How many of you think that this body type & weight is attractive AND healthy?

Photoshop can make an overweight woman look far more toned than she actually is, and it can also eliminate the bony, sinewy look of a very underweight woman...so I don't really pay much attention to pictures any more. If I want motivation, I'll look at somebody in the gym who is in really good shape. That tells you more about what's healthy and realistic.

That's it. Strong is the 'new skinny' as they say. ie that's what to aspire to. Be strong, be fit. That's all that matters.

SycamoreCircle

I prefer thicker women. I like hips, butts and breasts. It's no fun being with someone who eats like a bird or obsesses over their weight. It absolutely ties into personality. A woman preoccupied with her body has no time to think about...ideas. I feel sorry for women that leaf through these magazines which are just picture after picture of slender models. I've been in the presence of Victoria Secret model Gisele Bundchen. Meant nothing to me. I'd prefer to fantasize about a girl I see at the grocery store. The representation of women in ad culture is illusion.

Edited by SycamoreCircle
Rejected Rosebud

I think Kelly Brooks is a regular bombshell and not in the same category as Ashley Graham who is actually kind of overweight looking but still I think she is good to look at, that is the point I think, that a person like that can still feel good about her body and not be automatically dismissed because she is not whatever is supposed to be perfect!! :bunny::bunny:

• Like 1
empresario

This is a tough topic...

I consider myself a "live and let live" type of guy. But the whole obesity thing is getting out of line.

Where I live, it's exceptionally bad. I came from an area that was predominantly tall and thin. I moved to an area that is mostly short and stocky. Now I just feel like Gumby.

Never been attracted to the big girls. I don't mind people that are...it's just not my style. And it's not even about the weight; it's about the dedication to a healthy lifestyle.

There is something to be said about a girl that has a tiny waste and great proportions, but that body is a unicorn. That body starts with genetics, is formed through early activity and toning, and maintained through college when other girls start to explode. That's why perfection is rare, and often times when you get it it's not as good as you'd hope. The little imperfections are what make you love someone. You lust a magazine cover. Magazine covers have no character.

At the end of the day, there is just a lot to looking ideal. Shoot, I have been planning nutritionally perfect meals and exercising for 5 years like a machine...and I only managed to gain 20 lbs of lean weight. 10 of which I lose during a bad breakup after a few days. So I get it's hard. I just hate that people are being told these days not to try.

And yes, there's only so much you can do with genetics. Especially if you age before you try. However, I do believe for 90% of people their goals are achievable. They just need to bite off easy to chew pieces (both metaphorically and literally). You can't expect progress day, month, year 1, and you can't make every lifestyle change right away.

• Like 2
stillafool
Just remembered a specific personal example: I was in our head office at my previous job (last year, I think) where a larger lady kept making comments on my appearance, how apparently I didn't eat enough. What stopped me saying anything (only along the lines of 'if I made similar judgements about your weight, you would burst into tears') was that my team mate was there too whom I love dearly and she is pretty big. I didn't want to make her feel bad about herself and she looked embarrassed on behalf of the other colleague, by the way.

So yeah, there are plenty of larger malicious people out there who can't handle that not everyone has the same problems and instead of bettering themselves, they try to make the rest of us feel bad.

I completely agree. I've had women say "why don't you eat more" when I eat like a field hand or "my gawd, you are soooo skinny". I would never, ever say to an overweight person "my gawd, you are sooooo fat" or "why don't you eat less". It isn't my business and it would be rude but for some reason overweight women feel it is okay to bash thin women as if we deserve it for being naturally thin.

• Like 4
ascendotum
I completely agree. I've had women say "why don't you eat more" when I eat like a field hand or "my gawd, you are soooo skinny". I would never, ever say to an overweight person "my gawd, you are sooooo fat" or "why don't you eat less". It isn't my business and it would be rude but for some reason overweight women feel it is okay to bash thin women as if we deserve it for being naturally thin.

there is an element of that when those comments come from women, and it would surprise me if 80% of the time they do. I have no doubt an overweight women feel more comfortable about it when many others around them are. I read that over weight people tend to have overweight best friends, and you being so skinny are outside the norm and they want you to fit in. There is definitely a double standard there though.

I've found there may be some distortion effect going on too based on their own & friends weight in some of the conversations Ive heard where slim women (to me) are called skrawny/skinny/anorexic by them and it does not seem to come from a point of nastiness, but some deep seated resentment could be going on. Some beefy guys I find call slim girls scrawny or tell them they need to eat a burger. Asa guy who's been skinny Ive gottten the same comments (usually beefy guys, petite girls or older women) and it never annoyed me except when they keep on harping I never ate enough.

• Like 1

Do you think that Ashley Graham's body type and weight is attractive and healthy looking? If so, why? If not, why not?

Fat shaming gets way too much media coverage. Everyone gets shamed in one way or another.

Skinny guys are told they need muscles, short guys are told they need to be taller, taller girls are told they need to be shorter, the list is endless.

I doubt she would have much trouble finding an average guy. The second girl is attractive to almost every man on the planet though.

The thing that makes fat shaming much less brutal is that losing weight is possible. Growing taller and getting shorter are far worse things to be shamed for.

• Like 2
It isn't my business and it would be rude but for some reason overweight women feel it is okay to bash thin women as if we deserve it for being naturally thin.

My sister is thin and it happens to her all the time. The number of mean, jealous, overweight women that say horrible things to her about her weight is shocking.

• Like 2

Reminds me of Ingres, Reclining Venus and Titian’s Venus and Adonis and Violante. (etc, etc....) I'm not going to link them because they might be against the rules? haha

She could stand to lose a few pounds, but that doesn't mean she still isn't beautiful. She's got great skin, hair, butt, etc. In the general formula for computing a woman's attractiveness, white Americans tend to assign a tremendous weight to weight, so much that it seems a small belly can utterly sink a woman's 'score' in people's eyes.

• Like 1
What I want to know is why do these subjects only come up in regards to women's bodies? Why do so many people rush out to defend the lifestyle choices of overweight women, but not overweight men? Where are all the photoshopped pics of Kevin James so fat guys feel better about their bodies?

Because men in general are still expected to be ripped, even by the most radical FA activist?

One of the rare 'successes' that I had on POF was a larger lady messaging me to compliment me on my body. The conversation went as follows:

Her: "Hi, I can tell that you work out"

Me: "Thanks, are you into muscular men, then?"

Her: "Men SHOULD have muscles"

Me: "They should? And what shape do you think women 'should' be in?"

Conversation ended.

Not forgetting the POF profile that I quoted last week in which a morbidly obese woman straight up demanded "I know that I'm fat, but fellas you'd better be in shape or have muscles because the thought of two fat people having sex repulses me."

If you look at any 'Love comes in all sizes/all shapes and sizes' type meme - it is ALWAYS an overweight woman depicted with a hot, athletic guy. Never the other way around and NEVER two overweight people.

Even on here, you'll see many threads where men having trouble getting a date are advised by both men and women to smarten up, lose weight, get better clothes etc. but an overweight woman in exactly the same position is told to stay as she is and men are derided as shallow misogynists for not seeing her beauty.

Double standards. Double standards everywhere.

By the way, there is a Protein World ad out there depicting a topless man with six-pack abs. Not a word has been said about it..........

• Like 4
loveweary11
What I want to know is why do these subjects only come up in regards to women's bodies? Why do so many people rush out to defend the lifestyle choices of overweight women, but not overweight men? Where are all the photoshopped pics of Kevin James so fat guys feel better about their bodies?

I'd like to see a thread on that. "Does this fat guy look handsome?" Or something along those lines.

Enigma makes a great point.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear
Because men in general are still expected to be ripped, even by the most radical FA activist?

One of the rare 'successes' that I had on POF was a larger lady messaging me to compliment me on my body. The conversation went as follows:

Her: "Hi, I can tell that you work out"

Me: "Thanks, are you into muscular men, then?"

Her: "Men SHOULD have muscles"

Me: "They should? And what shape do you think women 'should' be in?"

Conversation ended.

Not forgetting the POF profile that I quoted last week in which a morbidly obese woman straight up demanded "I know that I'm fat, but fellas you'd better be in shape or have muscles because the thought of two fat people having sex repulses me."

If you look at any 'Love comes in all sizes/all shapes and sizes' type meme - it is ALWAYS an overweight woman depicted with a hot, athletic guy. Never the other way around and NEVER two overweight people.

Even on here, you'll see many threads where men having trouble getting a date are advised by both men and women to smarten up, lose weight, get better clothes etc. but an overweight woman in exactly the same position is told to stay as she is and men are derided as shallow misogynists for not seeing her beauty.

Double standards. Double standards everywhere.....

I dunno, guys....

I'm not sure the double standard applies...

I just don't think it's as much of a big deal for women as it is for men...Women are and have always been judged for their bodies....by BOTH men and women..Fat guys are often viewed in a playful and fun way, while heavy women are seen as lazy lumps that cant put down the Dorito's...

I don't see fat guys getting shamed nearly as much as fat women..In fact, I find that most women really don't care much for the "big and ripped" guy...Ill even go as far to say that a lot of women would rather a chubby or skinny guy with a nice face to a big and ripped guy with an average mug..For me its never been about getting women, so I dont care, but its real..

Understand, I am saying this as a lifelong gym guy...Been big and lean my entire life..Sure, its better than being fat, but I can tell you, other than novelty and some shallow muscle-head groupie women., most women dont make that big a deal about it...It's a luxury to them as opposed to a necessity...

Quite frankly, I have often been quite shocked at the absolutely stunning women who were madly in love with guys that if I were them, Id never go out in public..They were either so skinny or so out of shape, that I wondered how could they possibly view those guys in a sexual way...but they do...every day of the week..

A great part of a woman's worth(to men) is how she looks...Might be shallow to say this, but thats how life is...Men, sometimes in spite of their appearance, are often highly valued for traits such as confidence, success, loyalty, hard working. etc....Think of how many women that, if they were ugly/fat, but had those same qualities would still be desirable?? Not many...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 3
MidwestUSA
That's the thing....and not even professional pictures. I remember being round

Take this in the spirit intended, Taramere, but this line jumped out at me.

Remember, round IS a shape! :)

• Like 1

Fat guys already feel fine about their bodies. That's why no one photoshops Kevin James. His body is accepted as is by mainstream media, advertisers, and media consumers.

Also, society doesn't put as much focus or critique on men's body shape as it does women's.

• Like 3
Fat guys already feel fine about their bodies. That's why no one photoshops Kevin James. His body is accepted as is by mainstream media, advertisers, and media consumers.

Also, society doesn't put as much focus or critique on men's body shape as it does women's.

Have you not seen the recent upsurge in steroid use among guys - especially younger guys? You'd be surprised at the pressure that men feel these days. The boot is starting to be worn on both feet now, the imagery of the recent Marvel/superhero films with their musclebound hunks, UFC fighters/athletes etc. is certainly having an impression on the average guy.

Agreed, there isn't as MUCH emphasis on looks for men as there is for women but believe me the pressures are there!

• Like 1

Just because men don't create internet memes about how women should be attracted to "curvy" men, does not mean men don't feel pressure to look better. Even those so-called curvy women never seem to want a fat guy.

Men don't have to create the memes. They have Dad Bod to make them feel better!

'Dad Bod' Is a Sexist Atrocity

And I, for one, think Dad Bod is really hot a lot of the time.

• Like 2

I hope you donate your brain to science. You think so differently from every other woman I know.

On second examination, I still think the girl is chubby and would look better if she lost a few.

Imajerk17

This is an interesting thread. Thing is though, there is what people (individuals) like and then there is what the media *says* people should like. These standards are quite different.

Plenty of men have loved thicker women--even those who are slightly more endomorphic--*long* before the "Curvy Girl Revolution" that just took

place. [Lest this be a post "thin-shaming" anyone, plenty of men love slender women too.] Most guys never got the emaciated look that the fashion media seemed to love for women (sorry).

And plenty of women have loved "dad bod" guys long before that term became viral. Makes all the sense in the world really-- a guy should be strong, a doer, and not vain about his appearance. Women never got behind the Metrosexual look.

Most men will never feel the pressure to look good as most women do. Standards for a man as far as appearance goes are far more lenient than those for a woman, but that is because we are expected to be the doers in the dating game. What makes or breaks us is how we take action.

• Like 4
empresario
This is an interesting thread. Thing is though, there is what people (individuals) like and then there is what the media *says* people should like. These standards are quite different.

Plenty of men have loved thicker women--even those who are slightly more endomorphic--*long* before the "Curvy Girl Revolution" that just took

place. [Lest this be a post "thin-shaming" anyone, plenty of men love slender women too.] Most guys never got the emaciated look that the fashion media seemed to love for women (sorry).

And plenty of women have loved "dad bod" guys long before that term became viral. Makes all the sense in the world really-- a guy should be strong, a doer, and not vain about his appearance. Women never got behind the Metrosexual look.

Most men will never feel the pressure to look good as most women do. Standards for a man as far as appearance goes are far more lenient than those for a woman, but that is because we are expected to be the doers in the dating game. What makes or breaks us is how we take action.

I nearly agree with all of this. I will make one slight modification. WOMEN never got behind the whole metrosexual look. Vain females most definitely have. Every sex symbol given to females...especially young ones, have more effeminate characteristics than masculine.

I will say that this thread is the first time I have heard of this term "dad bod".... *shrug*'

• Like 7
Men don't have to create the memes. They have Dad Bod to make them feel better!

'Dad Bod' Is a Sexist Atrocity

I also think a little thickness and pudge is attractive in men, too. I've actually wished for my husband to gain some weight. I know this is horrible- but it makes me self conscious next to him, because he is skinny. He is 6 feet and 185, not a skeleton or anything, he is quite strong- but in some photos, I look like I'm wider than him. His arms are a little thinner than mine. And I HATE it. :(

(I've been covertly doing things like buying him chocolate and peanut trail mix and beef jerky and all kinds of protein snacks that he can take in his work vehicle during the day, and I get annoyed when he skips lunch because he can't stop working.)

Edited by bebe23
  • Like 1
I will say that this thread is the first time I have heard of this term "dad bod".... *shrug*'

I just heard it for the first time the other day, but I like it! The term, and the bod :p

I like built guys, ripped guys, and chubby guys. I'm a heterosexual woman, and I'm attracted to men :bunny: If I'm attracted to the man, I'm attracted to his body.

Similarly, heterosexual men are attracted to women. Usually not just one body type of woman, but a range. Men like women's bodies :)

• Like 1
I just heard it for the first time the other day, but I like it! The term, and the bod :p

I like built guys, ripped guys, and chubby guys. I'm a heterosexual woman, and I'm attracted to men :bunny: If I'm attracted to the man, I'm attracted to his body.

Similarly, heterosexual men are attracted to women. Usually not just one body type of woman, but a range. Men like women's bodies :)

I've always felt fairly similar. I'm simply attracted to men! Not a particular kind of body. I've never had a "type".

• Like 1

I was with a blonde about the same build as the full figured model, except the blonde had probably 3-4 times bigger boobs. I thought she was fine but I can't imagine going any heavier.