More women than men at speed dating events

LookAtThisPOst

I reckon its a comfort zone thing. Most men are well out of their zone in such a scenario. Plus, as another poster said, they probably don't even know about the meetings - female intercommunication about such things is far in excess of what most men will be exposed to.

[]

I've still never seen or heard about these in my life. Whoever hosts them must suck at advertising.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
off topic ~6
  • Like 5

[]

Anyway, I think the ratio of men to women depends on location and age. When I was single, I was routinely offered free tickets to speed dating events because more men than women would sign up in my age group. Speed dating tends to be popular in large metropolitan areas. The ones I went to all had about a hundred attendees, evenly divided between men and women.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
off topic ~6
  • Like 5
Anyway, I think the ratio of men to women depends on location and age. When I was single, I was routinely offered free tickets to speed dating events because more men than women would sign up in my age group. Speed dating tends to be popular in large metropolitan areas. The ones I went to all had about a hundred attendees, evenly divided between men and women.
How were these tickets offered to you?
HandsomeAndLonely
I got to talking to this woman who plans on running a speed dating event for the big Valentines Day holiday. She said that unfortunately, the women have outnumbered the men in buying tickets to the event and they need more men.

I hear this happening a lot with any speed dating events or "singles soirees" of sorts. For an event that's totally singles focused, do you think men are turned off by the idea of speed dating or something so focused on pairing off singles with each other to ask rapid fire questions?

LOL! What kind of speed dating event did you attend?!

I ask because the speed dating event I went to in a nearby city was predominantly MALES!

yes, it was literally like a sausage fest - 13 males per 7 female attendance ratio.

I also (well, all male participants) had to pay $25 on some kind of website to get a ticket in order to participate in this speed dating event.

It was so bad that when males were rotated from one female table to another, certain males had to sit on the side at an empty table, until time was called, and then that guy would seat at a table with a female, and subsequent guy would sit alone twiddling his thumbs.

I only attended one speed dating event in my life, which was the one I've just described. It's a waste of my gas, time and money since it was 36 miles away from my town.

I'd rather do OLD, because there are more girls I see who fit my taste.

HandsomeAndLonely

^^ Exactly! That's how it was like at the speed dating event I've attended last year when moving to my new city. The ratio of men to women was 13:7. It was nuts! Lucky women got their fair pick. Guys also had to go home and log in to some kind of website to upload their pictures, and the women would log into their accounts and select whom they wanted to be with.

No speed dating for me. The women there weren't the type I'm interested in.

Funnily enough I went to my first ever speed dating event a couple of weeks ago. The ratio was 15 men to 12 women so not too bad.

I'm not in a place where I am actively looking for a relationship, as to be frank, I'm not over my ex. But I am in a place where I am interested in casual dating, just spending time with the opposite sex, and meeting new people.

I didn't meet anyone I clicked with, and although I could have potentially ticked 3 as "friends" and perhaps 1 as "fancy", I instead took the option to tick no to all and get a free second bite of the cherry, which wont be until end of March. It was quite a fun night to be honest and I went in with no expectations other than practising my 4 minute conversation skills haha.

I feel like if someone successfully combined the best parts of OLD and the best bit about speed dating (not having to wait weeks or months to actually meet someone face to face) they would make a killing.

I got to talking to this woman who plans on running a speed dating event for the big Valentines Day holiday. She said that unfortunately, the women have outnumbered the men in buying tickets to the event and they need more men.

I hear this happening a lot with any speed dating events or "singles soirees" of sorts. For an event that's totally singles focused, do you think men are turned off by the idea of speed dating or something so focused on pairing off singles with each other to ask rapid fire questions?

Because they're sick of OLD. They want to meet men the old fashioned way- in person. Women out number men at Meetup groups too but I believe men prefer OLD.

• Like 1

I think that women are usually more courageous to embrace the new ways of meeting people, and are more actively looking for the partner, while men are usually ashamed to admit that they are lonely, and would often say that speed dating is lame or pathetic, just because they are afraid of such things.

thefooloftheyear
I think that women are usually more courageous to embrace the new ways of meeting people, and are more actively looking for the partner, while men are usually ashamed to admit that they are lonely, and would often say that speed dating is lame or pathetic, just because they are afraid of such things.

I don't know anything about OLD or speed dating, but it sounds kind of corny or lame to me...I'd expect a bunch of overweight and desperate middle aged women looking for their Knight in Shining Armor.....Maybe that's unfair, but just a feeling/hunch....

Also, as something that is geared more towards middle aged/older(?) crowd, these age ranges seem to be more women than men...As someone who knows a lot of middle aged guys(many that still seem to have a lot going for them), its evident that a good many of them are content to stay on the sideline and focus on work/hobbies/buddies...

TFY

• Author
LookAtThisPOst
I don't know anything about OLD or speed dating, but it sounds kind of corny or lame to me...I'd expect a bunch of overweight and desperate middle aged women looking for their Knight in Shining Armor.....Maybe that's unfair, but just a feeling/hunch....

Also, as something that is geared more towards middle aged/older(?) crowd, these age ranges seem to be more women than men...As someone who knows a lot of middle aged guys(many that still seem to have a lot going for them), its evident that a good many of them are content to stay on the sideline and focus on work/hobbies/buddies...

TFY

I have heard stories where women who had boyfriends would sign up for these things to "see how it is." Very sad. I guess they were getting their attention fix.

WaitingForBardot
I have heard stories where women who had boyfriends would sign up for these things to "see how it is." Very sad. I guess they were getting their attention fix.

I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before, but I was in school when some of the first matching algorithms for dating were being developed. One of my matches showed up to our coffee date with her boyfriend, saying they had only signed up to see what kind of losers would sign up for computer dating! ..lol.. We actually all hit it off and became friends for awhile.

• Author
LookAtThisPOst
I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before, but I was in school when some of the first matching algorithms for dating were being developed. One of my matches showed up to our coffee date with her boyfriend, saying they had only signed up to see what kind of losers would sign up for computer dating! ..lol.. We actually all hit it off and became friends for awhile.

Hm, I wouldn't want to be friends with someone that made that remark.

It just seems corny and lame to me and if I were still single I would meet women the organic way like I always did. I have never been into paying a service to find me somebody.

• Like 1

Did you go there for a similar reason? That is one of the only reasons I could see someone becoming friends with another who came to mock you. :/

GunslingerRoland

For me, I can't imagine doing a speed dating event. It takes me a while to warm up while talking to someone. Try to quick sell myself on someone that fast, while at the same time appearing interested in them, sounds like something I would fail at.

I can imagine with most men being quieter on average, it's similar for others.

I've read somewhere (possibly on here) that speed dating is comparable to shopping in the mall. Women enjoy going through the stores, looking at things, but not necessarily buying anything. They appreciate the experience. Men prefer to go in, get specifically what they want, and then leave.

I can't speak to the accuracy of this claim since I've never been speed dating. I might have tried it while single if I had known about any events in my area. As others have said, their marketing is practically nonexistent.

• Like 2

Interesting evolution...

Post #29:

I went to a speed-dating event once. Of twenty-four women there, none were interested in dating an Indian man. I have no way to prescreen for this before going to an event, so I see no reason to subject myself to that in the future.

-to-

Post #67:

I can't speak to the accuracy of this claim since I've never been speed dating. I might have tried it while single if I had known about any events in my area. As others have said, their marketing is practically nonexistent.
  • Like 2
Interesting evolution...
Yes, that was my mistake. The event I went to was actually a Stir Event by Match.com. I honestly didn't know the difference between stir events and speed dating at the time of the first post.

One of my friends (who is not single anymore) went to a speed dating event here and she's been wanting me to go. I like novelty and adventure so I would do it just to say I tried something new but I haven't gone yet. I imagine that you have to be big talker (which I am :o) but I'm guessing men would hate it since you have to talk a lot (to strangers, omg!) and they hate talking.

Just out of curiosity, what the hell is speed dating??
Speed dating is an organized event where people spend a few minutes with each member of the opposite sex and determine if they want to see any again. Typically, the women remain seated and the men move around every few minutes on a timer. Both men and women give the organizers the list of people they would like to remain in contact with. If both parties said yes, they get each other's contact information.
  • Author
LookAtThisPOst
Just out of curiosity, what the hell is speed dating??

TFY

Dang, man, what rock have you been living under? lol

I've read somewhere (possibly on here) that speed dating is comparable to shopping in the mall. Women enjoy going through the stores, looking at things, but not necessarily buying anything. They appreciate the experience. Men prefer to go in, get specifically what they want, and then leave.

My current BF told me he had gone to one before he met me. He described it like that. I think he told me he met 12 women. 6 he likes and 3 he felt were OK but them on his list anyway. None of the women picked my BF. He still is a bit jaded by the experience.

I've never been but I've seen events where they were looking for women to fill seats. I've always done OLD. I'm a bit torn because I like sensing chemistry in person but I don't know if I can do that in such a short amount of time. I also like the information I get ahead of time on some OLD sites that's helped me eliminate guys who were incompatible.

I have a question for the ladies in this thread who have been to or are just aware of speed dating events: How are you notified about these events? Do you receive notification in the mail or email? Do you see ads online? Is it advertised on TV or in public anywhere?