It seems like he's planning an exit strategy... [Updated]

aussietigerwolf

yeah... If a guy told me our relationship wasn't going to last past x date then it wouldn't last past him saying it.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author
married2school

So I debated updating this right after everything happened and decided against it...

Honestly, everything went as well as it could have, which came as a huge shock to me because I was preparing for the worst. Things never once got out of hand. He didn't refuse to answer anything. And when I laid out how I felt, how I thought I was being taken advantage of, and asked when he was planning on breaking up with me before graduation -- he actually broke down and started crying. I think he said something along the lines of, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I basically lied to both of us and used you." There were a couple of times that I said something that was particularly deep and spot on where he teared up too and thanked me for whatever it was I was saying. It did frustrate me at first that he saw this as good for him because he "can't be a good boyfriend and focus on med school too." Cause it's sort of just an excuse for an f'ed up view of commitment. Interestingly he failed the exam we took the morning before we had lunch and I broke up with him. And to my knowledge, he's only passed by the skin of his teeth on the others.

I heard from my mom a week or two later that my dad had said he doesn't see him getting married until his own mother dies. (Yeah, the mom issues are a big enough deal that my parents have noticed them I guess...)

We're still "friends" but very much in a limited contact sort of way. We're in the same classes, and I am on a leadership team for an interest group he started. It's very civil, but I usually only try to have interactions when other classmates are around or also involved in the conversation.

The night after I broke up with him, I ended up coming home and trying to watch 500 Days of Summer (awful idea). :laugh: I had to stop it because it was too much deja vu, but I finally finished it tonight. I haven't had too much of an issue getting over things... mainly because I think I knew it was eventually coming as soon as I would admit it all to myself. Since everything, I've spent more time with my friends, taken on bigger leadership and volunteering roles, and actually went on a first date last night. It's refreshing to not have all my energy going to trying to keep a failing relationship together because the other person won't end it.

I hate to sound sappy and say everything happens for a reason... but I did mature and grow a lot from our relationship. And I outgrew it in a lot of ways. I'm glad I did -- because anything that isn't growing and changing, is basically dead.

So yeah... That's the update. :bunny:

Thanks so much to so many of you who helped me reason through all of this and echo thoughts and feelings that I was experiencing.

• Like 2