Does anyone subscribe to Match?

FitChick

The "popularity" of dating sites is a bunch of BS. Online dating is not as popular as the media makes it seem. I'd say more than 85% of single and unattached men and 95% of single women do not use dating sites in a serious capacity, and most of them have few or no problems finding people to date. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

1) As other replies mentioned, there is significant userbase overlap between sites. Many people who do OLD are on multiple sites.

2) A large # of accounts are fake or spam accounts. This is true both for free and paid sites.

3) A lot of people who are on dating sites are on there just for fun and/or for attention; they aren't looking to actually meet anyone from the sites. Many of those people probably make fun of silly profiles with their friends and a solid number of them likely have significant others in real life.

I used to have much more "success" with Match than any other site.

PoF was better than OKC, but Match trumped them all by far.

It also depends on where you live as well. I'm in a highly populated area.

But I seemed to get more first dates with Match than any of the other free sites.

• Like 1

I've been on all the sites, except the hookup apps and match is the best site. However, it's very unrealistic to expect to find love in three months. I started my subscription in Jan of 2013 and it kept going. You have to get on lots of dates and it does take time. You have to login daily, run a search weekly and change a thing or two in your profile weekly. The quality of people is higher than on the free sites, in average. But of course it's a mixed bag. If you are more concerned about money and expecting a big bang for your buck, then stick to the free sites.

I met my current boyfriend there and I met many other good men there, but definitely not an overnight thing or a miracle. Still need to put in the effort and the dating skills you aquiered. Just fewer broke, sleazy men to weed through.

With the moving thing, sounds complicated. I'd move first and then date.

• Like 1

I dont think that there is much additional benefit to a paid subscription dating site. There is a drawback however, that you end up trolling for leads and you end up stumbling into people who's subscriptions have lapsed and the website uses your attempt to contact them as an excuse to try to get them to renew.

Best success I have had in OLD was on Plenty of Fish. I met the women I dated for the longest on there, one I am still seeing on and off after 10 months and another keeps coming into and out of my life. Negatives are that women get hundreds or thousands of messages per day so you really have to time it - Sunday afternoon, on a rainy day, etc. so that you needle gets looked at in their haystack.

For sheer brutal efficiency of getting phone numbers Tinder leads the pack. The dates are pretty flakey though as you dont really know much about the person you are going on a date with. As you can only message or be messaged by someone who thinks your good looking, success comes in waves and it really needs a great picture. You dont want to get into back and forth instant messaging for long just nail the date ASAP and roll the dice.

OKCupid I've had some success with but I find the question matching system is a hindrance. Some of the questions are downright weird and some are totally irrelevant and the percentage scores might turn away quality leads. Women get inundated on this one like POF.

I tried Lavalife and got a subscription a few years back. Had a couple awkward dates and ended up in a complete personal Jerry Springer episode complete with a married woman, the husband, three kids and a scam pregancy. They also kept billing my card after I cancelled my account and were insanely difficult to contact to get this problem reversed. Total waste of money.

I've known some people who use eHarmony. They are all fat women. I have heard from several guys who tried it that it is filled with fat women. I have no idea how the interface works or whether women are inundated like other sites. Seems to me that it appeals to ugly people who are trying to match based on almost anything other than physical attraction. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have a friend who is into Match.com, he is always trolling on there. Only problem is, he never buys the account. Saw some gorgeous women on there, but not any hotter than what I see regularly on Tinder.

I'd say forget the pay sites and just stick with the three top free ones - Tinder, OKC and POF.

She's a woman, so I don't think she cares that eharmony is filled with fat women. Eharmony is not good though. Their much too rigid matching system leaves you with few options and they don't really take into account your preferences. I barely got any dates from there. Very few and many matches outside my geographical area.

POF and OKC are "filled' with men trolling for sex.

Less men trolling for sex on match, although of course some are there too. But those will not bother to necessarily pay for match when they can troll for sex on the free sites. Match has the most flexible search engine that allows you the most options and the most control and a lot of the men who are not serious or have financial problems are not there.

When they like your photo, or show interest (means they clicked "interested")...many times they're waiting for you to like them back and then they'll message you. But in my experience those who write messages are more interested because it's harder to write emails and much easier to click "like".

The "popularity" of dating sites is a bunch of BS. Online dating is not as popular as the media makes it seem. I'd say more than 85% of single and unattached men and 95% of single women do not use dating sites in a serious capacity, and most of them have few or no problems finding people to date. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

1) As other replies mentioned, there is significant userbase overlap between sites. Many people who do OLD are on multiple sites.

2) A large # of accounts are fake or spam accounts. This is true both for free and paid sites.

3) A lot of people who are on dating sites are on there just for fun and/or for attention; they aren't looking to actually meet anyone from the sites. Many of those people probably make fun of silly profiles with their friends and a solid number of them likely have significant others in real life.

Just about everyone I know who is/was over 28 has done/is doing OLD.

I would seriously never have had a date without OLD. In my time living back in these parts (since 93) I have had 4 people approach me. One while I was married (the gent didn't know I was married...just someone I knew from the gym) and the other two post marriage. One random at a bar, one dude from work and I gent I did date out-of-state. So that's 4 people in 21 years....yeah, I don't need OLD :)

• Author
When they like your photo, or show interest (means they clicked "interested")...many times they're waiting for you to like them back and then they'll message you.

Which you can't do unless you subscribe. I may just have to pay for a month and then set aside at least an hour per day to shovel through the mess.

For the naysayers, I got engaged to someone I met on a dating website years ago and also have had a few boyfriends, all attractive, educated, successful professionals. Two of my bosses over the years met their spouses online. All were successful professionals who didn't have the time to date. They were long distance, too.

I always change my location so men who don't want to look more than 20 miles away, for example, will spot me and they've been known to change their minds.

• Like 1
Which you can't do unless you subscribe. I may just have to pay for a month and then set aside at least an hour per day to shovel through the mess.

For the naysayers, I got engaged to someone I met on a dating website years ago and also have had a few boyfriends, all attractive, educated, successful professionals. Two of my bosses over the years met their spouses online. All were successful professionals who didn't have the time to date. They were long distance, too.

I always change my location so men who don't want to look more than 20 miles away, for example, will spot me and they've been known to change their minds.

So how did that turn out for you and all these people you speak of? I think you just admitted here that you lie online i.e. not being honest about your location

Kid_Charlemange

I would seriously never have had a date without OLD. In my time living back in these parts (since 93) I have had 4 people approach me. One while I was married (the gent didn't know I was married...just someone I knew from the gym) and the other two post marriage. One random at a bar, one dude from work and I gent I did date out-of-state. So that's 4 people in 21 years....yeah, I don't need OLD :)

You've beaten my record!

I met my first wife in college, before any of us even had email addresses, let alone the world wide web. After we split, I dated a few women on OLD, and wound up marrying one of them. When she died a few years ago, I dated a woman I'd actually know for a while IRL. After that ended, it's been almost all OLD. Two IRLS dates, but one was an ex from ten years ago -- whom I met online!

So yeah, no OLD, no dates for Kid C. The exception being my ex wife, who broke my heart by leaving me for another man 14 years ago, and my last ex from LTR, who broke my heart last year by cheating on me.

Hmmm...

• Author
So how did that turn out for you and all these people you speak of? I think you just admitted here that you lie online i.e. not being honest about your location

Turned out better than most people who date in real life. Oh, wait. I forgot that when you date in real life you marry everyone and live happily ever after.

• Like 1
Turned out better than most people who date in real life. Oh, wait. I forgot that when you date in real life you marry everyone and live happily ever after.

Really.....you made Match sound like the best of the best in your plug that's all. Sent you a message...I guess not eh

Fine

• Author
Really.....you made Match sound like the best of the best in your plug that's all. Sent you a message...I guess not eh

I never said Match was the best. If you read my posts I've said I had problems with it.

Thanks for the invite to Toronto but it's much too cold.

• Like 1

Funny, there's this one woman in my local area. Actually doesn't look like the kind of woman you'd see in a Green Acres kind of town. Dolled up, 40-something with botox lips, etc.

Before, she said in her profile that once her daughter graduates high school...she's out of here.

A year later, she's taken that off her profile. Then....a week later, she updates it again saying "She's skippin' town".

Funny, like in "It's A Wonderful Life", she keeps coming back to Bedford Falls.lol

If I put down my current location I will hear from men who live here and I have no interest in staying here. No point in getting involved.

I could do a search out of state and wink or whatever I need to do (have to see how that works) so if they are interested they will send me an email. Then it might be worth subscribing. Some guy from Syracuse is interested but who the hell wants to live in Syracuse? Also someone from Lakeway TX which is outside Austin and upper middle class but it doesn't look that appealing to me from google pics. I could always convince him to move later. Wiki says most people are married there so maybe this guy is desperate!

Except, now that I think of it, they will be in the same boat I am in that if they aren't subscribed they won't be able to see who winked. I'm beginning to think this is an exercise in futility.

and a solid number of them likely have significant others in real life.

This kind of reminds me of online dating. I'm noticing a trend in women with sig. others going to speed dating events because it's "Fun."

Quite lame. Obviously, they have no respect for their sig. others.

• Author

Signed up for three months which will take me to the end of the year. Read the messages I got and it wasn't even close. One guy was a widower and he and his boys looked like the Osmond Family wearing Christmas sweaters. :eek: Another guy was 71. Another guy was bald. All were totally boring. "I like doing new things but sometimes like doing other things I've done before..."

It's gonna be a loooong three months.

All the best FitChick! I was in Match for a short time and had success, but OLD may not work for everyone (just like everything else in life!) It all depends on timing and the pool of people.

Keep us updated on the OLD journey ok, I'm keen to know your progress! :bunny:

• Author

I'm a visual person and cannot stand the clutter of the Match.com pages. Gives me a headache! How can I close those annoying popups for people who want to chat? No little "X" to close them. Also, is it possible to keep profiles from repeatedly appearing or do you have to pay extra?

I'm a visual person and cannot stand the clutter of the Match.com pages. Gives me a headache! How can I close those annoying popups for people who want to chat? No little "X" to close them. Also, is it possible to keep profiles from repeatedly appearing or do you have to pay extra?

Get off the web site FARCE and just go MEET people. I find far more success when I meet people than I ever did on dating sites (which I haven't used in many years).

The only way to show people how GREAT you are is to show them in person. People on dating sites can hide a lot and put out a false presentation. In person, that doesn't lie.

I have been on/off POF for most of the year. Anytime I create a profile I'll get a lot of messages from various guys, but most are not what I am looking for. I've been out with at least a dozen guys, some on multiple dates from this sight, but no relationship except for 1 that lasted about 3 months and I found out he was cheating on me after it ended. I've met some decently nice guys, but most seem to have baggage / just broke up / etc...

I signed up for match right at 6 months ago. From the beginning, I had very little success on this site. Very few guys (other than extremely old) messaged me (very different from POF). I think I ended up going out with a total of 3 guys from here. However, the last guy I met, I've been currently talking/dating for a couple of months. We agreed to be exclusive this weekend and I am very happy and see a potential future. So even though I had little success in terms of quantity on match, I did meet my current guy there.

Oh - I will say that most guys (but not the one I'm currently dating) that were on match also had a POF account.

In the end, I think it is chance on if you meet someone despite the website you choose.

• Like 1
  • Author

What the hell is this? Got it from a woman on Match:

"My friend Ricardo who isn't into internet dating came across your profile through my account Last night and he's been all over me about getting in touch with you, he said you seem like a woman whom has found balance in all aspect of Life which is a hard thing to come by these days. He's 5'11' tall, 56years old, a good Listener, Good Looking and all rounded a complete Guy, I didn’t tell him i was going to contact you, but thought i take a chance, you never know until you try, it might be worth it in the end. He lives in Albert Texas, so take a chance and e-mail him, he’ll share a picture and more information with you, his direct e-mail addy is ricardo241 at _______, Hope you can decode that lol as the site wouldn't let it go through directly.

One thing i can assure you is you'll brighten his day if you do get in touch with him, Have a wonderful day and thank me Later."

Sounds like a scam to get my personal email address. What do you think? Anyone want to email this guy and find out? I'll PM you the rest of his address.

Scam, Fit. Utter nonsense. But i can write to him under the guise of `busty Brenda`.

Seriously though, a scam.

What the hell is this? Got it from a woman on Match:

"My friend Ricardo who isn't into internet dating came across your profile through my account Last night and he's been all over me about getting in touch with you, he said you seem like a woman whom has found balance in all aspect of Life which is a hard thing to come by these days. He's 5'11' tall, 56years old, a good Listener, Good Looking and all rounded a complete Guy, I didn’t tell him i was going to contact you, but thought i take a chance, you never know until you try, it might be worth it in the end. He lives in Albert Texas, so take a chance and e-mail him, he’ll share a picture and more information with you, his direct e-mail addy is ricardo241 at _______, Hope you can decode that lol as the site wouldn't let it go through directly.

One thing i can assure you is you'll brighten his day if you do get in touch with him, Have a wonderful day and thank me Later."

Sounds like a scam to get my personal email address. What do you think? Anyone want to email this guy and find out? I'll PM you the rest of his address.

• Like 2