I eat the same thing for breakfast, snack, and lunch every day. It's efficient and budget-friendly. Dinner always varies.

I did that a lot when I was younger. Every day, every meal, chicken and rice for the most part. I just did a protein shake for breakfast and then a meal of chicken and rice @7pm. I did that every day for years. I didn't really have cravings....for food. Most days I also ate out where ever.

It never occurred to me to be bored with the meal. It tasted good to me, was easy to make, easy to clean up from and easy to shop for. I still do a lot of chicken and rice. No rice does not make you fat, but I have no doubt at that time I coulda been eating a large pizza everyday and still be in shape.

For snacking, I now have lots of fruits and some vegies. I like mangos, peaches, pineapple. strawberries and carrots. I like the fruits before they're ripe and still very firm, chop them up, squeeze lime all over it (I have a dental plan!) and some salt. Not as healthy as can be, but far from being as bad as it can get. Also really like eating pomelos, but they're only in season so long and like $3 a pomelo lol

Edited by Imported
Hi all, For the last year since I split up with my wife, I have been depressed. Also, since I no longer design the meal lists, I have put on a large amount of weight.

I wasn't svelte before at 6' tall and 217 lbs (my ideal weight is around 180), but I must have put on at least an additional 15-20 lbs in this last year. This is the heaviest I have been...maybe ever and it's all around my mid-section.

For some weird psychological reason, I crave things constantly. I can be re-heating some food and want to eat something to tide me over until it's warm. I can have lunch and want a snack 20 min later. Granted I'm not satisfying myself when I eat (I want to lose weight), but that works against me because I invariably reach for a snack when I should be going hungry.

Now, I recognize in myself the fact that I need to suffer regarding hunger in order to control my weight. It has always been this way. I know that the only way for me to get to and maintain a reasonable weight is to feel hungry most of the time. I used to do that, but this last year, I just haven't found the resolution to do it anymore so I get my snacks and let myself go.

I have been fighting it lately though and won't buy chips, regular crackers or cheese anymore (though I am living with a relative for the time being and it's in the house, I really try not to eat theirs.) While I know the only way for me to really get where I wish to be is sheer will-power, I also understand that as long as I'm living here and am depressed, I will continue to snack. Therefore I have decided to try to find healthier things to snack on.

I have: Celery and hummus, fruit, melba toast and tuna, pretzels. Red-baron mini pizzas (okay, I couldn't help it :rolleyes:.) Next time I'll skip the mini pizzas but I can drag them out over a few weeks so as not to just pig-out.

I'm looking for suggestions. My requirements are: Quick and easy to prepare (a one-time setup isn't out of the question as long as the prepared ingredients meet my other requirements.) Inexpensive (this is my least important criterion.) Low fat / calorie, tasty, satisfying, doesn't take up much room in my 'fridge...preferably not refrigerated.

Any magic ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ken

Hello Ken, sorry to hear about the tough time you are going through. It is very hard to lose and maintain a healthy weight in society today, with the numerous unhealthy products being pushed at us.

Great to hear you are taking positive steps. Have you tried protein powder or meal replacement shakes? I never liked them at first, but using them over a period of several years has helped me keep off the 30+ pounds I gained after a breakup.

Slimfast and I believe V8 have protein bars as well if you are not into liquid replacements.