Finding geeky women in the UK - officially given up

NinjaTurtlesAreCool

TheTraveler

I'm guessing that's in the US? I don't know why, but they hardly ever do that at UK cons. I've only ever been to one con where they tried that and apparently they abandoned it on the second day as it was such a disaster. The word was that all the guys that went couldn't speak to the women so it was all a bit awkward and rubbish. I couldn't go as I was at a photo shoot the same time it was on... I have no problems speaking to women (or anyone!) so I think I would have done alright at that. Typical!

What you described above I laughed as I felt like I was on another planet:laugh:

Yes, it's in the US. I did it one time and grabbed a ton of numbers and actually dated one for a bit. She was a cute little skinny geek, but I had to end it:lmao:

Check the huge cons in the UK and maybe it's changed? Read the schedule and see if the have one. For all the geeks out there, this would be right up your alley.

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

Check the huge cons in the UK and maybe it's changed? Read the schedule and see if the have one. For all the geeks out there, this would be right up your alley.

I've checked - they still don't do it. I'm guessing there's just not the demand here.

I've checked - they still don't do it. I'm guessing there's just not the demand here.

Tbf, I go to Comic Con every year and I would love to date someone I could talk and watch sci-fi with! But I don't think I'd go for Comic Con speed dating. Something about it feels a little desperate and contrived! Not for me at all. Possible that others feel the same, which is why it hasn't really taken off here in the UK. Plus, I go to Comic Con to have fun - not find a date! Too much going on for that!

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool
Tbf, I go to Comic Con every year and I would love to date someone I could talk and watch sci-fi with! But I don't think I'd go for Comic Con speed dating. Something about it feels a little desperate and contrived! Not for me at all. Possible that others feel the same, which is why it hasn't really taken off here in the UK. Plus, I go to Comic Con to have fun - not find a date! Too much going on for that!

I agree - I'm often too busy at these things too. The only chance I really get to speak to anyone is when I'm in queues...and if there's one thing there are plenty of at those things, it's queues! :laugh: Beyond that though, I can't see how I could possibly meet someone at those.

The only con that did a speed dating event was a Star Trek one a couple of years ago and I had a photo shoot at the same time so didn't do it. It would be nice to meet someone that shared that interest, even if it only ended up being a friendship. I wouldn't class myself as desperate, though.

I'm actually off to a con next weekend - I don't think I'll be doing many this year (maybe a couple).

I take it from your name that you're a Star Trek fan? :)

LookAtThisPOst
But I don't think I'd go for Comic Con speed dating.

You are missin' out...Geek Speed Dating at the cons seats fill up fast! :laugh: Plus, that's the one time of the year where you shouldn't have to worry about appearing desperate.

LookAtThisPOst

I am actually thinking about going this route, some Facebook groups form prior to a convention and I would attempt to chat up the ladies going to these cons via these FB groups. Got a major con coming up this year, they even have a "flying solo" specific for those coming to this convention by themselves.

So going to make nice with the ladies by chatting them up via the Facebook group.

You'd think it'd be easy seems as most chics are usually much more geekier and average or below than the cool they think they are.

Anyway ,can appreciate your taste , seen some really cute geeky types about , under the daggy clothes .

Good luck.

TheTraveler
You are missin' out...Geek Speed Dating at the cons seats fill up fast! :laugh: Plus, that's the one time of the year where you shouldn't have to worry about appearing desperate.

Agreed. You're surrounded by like-minded people. I would think it's the perfect place for geeks.

The one I dated her geek level was over 9000. Just too much for me:D

I am actually thinking about going this route, some Facebook groups form prior to a convention and I would attempt to chat up the ladies going to these cons via these FB groups. Got a major con coming up this year, they even have a "flying solo" specific for those coming to this convention by themselves.

So going to make nice with the ladies by chatting them up via the Facebook group.

Heck, why not? Go for it and do the speed dating.