Any geeks like me out there?

NinjaTurtlesAreCool

LookAtThisPOst
It'll be interesting to see how many women will be there although I suspect that they'll be too busy lusting after Stephen Amell to notice someone like me! ;-)

I completely forgot about that Torchwood one - would have gone to that one as well but at least it means I have a bit more spending money for next weekend! :-D

Hope you're having a great time there! I've only met Kai Owen from Torchwood (and that's a crazy story in and of itself) but I'm told the Torchwood cast are great fun at these things!

I'm 35 so 18 - 21 is way too young for me. It does seem that younger women are much more keen on these things than women around my age. I don't mind someone in her late 20s but anything younger than that wouldn't be comfortable for me. I'd prefer someone around my age. Unfortunately my experience is similar to yours - either married, married + kids or live about a million miles away (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration but definitely too far away).

- G

Yeah, that's why I take the long commute to a convention and enjoy the after parties, and havin' all the 20-something Cosplay Spider-Women and Cat women bumpin' and grindin' up against me. LOL Ya only live once. ;-)

LookAtThisPOst
I know MANY couples that met at cons.

But I have also seen the other side of it and, personally, will never date someone in the same con circuit. It is just too much drama. Especially if things go wrong.

Not sure I understand, please explain. Kind of a lame excuse not to date someone that you meet at a con actually.

They even have speed dating events at these cons , too. LOL Just check out "

" episodes as "Geek Speed Dating" make their away across the CON circuit.

So...no excuses.

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool
Not sure I understand, please explain. Kind of a lame excuse not to date someone that you meet at a con actually.

So...no excuses.

Unfortunately they rarely do that at UK cons. I even asked about the possibility of a con doing it last year and the response was that they were too busy organising everything else to 'get into the dating business', which is fair enough. Having said that, they then did have an outside company which tried to do a speed dating event there... and it was very badly organised. First, they did it right in the middle of the convention, while other stuff was going on (they turfed everyone out of the bar area to do it). They also scheduled it at the same time as photoshoots which people had booked months before.

I didn't go because it clashed with a photoshoot I had. A friend of mine went and he said it was terrible. None of the guys would speak. I was pretty annoyed as I have absolutely no problem speaking or talking so I would have probably done well! :laugh:

Anyway, long story short -the Saturday one was such a shambles that the company simply didn't turn up for the second one on Sunday. I'm guessing they were too embarrassed by the whole thing!

I did actually talk to the company that ran the speed dating event (prior to the above) and they wanted someone they could interview and make a bit of a celebrity... well, being the shameless individual I am I said I'd do it! :laugh: Initially they were interested however they started asking me questions that made me realise that they wanted someone who regularly dressed as a Klingon and had no luck at all with women. When I explained I didn't do dressing up (only exceptions have been parties - nothing against those that do, I just don't go in for it myself) and I've had quite a few relationships in the past, they lost all interest. They wanted someone that could use to play up the stereotype and that they could ridicule.

They did find someone but I've no idea what happened with him - I'm guessing he was abandoned once they realised how much they'd messed it all up and ran away.

But yeah - speed dating is something that hasn't caught on at all at UK conventions. I saw a meetup group tried it outside of a sci-fi con in London but that was in 2012 with no repeats since, so I'm guessing that didn't work out either.

- G

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool
I know MANY couples that met at cons.

But I have also seen the other side of it and, personally, will never date someone in the same con circuit. It is just too much drama. Especially if things go wrong.

Off to a con this weekend! Not expecting to meet anyone new. It will mostly be just the same old faces, which will be awesome!

I'd imagine that would be true of a lot of places, not just cons. I've heard of couples meeting at these things but it doesn't look likely with my luck at those! I'm starting to think I should just take the hint life is giving me and just carry on meeting the ladies that message me on online dating instead.

It's a pity as I would *love* to meet a geeky/nerdy woman who I had lots in common with, would be a great friend to share everything with and more as well as not having to worry about her running off screaming into the night when she'd seen my sonic screwdriver! ;-)

- G

LookAtThisPOst
I'd imagine that would be true of a lot of places, not just cons. I've heard of couples meeting at these things but it doesn't look likely with my luck at those! I'm starting to think I should just take the hint life is giving me and just carry on meeting the ladies that message me on online dating instead.

It's a pity as I would *love* to meet a geeky/nerdy woman who I had lots in common with, would be a great friend to share everything with and more as well as not having to worry about her running off screaming into the night when she'd seen my sonic screwdriver! ;-)

- G

There was this one woman on OK Cupid, surprised she's single for so long.

Mystiques World of Cosplay

Gorgeous woman with rock hard abs, kind of a little too into herself in my opinion. Always posting "look at rock hard my abs are!" pictures prior to the conventions.

She had a boyfriend she met at a San Diego Comic Con while she was staying there...had a long distance thing going. Got to see red carpet events with him when she'd go visit, but it didn't last.

She had kids later in her life, so in her 40's but really young kids.

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool
There was this one woman on OK Cupid, surprised she's single for so long.

Mystiques World of Cosplay

Gorgeous woman with rock hard abs, kind of a little too into herself in my opinion. Always posting "look at rock hard my abs are!" pictures prior to the conventions.

She had a boyfriend she met at a San Diego Comic Con while she was staying there...had a long distance thing going. Got to see red carpet events with him when she'd go visit, but it didn't last.

She had kids later in her life, so in her 40's but really young kids.

Most of my friends know that I'd love to meet someone who shared my interests and a typical reaction I get from that is "but why - those kinds of girls are right weirdos" or similar (sometimes less flattering as they tend to stereotype what that kind of person would look like - you can probably imagine the kind of things they'd say).

I'm guessing women into this stuff probably get the same. I've had plenty of relationships where it doesn't seem to be a problem at first but then they get angry or put off because I won't change or hide things I like.

It's one of the things that frustrates me - I wouldn't have a problem if someone genuinely liked me for being me and accepted the things I enjoy but didn't share them. I'd be quite happy to do the same (and have in the past) but it seems that few that I've met can get past the stereotypes and, I suspect, a worry of what their friends or family will think because I sometimes go to a con where my friends wear Star Trek uniforms or because I have a picture on the wall where I'm sitting on the bridge of the Enterprise (which is a damn good picture, if I do say so myself!).

I think I've mentioned in earlier posts that I've had messages after dates where someone has literally told me that it's a pity I like that stuff as they'd happily date me again. I actually had someone tell me to get in touch when I'd "moved on" from "that kind of thing".

I'd never dream of saying something like that to someone, personally, but maybe the lady you mention has experienced guys that behave in a similar way.

My friends certainly express similar surprise that I'm still single! :laugh:

As it goes, I'm really looking for someone who would be a great friend and someone who I could go on adventures with. Someone who I'd enjoy having long conversations with and being really silly with. She wouldn't have to be a cosplayer with rock hard abs - I don't have rock hard abs myself - but I wouldn't have a problem if my match was a cosplayer either (in fact, I'm quite a creative person so I could probably help her).

My friends always joke that the sort of woman they think I'm looking for would be like a stereotypical bespectacled geek sitting in a corner reading 'Lord Of The Rings' or 'Star Trek Magazine'. They say it in a teasing and derogatory way as none of them believe there are really women my age that are like that and they think that I'll have an epiphany at some point that will make me choose what they would class as someone 'normal' but... the woman they jokingly describe actually DOES sound like someone that would appeal to me very much!

I do think my match does exist out there somewhere but it is proving very difficult to find her.

- G

So...no excuses.

The cons I go to tend to be small. And when I say I wouldn't date someone in the same con circuit, I mean people who go to the same small cons. We're all family, and while I know quite a few couples who met at these events and are going strong, I also know quite a few that had things go awry and the fallout hit not just them, but everyone around them (in the con "family").

Because we're talking friendships. And people take sides. And it becomes really awkward if you have to mediate and you can't hang out with all your friends, because half of them aren't speaking to the other half, due to their loyalty. The drama can be real and it is definitely NOT worth it.

- G

Ha! Of course. But I find it worse than dating someone at work. Because I go to cons to have a good time, not to be slagged off by the ex's friends or whatever (I've seen it happen so many many times it's unreal! You get some freal feuds going, that last for months and months!!!)

Well... you might meet one outside of it. Or you might hit the jackpot, especially at the big signing events. My last FWB I met at work and it turns out he is a MASSIVE geek and we really bonded over that. He's never ever been to a con, though. But has Star Wars figurines around the house!

A TMNT fan made a post about female geeks in April.

Gotta love the irony. :D

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

So I come across a dating site that sounds like it was made for me! It's a Doctor Who themed dating site for introducing fans to eachother. It's based in the Uk and, for once, it doesn't look like some cookie cutter site that has member profiles imported from other sites. Great! Sounds brilliant!

So I sign up and it's all looking good. Then I do a search for members near me and... 0 results. I expand it to London and... 0 results. In the end, I just search the whole country and it reveals - surprise, surprise - plenty of female members that are up north or from the Midlands. Plenty of female members that are 15 years younger than me.

I'm starting to think that my friends are right and I'm chasing after something that is either exceedingly rare or pretty much non existent. It really disappoints me to say that as I hoped that I would at least find one or two women around my age who shared my love of sci-fi and didn't live a million miles away but I guess I really overestimated the popularity of this stuff. Now, if I was 15 years younger, I've no doubt things would be different. That's a shame as, when I was 15 years younger, girls that I dated back then would tell me they'd rather die than sit through a Star Trek movie! :laugh: So it sounds like things have changed but I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just to really add to it - without any effort at all on my part, I've had 5 women contact me on OKCupid in the last couple of weeks (and 2 on Facebook, oddly enough!). None of them share my interests like that but I've been chatting to them and it looks like I'll be starting to meet up with them soon.

I think life is just telling me that, as much as I really really want to meet a geeky lady that I can do cons with and would get why it would be great to have a TARDIS in my garden (someone famous talked me into that idea, btw), it's going to be a long and hard search. I believe that there is someone like that out there somewhere... but it feels like a search for a needle in a haystack.

It seems a bit crazy to be going to all this trouble and to these kinds of lengths when I have people contacting me at no trouble or cost, somewhere else.

It's just something that I really wanted, I suppose, but I think I need to have a rethink about the whole thing and see what else life brings my way.

Of course, I say that now but I know in a couple of days I'll suddenly think of something to try and convince myself there's a good chance of meeting someone like that there (been there so many times) - and that I shouldn't cast aside the idea as it'll be worth it in the end. I think I may be too optimistic for my own good when it comes to this, sometimes! :laugh:

Hey, you have to appreciate that rare girl who could share in your passions. That unusual quality makes her even more special!

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool
Hey, you have to appreciate that rare girl who could share in your passions. That unusual quality makes her even more special!

I would really love that and I know that sharing that doesn't necessarily mean a match but I do dream of someone who is geeky and shares my love of sci-fi. You'd think being a big Doctor Who fan would help but apparently not! Sadly, women around my age into that stuff seem to be very rare indeed. Even more so for someone reasonably local to me.

I'm only 50 minutes from London but there doesn't even seem to be someone there! :laugh:

I just seem to be having much better luck with OKCupid. Women are messaging me so I don't think I'm unattractive and I think I just need to somehow get rid of the idea that I really want to meet someone who shares my passion - otherwise I think I'll still be looking for her when I'm old and a cyborg! ;-)

- G

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

So following on from previous posts, I've been looking in forums and Facebook groups. I know I said I was pretty much giving up on this dream but, like I also said, I knew I'd come back to it. :laugh:

Anyway, it seems that for, whatever reason, the South of England is just devoid of women that like sci-fi. Asking in forums and there is also a noticeable silence. There seems to be lots of women from other places but just not the South. I don't understand it, I can't explain it but there it is.

Last night was a case in point - a Doctor Who Facebook group I'm a member of got onto the subject of Whovians (Doctor Who fans) meeting other halves through the group. I see a guy from the States says he doesn't know anyone and within a couple of minutes there are several women replying and suggesting meeting.

So I get a bit hopeful. This is Doctor Who right? A British show right? And I'm always being told there are loads and loads of female Doctor Who fans. So I respond in the same thread and say how about in England then... and utter silence. You could hear the crickets and that dog that always howls in the distance... There are no women from the South of England in a Doctor Who group! lol Keep in mind this includes our capital, London and also keep in mind where the big Doctor Who Festival is taking place... yep. London also. Yet, nobody from there. I even asked if there were women from England there at all. Nobody on there knew of any!

I actually got a message from a lady in Northern Ireland. She seemed nice but I've done a long distance to there before and I'd never do it again. She also has the same problem there apparently.

So I'm thinking that either there is some bizarre quirk that means that the south has some unusually low numbers of geeky women/women into sci-fi and they're simply rare. Or they're there but do not want to be discovered (whilst women from elsewhere do not seem to have this issue... not sure why they would be different though) or maybe they're all coupled off or do not want to meet anyone full stop. No idea but it is noticeable in so many places now I think there must be something going on there.

Anyway, I'm thinking now that this really is a hint from the universe that I'm right to call it a day on this, no matter how much I may wish that it wasn't the case (and I really do wish it wasn't the case).

I'm meeting someone off of OKCupid this weekend. She's already said she doesn't like sci-fi at all so it should be interesting but I think I'm just going to have to accept that my dream of sharing that with someone is just unrealistic. Wish me luck. :)

Don't feel like you need to find someone who's 'into sci fi' to be able to share interests. You'll be able to find someone with enough common ground to be happy, and eventually they might even come around to enjoy some of the stuff you do. On those slow weekends when it's rainy and overcast you'll be able to suggest a 'Dr Who Marathon' and they might end up becoming huge fans.

I've seen it happen before with comics and TV series etc, so it's quite common I think!

Ah I dunno, I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I'm a sci-fi girl. Love the stuff. My friends regularly comment how much of a geek house I have. My living room alone has representatives from Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I'm going to Comic Con in a couple of weeks (soo excited). I have a tribble on my desk at work and my username is just that. Oh and I'm UK based (although a northerner).

But I've never listed these things on a dating website. It wouldn't even cross my mind. I love vegging out watching re-runs of these shows but it isn't what defines me. Don't get me wrong, these conventions are ace, but it seems like you go to every one going, go to the character shoots and buy all the stuff. That's a pretty big investment. I can understand why someone without those interests might have a hard time wondering where they might fit in.

My bf isn't interested in this stuff, which is a bummer. My ability to whizz through series has taken a hit and I'm going to Comic Con with my Dad. But it makes no impact on our relationship (although he may have something to say about my decorations when he moves in). But if I was spending all my time travelling and attending conventions and all my money buying the stuff, there'd be a problem, we'd never see each other. And if I dated someone who did that, there'd be a problem too. I LOVE this stuff, but I have other stuff to occupy myself as well.

The issue may not be that you like sci-fi, but more that you single-mindedly enjoy sci-fi. In which case, you'll have to hold out for someone with the interest. So I understand your problem. Is this the only thing you look for in a potential partner? There must be other things you want? Focus on those and maybe you'll find someone like me, who has an interest but it isn't obvious, or maybe she'll be open minded and will grow to like some of this stuff with you too. Look for the important things that make or break a relationship.

• Like 1
toscaroscura
Ah I dunno, I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I'm a sci-fi girl. Love the stuff. My friends regularly comment how much of a geek house I have. My living room alone has representatives from Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I'm going to Comic Con in a couple of weeks (soo excited). I have a tribble on my desk at work and my username is just that. Oh and I'm UK based (although a northerner).

But I've never listed these things on a dating website. It wouldn't even cross my mind. I love vegging out watching re-runs of these shows but it isn't what defines me. Don't get me wrong, these conventions are ace, but it seems like you go to every one going, go to the character shoots and buy all the stuff. That's a pretty big investment. I can understand why someone without those interests might have a hard time wondering where they might fit in.

My bf isn't interested in this stuff, which is a bummer. My ability to whizz through series has taken a hit and I'm going to Comic Con with my Dad. But it makes no impact on our relationship (although he may have something to say about my decorations when he moves in). But if I was spending all my time travelling and attending conventions and all my money buying the stuff, there'd be a problem, we'd never see each other. And if I dated someone who did that, there'd be a problem too. I LOVE this stuff, but I have other stuff to occupy myself as well.

The issue may not be that you like sci-fi, but more that you single-mindedly enjoy sci-fi. In which case, you'll have to hold out for someone with the interest. So I understand your problem. Is this the only thing you look for in a potential partner? There must be other things you want? Focus on those and maybe you'll find someone like me, who has an interest but it isn't obvious, or maybe she'll be open minded and will grow to like some of this stuff with you too. Look for the important things that make or break a relationship.

I totally agree! I'm pretty geeky, and love Star Trek and comics and cartoons and yes, Ninja Turtles ;) but like you said, it doesn't define me.

I used to only date other geeks, but now having been out in the world more and dated different people, I actually prefer non-geek men that are "geek friendly". The geeky men I have dated become preoccupied with having our interests match exactly! I call it "matchy-matchy syndrome".

Like, one time my BF at the time made me watch Game of Thrones with him (I hadn't seen it), because to him, no GF of his could NOT be into GoT. And yeah, I liked GoT, but it got annoying that I HAD TO share ALL his geeky interests or we weren't "compatible" (to him). He made me watch other things and listen to his music. And sadly, he wasn't the only geek guy who acted like this.

Also like you said, there are the hardcore geeks who spend all their disposable cash on paraphernalia and maybe I sound like a drag, but I'm 36 and I have a son. Nowadays, rather than buy figurines or every back issue ever of my favorite comic, I'd rather put my money toward something more tangible like a vacation or paying down debt or other such "adult" purchases.

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

Thanks for the replies! :-)

I think I mentioned my other interests previously in this thread - I do like other stuff but sci-fi is the main one. There's a definite hatred of it out there, in my experience. I go to a lot of the big cons and some of the smaller ones too but that's because I have the time and money to do it and they give me a lot of enjoyment. I think it would be a bit silly to not go to something because it may be off-putting to someone (who I haven't even met!).

If the fear is that I would cancel a date or book a convention on someone's birthday, then of course I wouldn't do something like that.

Like I've said before, if someone feels that negatively about it then they're not a match for me. And I do find the idea of someone with similar interests an attractive idea.

I got talking to someone on Facebook recently and the fact that she collects Transformers instantly caught my eye. I was pleasantly surprised when she friended me - sadly she lives too far away and is a bit too young for me too. But it is nice to chat to someone who shares that interest and had she lived nearer then perhaps things would be a bit different.

I don't doubt that I could find someone like that and then find they weren't a good match but I think it would definitely be a good start and it would certainly make a nice change to not have someone raging at me or sending me messages about how they'd like me but can't because I like things like that.

It's also much more interesting to me than someone who just wants to talk about work and 'ambition' all the time.

I totally agree! I'm pretty geeky, and love Star Trek and comics and cartoons and yes, Ninja Turtles ;) but like you said, it doesn't define me.

I used to only date other geeks, but now having been out in the world more and dated different people, I actually prefer non-geek men that are "geek friendly". The geeky men I have dated become preoccupied with having our interests match exactly! I call it "matchy-matchy syndrome".

Like, one time my BF at the time made me watch Game of Thrones with him (I hadn't seen it), because to him, no GF of his could NOT be into GoT. And yeah, I liked GoT, but it got annoying that I HAD TO share ALL his geeky interests or we weren't "compatible" (to him). He made me watch other things and listen to his music. And sadly, he wasn't the only geek guy who acted like this.

Also like you said, there are the hardcore geeks who spend all their disposable cash on paraphernalia and maybe I sound like a drag, but I'm 36 and I have a son. Nowadays, rather than buy figurines or every back issue ever of my favorite comic, I'd rather put my money toward something more tangible like a vacation or paying down debt or other such "adult" purchases.

My experience is the opposite - I certainly don't try and make people like the same things as me, that would be pretty futile. I wouldn't want someone doing to that to me! I've had the opposite with GFs trying to put me off of my interests or trash them.

At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging (and I'm not) I have a great job and am good at saving and investing, so money is not an issue for me and I don't really have any debts as such as I've always been really good at managing that stuff. So it's certainly not the case that I don't/can't do the 'adult' stuff - it's just something that I manage well so that I can focus my life on things I enjoy and that make me happy.

I'm open to meeting women that aren't into it but I've encountered plenty of negativity from 'non-geeky' women that I think it would make a really refreshing change to meet someone who reacts positively.

LookAtThisPOst

I'm open to meeting women that aren't into it but I've encountered plenty of negativity from 'non-geeky' women that I think it would make a really refreshing change to meet someone who reacts positively.

I'm lucky if I even meet a woman in her mid-30s and beyond that would even touch anything remotely geeky. Whereas most women usually around college-aged, there are tons of them into that kind of things...esp Anime. I think women of a certain age, say middle 30s and over don't really find men their age bracket in high regards if they are into geeky stuff. They feel there's a lack of maturity there that you're living in a "fantasy world", whereas they have no problem dating guys that are sports fanatics. lol

So at 36, you're a rarity, but yes, it's good to diversify.

There are some people out there that try to pretend they like geeky stuff only because it's trending at the time as well.

I think ideally, we would all like to meet someone who shared the majority of our interests. From experience though, a lot of "big parts" of peoples lives are normaly quite one sided in terms of which gender is into it (sci-fi and sports, for example).

I grew up with a strongish sci-fi childhood/adolescence. I was into shows like star trek and dbz, and played a lot of MTG and Warhammer for a while. I was also very into sports, mainly football, and found that the majority of my team mates felt the same way as the majority of girls i met do now; they didn't really 'get it'. I grew out of al that stuff but stil consider myself fairly rooted in that side of society.

I so far haven't found it to be a big problem....sure, i've had partners in the past moan about me sitting down for a Doctor Who session, just as i've had others who can't understand how I can sit through a 90 minute football match, or spend 3 weeks straight watching the World Cup, but as long as they can understand that those things are what I enjoy, I don't really need them to get involved.

It's a shame that you have faced outright rejections based only on your hobbies though. I think people just focus too much on negative stereotypes.