Should women be concerned if a man drives a volvo station wagon?

This thread is about guys and what type of car they drive, and who's judging? I know most women on here judge men by what kind of car they drive. Of course all the males will get defensive about it.

I judge a man by a lot more important things than the car he drives.

But I would have serious concerns if it was in bits in his garage, with no wheels, and bits and pieces strewn all over his lawn.

And he had oily hands.

All the time.

And his butt-crack showed while he was bent under the bonnet (hood).

And his idea of a day out, was visiting a car scrapyard.

And talking dirty entailed cleaning out the carburetor, draining the oil sump and blowing the exhaust.

Just for starters....

Love my Audi TT classic. Where do i fit?

Depends.

Do you have it stocked with rope, duck tape, and chlorophyll?

Or, will I have to bring my own? ;)

• Like 2

Ok I didn't make it half way through the first page, but I know a few guys that drive Volvo station wagons:

One owns a skate shop in San Francisco, hip, professional guy.

One is a semi pro snowboarder, again, fairly successful, good looking, fit, fun guy.

The other is a tech professional and surfer. So if you don't like an athletic guy, that pulls in a very high income, and has a love for the outdoors, better pass on him and his Volvo.

Edited to add... I don't judge guys by their cars. But if he drives a manual tramission he gets bonus points. I LOVE to drive (like really drive - hit the back woods twisties, or on special days the track) - so a guy who also loves to mash through the gears gets a leg up on the competition.

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 2
Rejected Rosebud
Ok I didn't make it half way through the first page, but I know a few guys that drive Volvo station wagons:

One owns a skate shop in San Francisco, hip, professional guy.

One is a semi pro snowboarder, again, fairly successful, good looking, fit, fun guy.

The other is a tech professional and surfer. So if you don't like an athletic guy, that pulls in a very high income, and has a love for the outdoors, better pass on him and his Volvo.

That's what I'm sayin'!! Srsly maybe it's a west coast thing, but an old Volvo station wagon can carry a definite coolness factor!

Versacehottie
That's what I'm sayin'!! Srsly maybe it's a west coast thing, but an old Volvo station wagon can carry a definite coolness factor!

Yes. Those in context are all appealing :)OP, has disappeared or failed to add any more details sooooooooo who knows what prompted her to ask this question. I always get the troll-vo vibe from her but maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1
Plus i live in Manhattan and it's a fee to park

A fee.... :lmao::lmao:

When I owned a car in Manhattan, "a fee" was more than the car payment on a brand new, $35,000 car. :lmao:

I take that back... Yea, I'd ditch a guy who drives an automatic transmission sports car, lol. Poseur!

When I was shopping for my Porsche Boxster years ago, the dealer asked if I wanted a manual or automatic.

I laughed and said "You mean people who don't know how to drive actually buy these?!!" Somewhat sarcastically.

Bonus points for manual transmission... definitely. I've never owned an automatic anything.

• Like 1
I take that back... Yea, I'd ditch a guy who drives an automatic transmission sports car, lol. Poseur!

All the really good sports cars are 'automatic' now, but not old school shush-o-matic.

• Like 1

When I was shopping for my Porsche Boxster years ago, the dealer asked if I wanted a manual or automatic.

I laughed and said "You mean people who don't know how to drive actually buy these?!!" Somewhat sarcastically.

Bonus points for manual transmission... definitely. I've never owned an automatic anything.

Yikes! You know they hardly sell manual anymore......my dad put me in a tree shift at age 15 and I took my test at 16 on a shift. He said simply, you learn to drive this, you can drive anything. Good advice that has served me well but I don't own a shift for my kids....:(.

All the really good sports cars are 'automatic' now, but not old school shush-o-matic.

This disappoints me, but it's true.

It's harder and harder to find a proper manual transmission in a sports car anymore. I once owned a manual 2002 Boxster S and it was a great car, but I recently drove a nearly new Cayman S with the PDK transmission on the track and it was fantastic. I've been driving a manual transmission since the very first time I got behind the wheel of a car, but there is no way I could shift on the track as fast as what Porsche can do with their dual clutch transmissions.

My NSX is a low tech manual five speed and it is as smooth as any other Honda transmission I have ever driven. However, compared to my friend's dual clutch Nissan GT-R it is definitely clunky in the shifts and I can't get in and out of gears as fast as he can.

Unfortunately, the technology has passed us by and dual clutch cars are the future of racing. I'm pretty sure Ferrari doesn't even offer a true single clutch transmission anymore, and everything in Formula 1 is dual clutch. I still like driving manual cars which is why I have one as old as I do, but the future is definitely pointing to paddle shifters. Where racing goes, the consumer cars will follow. I'm OK with it as long as there is no torque converter involved!

• Like 2
This disappoints me, but it's true.

I like old school manuals, and I like technology, so I can find something to like either way. My current paid for car is a 2012 German sedan with a robotic manual non-stick stickshift thing.

It drives pretty nice, and it's paid for.

Did I mention it's paid for?

A lot like that Volvo, more than likely.

• Like 2

Yeah, there are newer Volvo's with wet-clutch gearboxes, essentially parallel gear boxes for even (2/4/6) and odd (1/3/5) gears with their own wet clutch, a feature long used in industrial applications.

I've only ever owned manual transmission. Currently driving a Subaru station wagon. My 16yo daughter is learning manual too.

I've only ever owned manual transmission. Currently driving a Subaru station wagon. My 16yo daughter is learning manual too.

over here in America only about 5% of new cars are sold with a manual transmission. I suppose we really are lazy :laugh:

Some of it depends on where you live. My fiance has an automatic and I hate driving her car. However, she has a 17 mile commute every day that takes nearly an hour and a half each way in stop and go traffic, so it's a good choice for her. She grew up in NYC and didn't learn to drive until she was an adult, and has no desire to learn how to drive a manual transmission.

• Like 1
Some of it depends on where you live. My fiance has an automatic and I hate driving her car. However, she has a 17 mile commute every day that takes nearly an hour and a half each way in stop and go traffic, so it's a good choice for her. She grew up in NYC and didn't learn to drive until she was an adult, and has no desire to learn how to drive a manual transmission.

Yeah ... I like driving a manual, but I've done the 45-minute, stop-and-go commute in them before, at let me tell you—it's not fun. For practicality's sake, an automatic is the way to go here, but I lived somewhere with a lot of wide-open road, I'd probably want a manual.

• Like 2
She grew up in NYC and didn't learn to drive until she was an adult, and has no desire to learn how to drive a manual transmission.

that's a shame, driving a stick is one of life's pleasures

• Like 2
Yeah ... I like driving a manual, but I've done the 45-minute, stop-and-go commute in them before, at let me tell you—it's not fun. For practicality's sake, an automatic is the way to go here, but I lived somewhere with a lot of wide-open road, I'd probably want a manual.

Don't get me wrong ... if I had to commute in my car rather than ride public transportation, I'd be in an automatic or dual clutch with automatic mode in a heartbeat. Since I only drive for fun, I'll stick with the manual but you never know when life will change.

• Like 1
that's a shame, driving a stick is one of life's pleasures

Totally agreed, but to her and many other people driving is a chore and not something to be enjoyed. I don't get it, but to each their own.

Totally agreed, but to her and many other people driving is a chore and not something to be enjoyed. I don't get it, but to each their own.

I find cars a little boring myself, truth be told. I've always been more a motorcycle guy, and cars tend to be transportation appliances. I've never been able to justify spending the money for a really fun car either, which is probably part of it.

I find cars a little boring myself, truth be told. I've always been more a motorcycle guy, and cars tend to be transportation appliances. I've never been able to justify spending the money for a really fun car either, which is probably part of it.

It's completely a personal thing. I like motorcycles and have owned several, but I don't own one now because riding in a crowded city isn't all that fun in stop and go traffic with everyone trying to kill you. If I was in a more rural area I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Some people just don't like to drive. I do, and I don't understand people who don't, but that doesn't make either opinion more right. Some people like to snow ski and to me it's boring, but that doesn't say anything about the people who truly enjoy it. We all like what we like.

Driving an "appliance" car for me isn't all that fun but I do enjoy a nice spirited drive in a sporty car that was designed to carve up the corners. The car definitely does make the difference if you are looking for fun versus just point to point transportation.