Chatty took an hour long lunch break then proceeded to come back to her desk and eat!

Mapper71 I remember you from ivillage message boards. You had these same issues (mother, fiance/husband, co-workers) ongoing for several years.

This is much different that just not speaking up because of little things, I get that you're a family feel atmosphere company BUT, this is extreme and her unprofessional attitude, her laziness IS affecting you way too much. Probably others too.

Either ALL of you together have a group meeting and politely talk to her, tell her the expectations she must follow and work harder, no personal stuff on company time and sort it out in a calm and mature/professional way, or just continue to suck it up and allow resentments to build up until one of you (probably you) loses it and blows up at her!

To not want to rock the boat in this situation and it IS extreme, is very passive of you all. Family atmosphere or not, she has to be dealt with accordingly.

I agree. At my company it is like a family as well, but even my boss said, business is still business and you're not immune to being fired if you are not performing your job. You and your coworkers NEED to confront a supervisor especially since everyone else notices this.

• Author
Mapper71 I remember you from ivillage message boards. You had these same issues (mother, fiance/husband, co-workers) ongoing for several years.

Yep...that's me!

• Like 1

isn't this like one of the many numerous posts you have posted about this person? i would imagine, at this point, that your dislike for her stems from something far greater than just her extended breaks and/or time away from her desk. you should really self-examine and identify why you are obsessed with her and how it benefits you. spending so much time obsessing on someone isn't mentally healthy and reflects more poorly upon you than anything you;re saying about her. it sounds like your job at the company is just watching over her. we all have crazy-take-advantage co-workers, but we don't all spend time monitoring them.

• Like 1
No, nobody delegates their work to someone else here! We all have duties and each one of us has a load of work and are responsible for our assigned books. The guy who's been here nearly 30 years does all his own stuff and asks for help occasionally when he is bogged down. I respect him very much. You SHOULD ask for help when you have a lot on your plate. Chatty just shoves her work in everyone else's faces because it cuts into her Facebook time! If anything, she should be looking over the work of the ones who haven't been here as long to make sure it's right but she can't even get her own stuff right as we saw from yesterday's debaucle!

Well, if you all have your own independent duties, then nothing she does has ANY bearing on your or getting your own job done. You can't be working very hard because you're monitoring her constantly even though her work has nothing to do with your work or your career or your success or failure!! Get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Author
Well, if you all have your own independent duties, then nothing she does has ANY bearing on your or getting your own job done. You can't be working very hard because you're monitoring her constantly even though her work has nothing to do with your work or your career or your success or failure!! Get a grip.

I'd love for you to be in my shoes for a week and deal with it. I betcha anything you'd be going ape **** by the end of it!

As far as me not working very hard? I just finished up a project that isn't due for another 2 weeks and will finishing up another one that isn't due for a week! AND I'm helping to review some other stuff that I don't even need to because I'm bored if I don't have anything to do. Yep...not working at all! I've always been a great multi-tasker who gets their work done faster than most people!

Edited by Mapper71
I'd love for you to be in my shoes for a week and deal with it. I betcha anything you'd be going ape **** by the end of it!

As far as me not working very hard? I just finished up a project that isn't due for another 2 weeks and will finishing up another one that isn't due for a week! AND I'm helping to review some other stuff that I don't even need to because I'm bored if I don't have anything to do. Yep...not working at all! I've always been a great multi-tasker who gets their work done faster than most people!

I would be talking to my co workers to try to come up with a solution about chatty Cathy and get that resolved. She's making the work place toxic and causing resentment because you and your co workers are too passive and scared to do something to change things. Again, that's ALL on you and your co workers.

I wouldn't put up with that, if she didn't change, I'd demand to be moved to another area so she wouldn't be next to me while working. I wouldn't have let this go on and on and on like you have.

• Like 1
  • Author
I would be talking to my co workers to try to come up with a solution about chatty Cathy and get that resolved. She's making the work place toxic and causing resentment because you and your co workers are too passive and scared to do something to change things. Again, that's ALL on you and your co workers.

I wouldn't put up with that, if she didn't change, I'd demand to be moved to another area so she wouldn't be next to me while working. I wouldn't have let this go on and on and on like you have.

Like I said, we're in a small house so no matter where you move to in the house you are going to have to listen to her. Her voice carries quite far!

Mapper, no one is criticizing you, but if it really is that horrible, you really need to do something about it besides posting on forums. You really only have a few options...ignore her and go about your business or confront a supervisor about the issue. Choose one.

• Like 2
Like I said, we're in a small house so no matter where you move to in the house you are going to have to listen to her. Her voice carries quite far!

Since it seems she does absolutely no work, then maybe if the person actually 'in charge' could talk to her and give her a chance to improve. If she doesn't, then another warning. And after that it's bye bye, find another job.