The Duggar Family is so Inspirational!!

It's the systematic coverups that make my blood boil. These child molesters seem to operate in an "old boy's club" mentality that is just sickening, and very often includes people in power to keep things buried. It isn't limited to religious groups, either.

Yeah, far from being limited to religious groups. In the UK, we've had a lot of scandal relating to people in showbiz and also some politicians.

• Like 2
autumnnight

I have been annoyed by some of my FB friends who keep putting up articles about forgiveness and how the media is victimizing the girls again and how we shouldn't judge Josh. It's like because this is a Christian family all Christians are supposed to clamor to defend them in the name of some sort of solidarity. I asked one of them if they would be so understanding if it had been a Kardashian or Justin Beiber.

Crickets

• Like 4
pureinheart
I have been annoyed by some of my FB friends who keep putting up articles about forgiveness and how the media is victimizing the girls again and how we shouldn't judge Josh. It's like because this is a Christian family all Christians are supposed to clamor to defend them in the name of some sort of solidarity. I asked one of them if they would be so understanding if it had been a Kardashian or Justin Beiber.

Crickets

*walking lightly here as to not offend you*... Biblically speaking I think we loose the right to judge/condemn another's actions at the point they confess, of which Josh did ... the courts have made their determinations, and I realize some may not agree. Josh was repentant as far as we know.

*walking lightly here as to not offend you*... Biblically speaking I think we loose the right to judge/condemn another's actions at the point they confess, of which Josh did ... the courts have made their determinations, and I realize some may not agree. Josh was repentant as far as we know.

I think this is important, although I wouldn't agree that the family really should have been in the limelight the way they were. I'm sure the money (I assume a lot of money) was very tempting, but they also should have known this was coming. I'm sure it's very painful for them and embarrassing. But whose dignity isn't up for sale if the price is right?

I never saw a single show, but I think many people are annoyed that they were led to believe this family is something that it isn't. I think it's the nature of reality TV that people are made to enjoy the facade and rarely know the truth.

• Like 1
pureinheart
6. Some would point out that ISIS was the spawn of misguided US "conservative" right-wing policies enacted by another "beautiful family who hold Christian values dear". It's worth wondering whether ISIS is really the problem we should be addressing. The last thing we need is President Duggar trying to take out his sexual frustrations on Russia or China, so it's possible we're in the process of dodging a bullet with all this scandal.

Could this be directed at me:eek:

I know you won't agree with this, although all we really know is what we hear in the news or other sources- we are NOT there and cannot possibly have all of the facts.

For instance- I had no idea that Josh was even involved with molestations when originally posting. Found out about it from my daughter seeing it on FB and reading Pie's article. Would I have posted the two comments you so very nicely threw in my face had I known? Probably not. Does it change how I view Josh or the Duggers? Yes. I believe it's a stigma that will never leave that family now, as they will be judged and chastised to death I would imagine.

I think people who believe everything they hear in the media so choose to, due to deep-rooted hate. It reinforces their belief that all *insert whatever* is inherently 'bad' or 'evil'. Right now the 'hate list' appears to be Christians and cops.

• Like 1
Could this be directed at me:eek:

I know you won't agree with this, although all we really know is what we hear in the news or other sources- we are NOT there and cannot possibly have all of the facts.

For instance- I had no idea that Josh was even involved with molestations when originally posting. Found out about it from my daughter seeing it on FB and reading Pie's article. Would I have posted the two comments you so very nicely threw in my face had I known? Probably not. Does it change how I view Josh or the Duggers? Yes. I believe it's a stigma that will never leave that family now, as they will be judged and chastised to death I would imagine.

I think people who believe everything they hear in the media so choose to, due to deep-rooted hate. It reinforces their belief that all *insert whatever* is inherently 'bad' or 'evil'. Right now the 'hate list' appears to be Christians and cops.

There's a very vocal and loud minority against the cops who usually do a fine job. As for religious discrimination, it depends where. I have seen mocking if religious people in San Fran but have seen mocking of non religious people in Kansas. Molestation is very serious and those people who tried to minimize it are shameful.

• Like 2
pureinheart
I think this is important, although I wouldn't agree that the family really should have been in the limelight the way they were. I'm sure the money (I assume a lot of money) was very tempting, but they also should have known this was coming. I'm sure it's very painful for them and embarrassing. But whose dignity isn't up for sale if the price is right?

I never saw a single show, but I think many people are annoyed that they were led to believe this family is something that it isn't. I think it's the nature of reality TV that people are made to enjoy the facade and rarely know the truth.

Quite frankly, given this information, I would not have wanted to be in the limelight. We cannot run from the 'skeletons' now.

Thank you for this rational post BTW... it's a very nice post.

You know, I have never taken reality tv very serious. You're right, many do unfortunately. These people become 'family members', per se, as weird as that may sound... there is an emotional investment that I feel also, but reality takes over along with reason and I realize all of these people are human.

• Like 1
pureinheart
There's a very vocal and loud minority against the cops who usually do a fine job. As for religious discrimination, it depends where. I have seen mocking if religious people in San Fran but have seen mocking of non religious people in Kansas. Molestation is very serious and those people who tried to minimize it are shameful.

Interesting you bring this up. There is a movement right now meant to change the thinking where society is concerned. It's disgusting.

Crickets

:lmao: That is hilarious! Good for you. I swear, Christians are so holier-than-thou about the Duggars and Josh Duggar it makes me :sick:! Take away their religious ideology and you have 2 parents of 19 kids who lied TO POLICE !!! and covered up their son's sexual molestation of his own sisters.

Now the Duggars are HIDING behind their religion and trying to use it as a buffer between themselves and public scrutiny. Give me a break. :mad:

Just because you believe in God doesn't exempt you from the law.

• Like 2
Interesting you bring this up. There is a movement right now meant to change the thinking where society is concerned. It's disgusting.

Why he wasn't prosecuted disgusts me.

Why he wasn't prosecuted disgusts me.

The Duggars made sure that Josh wasn't prosecuted probably to avoid what's happening now (public scrutiny, and the cancellation of their reality tv show).

I just don't understand how people (especially religious people) can be so dismissive of the fact that the Duggars avoided the law and lied to police when Josh was charged with sexual assault in the fourth degree. Since when did being a devout Christian make one exempt from obeying the law? And Josh Duggar thinks posting a video apology and having a judge destroy his police record will justify what he did? How those people can live with themselves knowing what they covered up...

• Like 1
Mr Scorpio

Which movement might this be?

I hope someone in the media is digging into the connection between the church leaders and that dirty state trooper....

for those of you who have kids.. what exactly would you do if your son was touching you daughter? let's say - for simplicity - that your kids are 2 years apart and you've just got the 2 kids. they are both your children. and let's say it only happened a handful of times when your son was 14 and your daughter 12. do you cart your son off to jail so that your daughter is "free" from her attacker? how excatly do you resolve a situation like that? it's not ongoing, but you want to protect your daughter and also help your son. what steps do you take? a lot of people are saying he should have been taken to jail or whatever, but i bet none of you would haul your kid off to jail either. it's easy to say but not so easy to do and as a family you;d probably try to resolve it within the family first.

• Like 3
Michelle ma Belle
for those of you who have kids.. what exactly would you do if your son was touching you daughter? let's say - for simplicity - that your kids are 2 years apart and you've just got the 2 kids. they are both your children. and let's say it only happened a handful of times when your son was 14 and your daughter 12. do you cart your son off to jail so that your daughter is "free" from her attacker? how excatly do you resolve a situation like that? it's not ongoing, but you want to protect your daughter and also help your son. what steps do you take? a lot of people are saying he should have been taken to jail or whatever, but i bet none of you would haul your kid off to jail either. it's easy to say but not so easy to do and as a family you;d probably try to resolve it within the family first.

Fine. But they CHOSE to do that whilst continuing to make a reality TV show pontificating their very conservative beliefs and values and were very active in several political and social organizations pushing the same conservative right-winged agenda.

THAT is irony. THAT is hypocrisy.

And how do you know it never happened again? Don't believe everything you read.

And once again, what about the victims? I think people need to stop for one moment and think about the victims for heaven's sake. Whatever Josh went through or is going through is NOTHING compared to what his victims will have to deal with for the rest of their lives. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

This isn't just about him touching the cute girl with blonde hair down the street, these were his SISTERS.

• Like 4
Fine. But they CHOSE to do that whilst continuing to make a reality TV show pontificating their very conservative beliefs and values and were very active in several political and social organizations pushing the same conservative right-winged agenda.

And once again, what about the victims? I think people need to stop for one moment and think about the victims for heaven's sake. Whatever Josh went through or is going through is NOTHING compared to what his victims will have to deal with for the rest of their lives. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

This isn't just about him touching the cute girl with blonde hair down the street, these were his SISTERS.

+1! Totally agree!

well, i was actually asking a legitimate question of people who have kids. what would they do. you didn't answer, so your response isn't helpful. if the daughters are victims, how do you remove your own child - a son - from them? assuming it only happened a handful of times and wasn't ongoing for years or anything. what course of action would a parent realistically take? not many parents are going to call the cops on their 14 year old child and have him hauled into jail. people are very quick to say he's a pedophile, take him off to jail, etc. but what parent is going to label their own kid that if the situation presented itself to them.

autumnnight

Oh, I agree that we are not the judges of the consequences of his behvior. And I agree that I John 1:9 applies to everybody. The thing some of my friends are doing is defending his actions AND hsaming those who are upset by his actions.

As for the court...the reason that the court did not get involved was because of the illegal actions of that officer. I do hope he faces some consequences. It is never okay to cover up a crime.

I do not believe God is "done" with osh. I do believe this is and example of the verse: Be sure your sins will find you out.

autumnnight

I would get the child REAL counseling. I would watch and monitor closely - not just for a few months but until they reached adulthood. And I would NOT, if law enforcement got involved, expect them to cover it up. Oh, and I wouldn't be dumb enough to become a celebrity.

• Like 4
Mr Scorpio

Technically speaking, the "incident" occurred in 2003 and the show began in 2008. So, the cover-up and pontificating weren't concurrent, for whatever that is worth.

Admittedly, they hold some conservative values in regard to how they raise their children. No shorts, no skirts above the knee, no non-chaperoned dates, etc. But if they believe those policies are best for their family's well-being, are they hypocrites for simply staying the course?

Hell if I know if raising kids that way would work. Maybe they would rebel and turn out even worse. I'm no parent so I won't speculate. But still, what were they to do regarding their agenda?

Let us take the hypothetical example of parents who always insisted that their children never drink alcohol, abuse prescription drugs, etc. Lets say one of their kids dies at age 19 while driving drunk. Would those parents be hypocrites if they spoke out about the dangers of drunk driving?

Or, as it relates to Duggar himself, is it hypocritical for a prison inmate to shout at kids about staying out of trouble during a "scared straight" program?

• Like 1
amaysngrace
if the daughters are victims, how do you remove your own child - a son - from them? assuming it only happened a handful of times and wasn't ongoing for years or anything. what course of action would a parent realistically take?

A psych hospital and then off to military school. That's where my kid would have gone and my girls would have gotten ongoing counseling so that they could feel safe is what I would have done.

• Like 4
Michelle ma Belle
I would get the child REAL counseling. I would watch and monitor closely - not just for a few months but until they reached adulthood. And I would NOT, if law enforcement got involved, expect them to cover it up. Oh, and I wouldn't be dumb enough to become a celebrity.

I second this.

And I'm willing bet this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the Duggars.

Edited by Michelle ma Belle
  • Like 5
well, i was actually asking a legitimate question of people who have kids. what would they do. you didn't answer, so your response isn't helpful. if the daughters are victims, how do you remove your own child - a son - from them? assuming it only happened a handful of times and wasn't ongoing for years or anything. what course of action would a parent realistically take? not many parents are going to call the cops on their 14 year old child and have him hauled into jail. people are very quick to say he's a pedophile, take him off to jail, etc. but what parent is going to label their own kid that if the situation presented itself to them.

Although I'm not currently a parent, I know what I would do in that hypothetical situation. It's pretty obvious from my posts what I would do. I'd have the teen removed to juvenile detention and get counseling for the sibling who was molested. It's not unheard of for parents to do when they have juvenile sex offenders for children. I would not just give the teenager "counseling" and let him back in my home. No way. But that's my personal preference. If one of my children abused his/her sibling, I wouldn't trust having that child back in my own home.

There are actual "parent guides" to help parents through such a process when juvenile sex abuse occurs in their home. There are National Abuse Hotlines that parents can call.

There are countless resources to help parents in the situation that the Duggars found themselves in, back in 2002 with their son Josh Duggar. But they chose the WRONG way to handle the problem. That is clear.

Understanding What Sibling Abuse Is

Sibling Sexual Abuse - A Parents Guide (opd 1996) - Sasian

Sibling Abuse: Your Child: University of Michigan Health System

pureinheart
Which movement might this be?

I'll look it up this evening, meant to look it up prior, but was really tired. It's a liberal movement or group attempting to minimize pedophiles.

There are legitimate resources available for parents in the Duggars' situation. There is a National Abuse Hotline, and there are parent booklets available for parents online about how to detect and then handle sibling sexual abuse.

There is no way I'd allow my child back into my home if he/she molested a sibling. If the police got involved (and they would, on my part because I would report it!), then I would pretty much estrange myself from my teenager who was old enough to know better but chose to destroy his/her sibling's life by molesting them. I would never want to see or speak to them again.

I am 100% intolerant of any kind of abuse, especially sexual abuse. As a parent, the abuser would be carted off to juvenile detention and would receive counseling. And I would definitely get counseling for the child who was victimized.

• Like 2