Question to girls, Height vs being good looking

you_can_not_see_me

• Author
you_can_not_see_me
As a tall girl, i so not even notice shorter guys, nice faces or not.

I'd happily date an average looking guy who is taller.

ha the world must seem far less crowded to you then. :p

As a tall girl, i so not even notice shorter guys, nice faces or not.

I'd happily date an average looking guy who is taller.

Wow, thats pretty mean.

Can you imagine a guy,saying, "As a fit guy i don't even notice overweight women."

• Author
you_can_not_see_me
Wow, thats pretty mean.

Can you imagine a guy,saying, "As a fit guy i don't even notice overweight women."

I don't get why her personal preference/bias offends you. I really don't get why some men get so worked up about some weird preference some random girl has, its not like all girls share the same preference. What some random girl likes is really irrelevant.

• Like 1
I thought I used to care about height, but honestly, I really don't. I'm 5'3'' and dating someone only 2 inches taller than me. When we're together, I don't even notice that he's short.

I would take a short man with a good looking face any day.

There's plenty of ladies out there like this one, aren't there?

I don't get why her personal preference/bias offends you. I really don't get why some men get so worked up about some weird preference some random girl has, its not like all girls share the same preference. What some random girl likes is really irrelevant.

Try being a short guy who is almost instantly written off by most women just because of his height.

Try being a short guy who is almost instantly written off by most women just because of his height.

Try being Mickey Mouse. Can you imagine the difficulties he faces?

organizedchaos

Since short guys can get women, it's likely another reason they're being written off.

• Like 3
Since short guys can get women, it's likely another reason they're being written off.

I didn't say that short guys can't get women. it's just much harder.

Physical attraction is very important and odds are if a woman isn't physically attracted to a guy because of his height,she won't go on a date with him.

Also more women are simply more attracted to a guy being tall.

LoveRefreshed

I think they mistake it as a sign of masculinity.

Girls generally like to feel protected and girly, so they typically like a man who is tall or broad shouldered.

Typically, "tall" is perspective and since there are many women under 5'5", I think you are under no challenge if you range from that on up to 6'. Even if you're 5'2", there is a 4'8" woman out there somewhere.

I know a girl who chooses her partners off height, guess who is unhappy and single and always gets played?

• Like 1
lol, not really women also would prefer a guy wasn't overweight which is totally understandable, though admittedly I think overweight men might have it slightly easier.

I replied to Phoe in that way, not because of height or some resentment towards women, I did it just cause I think statements like that are essentially BS and dishonest. I can totally accept that not all women are hung up on height, in fact its what I have witnessed in real life. But to say that looks in general don't matter is untrue. If that statement were true, there would be no straight, lesbian, or bisexual women, all women would simply be pan sexual and be fine with having sex with any human. but the simple fact that people have preferences means that looks do matter when it comes to who you are attracted to and who you want to date.

perhaps what Phoe meant was that looks aren't the most important thing in choosing a partner and that other factors like personality and chemistry would also be a factor, But that isn't what she said, if that was her intention she failed to convey it properly.

I see points taken on the phoe thing im thinking miscommunication there but on a side note I myself like bigger guys the (teddy bear) type this doesn't mean I haven't dated small guys but its something ive always been attracted to sadly ive found most teddy bears dont want bigger gals myself being on the plus size.

So as I say I do think stuff like this swings both ways its not only women..alot of men gripe about height on here when indeed a women's weight is also a factor for alot of men. And im not talking about obese but when a women is a healthy size and men still want smaller..

It seams men can be as picky as they like yet women must fall at the feet of every man out there long as the guy feels they would be a good match..lol

markleymassraff

A man's face is more important to me in general, but there's still a limit for shortness. The shortest I am interested in...is about 5'6" (and I am 5'3".)

Ideal is a guy who is both tall and good-looking. The last few men I have been in relationships with have been both on the tall side and good-looking. (I define tall as 5'10" or taller, because of me being short.)

I'm with someone now who is 5'11" and handsome. I'm very, very happy with him...

kiss_andmakeup

Definitely the attractive medium-height guy. I'm 5'8 so I'd prefer if he was at least that, but I did date a 5'7-ish guy once upon a time and was quite attracted to him. My longest relationship, other than with my husband, was with a guy who was only an inch taller than me. Height has never been a super-important factor for me in the selection of a mate.

My husband is 6'4 and very handsome. This thread makes me feel like I've tamed a unicorn or something.

• Author
you_can_not_see_me
Medium height to me is average height aka 5'10'' so I'd take the attractive 5'10'' guy over a tall average looking guy.

Not really, medium entails a range, while average is a single number. So medium height would be a range of height that is not short or tall, what I personally would think at least in America is about 5'7 to 5'11. Average would just be adding up the height of every single man and dividing by the number of men.

Average doesn't even necessary show you the most typical male height, as it can be skews up or down if there are more extreme heights on the lower or higher range. As is typical height distributions, there are more super tall men than there are super short men, so average is typically skewed upwards a bit. Factor in much of height statistics being self reported and you will find that there are more men under average height than over it in reality.

so yeah this wall of text was just to clear up the difference between average and medium height.

Not really, medium entails a range, while average is a single number.

None of the definitions of medium I've seen state or suggest it entails a range. Medium is defined as "about halfway between two extremes of size or another quality; average." :confused:

Short is one extreme and tall is another extreme. So the medium would be average which hey is also in the definition.

I am about 5' 8" and a half..."average" height, I think.

There are some women who are absurdly obsessed with height. I understand everyone has preferences (for example, as a guy, I am not attracted to overweight women), and so, if I was simply not someone's ideal because of my height, it would not bother me, but some women are way over-the-top insulting with it. I have never been rude to any women that I am not attracted to, so I dont understand the need for them to be so rude about it. I had one woman tell me to my face, "There are only two types of guys...tall guys, and midgets. A tall guy is 6 ft tall or more, and a midget is anything under 6 feet tall. All midgets should be squashed like bugs" etc. I couldnt believe it, but she was serious about this. I have also run into this attitude a lot on OLD, where there is some weird hatred out there for shorter guys to which she is not attracted. Its irrational. I actually think this is some sort of reflection as to who these women are, as individuals, as opposed to being something within nature that says that shorter people should be viciously destroyed. The people who see the need to be rude like that, are probably extremely unhappy, ugly people on the inside and are generally frustrated and undate-able.

I was talking to a friend of mine, and she said that no one should settle, and I agree, but my take on it, is that I am attracted to a range of different types of women, whereas it seems some women want a very specific type of guy, and that guy has to be "tall".

I also tend to get a lot of wierd anger from "tall" guys...I think they are intimidated by my good looks and are threatened by my confidence...why try to pick on guys who are "shorter" unless you have a lot of insecurities?

Edited by 6Pack
  • Like 1
  • Author
you_can_not_see_me
None of the definitions of medium I've seen state or suggest it entails a range. Medium is defined as "about halfway between two extremes of size or another quality; average." :confused:

Short is one extreme and tall is another extreme. So the medium would be average which hey is also in the definition.

dude you are looking up dictionaries which relate to language convention. Often people use similar things interchangeably in language, doesn't mean they are the same exact thing.

At least in the mathematical and statistical sense, which is what height works with. Average is a single valuecalculated by adding up all data and dividing by the number data points. Average only corresponds to the middle of a distribution in perfectly Gaussian distributions. Height distribution is similar to Gaussian distributions, but its not a clean fit so average doesn't necessarily fall in the middle.

Median is the value right in the middle of a distribution and its very rare for average to coincide exactly with the average value. and it doesn't in height distributions.

Lastly, irrespective of how medium is used interchangeably in language. when talking about anything relating to statistics and numbers, medium is a range between two extremes, it is not a single value! Its not like everyone who is a millimeter shorter than 5'10 is short and anyone a millimeter above 5'10 is tall and only 5'10 exact is medium. That is an entirely wrong understanding of medium.

What someone assigns as medium is arbitrary of course, just as saying who is tall or short is arbitrary. But if you only regard a single height value as medium and all other heights as tall or short, it is really defeating the purpose of using the word medium.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2008/09/race-social-construction-height-example-3.jpg

Edited by you_can_not_see_me
  • Author
you_can_not_see_me

There are some women who are absurdly obsessed with height. I understand everyone has preferences (for example, as a guy, I am not attracted to overweight women), and so, if I was simply not someone's ideal because of my height, it would not bother me, but some women are way over-the-top insulting with it. I have never been rude to any women that I am not attracted to, so I dont understand the need for them to be so rude about it. I had one woman tell me to my face, "There are only two types of guys...tall guys, and midgets. A tall guy is 6 ft tall or more, and a midget is anything under 6 feet tall. All midgets should be squashed like bugs" etc. I couldnt believe it, but she was serious about this. I have also run into this attitude a lot on OLD, where there is some weird hatred out there for shorter guys to which she is not attracted. Its irrational. I actually think this is some sort of reflection as to who these women are, as individuals, as opposed to being something within nature that says that shorter people should be viciously destroyed. The people who see the need to be rude like that, are probably extremely unhappy, ugly people on the inside and are generally frustrated and undate-able.

I was talking to a friend of mine, and she said that no one should settle, and I agree, but my take on it, is that I am attracted to a range of different types of women, whereas it seems some women want a very specific type of guy, and that guy has to be "tall".

I also tend to get a lot of wierd anger from "tall" guys...I think they are intimidated by my good looks and are threatened by my confidence...why try to pick on guys who are "shorter" unless you have a lot of insecurities?

I don't want to participate in a hate circle about women and their height prerequisites, But I will say that on some level I think there is some weird social dynamic at work behind strict height requirements.

I think there is natural biological inclination in most mammalian females to be attracted to males who are larger than themselves, but I don't think the inclination is so great that all females are destined to go for taller/larger males, nah I think its just one factor in a multitude of factors that determine physical attraction.

With this in mind I think the extreme extent to which some women are ridged in their height preferences has more to with social pressure and conditioning than biological wiring. In simplistic terms I think some women care way too much how their pairing with a man might make them appear in front of their peers and that's what drives them to pair with only certain males. If no other women were around I suspect that a lot women would relax not only their height requirements, but also many other requirements they have for what they want in a guy.

Of course this is just my opinion and theory, and in no way do I want to demonize women who go for taller men.

I don't want to participate in a hate circle about women and their height prerequisites, But I will say that on some level I think there is some weird social dynamic at work behind strict height requirements.

I think there is natural biological inclination in most mammalian females to be attracted to males who are larger than themselves, but I don't think the inclination is so great that all females are destined to go for taller/larger males, nah I think its just one factor in a multitude of factors that determine physical attraction.

With this in mind I think the extreme extent to which some women are ridged in their height preferences has more to with social pressure and conditioning than biological wiring. In simplistic terms I think some women care way too much how their pairing with a man might make them appear in front of their peers and that's what drives them to pair with only certain males. If no other women were around I suspect that a lot women would relax not only their height requirements, but also many other requirements they have for what they want in a guy.

Of course this is just my opinion and theory, and in no way do I want to demonize women who go for taller men.

Well I didnt mean to sound like I was hating on women, nor demonizing; to the contrary, I was actually trying to describe a strange "hatred" that I have received occasionally, in both real life and in OLD. But yes, I agree, I think it is more of a social dynamic. And, again, I dont mind that I might not fit in to any particular person's preference or type (after all, I have preferences as well), but why be angry/hateful about it? It just seems erratic or odd.

So girls would you say a tall guy with average looking face is more attractive to you, or a guy of medium height but good looking face?

\

These things do not matter to me especially, either one.

I can't tell who i'd be more attracted to just based on those requirements.

To start off, I personally never had any height requirements for a mate. My #1 requirements had more to do about who a person was and personality vs. height/looks. I accepted OLD dates from men 5'2" to 6'5". I'm 5'3". My reasoning: I'm not physically perfect, they don't need to be either.

However... I feel that everyone naturally has personal preferences when it comes to physical traits they desire in partners. Men might gripe that women only go after tall men... but on the flip side there are plenty of men who only go out with thin women. I ran into this a ton when I started dating. I'm a size 12, chubbier than most girls my height. Do I HATE that most men prefer thinner women... NO! If they prefer someone slimmer than me, hey at least they wouldn't waste my time and move on after the first date. In the end it took some searching but my BF loves and appreciates me for who I am not because I fit certain physical parameters.

So short guys... for every gripe/complaint you have about women rejecting you, there are women out there that get passed over and would gladly date a short guy but don't get asked out because they aren't as conventionally pretty, or she's chubbier than the average woman... etc etc.

Some men might say "Well why should I lower my standards if I'm fit/good-looking and feel like I could date someone I'm more physically attracted to?"........Then don't! Keep searching and learn to let things roll off your shoulder. There are nasty women out there; if she remarks on your height to be cruel and callous... she's a b!tch and will end up unhappy in her life anyway. Be happy you dodged a bullet. However if she is nice about it and declines... remember she shouldn't have to lower their standards either if she has choices in the men she dates and prefers taller men. It goes both ways. Respect her choice and move on. Remember, it's not a requirement for all women, so keep searching.

• Like 1
  • Author
you_can_not_see_me
To start off, I personally never had any height requirements for a mate. My #1 requirements had more to do about who a person was and personality vs. height/looks. I accepted OLD dates from men 5'2" to 6'5". I'm 5'3". My reasoning: I'm not physically perfect, they don't need to be either.

However... I feel that everyone naturally has personal preferences when it comes to physical traits they desire in partners. Men might gripe that women only go after tall men... but on the flip side there are plenty of men who only go out with thin women. I ran into this a ton when I started dating. I'm a size 12, chubbier than most girls my height. Do I HATE that most men prefer thinner women... NO! If they prefer someone slimmer than me, hey at least they wouldn't waste my time and move on after the first date. In the end it took some searching but my BF loves and appreciates me for who I am not because I fit certain physical parameters.

So short guys... for every gripe/complaint you have about women rejecting you, there are women out there that get passed over and would gladly date a short guy but don't get asked out because they aren't as conventionally pretty, or she's chubbier than the average woman... etc etc.

Some men might say "Well why should I lower my standards if I'm fit/good-looking and feel like I could date someone I'm more physically attracted to?"........Then don't! Keep searching and learn to let things roll off your shoulder. There are nasty women out there; if she remarks on your height to be cruel and callous... she's a b!tch and will end up unhappy in her life anyway. Be happy you dodged a bullet. However if she is nice about it and declines... remember she shouldn't have to lower their standards either if she has choices in the men she dates and prefers taller men. It goes both ways. Respect her choice and move on. Remember, it's not a requirement for all women, so keep searching.

I agree with your general sentiment, BUT I don't think height preferences are analogous to weight preferences, for the obvious reason that weight can be changed and no one is born being overweight, while height is permanent (unless someone does some serious surgeries) and its genetic.

Whining about women's height preference won't help a guy of course, but I do legitimately think short men in the current dating world with its negative bias towards short men has them at a distinctly unfair disadvantage.

• Like 1

This. So much of this.

I have had so much grief over my height (5ft 8ins) on online dating that I've had to develop some pretty scathing comebacks.

For example:

"There are are two types of men - tall guys and midgets and midgets should be squashed like bugs."

Counter with:

"There are two types of women - and you're so not mine......eww.'

"Doesn't it bother you being so short?"

Counter with:

"No, just as it wouldn't bother me if you choked to death on your next meal."

"I'm taller than you in heels."

Counter with:

"Yeah, you're probably fatter than me in your bare feet, too."

And so on.....

• Author
you_can_not_see_me
This. So much of this.

I have had so much grief over my height (5ft 8ins) on online dating that I've had to develop some pretty scathing comebacks.

For example:

"There are are two types of men - tall guys and midgets and midgets should be squashed like bugs."

Counter with:

"There are two types of women - and you're so not mine......eww.'

"Doesn't it bother you being so short?"

Counter with:

"No, just as it wouldn't bother me if you choked to death on your next meal."

"I'm taller than you in heels."

Counter with:

"Yeah, you're probably fatter than me in your bare feet, too."

And so on.....

Girls really told you guys stuff like that???

I m only 5'9 and the only people who every told me I was short were my brothers and a couple friends as a joke to be funny. No woman has ever called me short, let alone in such a rude manner as you guys describe.