Any geeks like me out there?

NinjaTurtlesAreCool

So, just out of interest, I tried a search on OKC for women near me, that are single, have no kids, between the ages of 25 and 45 and with the keyword 'cosplay'. 0 results! And that's for London (as I'm less than an hour away I include it in my search).

I'm not necessarily looking for a cosplayer but based on what others have said, thought it might be a good keyword to search on as it would probably go along with going to comic cons, sci-fi, etc.

I guess OKC is not a place to find anyone with a geeky interest!

- G

Type in something more broad, c'mon man.

Try Geek, Nerd, Games, Comics, Sci-Fi etc etc. You'll find someone, I'm sure.

My last girlfriend wasn't into geeky stuff at all (unless you count books/films/photography, which I mostly shared as well thankfully), but I explained to her that I play video games competitively as a hobby and she never had a problem with it, she even used to ask to come with me to a tournament sometime to see what it's all about.

Even before her I was dating another girl who asked me about my hobbies, when I told her I played games she went on a tirade about how much she loved the Assassin's Creed games.

I don't think it's quite the female kryptonite people make it out to be.

Having said all that, I've never had luck meeting anyone through a con or geek-related meetup. All the women are usually taken or I have trouble finding a right time to chat them up.

Grilled_Salmon

You mention having gone to a few dates, have a great job and overall, you sound like a pretty happy guy.

IMO, you're pretty much set. A guy I know is also around your age and works as a chemist (or scientist, I don't know the term for it) and is a geek to the core in heart, and always talked about that kind of stuff. And he got married very recently, in spite of his companion having little to zero interest in the stuff he's so passionate about.

I could be described as a geek myself, to some moderate degree (I do have a strong interest in sci-fi, though anything to do with military history, military and weapons will always get my attention and I could drone on forever about it). If I were living in America, my room would be full of that stuff.

Though that being said, there are few if any girls that are interested in either of those three things where I live.

SearchingForMyself
I'm suprised "BlackOpsGirl" hasn't chimed in yet...we gotta get these two together. LOL

I think she's seeing an ex so homey lost his chances

When it comes to geeky women, I have found one who drew my interests, but never really got it across that I have always liked her, even though a friend of hers told me that she had always known. She has interests in stuff like "Game of Thrones" and "Doctor Who," neither of which I have MUCH interest in, but open to trying out. However, we both like comics and video games, so I have some common interests with her. However, I still need to try to get it across that I have liked her for a long time.

Another "geeky woman" who had drawn my interests is a Gamestop employee, which I am certain that she has had many male customers hit on her. I haven't hit on her, but rather made small talk with her on different occasions. One thing that I have noticed is that she is into Pokemon, judging by the shirts that I have seen her wear, same with tattoos on her forearm of those Pokemon orbs. I haven't seen her much lately, mostly because I haven't gone into the Gamestop she works at in more than a couple of weeks.

One thing that I must say is that I hardly consider myself a nerd anymore. I am mostly into video games, movies, comic books, etc. However, I have never really gotten into other things like "Game of Thrones" or "Lord of the Rings" and other fantasy stuff like that. I am not opposed to it, but I have never really gotten into them. Just like how I am not the biggest anime buff out there, but there is some that I like.

However, just don't be like this guy that is depicted in this article.

Just letting you know, there have been plenty of articles written about the Hot Topic Stalker.

Edited by E-Squared
LookAtThisPOst
I think she's seeing an ex so homey lost his chances

Ah, I see, if at first you don't succeed....go back to the ex. :laugh:

Another "geeky woman" who had drawn my interests is a Gamestop employee, which I am certain that she has had many male customers hit on her. I haven't hit on her, but rather made small talk with her on different occasions. One thing that I have noticed is that she is into Pokemon, judging by the shirts that I have seen her wear, same with tattoos on her forearm of those Pokemon orbs. I haven't seen her much lately, mostly because I haven't gone into the Gamestop she works at in more than a couple of weeks.

I find it funny that you'd mention that, I'm actually married to a woman who I met through a shared interest in Pokemon (don't laugh!) 13 years ago. We met online on a forum for fellow Pokemon nerds, though it was actually our shared taste in music that caused us to start talking to each other. That said, to the OP, I think you might have better luck if you try to highlight any interests you have that don't revolve specifically around "geeky" activities - because of our background, my wife and I both know a lot of cosplay/convention goers and (I'm not saying this is you!) but many of them just seem rather one-sided as people go. That you are independent with a good job speaks a lot in your favor, some of the people we know are in their 30s and living with their parents, which will basically destroy anyone's chances at landing a mate.

The problem is you are not an all-around type of guy. You have your hobby, which is great, but it sounds like it's all you are focused on. Women are turned off by it because of your sole interest. You don't dabble in anything else to make you appealing. Your mentioned of your ex-girlfriends admitted she was embarrassed by your hobby, because there was nothing else for her to connect with you. You are turned off by women that have "generic" interests like traveling and skiing. It's the same turn off for women concerning you. You need to expand your interests in other things to add depth to your personality, so women can somehow connect with you. Maybe take up learning a language, cooking, photography, art, bicycling, swimming, hiking, or whatever that might interest you aside from sci-fi. Add it to your repertoire, allowing you be a little more relatable.

I guess this is what I was trying to say. Even if I shared that same interest, a one-sided person would get old after a while. Think of it this way - if you're meeting these women in a typical geeky setting, everyone there has the same shared geeky interest. What else do you have that makes you special?

That said, I love that we can curl up in bed and binge on Star Trek for hours :)

Edited by Syberia
  • Like 2
Nikki Sahagin

I'm a bit of a geek too although not to your level :cool:

It surprises me that this would be an issue. The geek demographic is SO massive and so in nowadays that it's basically cool.

LookAtThisPOst

Hey, don't forget....this Sat. is Int'l Table Top Gaming Day! Try to get to know some ladies that day!

Of course, most board game events at comic shops, if women are there, they are usually sitting quietly and quite latched on to their boyfriend at the table. :laugh:

I find it funny that you'd mention that, I'm actually married to a woman who I met through a shared interest in Pokemon (don't laugh!) 13 years ago. We met online on a forum for fellow Pokemon nerds, though it was actually our shared taste in music that caused us to start talking to each other. That said, to the OP, I think you might have better luck if you try to highlight any interests you have that don't revolve specifically around "geeky" activities - because of our background, my wife and I both know a lot of cosplay/convention goers and (I'm not saying this is you!) but many of them just seem rather one-sided as people go. That you are independent with a good job speaks a lot in your favor, some of the people we know are in their 30s and living with their parents, which will basically destroy anyone's chances at landing a mate.

I guess this is what I was trying to say. Even if I shared that same interest, a one-sided person would get old after a while. Think of it this way - if you're meeting these women in a typical geeky setting, everyone there has the same shared geeky interest. What else do you have that makes you special?

That said, I love that we can curl up in bed and binge on Star Trek for hours :)

Hey, don't forget....this Sat. is Int'l Table Top Gaming Day! Try to get to know some ladies that day!

Of course, most board game events at comic shops, if women are there, they are usually sitting quietly and quite latched on to their boyfriend at the table. :laugh:

First time in 3 years I'm missing Tabletop Day! Such a shame!

OP good luck on the SG con. I know a few people that usually go to those, but haven't heard much movement about this particular one. I don't go to cons by that organiser for many reasons, but hope you have fun! And maybe meet some geeky ladies!

I am personally looking forward to the Torchwood con in a month! :)

I've always excelled academically but never was into things like anime and Star Wars. I don't really play video games like that anymore either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

Well, I'm back from the Stargate con I was at this weekend where I had a great time! :-) Made a few new friends - thought I had found someone interesting who was around my age and didn't live far from me... we seemed to be getting on well until she said she is married with a kid. Doh!

I'm starting to think this is just chasing a dream. It seems most geeky women in their late 20s or in their 30s are either already in relationships or live far too far away.

I'm not changing who I am though as I'm happy with who I am.

- G

rockyrockerson

I don't think you're just chasing a dream. If you are then I am too. I'm looking for all of the same things in a guy. My problem is that I keep meeting these guys who are into anime, and they call themselves nerds because they watch the news in the evening or have read the science memes on Facebook. Where are all the Sci-fi loving science nerds?

I tried to have a relationship with a guy who just wasn't into Star Trek or Doctor Who or science. It made it difficult to have conversations when your interests just don't match.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there are women across the pond who are having the same problems as you. Good luck on your search!

Edited by rockyrockerson
  • Like 1
I don't think you're just chasing a dream. If you are then I am too. I'm looking for all of the same things in a guy. My problem is that I keep meeting these guys who are into anime, and they call themselves nerds because they watch the news in the evening or have read the science memes on Facebook. Where are all the Sci-fi loving science nerds?

I tried to have a relationship with a guy who just wasn't into Star Trek or Doctor Who or science. It made it difficult to have conversations when your interests just don't match.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there are women across the pond who are having the same problems as you. Good luck on your search!

Matches like that are like chasing rainbows and unicorns. They happen, but finding a woman with such geeky interests is extremely rare. Oh, the conversations and fun experiences that you could have with someone who shared in your passions and interests!

Imagine running into a woman who knows what you are talking about!

Matches like that are like chasing rainbows and unicorns. They happen, but finding a woman with such geeky interests is extremely rare. Oh, the conversations and fun experiences that you could have with someone who shared in your passions and interests!

Imagine running into a woman who knows what you are talking about!

In my circle it's actually pretty common. I don't think I have a single female friend who doesn't know what Doctor Who is, or isn't into either Star trek or Star Wars...

We're not unicorns. There's actually quite a LOT of us out there.

In my circle it's actually pretty common. I don't think I have a single female friend who doesn't know what Doctor Who is, or isn't into either Star trek or Star Wars...

Wild. Most women in my part of the USA get turned off if you mention Star Trek and they usually don't know who Doctor Who is.

I've run into maybe TWO women in my life who are like that, who aren't Comic Book store, Gamestop employees or have a geeky boyfriend. It's to the extent where I think that a female geek is an extremely rare kind of person.

rockyrockerson

My entire circle of friends (meaning female friends) was made up of geeks. But then I moved and now it's kind of difficult to find those kinds of people. Like ASG said, I think there are a bunch of geeky girls like us. Of course, I spend most of my time in a lab so maybe that's part of the problem!

Also, I don't tend to wear a lot of shirts that shout 'geek' so it may be that you pass a lot of geeky girls a day and you just don't know it because they're not wearing the badges of geekdom.

Edited to add: I don't think I've ever typed 'geek' that many times before in one little paragraph. Geek! :-P

My entire circle of friends (meaning female friends) was made up of geeks. But then I moved and now it's kind of difficult to find those kinds of people. Like ASG said, I think there are a bunch of geeky girls like us. Of course, I spend most of my time in a lab so maybe that's part of the problem!

Also, I don't tend to wear a lot of shirts that shout 'geek' so it may be that you pass a lot of geeky girls a day and you just don't know it because they're not wearing the badges of geekdom.

That might be true for strangers, but I was basing my experiences off co-workers and classmates. These are "normal" people who know of my interests, but can't relate to them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

I have the opposite - nearly every female friend I have has never watched Star Wars and thinks Doctor Who is daft (bad news for me as I have two shelves full of Doctor Who DVDs - classic and new - and am catching up on the Big finish audio stories at the moment). I don't doubt my geeky female match is out there somewhere... but it is proving incredibly difficult to find her! :laugh:

Well, my next con is in a couple of weeks and is a superhero con (with guests from Arrow, The Flash and Gotham). I'm not going there looking for someone but you never know, I guess!

- G

I have the opposite - nearly every female friend I have has never watched Star Wars and thinks Doctor Who is daft (bad news for me as I have two shelves full of Doctor Who DVDs - classic and new - and am catching up on the Big finish audio stories at the moment). I don't doubt my geeky female match is out there somewhere... but it is proving incredibly difficult to find her! :laugh:

Well, my next con is in a couple of weeks and is a superhero con (with guests from Arrow, The Flash and Gotham). I'm not going there looking for someone but you never know, I guess!

- G

Well, the good news is that that is going to be a MASSIVE con. And you can bet at least 75% will be girls pinning over Amell (we are talking about the organiser that runs Vampire Diaries and Supernatural cons, after all, and their target demographic is female)

Good luck on your search!

I'm off to a Torchwood con myself today. Looking forward to partying it up this weekend! :)

LookAtThisPOst
Well, I'm back from the Stargate con I was at this weekend where I had a great time! :-) Made a few new friends - thought I had found someone interesting who was around my age and didn't live far from me... we seemed to be getting on well until she said she is married with a kid. Doh!

I'm starting to think this is just chasing a dream. It seems most geeky women in their late 20s or in their 30s are either already in relationships or live far too far away.

I'm not changing who I am though as I'm happy with who I am.

- G

Yeah, unless you're willing to date Anime chicks between 18 and 21, be prepared that most Convention women are married with children. Seems any women at these things 30+ are married with children. LOL GO figure.

There's this one early 40s woman that's a MAJOR cosplay chick, has a rock hard body, and found her on OK Cupid...but shes' rather narcissistic and always does these "Flex" photos in the mirror...kind of rigid in her dating profile, too.

Thing is she's a single mother with rather young children, had them later in life.

I found it kind of strange she hasn't hooked up at a con.

41 years old

Some of the things I watch:

Star Wars

Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul

The Shield

The Walking Dead

Game of Thrones

The Thing

Alien/Aliens

Terminator/Predator

TMNT

Avid gamer since the days of the Atari 2600

Japanese and Mexicans in masks jumping off the top rope

Only some of my geeky habits. I have NO chance haha!

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool
Well, the good news is that that is going to be a MASSIVE con. And you can bet at least 75% will be girls pinning over Amell (we are talking about the organiser that runs Vampire Diaries and Supernatural cons, after all, and their target demographic is female)

Good luck on your search!

I'm off to a Torchwood con myself today. Looking forward to partying it up this weekend! :)

It'll be interesting to see how many women will be there although I suspect that they'll be too busy lusting after Stephen Amell to notice someone like me! ;-)

I completely forgot about that Torchwood one - would have gone to that one as well but at least it means I have a bit more spending money for next weekend! :-D

Hope you're having a great time there! I've only met Kai Owen from Torchwood (and that's a crazy story in and of itself) but I'm told the Torchwood cast are great fun at these things!

Yeah, unless you're willing to date Anime chicks between 18 and 21, be prepared that most Convention women are married with children. Seems any women at these things 30+ are married with children. LOL GO figure.

I'm 35 so 18 - 21 is way too young for me. It does seem that younger women are much more keen on these things than women around my age. I don't mind someone in her late 20s but anything younger than that wouldn't be comfortable for me. I'd prefer someone around my age. Unfortunately my experience is similar to yours - either married, married + kids or live about a million miles away (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration but definitely too far away).

- G

• Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

Just a couple of days until the con now - really looking forward to it!:-) I'm going first and foremost for the guests (I've got photoshoots with everyone bar two who I've met before) so I'm going to be busy! Not sure whether I'm going to have time for meeting anyone there (well, aside from friends obviously) but we'll see. I plan to have a great time and if luck decides to be on my side, then that'll be great but if not then I'll still make damn sure I enjoy myself there anyway!

- G

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
NinjaTurtlesAreCool

Well, I did the con a couple of weeks ago and I had a great time and made a couple of new friends but nothing more than that.

Just before I went, someone asked in the con group on FB who was from where and there were a large number of women from the North and the Midlands but only one from the South of England and London area. There were actually more from Luxembourg! :laugh:

I don't know why but there seems to be very very few geeky women from anywhere near me at these things.

I don't doubt that there is someone for me out there but I'm starting to think she may simply be too rare or too hard to find. A lot of my friends have being trying to dissuade me from someone who would be considered geeky and a couple of them flat refuse to believe that there are even women that like sci-fi out there. One of them even said she'd "eat her hat" if I met someone at the last con I went to. You have no idea how much I wanted to prove her wrong and see her have to make good on that promise! ;)

I think that was the 7th con I've done so far this year and, whilst I've enjoyed them, I don't think they're a very good place to meet people for anything more than friends. I've tried online dating and forums trying to find women who share my interests, with similar results. They just don't seem to be out there.

In contrast, I've kind of neglected the online dating so haven't been very proactive and I have had two women initiate contact with me, in the last couple of weeks. So I don't think it's that I'm somehow repellant or unattractive!

- G

I know MANY couples that met at cons.

But I have also seen the other side of it and, personally, will never date someone in the same con circuit. It is just too much drama. Especially if things go wrong.

Off to a con this weekend! Not expecting to meet anyone new. It will mostly be just the same old faces, which will be awesome!