Unexplained arm and chest pain

• Author
Are you attention seeking? None of this should be diagnosed by lay people on the Internet. Get to a doctor ASAP.

-__-

almost didn't post because I felt fairly certain someone would get snarky.

I'm not expecting someone to diagnose me, but hoped for thoughts and opinions outside of my own and those of my family and closest friends, because clearly those thoughts will be biased.

I know that on a forum like this there will be a lot of people who have seen an experienced more things than I have.

I'm often overly anxious, and prone to worrying, so in a case where I might be worrying over nothing, I'd like people to tell me that. I've been going back and forth on whether or not it would be worth it to go to the ER, whether it is serious enough or not.

The thoughts and opinions people have posted here have actually been helpful to me. It's actually eased the mental strain I've had over what to do with this predicament.

• Like 5
loveweary11
Its just one ingredient but its different than Advil (Ibuprofen) or Tylenol (Acetominophen.)

Try soaking in an epsom salt bath?

The ED today may not even be that bad. Most likely all the chaos that was going to happen has already happened last night and earlier today.

Asprin is simply salicylic acid (same as in topical skin products). It's from willow bark originally.

Baby size isn't necessary.

However, it's better than ibuprofen in possible vascular situations.

• Like 1
Are you attention seeking? None of this should be diagnosed by lay people on the Internet.

While I agree getting diagnoses on the internet is not a good strategy, the "attention seeking" comment is not fair.

I understand the dilemma though. There are many possibilities. The $900 is going to seem cheap if the doctors find something serious. And it's going to feel like $1million if they say it's nothing. Doesn't strike me as nothing, though. I have no advice to offer that won't cost either a cheap or an expensive $900. Get it checked out and then maybe look into getting better health insurance.

• Like 6
  • Author
While I agree getting diagnoses on the internet is not a good strategy, the "attention seeking" comment is not fair.

I understand the dilemma though. There are many possibilities. The $900 is going to seem cheap if the doctors find something serious. And it's going to feel like $1million if they say it's nothing. Doesn't strike me as nothing, though. I have no advice to offer that won't cost either a cheap or an expensive $900. Get it checked out and then maybe look into getting better health insurance.

Yes, you get it! I hate to pay $900 to find out it's a silly muscle strain. But wouldn't bat an eye at that if it turned out to be a blood clot or other kind of vascular blockage.

The more I weigh it back and forth though, I'm deciding I have to take that $900 gamble. There's no getting around that.

• Like 5
Yes, you get it! I hate to pay $900 to find out it's a silly muscle strain. But wouldn't bat an eye at that if it turned out to be a blood clot or other kind of vascular blockage.

The more I weigh it back and forth though, I'm deciding I have to take that $900 gamble. There's no getting around that.

At this point, the gamble is not just the $900. Blood clots/vascular problems like you describe should be treated this minute. Not tomorrow.

• Like 1
Methodical

Phoe,

You have many friends here who love you and know you aren't seeking attention. As you can tell from the majority of posts, everyone is concerned about your well being and none of us want you to procrastinate bc time isn't always on your side. I agree that getting opinions from unbiased sources are helpful bc typically there is no vested interest. Ahem, honestly tho, I think many us ARE biased (:love:) bc we do care. Get checked out and update us ;).

• Like 5

Phoe,

Get a bottle of plain old Beyer aspirin and keep it with you. Must be aspirin.

Take one as soon as you get them. Unless you are allergic to aspirin.

Keep with you until you go to doctor. If you have a bad pain, take one. Should you feel close to passing out, have someone give you one and get to the hospital immediately.

My mother had heart problems young, and undiagnosed heart/vascular issues are a big female health issue. Aspirin can be a life saver unless you are allergic.

Phoe, it could be a muscle issue (don't you lift some), or as simple as a bug bite and nothing to worry about, but please be vigilant of your health. Many people here care about you.

• Like 2
sweetjasmine

I'm sure the ER is swamped with post Independence Day drunken/firework accident stuff right now... I want to wait it out until tomorrow. And partly just want to wait one more day just to see if maybe it gets better.

Even if they're swamped, it doesn't matter. If a medical professional thinks your symptoms are worse than the drunk guy's symptoms from stepping on a rusty nail, you will be seen before him.

Go to the ER ASAP. This is not the kind of thing to mess around with. I have a permanently enlarged axillary lymph node from a vaccine reaction I had when I was an infant and have never had any symptoms remotely like anything you're describing. You really need to get checked out by a doctor as soon as you can.

• Like 4
whichwayisup
-__-

almost didn't post because I felt fairly certain someone would get snarky.

I'm not expecting someone to diagnose me, but hoped for thoughts and opinions outside of my own and those of my family and closest friends, because clearly those thoughts will be biased.

I know that on a forum like this there will be a lot of people who have seen an experienced more things than I have.

I'm often overly anxious, and prone to worrying, so in a case where I might be worrying over nothing, I'd like people to tell me that. I've been going back and forth on whether or not it would be worth it to go to the ER, whether it is serious enough or not.

The thoughts and opinions people have posted here have actually been helpful to me. It's actually eased the mental strain I've had over what to do with this predicament.

My motto is, better to be safe than sorry.

I hope next update will be you telling us what happened when you went to the ER! :);) Your life is worth it so get your cute ass to a Dr! Hmm, maybe you'll have a hot Doc!

• Like 2
Phoe,

You have many friends here who love you and know you aren't seeking attention. As you can tell from the majority of posts, everyone is concerned about your well being and none of us want you to procrastinate bc time isn't always on your side. I agree that getting opinions from unbiased sources are helpful bc typically there is no vested interest. Ahem, honestly tho, I think many us ARE biased (:love:) bc we do care. Get checked out and update us ;).

How are you feeling today Phoe?

Hope you're doing better...

If there hasn't been improvement, time to see a doc.

Are you sleeping ok?

Have you had your blood pressure monitored?

Please keep us in the loop.

whirl3daway

Is there a temperature difference in the swollen area? Like, is it warmer than the other areas near it but feels cold on the inside? I got a blood clot in my leg after I had surgery last year and the first thing I noticed is that there was a big color difference and a temperature difference. It was fairly disgusting.

Go to government funded hospital. Over here it's Ben tob. I don't know what it is in California, but there should be one for people who don't have money.

• Author

Sorry I don't have much of an update guys... haven't gone anywhere yet.

My mom has changed her opinion and thinks I should try looking at other options before going to the hospital.

Right now my truck is in the shop so I can't go anywhere, BUT... the bright side is that the mechanic called and said the part I need is under warranty, so if after replacing that and retesting, the problem is fixed, it'll be free. So I won't have to worry about a mechanic bill along with a medical bill.

I'm actually leaning away from blood clot at this point. The swelling in my underarm has increased and started spreading a bit, and I'm fairly convinced it's lymph nodes. I'm guessing I'll go the hospital and pay an outrageous price to be given antibiotics.

Jay - I will take a look at that right now.

whichwayisup

Since you refuse to go to the hospital, then GO to your family Dr and get him/her to check this out. If this is serious enough, your Dr will order you to get to the hospital.

MidwestUSA

Lymph node swelling can be a sign of something more complicated than a bug that just requires antibiotics. Like lymphoma.

Stop worrying about the truck and get to the hospital. The financial part will work itself out later, it really will. Good luck.

• Author
Since you refuse to go to the hospital, then GO to your family Dr and get him/her to check this out. If this is serious enough, your Dr will order you to get to the hospital.

I haven't got a family doctor, because I've got no insurance. My insurance coverage ended June 1st.

Even when I did have a family doctor, it was a struggle to be seen. When I tore a ligament in my ankle last year, it took 4 months to finally be seen by my doctor, for a 10 minute appointment.

• Like 1
Arieswoman

Can I just add my voice to all those others who have suggested you go to the ER? :)

• Like 1
MidwestUSA
Can I just add my voice to all those others who have suggested you go to the ER? :)

I'm going to double voice it.

Phoe, I just reread your description. "Cutting off circulation in the right side of your chest". It would have to be something really big to accomplish this. I'd rule out a blood clot (as you'd be dead by now). I'm not sure about the bulging veins. We have collateral circulation to circumvent that problem.

I've had an entire string of axillary lymph nodes hugely swollen without any of the effects you're describing. Not saying this is the most likely in your case, but the only things I've personally seen that would cause this are huge tumors. Again, not offering a diagnosis, just reiterating that the ER should be your goal. Now. Even if we're talking about a case of cellulitis, and you say you'd rather cut your arm off, well, that decision may be taken from you.

Go. Now. Please?

• Like 2
CrystalCastles

Get your butt to the ER now.

I am no doctor but the stuff you described sounds really bad.

I googled "swelling in arm and armpit". Most results are talking about "lymphedema". My dad has swollen lymph nodes a few years ago and turns out it was cancer.

I am not trying to scare you. But if whatever you have is life threatening, you need to forget about the 900$ and go. Don't wait. Because if this becomes worse because you waited, its going to cost a lot more than 900$. Not to mention the damage to your health.

I hope you've taken all the advice you've been given and gone to the ER by now.

That being said IMO someone being forced to triage themselves and decide whether or not to call emergency services based on how much $$ they have is just bloody ****ed up. Isn't there ANY funded option at all?

loveweary11
I hope you've taken all the advice you've been given and gone to the ER by now.

That being said IMO someone being forced to triage themselves and decide whether or not to call emergency services based on how much $$ they have is just bloody ****ed up. Isn't there ANY funded option at all?

Welcome to American culture. The strong become billionaires, the less strong are left to die. Literally.

Hopefully, Phoe is ok, but I'm serious about kicking in on her medical expenses. I'll do it. We could do a gofundme as well, so everyone can pitch in if she needs it.

I recall her posting her budget once. So humble and sweet, so down to earth. If anyone deserves a little financial boost, it's her, even if she doesn't feel comfortable taking it. :p

• Like 1
whichwayisup
I haven't got a family doctor, because I've got no insurance. My insurance coverage ended June 1st.

Even when I did have a family doctor, it was a struggle to be seen. When I tore a ligament in my ankle last year, it took 4 months to finally be seen by my doctor, for a 10 minute appointment.

Are there walk in clinics so you can see a Dr?

You need to borrow money from a family member or a trusted friend and put your health first, make it a priority. Your friend offered to drive you, so take him/her up on that.

It would be really awful if whatever is going on is bad/gets worse and you waited too long to go.... Sorry to scare you but just GO to the ER. If there's fear, isn't it better to know what you're up against instead of guessing and asking us all on here what could be going on inside your body?

loveweary11

This. So true.

I've had to be the doctor so many times for my self and my ex, it's crazy.

Thankfully, I do have reasonable basic medical training for being at sea. Who would imagine you'd need it juyst because there are no appointments available for weeks. Very common though.