Image and Style - Again

• Author
LW, you've got those simplistic and minimalist leanings, stick to that with your wardrobe.

Simple cuts, easy fabrics, practical, comfortable, well made, nicely fitting. Don't get crazy with the color palettes. I personally like to keep things mostly neutral, with the occasional bright pop of color thrown in.

I agree that it's hard to work with hats and such during summertime. During winter you'll have a much better time with accessories. Hats and scarves are a good way to take a simple outfit of shirt and pants, and add a personal touch.

IMO winter is better for everything, anyway, but I'm just biased! :)

Phoe, that doesn't work where I am, though it's excellent when I'm in rural areas.

I have to stand out a bit and have a presence to get into places (this includes restaurants, not only clubs).

When I'm well dressed, but not boring, like in a suit, I get the best tables, free VIP, free drinks, etc.

It makes a huge difference here how you look.

Phoe, that doesn't work where I am, though it's excellent when I'm in rural areas.

I have to stand out a bit and have a presence to get into places (this includes restaurants, not only clubs).

When I'm well dressed, but not boring, like in a suit, I get the best tables, free VIP, free drinks, etc.

It makes a huge difference here how you look.

I guess I just wouldn't really know what that's like, since I've never experienced it.

Sometimes it seems as though you're trying to meld rural and urban, and find someone that fits into both of those worlds, but you're only coming across those who fit in one those worlds.

It's a difficult meld to accomplish. 2 very different lifestyles, and most people have not lived both, they've either lived one or the other. You've lived both.

Right now you're being distracted by the city girls, and you seem to yearn for something more rural, but I imagine if you had a more rural girl, you'd yearn for her to have more urban leanings.

• Author
I guess I just wouldn't really know what that's like, since I've never experienced it.

Sometimes it seems as though you're trying to meld rural and urban, and find someone that fits into both of those worlds, but you're only coming across those who fit in one those worlds.

It's a difficult meld to accomplish. 2 very different lifestyles, and most people have not lived both, they've either lived one or the other. You've lived both.

Right now you're being distracted by the city girls, and you seem to yearn for something more rural, but I imagine if you had a more rural girl, you'd yearn for her to have more urban leanings.

THIS!!!!!!!!

This is 1000000000000% exactly the problem I have.

That's why I was so stuck on yoga. She was one of the few that was a traveler and could understand and play in the most sophisticated clubs/restaurants on Earth, as well as be 100 miles from the nearest person and do just fine taking a shower with a bucket and wash cloth.

Literally, this is exactly what I hope to find, though the hippie side is more important to me than the city side.

This is precisely, 100% my problem and I didn't bother to get into it because nobody understands.

Very, very perceptive!

THIS!!!!!!!!

That's why I was so stuck on yoga. She was one of the few that was a traveler and could understand and play in the most sophisticated clubs/restaurants on Earth, as well as be 100 miles from the nearest person and do just fine taking a shower with a bucket and wash cloth.

Literally, this is exactly what I hope to find, though the hippie side is more important to me than the city side.

This is precisely, 100% my problem and I didn't bother to get into it because nobody understands.

Very, very perceptive!

Ahh, I thought so.

Just totally my 2 cents that may not have any validity... I think you'd have an easier time searching for the more rural girl, and then take her into a city, than taking the city girl and having her go rural.

In either instance you might get culture shock or general reluctance, but IMO if you plan to be more nomadic in the long run, searching for a more rural girl that can handle a big city, will be easier than finding the big city girl who can handle regularly bathing using a bucket :D

THIS!!!!!!!!

Very, very perceptive!

Then I guess, the question becomes: why is it important to you to get into the best clubs, restaurants? To get VIP tables and free drinks?

Alternatively, why is living off the grid so important to you?

Or perhaps, there is a drive that links those two desires for you? Perhaps you like to feel exceptional, outstanding and admired (even as it involves following the latest fashion trends in order to get the VIP treatment you like)?

• Like 2
  • Author
Ahh, I thought so.

Just totally my 2 cents that may not have any validity... I think you'd have an easier time searching for the more rural girl, and then take her into a city, than taking the city girl and having her go rural.

In either instance you might get culture shock or general reluctance, but IMO if you plan to be more nomadic in the long run, searching for a more rural girl that can handle a big city, will be easier than finding the big city girl who can handle regularly bathing using a bucket :D

Agreed.

That's kind of what I mean by a "hippie chick."

That's who I'm looking for.

There are not many at all here. Probably none.

• Author
Then I guess, the question becomes: why is it important to you to get into the best clubs, restaurants? To get VIP tables and free drinks?

Because it's important when in urban areas not to be shunned.Urban areas are no fun if you aren't using them to their fullest.

Alternatively, why is living off the grid so important to you?

Because it's relaxing and pleasant as well as challenging

Or perhaps, there is a drive that links those two desires for you? Perhaps you like to feel exceptional, outstanding and admired (even as it involves following the latest fashion trends in order to get the VIP treatment you like)?

I like variety, like most travelers.

Heatherknows
Agreed.

That's kind of what I mean by a "hippie chick."

That's who I'm looking for.

There are not many at all here. Probably none.

That's not true! Dude you know they are everywhere in NY.

• Like 3
Definitely tight fit jeans. Not fully skinny, but whatever that next one is... i guess that is slim fit also.

For casual times: AXLE in BLACK - WHITE | SUPRA Footwear

Also considering a pair of these in black for use with jeans...

VAIDER D in BLACK - WHITE | SUPRA Footwear

Dunno, I have not bought in to shoes with a sole (the white part) that is just so freakin' thick. Not too fond of that kind of style.

Have you heard of a brand called Creative Recreation? (cr8rec.com). I think they offer shoes comparable to Supra (I like creative recreation more tbh). You may notice a tad more "flare" with Creative Recreation. They are based out of Santa Monica and is an AWESOME company. Their shoes tend to have a smaller fit though.

Personally, I would not consider 95% of the shoes offered by Creative Rec or Supra. My GF, who might be exactly your type, except for the 100 pounds of muscle (wtf) and a couple other details, looks very classy when she goes out (this is fact, not just not my opinion). It just would not look right if I am wearing Creative Recs or Supras when I am with her. They come off kiddish. With that said, Creative Rec once made the most nicest brown shoes I ever owned. Wish I bought multiples :(

• Author
Dunno, I have not bought in to shoes with a sole (the white part) that is just so freakin' thick. Not too fond of that kind of style.

Have you heard of a brand called Creative Recreation? (cr8rec.com). I think they offer shoes comparable to Supra (I like creative recreation more tbh). You may notice a tad more "flare" with Creative Recreation. They are based out of Santa Monica and is an AWESOME company. Their shoes tend to have a smaller fit though.

Personally, I would not consider 95% of the shoes offered by Creative Rec or Supra. My GF, who might be exactly your type, except for the 100 pounds of muscle (wtf) and a couple other details, looks very classy when she goes out (this is fact, not just not my opinion). It just would not look right if I am wearing Creative Recs or Supras when I am with her. They come off kiddish. With that said, Creative Rec once made the most nicest brown shoes I ever owned. Wish I bought multiples :(

Those are for dressing down, not going out.

You wear this stuff in fun neighborhoods. Art districts.

These shoes are in on the east coast. Just ahead of the trend.

They are kiddish, which is what's great. They allow you to fit right in at any artsy, alternative, tatted up 'hood.

Creative Rec looks cool and exactly like Supras. :)

• Author
Those white soles are a bit yikes-ey to me too, but hey I'm behind the times here in the midwest. ;)

They're in here.

Gum soles were last year here. :)

Plus, it's probably important to remember it's NYC. Everything is loud.

Those are for dressing down, not going out.

You wear this stuff in fun neighborhoods. Art districts.

These shoes are in on the east coast. Just ahead of the trend.

They are kiddish, which is what's great. They allow you to fit right in at any artsy, alternative, tatted up 'hood.

Creative Rec looks cool and exactly like Supras. :)

I got to artsy places all the time (my GF is very artsy) and I still would not wear 95% of those shoes by creative or Supra (probably more than 95%, have not looked over their inventories in a long time). I'd say those shoes fit right in artsy places that are more like hip-hop-artsy, where young hip-hop-artist-hopefuls frequent lol.

But anyway... I am very familiar with the look of Supra high tops with skinny jeans.

They're in here.

Gum soles were last year here. :)

Plus, it's probably important to remember it's NYC. Everything is loud.

Hey pops (it's ok if I call you that right?) I believe you when you say those shoes are in in NYC. They are in in LA, too. But it's about who they are in with, pops. The who being 20 year-old kids.

C'mon pops!

• Like 1
Hey pops (it's ok if I call you that right?) I believe you when you say those shoes are in in NYC. They are in in LA, too. But it's about who they are in with, pops. The who being 20 year-old kids.

C'mon pops!

And as a certified hippie chick, it's not their boyfriends wearing them!

Hippie chicks aren't so concerned about what's in, and go more for functional brands. Things you can buy at REI.

• Like 1

Hippie chicks aren't so concerned about what's in, and go more for functional brands. Things you can buy at REI.

And in addition, neither Vin Diesel nor Paul Walker would wear those hightops. I don't want to make it sound like I am bashing LW, I'm not. How he dresses is working for him, but he asked about style, so it opens up the door for some harsh critiques.

LW, you obviously get results with the young early 20's girls, but going with a slightly more refined look may yield you different results. Maybe better results? The thing is though, can you change your style while not feeling like you can't be yourself?

• Author

Yup. True.

Very New England.

That stuff gets you shunned in Manhattan.

Different costumes for different places.

I do believe we will never arrive at anything more sensible than the thoughts already given (and received) regarding styles.

I wear different costumes depending where I am. Very few can understand this other than fellow travelers (and Phoe).

• Author
And in addition, neither Vin Diesel nor Paul Walker would wear those hightops. I don't want to make it sound like I am bashing LW, I'm not. How he dresses is working for him, but he asked about style, so it opens up the door for some harsh critiques.

LW, you obviously get results with the young early 20's girls, but going with a slightly more refined look may yield you different results. Maybe better results? The thing is though, can you change your style while not feeling like you can't be yourself?

Absolutely. I have completely different costumes for every type of environment.

I guess I'm not all that different from Johnny Depp after all!

I wear vastly different things depending where I am and who I'm interacting with.

Example: Trendy restaurant is dark jeans, fitted top, black loafers. Working with my employees at the boat is Walmart undershirts and Walmart board shorts.

Makes a HUGE difference what the venue is.

If I rolled up to a job site in my urban wear, I wouldn't be accepted there either.

Meeting up at a bar with 19 yo and 21 yo friends for a drink at 9:00. Will go refined. See what other older women think tonight.

Edited by loveweary11
I wear different costumes depending where I am. Very few can understand this other than fellow travelers (and Phoe).

Not fair to compare anyone to Phoe due to her unmatched awesomeness. :D

• Like 1
  • Author

I think Phoe nailed this though.

I'm struggling to find a hippie in a concrete jungle.

Probably not going to happen.

I think I need to get back to looking for ltrs once I return to Florida this winter and more northern climates next summer.

• Author
Not fair to compare anyone to Phoe due to her unmatched awesomeness. :D

Agreed. Everyone else is at a handicap. :D

• Like 1
Absolutely. I have completely different costumes for every type of environment.

I guess I'm not all that different from Johnny Depp after all!

I wear vastly different things depending where I am and who I'm interacting with.

Example: Trendy restaurant is dark jeans, fitted top, black loafers. Working with my employees at the boat is Walmart undershirts and Walmart board shorts.

Makes a HUGE difference what the venue is.

If I rolled up to a job site in my urban wear, I wouldn't be accepted there either.

Doesnt everyone do this? :confused:

I mean, I certainly dress differently when I go hiking than I do if I'm going to a four star restaurant. And dress differently than that for work. Etc...I don't see how this has anything to do with being a "traveller." It's just life. Or am I missing something?

• Like 4