What my psychiatrist said (Updated)

• Author

Just an update. I am now settled in in my new town and my new job. I find myself so busy at work that I rarely think of ex-MM. And when I do, I think "what is the point of thinking of this" and stop thinking about him. I have no desire to contact him and am not missing him, really, at all.

• Like 4
Just an update. I am now settled in in my new town and my new job. I find myself so busy at work that I rarely think of ex-MM. And when I do, I think "what is the point of thinking of this" and stop thinking about him. I have no desire to contact him and am not missing him, really, at all.

That's great! However you need to prepare for the excitement of moving and starting a new job to die down and then some old feelings of loneliness and longing may start to creep in. You need to be ready for that and to have a plan for getting through it.

During a very painful break up I went through about 10 yrs ago, I was almost manic in my quest to stay busy and keep my life exciting, because when ever things became quiet and I was alone with my thoughts the pain would engulf me. I finally realized that all the things I was doing to get my mind off of him were really just attempts by me to outrun the horrible feelings of pain. I eventually just had to let that hurt wash over me and go through it.

Don't get me wrong, staying busy and doing new things are actually great ways to recover from a break up, but just be prepared for it not to be always enough and to still have moments of anguish.

It's great that you have moved and are getting settled!

Change is good and you have the ability to take charge of your own life/happiness.

With this change I hope you can become strong enough to not answer when he calls...even blocking him at this point moving forward!!!

OP, did you make it up about your psychiatrist giving you the most damaging and destructive advice?

Did you feel you needed a "permission" to do what you wanted to do anyway?

People here gave you tons of the most amazing advice and support, all of which you chose to ignore. You keep stepping on the same rake over and over again, but at least you should stop acting surprised when it hits you again.

• Like 2