Difficulty due to very Specific Preferences

searching1992

• Author
searching1992
Oh really? Like what?

I've identified two evangelical groups to attend. One is about 20 minutes from where I live and the other is 30-40 minutes away. I'm trying to work up the nerve to actually attend.

Besides that, I've delved back into online dating. I've really only gotten into the beginning stages of conversing with someone online. Just some friendly back and forth, at the moment. The girl I'm talking to right now states in her profile that she is a virgin waiting until marriage. She looks attractive in her pictures, but I have trouble telling how attracted I am from pictures. In addition to that, they're not the highest quality pictures and she isn't posed in such a way where I can get a great sense of her body type. Still, I figure OLD is worth a try.

I've identified two evangelical groups to attend. One is about 20 minutes from where I live and the other is 30-40 minutes away. I'm trying to work up the nerve to actually attend.

Besides that, I've delved back into online dating. I've really only gotten into the beginning stages of conversing with someone online. Just some friendly back and forth, at the moment. The girl I'm talking to right now states in her profile that she is a virgin waiting until marriage. She looks attractive in her pictures, but I have trouble telling how attracted I am from pictures. In addition to that, they're not the highest quality pictures and she isn't posed in such a way where I can get a great sense of her body type. Still, I figure OLD is worth a try.

Problem with OLD people waste so much time messaging instead of dating.

Time to date is now. Git'er done.

• Like 2
losangelena

Well, what's the harm in simply meeting her? You already have so many barriers set out for yourself, why make it worse? You can't really afford to hem and haw. You started this thread in January, it's now March. I agree with road, it's time to start pounding the pavement.

Glad you're doing OLD—it has its challenges, but it's ideal for the kind of filtering you want to do.

normal person

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd consider telling her about how you're looking for a girl who's never done more than "light kissing" before you decide to meet. It will keep you both from wasting each others' time if it's that big of an issue beforehand. And if she's on board with it, even better for you.

• Author
searching1992
Well, what's the harm in simply meeting her? You already have so many barriers set out for yourself, why make it worse? You can't really afford to hem and haw. You started this thread in January, it's now March. I agree with road, it's time to start pounding the pavement.

Glad you're doing OLD—it has its challenges, but it's ideal for the kind of filtering you want to do.

Unfortunately, she doesn't live remotely near me. Otherwise, I would agree that it's best to meet as soon as possible.

normal person

You know, we were talking about this way back in the thread and it seemed plausible, but when you actually talk about doing it, it seems deceptive. You said you're not evangelical yourself, but you're going to show up there and do what?

1). Either pretend to be interested in their religion to meet girls, or

2). Just say you're there looking to meet gorgeous virgins?

The first one is just unethical, the second one is immoral and unlikely. Even when these girls (assuming there are any) do marry, they probably want/will be pressured to marry within the group, not outside of it.

Unfortunately, she doesn't live remotely near me. Otherwise, I would agree that it's best to meet as soon as possible.

So there's one girl you know of who might possibly meet your standards (you still don't even know), and she lives so far away that you can't even really consider her. Like I've been saying, this whole thing just isn't very plausible.

Imagine traveling all that way to meet her to find out that she's done more than "light kissing." What a waste of both your time that'd be. Before you meet her, FaceTime her beforehand and talk about it. If she gets offended and/or thinks it's totally weird (a very distinct possibility), at least you saved yourselves the time and the trouble of traveling all that way to then find out.

• Author
searching1992
You know, we were talking about this way back in the thread and it seemed plausible, but when you actually talk about doing it, it seems deceptive. You said you're not evangelical yourself, but you're going to show up there and do what?

1). Either pretend to be interested in their religion to meet girls, or

2). Just say you're there looking to meet gorgeous virgins?

The first one is just unethical, the second one is immoral and unlikely. Even when these girls (assuming there are any) do marry, they probably want/will be pressured to marry within the group, not outside of it.

So there's one girl you know of who might possibly meet your standards (you still don't even know), and she lives so far away that you can't even really consider her. Like I've been saying, this whole thing just isn't very plausible.

Imagine traveling all that way to meet her to find out that she's done more than "light kissing." What a waste of both your time that'd be. Before you meet her, FaceTime her beforehand and talk about it. If she gets offended and/or thinks it's totally weird (a very distinct possibility), at least you saved yourselves the time and the trouble of traveling all that way to then find out.

I see where you're coming from with it possibly being deceptive. I share their basic beliefs, so it's not as though I'm an atheist waltzing in pretending to be share their faith. It's more of a temperament issue than anything. It's really something I would have to explore before I pigeonhole all evangelicals, though. Plus, it's not as though I would lie if asked what my denomination is. The group is non-denominational, so I imagine there are people of varying denominations there. Even if they don't state it, these types of groups just tend to be evangelical.