Anyone a psychic?

GirlDown

sometimes it's a feeling, sometimes you get it from other people. a coin isn't going to send messages to your brain. at least, it doesn't to me.

I chose a coin flip because each flip is independent of the previous one or at least it should be.

What you are describing could be a message sent by your subconscious based on a model of the person, and your observations. The estimates can be weighed, and decisions can be made.

You are probably making a priori estimates based on evidence and a model.

Can you make predictions with no information on the person? No name, age, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Likewise, a good coin flip won’t be affected by the previous flips.

People who I'm close to answer my questions without my having to ask them and phone me when I want to hear from them. I have gotten impressions of people just from their voices over the phone (having never met them) that were completely correct.

My dad used to see visions of his future in fires. He an atheist who didn't believe in ghosts or any other such thing but he took this vision thing as a matter of course.

And one quantum theoriist, D'Arthez, is positing a possible 29 dimensions, and based on that, there's a point where relativity is explainable. I see no reason why there can't be dimensions we can't imagine - because we, in our three-dimensional world, are perhaps not constructed to view or comprehend creatures in other dimensions. Or maybe it's just that we are to (unknown other) as amoebas are to humans.

moimeme

People who I'm close to answer my questions without my having to ask them and phone me when I want to hear from them. I have gotten impressions of people just from their voices over the phone (having never met them) that were completely correct.

I have three objects in front of me. One of them is cylindrical, one is circular, and the other you’ll have to figure out.

What are the numbers and words on each of them?

Originally posted by BlockHead

You have a finite number of positions, pieces, and moves assuming that cyclical moves aren?t permitted. Like tic-tac-toe, it will probably boil down to a no win situation.

Yes Blockhead. The number of legal positions in chess is estimated to be close to 10 to the 120th power. Good luck analyzing these positions.

For reference sake; there are more legal positions possible on the chess board, than there are atoms in the entire universe.

And one quantum theoriist, D'Arthez, is positing a possible 29 dimensions, and based on that, there's a point where relativity is explainable. I see no reason why there can't be dimensions we can't imagine - because we, in our three-dimensional world, are perhaps not constructed to view or comprehend creatures in other dimensions. Or maybe it's just that we are to (unknown other) as amoebas are to humans.

Absolutely right about the dimensions moimeme; but if we have to accept the fact that there may be 29 dimensions (I am not denying the possibility), it will be very hard for us to understand the results and outcomes of the QM solution to human behavior and thoughts. We would know the results are there, but cannot possibly fathom them.

Unless of course, we would have reached general enlightenment, and a clear understanding of life, physics, mathematics, spirituality, et cetera.

If this theorist is right about the 29 dimensions, it will still be hard to imagine what impact it could have on our understanding of literally everything. From the behavior of the particles in water to cell-biology.

29 dimensions?

Why not 30 dimensions?

Why not 360 dimensions?

Why would it matter?

How does it relate to psychics?

We would know the results are there, but cannot possibly fathom them.

But we'll know there is a reason, even if our teeny brains can't grasp the entire scope of that reason. I suppose that won't satisfy those who feel that it's within human capability to comprehend everything. Those of us who accept that we probably can't don't really need to nail it down. We'll just watch the folks who badly need to know (controlling, I figure) turn themselves inside-out and backwards trying to compute that which the human brain is probably unable to compute. But I may even be wrong in that. Maybe it's an excruciatingly simple and obvious solution that none of us have twigged to yet.

Originally posted by moimeme

But we'll know there is a reason, even if our teeny brains can't grasp the entire scope of that reason.

Even without an exact scientific and 100% accurate explanation, we know that there is an explanation.

In fact there will always be at least 2 explanations to human behavior. One mathematical explanation, and one psychological.

I will be content understanding life a bit from a philosophical and psychological point of view. If I can make sense of human behavior with the little bits I have learned, I can live my everyday life, without having to read reports on the oxytocin levels of myself and my future gf, moimeme.

without having to read reports on the oxytocin levels of myself and my future gf, moimeme

We're all prisoners of our neurochemicals, d'Art. I figure it's a real good idea to learn about them in order to work with them. Since I've been doing so, I am less buffetted by the vagaries of my physiology.

If 'PMS' doesn't strike fear and terror into your soul, congratulations. Personally, I'm not satisfied with 'it's just how I feel' as an answer and, at the end of the day, neither philosophy nor psychology nor math will explain some things - unless you go into neuropsych. It's much more important to me to know why I'm grumpy some days for no visible reason than why my instincts about people are right. And neurochemicals provided a much more sensible answer than philosophy or analytic psych could have.

Actually the quote was a reference to Fatal Femme's thread about romantic relationships, wherein I even proposed DNA testing for compatibility. Neurochemicals can give an indication and even an explanation to grumpiness, or most other moods. But often little to make these moods disappear; and I am well aware that I am a toy to various neurochemicals at times myself; but at 25 years of age I have acquired a bit of selfawareness, which helps a lot, in more than one way.

PMS does not strike fear and terror in me. Don't give Dubya ideas.

An answer is only important as you perceive something as a problem. It's part of life for me with interactions with women, but I will never experience myself what it is to suffer from PMS. For me it can never be as much of a problem as it can be to a woman who suffers severely from PMS.

Maybe that also explains why I don't need a neurological explanation of it. I simply accept that some women suffer from PMS in a major way. And believe me, I would never make a joke about it.

d’Arthez

In fact there will always be at least 2 explanations to human behavior. One mathematical explanation, and one psychological.

Those are models and like any model, they will fail at some point.

What is the model of a man?

What is the model of a normal person?

What is the model of a mechanical system?

What is the model of an electronic system?

Why do we have psychology and sociology?

Does the moon have an elliptic orbit? No, it is spiraling away in an orbit subject to gravitational effects, and the dampening effect of our oceans.

moimeme

We're all prisoners of our neurochemicals, d'Art.

The only prisoner is your imagination.

I am as Bayesian as you are Newtonian.

Every atom in the universe has a gravitational effect on you. If these atoms are subject to unseen and unknown forces in the universe then you are also subject to these unseen and unknown forces.

I flipped a coin 20 times and recorded my results. If anybody wants to test their psychic abilities then type out 20 uppercase letters consisting of H for heads, and T for tails. I’ll provide my results later. That should give us an idea of how psychic you might be.

The chimp score is 10/20, and here are some stats.

You have a 17.6% chance of getting 10/20.

49.6% chance of getting (9-11)/20

73.6% chance of getting (8-12)/20

88.4% chance of getting (7-13)/20

95.8% chance of getting (6-14)/20

98.8% chance of getting (5-15)/20

99.72% chance of getting (4-16)/20

25.2% chance of getting (12-20)/20

13.2% chance of getting (13-20)/20

5.76% chance of getting (14-20)/20

2.07% chance of getting (15-20)/20

0.59% chance of getting (16-20)/20

0.13% chance of getting (17-20)/20

0.02% chance of getting (18-20)/20

0.002% chance of getting (19-20)/20

0.0000954% chance of getting 20/20 <- reminds me of the lottery

I want to see if anybody here can get 17/20 or better.

Blockhead, the weight distribution of the coin does play a role in it. So chances are 100% that it is not 50-50.

Are we to use a dime, a nickel a quarter or a penny? And for those outside of the US, which Czech Republic coin would I be wise to use?

Why do we have conversations, if they can fail, or we can be misunderstood?

PMS does not strike fear and terror in me. Don't give Dubya ideas.

LOL

Actually the quote was a reference to Fatal Femme's thread about romantic relationships, wherein I even proposed DNA testing for compatibility

I remember. I'm more inclined towards lie detectors or voice analysis, myself :D

d’Arthez

Blockhead, the weight distribution of the coin does play a role in it. So chances are 100% that it is not 50-50.

I used a quarter, and they should be stamped out to about 1/1000th of an inch.

Coins are very hard to load unlike dice, and I would expect an almost immeasurable discrepancy in the mean to be apparent after about 10 billion flips.

I won’t use a random number generator because the numbers aren’t really random.

I used a similar quarter for my earlier experiment and I got heads 29 out of 60 tries.

d’Arthez

That near immeasurable discrepancy could just be another random occurrence. The goal is not to use a perfectly random coin but to evaluate any so-called psychic abilities.

RecordProducer

BlockHead, yours were guesses, not predictions. In theory you could have guessed 100% in one session, it doesn't mean you're a psychic overall.

What passes for mind reading is in my case just a developed skill of people reading. With some thoughtful awareness it isn't hard to tell what people are going to say next, what is on their mind or even answer questions they are about to answer but haven't vocalized.

Regarding knowing that the phone is going to ring and who is calling is just an unconscious awareness of the probability of someone calling at a given time. I do it all the time and it really freaks some people out but I don't consider myself psychic.

We humans take in a massive quantity of data all the time, most of which we are not consciously aware of and process unconsciously as well the end result is what I call intuition.

No one has true psychic abilities, however someone might have skills they don't even know they have that appear to be psychic.

Take any so-called "psychic" out of their area of competent operation, put them in a controlled environment and they lose their psychic abilities.

RecordProducer

BlockHead, yours were guesses, not predictions.

Why don’t you test your psychic abilities? Just type up two lines of 20 T’s and H’s. Make one line just a set of random guesses (be creative), and use your psychic abilities to determine the second set of 20 flips. I’ll compare the results, and let you know. What have you got to lose?

moimeme

Stop being prophetic, and try to show your latent psychic abilities if they do exist. You aren’t God so there shouldn’t be a problem if you are put to the test.

What is the worst thing I can do? Prove that you aren’t psychic.

RecordProducer

In theory you could have guessed 100% in one session, it doesn't mean you're a psychic overall.

What are the chances of me guessing 100%? About 1 in a 1000000.

Craig

No one has true psychic abilities, however someone might have skills they don't even know they have that appear to be psychic.

You can’t say that with absolute certainty. There are many unknowns, and your model may be over simplistic.

Craig

Take any so-called "psychic" out of their area of competent operation, put them in a controlled environment and they lose their psychic abilities.

That is what the coin flip experiment is all about. It may not be a random sampling of the population, but it should be reasonable.

Try it. Predict H (Heads) or T (Tails) for 20 consecutive coin flips. Try using some random guesses (be creative), your mental powers, or both on separate lines.

I already flipped a coin 20 times so all you need to do is provide your results.

I won’t report any results on the message board. Why? Because that creates a history which people can consciously or unconsciously work from. Theoretically, it would take at least 21 attempts to get all of the flips correct using the results from previous attempts.

I actually met someone here on LS that gave me a reading about a year ago.

The things they told me were ridiculous at the time and I thanked them and thought theres no way they are right.

A year later almost everything they told me was absolutely correct!! Things that nobody could know. No one! I remember I looked up the printed conversation we had and re-read it and got chills becausde everything they had said had happened and had come to light. It was crazy!!!!

EC

Do you think she could have made those predictions with no information from you?

What if you fed her bogus information? Would she be able to make an accurate prediction if you told her that you had a lobotomy, hysterectomy, you have 16 children, and that you love the taste of tobacco.

d’Arthez

Let’s look at the Rubik’s cube.

There are four possible positions, and six possible moves (2 per axis) giving you a total of 24^6 = 191102976 possible combinations. I believe it can be compressed, using the symmetry of the cube, into a template which includes mirror images and that should result in a substantial reduction in the number of combinations (maybe 4^6-1 = 4095 templates). Memorize them and you can solve any cube super fast.

Should we look at chess in the same way? Are they geniuses or are they savants parsing through memorized tables? They only need to remember the winning moves.

EC

Do you think she could have made those predictions with no information from you?

What if you fed her bogus information? Would she be able to make an accurate prediction if you told her that you had a lobotomy, hysterectomy, you have 16 children, and that you love the taste of tobacco.

I don't know...but what I do know is that with only a certain bit of information she knew things that NO ONE, absolutely no one knew about. She knew things that I was to find out..and a year later when I least expected it..I found them out. It was very weird because I am skeptical, but I went along with the reading because I was bored at work and kept the convo because some of the things she said were interesting. But a year later when all the things came out and I went back and read it I seriously recieved chills! I mean how did they know all of that???

And it wasn't dumb things that you can put two and two together and figure out this and that was going to happen sort of like cause and effect. No it was very personal things that no one knew about.

All this coming from a person I had only spoken to 'online' for about 5 mins.

I don't know but they did not ask for all of that. Just name and a birthdate. Had I given her that information wrong I dont know what would of happened.

IhavenoFREAKINclue

How come psychics don't know lottery numbers? If they can predict the future, play the lotto and get rich. I don't believe in any of that crap

But then again regarding psychics...I heard a story once that made me go hmmmmm...

I don't know if my version of the story is correct or the characters, but Im just going to write what I remember.

There was a king and a queen and they were having a baby. So the queen went to her 'advisor' and the 'advisor' told her that she had to get rid of the baby because when it grew up the baby was going to kill its father and marry its mother.

So the queen freaked out and sent the baby far far away so that none of that would happen.

Well the boy became this great warrior and traveled the world or something I dont know. But point is he had to go back to his country for some reason. Well on the way back to his homeland there was a homeless guy on the way that attacked him and he killed the man. (The man turned out to be his father)..then when he went to his homeland, he fell in love with this beautiful woman and married her and it turned out to be his mother.

That my ghetto version of the story, if anyone knows the real story please share it lol....Point is had the queen not went to the 'advisor' she would not have sent her baby away and things would have ended different?

Chess is not that simple, I am afraid.

At the first move, both Black and White have 20 moves to choose from. At the second move, the average number of moves for each player is about 26 or 27 depending on the exact first moves. For third moves that number is often around 30-35 moves to choose from. Then we are already in the millions of possibilities.

Only a few moves should not be considered because of repetion of moves, such as 1. Nf3 Nf6 2. Ng1 Ng8, because the position after 2 moves is the same as the starting position.

At first it seems fairly simply, but it is not. Chess theory in some variations of the King's Indians defense or the Sveshnikov or Dragon variations of the Sicilian defense can be as long as 20+ moves by each player, to get to the real starting position of the fight. These positions are often considered even, but highly unbalanced.

For instance Black plays for an attack on the Queenside of the board, and White plays for an attack on the Kingsside of the board. Sometimes White wins, sometimes Black wins. Maybe next year we will find out that 22 ... xx-yy in the Sveshnikov does not work. It leaves tons of alternatives by move 18.

EC that is basically the Oedipus myth; Oedipus was the son of the King and Queen of Thebes (memory!), and he grew up in the wild. Accidentaly he slayed his own father, and he rescued the city of Thebes of the Sphinx. As a reward he had to marry his own mother. He had children with her.

And the advisor was at the Oracle of Delphi. If I am not mistaken, these were all women.

Sophocles wrote about the drama, in form of plays. They are really fascinating to study.

I read tarot cards for years. I've read tarot cards for people I've never met before (online). I've read tarot cards for workers. I've read tarot cards for friends. I've read tarot cards for family members.

Sometimes you read them accurately and you can give some helpful advice and sometimes you don't. I don't have an answer as to why there is such a hit and miss but you do have as much of a chance to fail as you do to succeed.

I could give you a long list of examples of readings I gave and information I provided that I wouldn't have known, but it won't mean anything.

Basically, what it comes down to is you either believe or your don't believe. It's very difficult to convince a disbeliever with debate. It's something you have to experience firsthand and something you have to accept.

IhavenoFREAKINclue

How come psychics don't know lottery numbers?

If you had the winning lottery numbers, would you advertise that information?

Maybe the real “psychics” know but are smart enough to cash in quietly.

Maybe they seek rewards elsewhere

d’Arthez

At first it seems fairly simply, but it is not. Chess theory in some variations of the King's Indians defense or the Sveshnikov or Dragon variations of the Sicilian defense can be as long as 20+ moves by each player, to get to the real starting position of the fight. These positions are often considered even, but highly unbalanced.

You are still describing templates.

If a stalemate or a victory can be guaranteed in 15 moves or less, then you only need to know the templates making up to the 15 moves, and you will never lose. It is that simple.

Pocky

Sometimes you read them accurately and you can give some helpful advice and sometimes you don't. I don't have an answer as to why there is such a hit and miss but you do have as much of a chance to fail as you do to succeed.

Do you have feedback?

Input: How much information does the person provide you both verbal and nonverbal?

Feedback: How many questions do you ask and how many answers do you get?

Model: Is your assessment based on the gender, age, physical appearance, tone of voice, temperament, etc.? He appears to be a thinking introvert so he must have a male thinking introvert archetype.

Are you able to make predictions or assessments without Input from the person, without feedback, and without a model to work with?