I have an extreme phobia of working out in front of others

That's a good idea but I never feel comfortable with those women who are so impressively fit , the problem is me not them being judgmental in general

You rarely see impressively fit women in those classes, don't worry.

• Author
My favorite thing about being a trainer is teaching people how to work out more efficiently. It's funny because the whole point of getting in shape is to extend your life. But so many people end up wasting theirs in the gym working out 10, 15, or even 20 hrs a week. My clients all do full body strength work and athletic performance training. So they are getting awesome results with three 30 min sessions a week. Granted they have to work their assess off and the intensity is high. But still, they don't have to waste unnecessary time working out. My own workouts range from 35-50 mins 4-6x a week. So even though I exercise regularly, the overall duration is only 3-4 hrs a week. Based on my conditioning level, people often guess I workout a lot more than I actually do.

That's another interesting and a reassuring info ...thanks for sharing that !

This is encouraging because 6 hours a week is nothing if it can get me fit .

I liked dumbbells exercises , push ups and crunches .

I was like , once or twice on a treadmill and it was horrible , I was sore the next all day.

I'll watch some youtube videos to decide the perfect routine to me .

I still wish I had a mini gym in my house through :laugh:

Grilled_Salmon

You could always try going for long walks and jogs out in the neighborhood. That's what I did when I was a teenager, since the closest gym was simply too far (not to mention guys I hated in school would often be there).

The staff there should be fired. Period. Granted, I've only been a member of one gym (and still am), but the staff there have always been helpful, respectful and friendly, regardless if you're fat as a walrus, skinny as a chopstick, buff as Arnie Schwartz etc.

As for gym equipment, Youtube and Google always helps.

Don't feel intimidated by all those toned guys. We all start somewhere. My brother was also very overweight, weighing 120kg/264 lbs but when he hit the gym, he gradually slimmed down to 165. And the gym we go to is full of toned guys too (and funnily, my brother snickers at some people too).

If you hate your body so much and want to change it, you shouldn't feel deterred from all the toned guys at the gym. In fact, seeing them should motivate you to put 100% effort and try harder.

Best bet is to use headphones. Blast your music and get into your own world. I workout at the YMCA all the time and see mountains in that weight area. But oh well. They worked hard for it, so shall I.

seekingpeaceinlove

EH? No, Audacious, the gym is full of a variety of people. I think all YOU CHOOSE to see are the super fit folks. Open your eyes...I guarantee there are out-of-shape, old, slow, awkward..you name it.

Do you know the type of people I silently judge while I'm working out? The girls with full on make up, sitting on a machine I need chatting it up and never breaking a sweat, the muscle-bound guys who grunt like rhinos and drop their 70lbs dumbbells carelessly around other people...

You get my drift.

LOL , Yea , and I am not even fat per se , I am just round .

I started to sort of work out alone today , just a few crunches and push ups , felt kind of ok .

I just have to do the next step , just kinda nervous because all people I see in the gym are physically perfect and move with such grace and agility that make me feel kinda self conscious about myself

Edited by seekingpeaceinlove
  • Like 1
fitnessfan365
That's another interesting and a reassuring info ...thanks for sharing that !

This is encouraging because 6 hours a week is nothing if it can get me fit .

I liked dumbbells exercises , push ups and crunches .

I was like , once or twice on a treadmill and it was horrible , I was sore the next all day.

I'll watch some youtube videos to decide the perfect routine to me .

I still wish I had a mini gym in my house through :laugh:

Actually six hours a week is still way too much IMO. If you're working out properly and have great nutrition/eating habits, you can get awesome results in 3-4 hrs a week tops.

One form of exercise I preach to my clients religiously is stair training. Now I'm not talking about Stairmaster or Step Mill. I mean actual stairs. There are flights everywhere. Stairs burn way more calories and will work your heart/lungs harder which is good. Start out by walking every other step briskly. Leaving one in between will mirror a lunge ad give you a strength endurance component that you won't get with regular running, walking, etc.. Once you get to the top of the last flight, walk down one at a time slowly and repeat. Try to find a stair well with at least ten flights up to get a good workout in. Then once your conditioning improves, you can throw in push-ups on the stairs, burpees/mountain climbers at the top and bottom, running every other stair, leap frog jumping up 2-3 steps at a time, etc.. The possibilities are endless just from stairs alone, and they are absolutely free.

However, only do stairs 2-3x a week max with rest days in between (ex - Mon, Thurs, Sat). Doing them every day is over kill. Like with anything else, it should be a part of your cross training and not the only type of exercise you get.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 2
I can't afford a treadmill for instance , but I can afford dumbbells

I guess these have to do for now , until I feel better about my body to go to the gym .

it sucks because i cannot do cardio from home

Why can't you do cardio at home? With a DVD?

I LOVE T25 from the Beach Body programs. 25 minutes of hard, fun work, with eye candy on the screen (male and female). The Beach Body programs have less, and more, intense workouts as needed, but T25 is ideal for me.

• Like 1
  • Author
Why can't you do cardio at home? With a DVD?

I LOVE T25 from the Beach Body programs. 25 minutes of hard, fun work, with eye candy on the screen (male and female). The Beach Body programs have less, and more, intense workouts as needed, but T25 is ideal for me.

I might have to look into that ..Thank you

• Author
Actually six hours a week is still way too much IMO. If you're working out properly and have great nutrition/eating habits, you can get awesome results in 3-4 hrs a week tops.

One form of exercise I preach to my clients religiously is stair training. Now I'm not talking about Stairmaster or Step Mill. I mean actual stairs. There are flights everywhere. Stairs burn way more calories and will work your heart/lungs harder which is good. Start out by walking every other step briskly. Leaving one in between will mirror a lunge ad give you a strength endurance component that you won't get with regular running, walking, etc.. Once you get to the top of the last flight, walk down one at a time slowly and repeat. Try to find a stair well with at least ten flights up to get a good workout in. Then once your conditioning improves, you can throw in push-ups on the stairs, burpees/mountain climbers at the top and bottom, running every other stair, leap frog jumping up 2-3 steps at a time, etc.. The possibilities are endless just from stairs alone, and they are absolutely free.

However, only do stairs 2-3x a week max with rest days in between (ex - Mon, Thurs, Sat). Doing them every day is over kill. Like with anything else, it should be a part of your cross training and not the only type of exercise you get.

I do that on my way to the office ....

I always take the stairs instead of the elevator

my main fears are like this :

1-Seeing all those well toned guys makes me feel worse about myself , like , they'll snicker and say see that fat dude trying to work out

2-I don't know how gym equipment work , and the assistants at the gym are kinda rude when they see someone who is not an athletic looking , because they thing like they are not serious about working out , or the equipment are pretty much easy to use

3-I hate my body , I admit it is not the worst body ever , its just ugly , fat behind and a belly .. just awful and I want to do something about that by working out . but then there is the problem

1: They won't snicker. They will see a fat dude working out so he/she won't be fat, and that is exactly what you are doing. If anything they'll wonder if you are going to stick with it. That is the attitude that I have, when I see a fat guy I wonder if he'll actually stick with it or flake like how almost all of them do.

2: Everyone has to learn at first. Do you drive? Do you remember how you came off when you were first learning to other drivers? Do you now think it was silly because almost all drivers don't really care anyway?

Just look at youtube or whatever, actually there should be a diagram on every machine on how to use it.

Assistants at the gym are usually very nice, but if they are rude then it's probably because they are annoyed at the number of times they have to show how the machines work only for the fat guy/girl to flake and never show up again.

3: Well, everyday you don't go is another day you have to live with it.

To be honest most people are super self centered, we don't even notice the fat guy in the gym. There are really only 2 kinds of guys in the gym as well: guys that want to impress other guys and guys that are focusing lots of their attention towards the women. All of your fears are only temporary obstacles, after you go to the gym for just 3-4 times then you'll get a good feel for it.

Edited by wb1988
  • Like 4
I might have to look into that ..Thank you

Without spending any money, you can find a lot of workouts on youtube. Watch some first to see what you want to try. Don't push hard at first, take breaks as needed, so that you don't get discouraged or set back by injury. When I started doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) cardio workouts at home, I could only do about 1/3 and watched the other 2/3 (do a little, stop and breathe and watch, do a little more, etc). But I got stronger with time, and now I can do more like 85% of a workout. Still not 100%! But the results have been significant in both fitness and aesthetics.

Anyway, I don't think you have any reason to fear being snickered at going to gyms. Most people at gyms want to encourage everyone toward better health and fitness. But you also don't necessarily need to go to a gym to get in great shape.

I can relate. I only recently joined a gym. I was working out at home.

Basic equipment: a couple dumbbells or barbells, sandbags, jump rope, ankle weights, etc

Some people make their own parallette bars, big or small.

Have you tried the Y or Sal Army?

Truthfully, most people will not notice you.

Make sure you do push and pull exercises like pushups + rows.

Went thru a nutritionist, got a physical done, met with a trainer, and do my own workout from home. Visit parks for cardio, go biking, there is nothing at a gym that you cannot do at home or with various outdoor actiities. I avoid Gyms and have proven that if the goal is to get healthy, then healthy it shall be. Diet, excercise, and a positive attitude do wonders! Don't allow the GYM be your reason to not get fit. Get moving is the key. Find what works.

todreaminblue

I know how you feel...a guy just recently asked em to start trainign with him......he has an interest in what i do and said we should start training together.....he lost a lot of weight going to gym over forty kilos and he is non judgemental on my size......even though he is that way

i wont train with anyone until i develop a certain level of fitness where i feel i can keep up......so i plan to start walking again...been really sick over the past two months so i am going to have to take it slow......maybe when i develop a level fo fitness i am comfortable ill keep up ill take him up on his offer.....

i like walking at night so i am left alone......to sweat and grunt.....when i had a personal trainer....i always worked out fully covered......would do that at any level of fitness.....there are many twenty four hour gyms now with pass cards .....find a time when no one is there......whatever time that is and build up your confidence or start a non aggressive form of training like walking or swimming to start.....and just cover up....dont worry about your body.....concentrate on developing a strong fitness level...for ....that keeps everyone quiet...when you aim to better yourself adn increase yoru level of personal fitness...blow what they do or think......especially when that overweight woman such as myself can bench press 100kg in weight..when i am fit i know what i am capable of....and i am pretty awesome....so would you be.........stuff them..know what you are capable of..aim to better yourself...not another or others perception of you..keep your eye on that prize of bettering yourself and know that you can and will do it every time you work out you get closer to the prize........deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
JohnsonBaby

The solution is simple : get a personal trainer ,no one is going to help you for free . Getting a trainer was the best decision I ver made you ll know how to do things properly ,at the right weight ,pace and position ,you ll avoid injury and get results fast! trust me if you start doing excercises you haven't got a clue about you won't get the results you hope for and might get badly injured

Edited by JohnsonBaby
  • Like 1
deathandtaxes

I think you're rather normal, OP. Nobody particularly enjoys exercising or working out in front of others, regardless of who they are or how they look. But here's the kicker, the vast majority of the people at the gym won't care who you are, how you look, what you do, or how you do it. They're all in their own worlds, being there for the same reason you are. And guess what? You'll still feel this way even when you've changed your life and diet and exercise and are a lot more along towards your goal than you are now. It's something you have to address and deal with and eventually just get over.

Also, nobody is born knowing how to work out and use all that fancy equipment. We either have somebody help us or we LEARN how to use the equipment. There are SO many resources out there. Gym personnel. Online resources. Books. You name it!

It might seem overwhelming at first, but the more you're there doing your thing, the more normal it will seem. You just have to start somewhere.

Best of luck to you on the start of your fitness journey!!

• Like 1
  • Author
I think you're rather normal, OP. Nobody particularly enjoys exercising or working out in front of others, regardless of who they are or how they look. But here's the kicker, the vast majority of the people at the gym won't care who you are, how you look, what you do, or how you do it. They're all in their own worlds, being there for the same reason you are. And guess what? You'll still feel this way even when you've changed your life and diet and exercise and are a lot more along towards your goal than you are now. It's something you have to address and deal with and eventually just get over.

Also, nobody is born knowing how to work out and use all that fancy equipment. We either have somebody help us or we LEARN how to use the equipment. There are SO many resources out there. Gym personnel. Online resources. Books. You name it!

It might seem overwhelming at first, but the more you're there doing your thing, the more normal it will seem. You just have to start somewhere.

Best of luck to you on the start of your fitness journey!!

I think that the best way at first is to get a personal training to show me how to work out without making a complete food outta myself .

meanwhile , I am still terrified even of walking into the gym

I must do something about it real soon before my lifestyle gets so destructive with all the burgers and sweets .

• Like 1
  • Author
The solution is simple : get a personal trainer ,no one is going to help you for free . Getting a trainer was the best decision I ver made you ll know how to do things properly ,at the right weight ,pace and position ,you ll avoid injury and get results fast! trust me if you start doing excercises you haven't got a clue about you won't get the results you hope for and might get badly injured

Yes , this is my workout plan , I need to just get the money necessary to get a fitness trainer who actually knows what he / she is doing ,

• Author
I know how you feel...a guy just recently asked em to start trainign with him......he has an interest in what i do and said we should start training together.....he lost a lot of weight going to gym over forty kilos and he is non judgemental on my size......even though he is that way

i wont train with anyone until i develop a certain level of fitness where i feel i can keep up......so i plan to start walking again...been really sick over the past two months so i am going to have to take it slow......maybe when i develop a level fo fitness i am comfortable ill keep up ill take him up on his offer.....

i like walking at night so i am left alone......to sweat and grunt.....when i had a personal trainer....i always worked out fully covered......would do that at any level of fitness.....there are many twenty four hour gyms now with pass cards .....find a time when no one is there......whatever time that is and build up your confidence or start a non aggressive form of training like walking or swimming to start.....and just cover up....dont worry about your body.....concentrate on developing a strong fitness level...for ....that keeps everyone quiet...when you aim to better yourself adn increase yoru level of personal fitness...blow what they do or think......especially when that overweight woman such as myself can bench press 100kg in weight..when i am fit i know what i am capable of....and i am pretty awesome....so would you be.........stuff them..know what you are capable of..aim to better yourself...not another or others perception of you..keep your eye on that prize of bettering yourself and know that you can and will do it every time you work out you get closer to the prize........deb

There is no gym near where I live , it is near my place of work so it'll be after 5 pm , the gym is semi full at the time and everyone looks so perfect .

you can't believe how many times I tried just to summon the courage of going and asking the front desk employee a general question let alone going there to actually work out

• 2 weeks later...
BlackOpsZombieGirl
There is no gym near where I live , it is near my place of work so it'll be after 5 pm , the gym is semi full at the time and everyone looks so perfect .

you can't believe how many times I tried just to summon the courage of going and asking the front desk employee a general question let alone going there to actually work out

Not everyone enjoys working out in front of others, so I think how you feel is normal, OP. I used to feel that way when I first starting exercising last year at a health club because my weight was higher than what I wanted it to be and I felt that I didn't 'look good' enough to exercise in front of others (which, when I think about it now, is complete RUBBISH!) But, as my weight started to come off and I started building muscle, I felt more confident about how I looked and stopped caring about what others thought about the way I looked as I exercised.

I'm currently at Planet Fitness but am saving up $$$ to purchase my own used Elliptical Trainer through Craigslist. I already have some small dumbbells and a routine that I've created for myself that includes crunches, leg lifts, butt lifts, arm exercises and 25 minutes on an Elliptical Trainer. I would still much prefer to work out in the comfort and convenience of my own home and be able to jam out to my fave tunes without having to wear ear buds.

Is buying a used piece of exercise equipment in good condition and working out in the privacy of your own home an option for you that you've considered, OP?? I think you'd be able to make more progress working out at home as opposed to working out at a public facility.

Anyone who see's someone struggling at the gym and makes fun of them is a a**hole, plain and simple. You are lapping everyone on the couch, remember that!

It takes a LOT of courage to make the decision to better yourself. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Especially for obese people - they have so much more weight to pull around and it makes exercise much more difficult for them. All the kudos to you. You have to start somewhere.

There are SO many amazing home DVD workout programs that you can do in the comfort of your own home, curtains drawn, privately. If you can't afford them, YouTube has THOUSANDS of free workout videos that are upwards of 10-20 mins long. You don't have to jump head first into a marathon! Baby steps. Any exercise that gets your heart rate up is great.

Remember - if you want this badly enough, you won't let anything stop you. I have severe anxiety so I understand fear and embarrassment, but there is always a way around an obstacle. Arnold Schwarzenegger made himself a world champion despite being in the army and having absolutely no exercise equipment at his disposal. He fashioned weights out of heavy cans and boards and anything he could find. He risked solitary confinement and snuck out to compete in his first bodybuilding competition :) Look at him now!

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...
  • Author

So I am resurrecting the thread ,thank you guys

I am doing the walking thing but I don't know if that will help in fat loss ,

I am also thinking of buying a treadmill to use at home , it would be much better and it can be an intense exercise to burn fat .

maybe later when I have a someone OK body , I will attempt to go to the gym

fitnessfan365

I'm not trying to discount your phobia of working out in front of people by any means. But based on this statement it sounds like you're simply worried about being judged. If that's the case, let me tell you this. No one is judging you at the gym. No one cares about what sort of exercise you're doing. Everyone is too wrapped up in their own workout. Once you can get over that fear of being judged, and realize that everyone is too focused on themselves it will get a lot better for you.

My mom used to be the same way in which she never wanted to workout in front of people. But once she realized that no one really cared about what she was doing, she was able to do it just fine.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Interesting topic....Here is my view and personal experiences along with a personal story of encouragement...

Way back in the 80's, I belonged to this really hardcore lifters/bodybuilders gym....Not that there weren't any women allowed, but only a few really hardcore women were members...This was a no nonsense place...Huge guys, most of them juiced to their eyeballs. throwing weights around, yelling, and killing it...It was a great place.Not like the watered down spas of today...:laugh:..:cool:

Anyway, this middle aged overweight woman walks in....

Now, at first, I think she thought she was in the wrong place...But she went ahead and struggled through a workout...Id think most people would think that these meatheads would goof on her....Nothing could be further from the truth....We all embraced her and encouraged her...Helped out where we could(I was a kid at the time and wasn't as versed as now)...But everyone was supportive as can be..

She hung in there and really made good progress...

Point is this....

Don't be too intimidated...Take away a few jerks, and the more serious people are generally less judgemental than the newbies.. Look for a more serious place...Draw strength and motivation from those who are getting it done...The chain type places are full of immature jackholes that would probably pass judgement and make someone that is starting out feel uncomfortable...Ive seen it in person...The sad part is some of the most judgemental people are the least knowledgeable or fit themselves...

Anyway, best of luck to you on your path to a more healthy life...Believe me, its not that intimidating as you might think...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 1
So I am resurrecting the thread ,thank you guys

I am doing the walking thing but I don't know if that will help in fat loss ,

I am also thinking of buying a treadmill to use at home , it would be much better and it can be an intense exercise to burn fat .

Have you tried working out at home with DVDs or online videos, as was suggested above? You can easily do cardio, body weight, dumbbell work, etc. at home.