Does anyone ever deserve physical abuse?

Hi ThinkHappy. I'll admit I've only read chunks of this whole thread, but there are things I want to add.

First, you're both adults. Wouldn't you say by now that you're each responsible for your own behavior? If you sat your daughters down to discuss their school grades and one threw a book and broke a lamp, would you accept it if she said "You made me do it because you made me angry!"? I doubt that. In the same way, even if you make him angry he is still in control and responsible for the things he does or says. Before anything, you need to realize this - he is the only one responsible for his actions.

Second, the blocking the room thing. I have been in arguments where I have been physically blocked from leaving the room. It made me feel trapped, cornered, and controlled... but at no point did I ever feel that it gave me some right to push, slap, or otherwise react physically to the person blocking me, because it's NOT (unless, obvi, you are actually in danger, and I doubt you ever presented a danger to your husband). It's a bad idea to block someone like that, but again, HIS response is HIS alone.

Lastly, you can chat on here all you want but the reality is that nothing is going to change unless something changes in YOUR home. And the only one in control of that change, is you. That is why you're getting the tough love - we can argue semantics, analyze tiny details, nitpick bits out of your story, but WE can't do anything for you. If you don't like what's happening in your home then YOU need to make the decision to change it. You obviously can't change HIM, and the things you don't like are HIS doing, so do you roll over and accept it, or do you take action in the best interests of you and your children?