to separate and that she told me she wasn't sure she was in love with me. So I was just giving her what she wanted. I told her we can still work on our marriage but I wasn't going to play back and forth with her. She didn't seem like she liked the answer but agreed to it. The rest of the morning went as normal. She hugged me goodbye as she left to go to work. I dropped the kids off at daycare and I'm on my way to drop off my notice with the current landlord and then heading to work.

I just see it, if she genuinely wants to be with me, then this will ultimately be the test. Because I just can't live like this anymore.

Edited by Shard

Rugsweeping this without addressing the issues will just be a repeat. The feel good now won't last long. If the Affair is ongoing you have zero chance.

R just doesn't happen

• Like 1
  • Author
Rugsweeping this without addressing the issues will just be a repeat. The feel good now won't last long. If the Affair is ongoing you have zero chance.

R just doesn't happen

I agree, that is why I'm not just taking her word for it. I'm seperating as usual but not going straight for divorce.

You keep defending her behavior. I.e. "That's how she deals with it"

No more. This is adult business (We're talking about Divorce here). If she pulls that crap again don't respond, don't go after her.

And for god sakes don't tip your hand. I bet my money she'll be on her best behavior till Feb 1st.

• Author
You keep defending her behavior. I.e. "That's how she deals with it"

No more. This is adult business (We're talking about Divorce here). If she pulls that crap again doesn't respond, don't go after her.

And for god sakes don't tip your hand. I bet my money she'll be on her best behavior till Feb 1st.

I bet my money she will too and I hope she does because she knows February 1st that I'm moving into my condo. I only said I would hold off divorcing her but nothing about separating. I have the legal separation papers, which she agreed too. I get my kids 50% of the time. I have a place set up to move too. She is dragging her feet so will likely move back in with her parents. I want to be with her but I'm not playing games with her. If she is willing to work on our marriage than in the future we can always be reunited as a family.

Edited by Shard

My ExWife didn't really mind the LSeperation. In fact, that took less then a month. Once I told her I'm proceeding with the divorce, all hell broke loose. Took that broad 18 months to finally commit to the Divorce. And oh yeah, in the meantime she had a guy she was seeing.

It's called cake eating.