Should I "lie" about my age on dating sites

too2

Put your REAL age then in your profile say you are looking for women from 18 to 25 geeeezzz!!!

I discourage putting 35 and then inside your profile saying you are in fact 41, that is SO tacky!! Each time I got a message like this I told the man to build himself some self-esteem and to get back to me after.

There is nothing wrong for a 41 yo to be looking for a younger woman, you got your reasons, just be honest about it!

Standard-Fare

1) You may indeed look young for your age, but unless you actually have some sort of growth/hormone disorder, you don't look "25-29." I promise you. No normal 41-year-old does. It doesn't matter what people tell you or what you prefer to believe. Give yourself a reality check by looking around at actual 25-year-olds.

2) As you've seen from the unanimous comments here, it's a terrible idea to start out any dating relationship with the foundation of a lie. If you're looking strictly for one-night stands, sure, go for it. But if you intend to see a woman more than once, you're asking for a world of trouble.

• Like 1
travelbug1996

For me, I never tell my age in real life so I don't on OLD. If we get past a first date I tell them I'm not that age and why I don't tell my age in real life. Be honest after the first date if things click. If not, oh well.

Well just keep in mind if you lie about your age then you cant really get mad if say a women lies about her weight ha?..I mean a lie is a lie and whats good for the goose is good for the gander..

• Like 3

I don't online date, but I'd just put my actual age if I did. I have dummy accounts to check women out in my area and I don't know if the women are just more desperate here, but simply checking their profile out has them looking at my dummy accounts profile as well.

If you're truly attractive to behold, then I am sure once they see what you actually look like, they will dismiss that you're older than what they wanted. Or they won't.

Either way, for me anyway since I have an unusual first and last name, goggle my name and you will figure out my age. I know women goggle my name a lot.

LOL EVERYONE online looks 10-15 yrs younger than they are and are told so on a regular basis irl.

Guess what OP, people lie, they tell white lies to be polite. At 41 you DO NOT look 25, I am 99.9% sure of it. Esp if you are a white male.

Don't lie, it's unbecoming.

I dated a girl a few times that when I first saw her, I just ignored her. I'd see she was trying to flirt with me, but no fooking way was I going near that ****. Cause she looked like she was 19ish at best. She was 4'11", blonde, really cute, slim body, small boobs...no way she's old enough! I'd have to be a dirty old man to entertain the thought. OK, so I'm a dirty old man. But I was still not going to go near that!! Luckily she came up to me and started a conversation. I only ever gave her glancing looks before, but looking at her dead on, she wasn't 19. Really young looking, sure, but not under age (by my books). Turned out, she was actually 2 years older than me :laugh:

So imagine this. You lie about your age. After 5 or six dates, things are going really well. So well in fact that you decide to go on vacation together.

You get your passport, drivers license etc together and book a holiday. But wait, what's this? You need to enter your date of birth to validate your API and you can't keep up the lie otherwise you'll be refused entry onto the plane.

You tell you new girl, oh yeah well actually when I said I was X years old that was actually a lie and I am in fact Y.

What is she going to think? He's a liar. If he's lying about that then what else is he lying about? Does he have an STD? Does he have a kid somewhere? Is he still married?!? Just like all the other liars I've met. What a douchebag. Goodbye.

So no, do not lie, unless this conversation appeals to you.

Absolutely agree with Pete. I met a guy through OLD who told me he was 38; but later admitted he was 50 (To his credit he looked great for 50 - - which is beside the point - -a lie is a lie). Oh and he also admitted he was married.

So yes, while you may think shaving 5 years off of your age isn't that big of a deal - - for those of us who have been in situations like this - - it's only going to give us pause as to what else you aren't being truthful about.

Should I lie?

Answer is always no.

No more discussion.

It will bite you on the arse.

Unless I guess your intention is only sex and not a relationship, and then I guess you could lie without ever being found out or it hurting you, but lying still reflects poorly on you as a person, even if you don't face the consequences.

LOL EVERYONE online looks 10-15 yrs younger than they are and are told so on a regular basis irl. :rolleyes:

Guess what OP, people lie, they tell white lies to be polite. At 41 you DO NOT look 25, I am 99.9% sure of it. Esp if you are a white male.

Don't lie, it's unbecoming.

Damn right!

<---That's me as of this month. I'm 41 in just over three weeks and I've bloody well earned the right to look, and be this old! :laugh:

• Like 3
I don't online date, but I'd just put my actual age if I did. I have dummy accounts to check women out in my area and I don't know if the women are just more desperate here, but simply checking their profile out has them looking at my dummy accounts profile as well.

I read the profiles of every man who looks at me... Didn't know I was desperate for doing that...

Why on earth do you have dummy accounts? Whats the point?

I'm looking to upload my profiles on a couple of dating websites. But before I do that, would (or should) I "lie" my age by a few years (younger that is).

The thing is I look between 25 to 29 years old (that's what everybody told me; 10 out of 10 people that is). I don't look 35 or even 40 yet. I'm actually a 41-year old man and 5' 10" tall.

I'm thinking about listing that I'm 5-years younger (about 35-ish) than my real age to attract more females.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Don't do it.

Why would you want to attract someone on the basis of a lie? Do you plan to lie forever? Do you think it will go well when you say surprise I'm not really 29 I'm 41...I mean come on...

It will make you seem very insecure and creepy to lie about your age.

I'm also suspicious of people who believe they look half their age, not even a few years short of it, but half, it usually has proven to be an over estimation on their part. If you're 41 admit you're 41...I'm sure many women are looking for men in that range, unless you are trying to target women in their 20s or something. But women closer to your age will be interested and if you look attractive and as young as you say it's also possible for women of varying ages to come across your profile and like you.

The only thing I'd say to lie on is your body type, but only a little bit.

I'm more slender/average-ish but I put Athletic down for mine (I do run/workout 3-5 times aweek though - just not jacked like a lot of guys lol).

Lying on age is a bad idea

When you said 25-29 I scoffed and thought. Who is he kidding and why is he that insecure?

Ii'm pretty sure it would be a similar reaction for most people.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers
Funny how eryone says they look much younger than their age and i have never seen it with any women i met for a date. 2-3 years at most.

Agreed. I think 99% of people who claim to look younger than their age are deluded. I know we live in a youth-obsessed world, but get over it and learn to age gracefully.

I would also dump a guy I found out had lied about his age or anything else.

• Like 4
Standard-Fare
Agreed. I think 99% of people who claim to look younger than their age are deluded. I know we live in a youth-obsessed world, but get over it and learn to age gracefully.

Totally. And I love how some people cling to the "I still get carded" thing as evidence that they "still look young." 95 percent of the time it's places that are sticking to liquor laws so closely that they have to card anyone under 50. It's not that they're looking at your face and actually doubting that you're over 21. Only the self-delusional will make that takeaway.

• Like 2
Ruby Slippers

^ Yes. I'm late 30s and get carded just about every time. Never once have I assumed it's because I look so young. I assume it's because they're adhering to rules about checking IDs. I've seen people with white hair get carded :laugh:

Definitely. The key is to aim to look good DESPITE your age. There is something that I have always found incredibly sexy about older women who take care of themselves.........only now I'm finally within their demograph!

• Like 1
Totally. And I love how some people cling to the "I still get carded" thing as evidence that they "still look young." 95 percent of the time it's places that are sticking to liquor laws so closely that they have to card anyone under 50. It's not that they're looking at your face and actually doubting that you're over 21. Only the self-delusional will make that takeaway.

My grey temples are all the ID cards that I need!!!! :laugh:

I tend to think it's just tragic when people can't own their age. Women who try and stop the clock with surgery and endless injections, men who dress ridiculously to try and deny where they are at in life. Stop clinging to the past, be proud of where you are. There is just no dignity in pretending.

BlackOpsZombieGirl
Definitely. The key is to aim to look good DESPITE your age. There is something that I have always found incredibly sexy about older women who take care of themselves.........only now I'm finally within their demograph!

I respect the fact that - not only are you honest about your age - but that you OWN it and are CONFIDENT about it! Straight up, I'm not sure why you're still single! How is it that a woman within our age range and in your area hasn't snapped you up yet?!:cool: They must be BLIND lol

• Like 1