Should women be concerned if a man drives a volvo station wagon?

There is a guy currently asking why his girlfriend is so against his volvo. Now can you see how damaging this can be! A volvo isn't just for Christmas! :D :D

Hey op, if it makes you feel any better I used to drive an old 95 S600 w140 my ex used to hate with passion. Not sure why... besides that it was too boxy for her.

I still have the car as it was my dream car since I was a kid so it has sentimental value to me but I don't drive it as often.

Unlike the volvo this is a car that cast $95k when new, has a v12 motor, the bulletproof glass, reclining rear seats and a fridge in the back..It sucked to have to change cars before picking her up but it was something I had to do a few times.

As time will show, she was not worth the change. Keep your car, keep your toys and move on from her. That's not someone who's looking for stability but status instead.

Btw: speaking of wagons, the cts station wagon was one of the best looking station wagons made. I'd drove one no problem.

Edited by NoLeafClover
All the really good sports cars are 'automatic' now, but not old school shush-o-matic.

They have the 'faux' shifter thing going on so you can pretend to shift. Sucks. What are things coming to?! lol

I get it. Yes, I know that an automatic gives you slightly better speed and transition... that's because a computer is doing it. Noone can replace a stick shift, IMHO. Call me old school :)

I like carburators better than fuel injection... roll down windows vs automatic...

• Like 2
This is the exact reason we have a Subaru wagon. It's for the once a year when we go skiing. It takes lots of luggage and sticks to ice.

Station wagons may seem lame to some - but if you've got an active lifestyle which needs lots of gear, they are terrific.

I LUUUUV my Subaru, but a d*ck getter it ain't.

I think my Porsche had the opposite effect. I bought it after my fiancée died (owning a convertible was on my bucket list)... I usually got looks like "oh, yea, gold digger"... which of course, I was not. Paid for that thing entirely with my own $$. But I did have fun with it. I'd drive around with the top down playing the Kanye West song "Gold digger".

Good times. That, and "Ride of the Valkyries", cause hey, it was German and I named her Frejya. Sold it after a year just before she was due for an oil change... which will cost an arm and a leg. I got back exactly what I paid. Pretty awesome.

My Subaru Outback Wagon is named Diana (I name all of my cars from mythology... always female). This is my dog car, so of course, I had to pick a goddess that is associated with animals.

The Mazda B2200 pickup that got me through grad school was named Athena... you get the idea... :) She got totaled in a grocery store parking lot by a 93 year old man who mistook the accelerator for the brake pedal. Dang. Loved that truck!

• Like 2

I wonder how this thread would turn out if we replaced the "he drives a Volvo station wagon," with "he lives in a single wide mobile home inside a trailer park."

Even those who consider themselves non judgmental have their limits. :laugh:

A car doesn't necessarily speak to ones finances. For all we know the guy with the muscle car or nice truck is buried in debt or the guy in the old beat up Volvo has terrible credit and can't get financed for anything nicer. Who knows?

Morals and ethics aside it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that certain people do find certain men in certain vehicles to have a higher sex appeal than others:

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzP2yzrKl28

They have the 'faux' shifter thing going on so you can pretend to shift. Sucks. What are things coming to?! lol

It would be cool if they had a faux clutch that allowed the experience to be even more realistic. :lmao:

I get it. Yes, I know that an automatic gives you slightly better speed and transition... that's because a computer is doing it. Noone can replace a stick shift, IMHO. Call me old school :)

This is theory. After many years of driving both, I don't think it's true. Any time Ive pushed an automatic transmission as hard as i push a manual, rolling through the gears, it chokes, mis shifts or the transmission endsnup on the ground in the rearview mirror. :lmao:

They just don't seem to work reliably for me if driving hard, like a manual transmission does.

I like carburators better than fuel injection... roll down windows vs automatic...

I'm not a fan of carbs at all. Vapor lock, ethanol fuel going bad in the open fuel system. Strongly prefer fuel injection for reliability purposes. Respect your preference though. :)

Continuing the Click and Clack talk, has anyone ever driven 3 on the tree? How about a truck you have to double clutch on. These were some interesting ones I've driven. Definitely no ladies checking out your ride with 3 on the tree.

Edited by loveweary11
Yikes! You know they hardly sell manual anymore......my dad put me in a tree shift at age 15 and I took my test at 16 on a shift. He said simply, you learn to drive this, you can drive anything. Good advice that has served me well but I don't own a shift for my kids....:(.

That's what I learned on!! 3 on the tree it was called. Got me out of a lot of snowed in situations. I had a manual until I had kids...couldn't pass sippy cups and toys in the back and shift at the same time:( Can't wait to get rid of the big SUV and get myself an old sports car with a manual transmission. 6 years and counting.

For the record...I wouldn't care what a guy drives...but it helps if it has a hitch...it's one of the things on my "guy wish list" as well as anything 4 wheel drive ... a Volvo is one of the safest cars or used to be so I'd think the guy was practical and I like practical.

• Like 3
When I had a Corvette (back in 1983), I actually had a man flip a U-turn and follow me to the supermarket, so he could chat me up after I parked.

He lost interest when I got out of my car, 8.5 months pregnant. Go figure.

My 1975 step-side show truck and my 1994 Trans Am had the same effect on men; the latter was dubbed "The D*ck-Getter" by my girlfriends.

Vehicle-allure is not just a weakness found in women, boys. :cool:

lol! Back before my husband and I were married, we switched vehicles for a couple months due to our work locations and gas mileage. I was driving his Chevy K1500 truck, turquoise, extended cab, with lights on the roof and a spoiler. Totally HATED that truck, but I'll be damned if any time I stopped for gas or was loading up groceries, guys would drive by and honk, or use it as a conversation starter. Every time.

And I would be all *giggle* "yeaaah it's my boyfriends..." and they'd leave.

• Like 1
over here in America only about 5% of new cars are sold with a manual transmission. I suppose we really are lazy :laugh:

Most cars I see now come with autostick, or switch back & forth (but no clutch). I have no idea how to use it, but any time my dog rides with me she seems to always knock it into 2nd gear.

I'm not a fan of carbs at all. Vapor lock, ethanol fuel going bad in the open fuel system. Strongly prefer fuel injection for reliability purposes. Respect your preference though. :)

Continuing the Click and Clack talk, has anyone ever driven 3 on the tree? How about a truck you have to double clutch on. These were some interesting ones I've driven. Definitely no ladies checking out your ride with 3 on the tree.

How about a 1972 International Harvester Travel All... I used to own one of those too. What a beast!! http://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/11/1971IH_01_700.jpg

I almost set it on fire trying to rebuild the carburetor. I dunno. I like things you can tinker with. I learned a hard lesson changing the spark plug wires the first time. Note to self... change the wires ONE AT A TIME.

A V8, 392 hemi... now THAT was a d*ck getter, lol...

• Like 3

God! This has degenerated into a macho discussion on cars and the complexities of their mechanical systems along with comparisons which can only appeal to car enthusiasts. No wonder the OP disappeated a long time ago. Her basic question was probably answered by the first few respondents albeit in their own idiom. The simple answer to her query would be that if she found the Guy's car offensive or infra dig, she should just pass him by and move on to some one whose car she approves of. Of course that is assuming that the target guy approves of her which may not necessarily be the case. Even the guy with the 'ugly duckling' car may not approve of her. Guess it goes both ways!

Love my Audi TT classic. Where do i fit?

In the hair dressers salon... :D

I am going back to find out what is wrong with Volvos... One of the guys I had a date with and really like had just got one. I do so hope he is a sexual deviant! :love:

Now where was I...

• Like 1
Depends.

Do you have it stocked with rope, duck tape, and chlorophyll?

Or, will I have to bring my own? ;)

Well your only allowed to eat Burger King in it and not McDonnalds... Hayden is a burger snob... Just warning ya!

Oh and for goodness sake do not under any curcumstances leave the wrappers behind and make sure if you do go to McDonnalds (he will let you eat it as long as he is parked around the corner) that you save the Happy Meal toy for him... He steals them from his children...

• Like 1
God! This has degenerated into a macho discussion on cars and the complexities of their mechanical systems along with comparisons which can only appeal to car enthusiasts. No wonder the OP disappeated a long time ago. Her basic question was probably answered by the first few respondents albeit in their own idiom. The simple answer to her query would be that if she found the Guy's car offensive or infra dig, she should just pass him by and move on to some one whose car she approves of. Of course that is assuming that the target guy approves of her which may not necessarily be the case. Even the guy with the 'ugly duckling' car may not approve of her. Guess it goes both ways!

Meh, just making a point that not all chicks (I'm a woman, BTW) think there is anything wrong with a Volvo or a guy who drives one.

In fact, there are women who are into old cars and the men who drive them :D Or even men who don't have cars at all...

If she is still lurking, I'd tell her the same thing I tell people who are trying to sort out someone's sexual history. Pay attention to the CORE VALUES you are searching for...

I'm fine with guys who drive old cars or don't have one... if it equates to the fact that they are fiscally responsible. If they drive a fancy sportscar, but is behind on the rent, then, um, no....