avintagegirl

Ken -

What about jar salads? I make these salads all the time for work. I make them at the start of the week and they last all week. You could make a larger salad with them using quart size mason jars, or smaller snack sized or side salad size using the pint jars.

The key is to put any dressing (a vinaigrette) at the bottom and the leaves (any leafy green) at the top. I make all sorts of salads. For my lunch ones I like to load up on the veggies and the proteins, chicken or chickpeas. Ive made fruitier salads using dried fruits and fresh fruits.

I do put cheese in my salad because I think all things in moderation. My favorite is a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, then apples and strawberries, chicken, feta cheese, and sliced almonds with a mix of greens.

I invest time Sunday evening chopping and assembling and for the following week all I have to do is grab a jar and instant snack or meal. Ive had salads with fruit like apples last for 10 days (that one had a few wonky apple pieces, but all in all it was good). It would be a longer lasting snack that is filling.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/mason-jar-salads#.lqXBrQPnz

Best of luck to you!

Edited by avintagegirl
  • Author
Ken -

What about jar salads? I make these salads all the time for work. I make them at the start of the week and they last all week. You could make a larger salad with them using quart size mason jars, or smaller snack sized or side salad size using the pint jars.

The key is to put any dressing (a vinaigrette) at the bottom and the leaves (any leafy green) at the top. I make all sorts of salads. For my lunch ones I like to load up on the veggies and the proteins, chicken or chickpeas. Ive made fruitier salads using dried fruits and fresh fruits.

I do put cheese in my salad because I think all things in moderation. My favorite is a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, then apples and strawberries, chicken, feta cheese, and sliced almonds with a mix of greens.

I invest time Sunday evening chopping and assembling and for the following week all I have to do is grab a jar and instant snack or meal. Ive had salads with fruit like apples last for 10 days (that one had a few wonky apple pieces, but all in all it was good). It would be a longer lasting snack that is filling.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/mason-jar-salads#.lqXBrQPnz

Best of luck to you!

Thanks VintageGirl, that's a pretty good idea. Get the busy work done one day and enjoy them all week. I do like salads. I had been known to buy the plastic-bowl all-in-one salad at the store for $3.99. I stopped because it's a friggin' rip-off!

Wonky eh? Britain, south Africa or Australia? :D

TaraMaiden2

...The only thing I would say about this article (and it is the most picky point and I'm half-crazy for even mentioning it!) is that 'Farro' is the Italian word for Spelt.

Spelt is a commonly-used grain in making breads, so it's not rare, it's not new and it's just a gimmicky word to make it sound more exotic.

As an aside, which may help, I roast my own barley grains, and use them liberally in salads.

Buy a pack of good-quality barley. (If you can, buy hulled barley, because it hasn't been stripped of the outer coating which adds fibre and goodness....)

Tip the whole lot into a large bowl.

Run it under the cold tap and rinse it a couple of times, to get rid of the dust. (The water will be a creamy colour... drain this off, rinse, drain, rinse, drain, until the water is clearer. )

Now cover the barley with cold water (about an inch above the level of the grain) and leave overnight.

In the morning, Heat your oven to 180 degrees C, (350F Gas mark 4)

and prepare one or two large oven trays.

Line these with tinfoil.

While the oven is heating, drain off the water from the barley.

Transfer the barley to a large tea towel, spread it out on the towel to almost the edges, then roll it up, to dry the excess moisture.

Distribute the barley between the two oven trays, spread it out well, and place in the oven.

Every 10 minutes or so, stir the barley up with a flat plastic or wooden spatula (not metal - you'll rip the aluminium) because as it bakes, it sticks together...

Loosen it up nicely, then once it stops sticking together, and begins to toast, you can leave it to continue toasting until done.

The final colour should be like the coating on hazelnuts, maybe even slightly darker.

Remove from oven, allow to cool. Store in a kilner jar.

When I want to use some, I put a measure into a bowl, and JUST cover it, by one quarter-inch with freshly-boiled water, and leave it overnight. It softens and becomes deliciously edible.

You can also add it to stews, soups and casseroles about 15 minutes before cooking time has finished.

If you're in a hurry, put some on a pan, cover with water, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Don't throw the water away. It's Barley tea, and very nutritious!

(BTW, I HAVE bookmarked that 'salad-in-a-jar' link. It all looks fekkin' amazing!!)

TaraMaiden2

I would add that if you have a coffee grinder, if you grind some of the barley into a flour, it makes 'Tsampa'.

I use it as a base in broth to thicken soups... with Miso paste and Konnyaku noodles, it's an amazing meal....

I find spices / sauces make all the difference in terms of making something yum or not. For example, I'll take a bag of frozen veggies and heat it up and then add sambal oelek to it and its delicious!! Not a typical snack idea, but very healthy and filling.

I'm a big fan of fruits, yogurt, or sweet potato for healthy snacking. And I might be crazy, but my absolute favourite not-too-high-calorie snack is actually lean salami or prosciutto slices. :laugh: It's not as low-cal as celery, obviously, and it's processed meat so you want to not eat TOO much of it... but it tastes amazing on its own, you just have to grab a slice out of the fridge, and it has filling protein. It's also pretty expensive though, so I only have it occasionally.

IMO cheese is not too bad for snacking as long as you eat a small amount only, and preferably the lower cal and high protein cheeses. Crackers and chips are really bad - they're about 500 kcal/100g and are nutritionally void, so I would avoid those as much as possible.

• Author

Wow Tara, thanks for the tip on Barley, I'll look for it next time I'm in sprouts or Trader Joes.

Spices do make a big difference. I was experimenting with different spices with different foods and got quite good. Now that I'm not living at "home" with all my ingredients, I find it frustrating and don't wish to go spend a fortune buying all new stock. As I was moving out of "our" house, on the last day when I wanted to throw a bunch of stuff away, I basically found most of our pantry in the trash can and it full to the brim. All of the stuff I had bought to make a happy home...herbs, spices, couscous, pasta, grains, almost everything in the trash. It was a combination message about what she thought about my cooking and how she felt about giving me room in the trash to toss my crap away. Sorry, just came out.

I bought turkey lunch meat last week but it's "peppered." It has these black flecks all through it. I like the pepper but the meat is a little bland. Yesterday I found the package in the trash. I had just opened it the day before but someone thought it was bad (didn't read the label.)

It seems to be a recurring theme. I guess the message is clear, stop cooking and make money. Apparently they are exclusive.

However, I'll say with a bit of embarrassment that the meat was still in its plastic storage container, was on top and was still cold so I pulled it out of the trash and will eat it myself. No, they won't win! Low fat protein, its only issue is it resided in a trash bag for awhile. People have done worse and it cost me friggin $3.99.

Guess I'm tired of seeing good food in the trash. Kinda bitter tonight. I am sure ready to live alone!

Ken

fitnessfan365

Ken,

One side effect of dehydration is hunger. So how much water are you drinking per day? Also, how much sleep are you getting. Lack of sleep can also lead to craving junk food.

Also, how much exercise are you getting per week? I often find that people try to lose weight simply by eating differently. However, if you want to make a longer lasting change to your body, regular exercise is best. It will also do wonders for fighting depression and making you feel better.

• Like 3
TaraMaiden2

Such a great post:

Ken,

One side effect of dehydration is hunger. So how much water are you drinking per day? Also, how much sleep are you getting. Lack of sleep can also lead to craving junk food.

I found if I was getting 'hunger pangs' I would drink a good glass of water. If 10 minutes later, I STILL felt hungry - then I was hungry. If I didn't feel hungry - I needed the water.

Also, how much exercise are you getting per week? I often find that people try to lose weight simply by eating differently. However, if you want to make a longer lasting change to your body, regular exercise is best. It will also do wonders for fighting depression and making you feel better

I cycle to work and back every day. (3.2 miles >----<. I know it's not much, but it's all I can do!)

I'm not a lycra-wearing, 'crouch-down-over-the-handlebars' cyclist - I'm a middle-aged shop assistant fer chrissakes! But it DOES keep me fit and definitely has made a difference. My butt is smaller, for one! :D

• 2 weeks later...
WasOtherWoman

I approach snacking a bit differently.. I generally don't eat between meals. In order to get there though, I learned that, if i ate a bit more at meals (i only eat breakfast and a late lunch, no dinner..... Intermittant Fasting), then I did not need to snack. This takes care of the unhealthy snacking problem because if you are eating healthy meals, and limiting your eating to meals only, you are not reaching for snacks period.

I know this approach is not for everyone, but it has allowed me to maintain my weight for many years (my body would love to be heavier...).

Just my two cents.

Kenmore, I have always had an affinity with Japanese food, and could spend hours watching youtube clips on how to ferment the ever famous Tsukemono pickles... the ubiquitous and essential addition to any Japanese meal.

There is a specific art form to producing perfect vegetable pickles, and I make my own, by pickling in salt, bran and in brine.

Their nutritive properties have to be seen to be believed. They're amazing and once bitten by the pickling bug, it's hard to not keep eating and making them!

I recommend you try your own....

I've been doing my own for around 3 years now, and they're delicious - and addictive - but so-o-o-o-o good for you!

Some low fat cottage cheese is a good snack, it's got quite alot of protein content and if you don't eat a whole tub of it, not too much fat!

If I fancy a nice tuna salad i substitute mayonnaise for low fat cottage cheese and it's actually delicious :D

Chillies/peppers are a great snack for those who like the spice.

Almond nuts have healthy fat content and a handful of them are good for you and satisfying.

• Like 1
Hi all, For the last year since I split up with my wife, I have been depressed. Also, since I no longer design the meal lists, I have put on a large amount of weight.

I wasn't svelte before at 6' tall and 217 lbs (my ideal weight is around 180), but I must have put on at least an additional 15-20 lbs in this last year. This is the heaviest I have been...maybe ever and it's all around my mid-section.

For some weird psychological reason, I crave things constantly. I can be re-heating some food and want to eat something to tide me over until it's warm. I can have lunch and want a snack 20 min later. Granted I'm not satisfying myself when I eat (I want to lose weight), but that works against me because I invariably reach for a snack when I should be going hungry.

Now, I recognize in myself the fact that I need to suffer regarding hunger in order to control my weight. It has always been this way. I know that the only way for me to get to and maintain a reasonable weight is to feel hungry most of the time. I used to do that, but this last year, I just haven't found the resolution to do it anymore so I get my snacks and let myself go.

I have been fighting it lately though and won't buy chips, regular crackers or cheese anymore (though I am living with a relative for the time being and it's in the house, I really try not to eat theirs.) While I know the only way for me to really get where I wish to be is sheer will-power, I also understand that as long as I'm living here and am depressed, I will continue to snack. Therefore I have decided to try to find healthier things to snack on.

I have: Celery and hummus, fruit, melba toast and tuna, pretzels. Red-baron mini pizzas (okay, I couldn't help it :rolleyes:.) Next time I'll skip the mini pizzas but I can drag them out over a few weeks so as not to just pig-out.

I'm looking for suggestions. My requirements are: Quick and easy to prepare (a one-time setup isn't out of the question as long as the prepared ingredients meet my other requirements.) Inexpensive (this is my least important criterion.) Low fat / calorie, tasty, satisfying, doesn't take up much room in my 'fridge...preferably not refrigerated.

Any magic ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ken

Friend, I am 6'2'' 180 lbs and eat a ton of food (6 meals a day, to be precise).

How do I do it? Protein. It fills you up with less calories. And I eat the same thing every day. That's important. The less thinking you have to do in food prep...the less chance you will buy something NOT on your meal list as well as the less time it takes to prepare every day.

Here is what I eat every week day:

7am -

1 packet of gluten free oatmeal

2 omega-3 egg and cheese omelet

1 chicken sausage

fruit (banana, blueberries, etc)

11am -

1/2 lb of ground turkey browned in a skillet

1/2 cup (dry) of quinoa

3pm -

2 slices of P28 bread (seriously look it up, it rocks) with PB2 peanut butter

ORRRR

Hummus+gluten free crackers with a gluten free breakfast replacement shake

7pm -

1/2 lb of tilapia (soaked in diet tonic water) with 1/2 tbsp. butter, lemon juice, parm cheese, and spices

1/2 packet of frozen vegetables

9pm -

Post workout shake (when applicable): 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 cup milk, 3/4 cup blueberries, 1 banana, handful of spinach, 3 egg whites

12am -

Casein protein powder with unsweetened almond or cashew milk

-----------

If you don't work out, skip post-workout (and maybe the casein...up to you, I wake up hungry in the middle of the night and this stopped it).

Now I know what you're thinking. "Empresario, I could never eat that much and stay thin like you". Yes, you can. Maybe not quite that much, but basically.

Most people that try to use diet to stay thin make the cardinal mistake of eating too little. That's right, I said too little. Our bodies are designed to withstand months of FAMINE. When you eat too little, your body reverts to it's primitive metabolism and starts storing excess.

Me? My body is in constant FEAST mode. They've proven 30g of protein puts your body in a state of rebuilding (muscles) so that's my target every meal. I think eat whole, natural foods that are low on dangerous calories.

Voila. Fitness.

I hope some of those suggestions helped! I have only recently figured out how to simultaneously lose fat and put on muscle. But keep in mind some of this depends on your body type.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Find snacks you actually like. It's a process of trail and error but it's worth it. I tried to go on an all healthy diet by eating the boring stuff I thought I was supposed to-and it didn't work out. Now I've found what I like and crave those foods and snacks. Also, don't completely cut out the "bad" foods. Have one small thing a day or a few a week.

Things I like:

-Acai bowls with fruit and almond butter. This depends on where you get it. I've had them at some places that were so bland and boring, I would have sworn then off forever if that was the first time I tried it.

-strawberries, yum

-dark chocolate covered almonds, make sure they don't have too much sugar

-avocado on sprouted bread, with sriracha. Throw on an egg if I feel like it.

- smokey maple flavored seitan by Turtle farm. I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but this stuff is good, especially on a blt.

- baked sweet potato drizzled with pure maple syrup, crushed pecans, and cinnamon.

-baked kale, sprinkled with any seasoning you like. A great alternative to chips.

- if you make tuna salad, subtitute mayo with avocado.

-various smoothies and juices. But NO jamba juice. They are not heathy.

What kinds of foods and flavors do you like? Find what you're drawn to and find alternatives for that.

Edited by camillalev

OP, I know you said you avoid guacamole because of the high fat content, plus the chips.

However, I buy yellow squash and/or zucchini, slice them very thin on a diagonal, and use them for dipping into the guac rather than chips. Delicious and healthy, and you will stay full for quite awhile.

• Like 1

For me – reducing hunger / snacking is about cutting out the refined carbs, and replacing them with protein. Protein makes me feel fuller, longer, I don’t get as many cravings when my diet is high on protein. Here are some of the “snacks” I try to keep around:

Hard boiled eggs – especially if I eat just the whites (dog gets the yokes)

Lunch meat – ham or turkey (I try to find ones that aren’t tooo salty)

Hummus w/ carrots (instead of a refined carb)

Beef jerky

Greek Yogurt (like mentioned above, I often have this for a “desert”)

Cottage cheese w/ fresh fruit or a bit of honey

Tuna salad (made with reasonable ingredients, not a mountain of mayo!)

Turkey Meat Balls – I buy frozen ones, and heat a few up when I am famished

I can’t do sugary breakfast. Fruit / oatmeal / cereals etc are the kiss of death for me. I will be FAMISHED in short order if I start m day with any of those.

Most days I have a soft boiled egg – and the whites from a hard boiled, with Ak-Mak crackers – which are whole wheat, 0 sugars, and a fair amount of fiber. This breakfast is low cal, and will keep me satisfied till lunch (which is after my work out).

Oh, and I also like “fairlife” chocolate milk for a quick pick me up / sweet treat – lower in sugar than the regular stuff, 19 grams of protein, and only 200 cals.

Oh, and I agree, that apples can make me feel “hungry” in short order. But I DO love apples –so I tend to have them with my lunch, paired with a good source of protein.

And while carbs and protein have the same number of calories per gram – the way your body digests and utilizes them is VERY different. Some carbs are turned into sugar the moment they hit saliva – while protein takes much longer to digest.

I have good luck sticking to proteins, and copious amounts of vegis (healthy carbs, fiber) when I am trying to lose weight.

(oh and BARLEY – Trader Joes has a frozen barley / vegi mix that I love)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Quick, easy, appetising and nutritious.

Ingredients:

One large general-purpose potato (eg: Maris Piper), about the size of an orange

two large eggs

2 heaped Tbsps grated parmesan

fine breadcrumbs. (about a cup)

Method (In this order):

Break the eggs into a bowl, and beat well, adding the parmesan.

Peel and grate the potato on a box grater - large holes.

Put the grated potato into a clean cloth, and squeeze as much water as you possibly can, out of it.

(at this point, put the heat under a deep-fat fryer).

Add the squeeze-dried grated potato to the egg/cheese mix.

Add enough breadcrumbs to form a stiff-ish mixture.

BE CAREFUL: as the breadcrumbs absorb the egg, they soften and become firmer, more dense. So be cautious at first. Add, mix, wait.

You can always add a bit more to compensate.

OH:

DO NOT ADD ANY SEASONING!

Salt will simply draw more water out of the potatoes and make the mix soggy. (Guess how I found THAT out? :D )

The mix should be able to hold its shape, without either crumbling, or being too loose...

Take enough mix to form a small cylinder, about the size of a walnut.

Make as many as the mix will allow - probably between 12 - 16.

When they're all made, drop them gently into the hot fat, and fry, turning them, until they're a deep golden-brown. A shade lighter than a hazelnut....

Drain on kitchen paper.

Eat hot or cold.

The outside will be yummy-crisp, the inside still slightly firm and chewy.

I don't season them at all. The cheese is a good addition, and what you eat them with, adds the complementary flavours...

Eat with a nice green dressed salad, and a healthy portion of one of my pickles. Butternut, fennel, sauerkraut, spanish onion, carrot, cauliflower....

You're welcome!

(I made some this morning. It took me 20 minutes in all, and they're all gone, already!)

Oh, have I mentioned sweet potatoes? Seriously, baked sweet potatoes are da bomb. Not only are they higher in nutrients/fibre and lower in cals than regular potatoes, they're also flavourful so you can eat them without accompanying sauce.

I also like soft boiled eggs and slices of turkey breast.

And I agree with xxoo - yummy recipe TaraMaiden, but I'd view that as a luxury snack, not a 'healthy' snack. :laugh:

And I eat the same thing every day. That's important.

You eat the same thing every day?!?! What kind of life is that? :( Also, don't you eat with a partner/date or friends or family sometimes?

• Like 1
I eat the same thing for breakfast, snack, and lunch every day. It's efficient and budget-friendly. Dinner always varies.

Yeah, this I can understand (don't think I could do it myself, but I understand), or rotating on a weekly basis. But every single meal being the same every single day...

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1
Thanks VintageGirl, that's a pretty good idea. Get the busy work done one day and enjoy them all week. I do like salads. I had been known to buy the plastic-bowl all-in-one salad at the store for $3.99. I stopped because it's a friggin' rip-off!

Wonky eh? Britain, south Africa or Australia? :D

All American here!

While deep-fried potato and cheese naturally sounds delicious, I would exactly classify it as healthy snacking :lmao:

I didn't eat them all, so frankly, eating a half potato, one egg and a small portion of cheese can't be said to be 'over-doing' it.

It's a good balance of protein and carbs, to kick-start the day.

My daughter made them, substituting sweet potato (as Elswyth points out, VERY healthy!) and it was a roaring success with her family...