I'm back to complain about Chatty Cathy!!

So clearly you are hyper aware of her and what she is doing. It is not healthy. The amount of time you spend obsessing about what she is doing.

You need to wither deal with it, quit, or move your desk.

At least she is not talking/.

• Like 5
So clearly you are hyper aware of her and what she is doing. It is not healthy. The amount of time you spend obsessing about what she is doing.

You need to wither deal with it, quit, or move your desk.

At least she is not talking/.

Seriously. I've been reading the OPs threads about this lady and I'm starting to wonder who's the problem in this situation.

OP, you come across as absolutely obsessed. Why does she bother you so much, even when she is not talking? (which was your original complaint)

If I were you, I'd have my desk moved, or get some earbuds and play music from my phone.

• Like 2
  • Author
I think you should start posting most of your threads in the Personal Rants and Confessions forum.

Or did you want some advice?

I'd LOVE to post there! However, I don't see that as a forum option here.

• Author
Seriously. I've been reading the OPs threads about this lady and I'm starting to wonder who's the problem in this situation.

OP, you come across as absolutely obsessed. Why does she bother you so much, even when she is not talking? (which was your original complaint)

If I were you, I'd have my desk moved, or get some earbuds and play music from my phone.

Oh I'm sorry. I'm sure you'd be absolutely thrilled to be sitting next to her instead! You can't tune every single person in this world out.

skydiveaddict
Oh I'm sorry. I'm sure you'd be absolutely thrilled to be sitting next to her instead! You can't tune every single person in this world out.

I agree. It would annoy me as well. Luckily I work in a noisy environment.

Everyone wears hearing protection and you can't hear ****.

I wish that you would write a comic strip about your life at work, and include this woman in it. It would be really funny. Seriously I enjoy reading these chatty cathy threads.

Oh, and it might make you feel better too. Whenever someone really annoys me I draw comic strips about them. I draw them with a big huge mouth and ugly clothes and make them say stupid things. It makes me feel much better. Try it!

• Like 2

It's like Dilbert but better! A "Chatty Cathy" comic strip in the Sunday paper would be awesome! The visuals based on this thread would be hilarious.

• Like 2
skydiveaddict

Oh, and it might make you feel better too. Whenever someone really annoys me I draw comic strips about them. I draw them with a big huge mouth and ugly clothes and make them say stupid things. It makes me feel much better. Try it!

Really though, think about it. It would get annoying. I wouldn't like it either.

I bet it would get on your nerves after a while too.

I have first hand experience with exactly what Mapper is complaining about. A guy I used to sit next to at work would eats BOWLS of pistachios every day. This went on for two years. It's one of those things that you don't notice until you start focusing on it, and then it's the only thing you notice. It's also one of those things in a work environment that most people tune out without even thinking about. If you stop looking for things to annoy yourself, you won't be so hyper focused on these things that Chatty Cathy is doing. Or talk to someone if it's affecting your work. Bring it up to your boss that you are regularly distracted and ask what options you have.

Bring it up to your boss that you are regularly distracted and ask what options you have.

Mapper's already said he won't bring up Chatty Cathy to his boss though. So he's essentially cut off his nose to spite his face by complaining but choosing not to do anything about the situation. Time to create a comic strip...that would give you positive motivation.

Really though, think about it. It would get annoying. I wouldn't like it either.

I bet it would get on your nerves after a while too.

Yes, it would be annoying. Mapper has a funny way of describing it though. And since she's not willing to change anything, she may as well look for ways of venting her stress.

I just about lost it! A coworker from the main building brought in a bunch of pistachios and let everyone know we could help ourselves to them. Okay, MOST people would take a handful and eat them in a minute or two or sit in the kitchen and eat them. Not Chatty! She got a bowl out of our cupboard, went across the street to the main building and came back with a bowl filled to the brim with unshelled pistachios. Came back to her desk, which is 5 feet from mine, and for an HOUR sat and cracked and chomped on them. Now she just finished those and popped in a piece of gum and now is popping and cracking that! And this morning she ate an entire bowl of cereal at her desk while slurping and chomping on that!

Other people eat at their desk too, but they are certainly courteous about it. They eat soft foods or try and chew quietly. It almost seems like she purposely eats as loud as possible!

One of my biggest pet peeves is loud chewers, whether it be on food or chomping gum, cracking gum etc.. No way would I be able to sit and listen to someone eat like that for hours throughout the day. Really, I'd lose inside and then have to make a comment. Probably be thinking to myself "Jesus Christ, could you chew any louder wench?" and then go work elsewhere and tell someone why I wasn't working at my desk. I mean how do you tell the loud chomper "excuse me, but could you STFU and not make so much noise while you eat??!!" lol

• Like 2

Well, I wouldn't love sitting next to her, but I sure as heck wouldn't be in this forum making endless threads about her either.

I find that many people who are annoying don't KNOW that they're causing so much bother to other people. In fact, some of these behaviors that annoy you may be designed to get other people to like her, ie: talking excessively.

Just talk to her. Tell her that you find it difficult to concentrate when she makes so much noise, and make sure to point out exactly what you mean. If she's the kind of person I described above, that should take care of her.

• 2 weeks later...
Tullyseptember

Mapper it would appear we each have the other twin in co-workers! I thought my co-worker was the only one who did such things. Reading through this thread did provide insight into how I'm handling the situation. It appears to me that really I have and am the problem!

I've had several jobs in which co-workers could be agitating. Most of them did not know they were doing it on purpose; some did. Usually you have to say something. But in a close working environment, the last thing you want to do is cause friction. I guess your best bet is just vent about it here, look for another job, or picture another function in the company you would like to perform and set a goal to move into a new position (preferably higher up in the company which usually comes with a new, and better, office location).

You could also say something to management, but it's best to show how it is impacting your job performance. Such as how her screen is glaring and irritating your eyes. Something to that effect with a request to have a partition put up. You don't want it to look like the problem is just a personality issue. I also recommend you go to your manager with a solution (supervisors appreciate that). In terms of her making noise, there is nothing they can do about that. Some people are just noisy and loud.

One job, my desk was near the microwave. Literally, three times a week an employee would warm-up fish. For the rest of the day, my area smelled like fish. What annoyed me is this employee had her own office and a microwave in her office, which told me she knew it smelled but didn't care. Another employee would pop popcorn for a snack to help lose weight. Don't get me wrong, I like popcorn as much as the next person but it's like a eating a hot dog; once in a blue moon. After five days of the smell of burnt butter you get a little tired of it.

In other cases, I brought it up at meetings. I asked if we could set some new policies on what could and not be cooked at work. To me, some things should just not be cooked in a public microwave (she also didn't use the cover and the fish would explode in the microwave).

Another employee I shared an office with would play hip hop all day. I could barely tolerate it. I try to be open to other people's music because I listen to a style that annoys most people. The thing is I know it so I don't subject others. I simply asked the person to please use headphones and she complied.

One thing I have found in life, is there will always, and I mean always, be some annoying employee you have to interact with. If it's not this lady, it will be someone else. It never fails. Whether is an obnoxious person or a gossip they are always there. Sometimes I think it is a life test; other times I think it is just the statistical odds. This person will inevitability have some type of job security and never get fired or reprimanded. I could go on about another employee that would take 3 hour lunches to have sex with her boyfriend and leave me running the office. My solution was to not let it affect me, stay diligent, and only see the current job as temporary. I set a goal to eventually have my own private office someday. There were days it was so bad, I would draw my future office on paper and create a picture of it in my mind. After 10 years or so of putting up with a variety of office shenanigans I am finally at that point :)

I recommend seeing this situation as a testing ground and ability to hone in your ability to focus and build patience. Instead of being complacent and only at this job, set a goal to move up. When you have a long-term goal of moving up, and see current circumstances as temporary, trivial habits of people tend to not bother you as much. Good luck.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1