Feeling Like You Could Nail The Interview If You Had Your Time Over?

Do you think it could be a good thing that I sincerely don't believe any of my interviews will actually amount to anything further than the interview??

No.

Ever heard of a self full filling prophecy?

You should always go in believing you have every chance of getting the job.

Going in believing you won't get it could be giving off negative vibes or vibes that you aren't taking the interview seriously enough.

• Author
No.

Ever heard of a self full filling prophecy?

You should always go in believing you have every chance of getting the job.

Going in believing you won't get it could be giving off negative vibes or vibes that you aren't taking the interview seriously enough.

I always think there is a chance and I always go in thinking I am the best person for the job.

It is only after I leave that I do not expect a call from them.

The shoe guy didn't givee a time line at all. Just said goodbye.. That it was so nice to meet me.

I tried to ask what would happen but was met with a " I'll contact you your referees and get back to you"

My references were not contacted so once again, some ******* has came along and taken the job away for me. Probably one of those people who just " gets jobs " Due to being more likeable to managers than me.

You don't even know if his rounds of interviews are over yet.

He probably hasn't had any time to contact referees.

At the times when I have recruited pretty much all of the work behind it had to be done in my own time as I still had a full time role to do as well.

I arranged work experience for a quiet night for profit neighbourhood centre. To carry out their admin duties.

I was let go after two days. They told the recruiter that I was too passionate about the role and too ambitious.

Like wtf. I turned up early. I dressed more professionally than all of them. And they let me go without even having the balls to explain why??????

The recruiter said " they felt that they would not have enough things for you to do"

" they want someone a bit slower basically "

WTF. So yeah, that's what happens when I get up early two days a week, show up early for work, dress.professionally, and take orders well. Members at the community centre came up to the desk and praised me. They all said I was such a nice girl and they told theorise working there that they liked me there.

So yeah I cannot even find someone that is willing to let me get bloody free experience.

'Too passionate and ambitious' is not at all about turning up early or how you dress.

It's about what you are 'saying' while you are there.

If someone came along to do admin duties for me and then started talking about moving up within the company straight away or suggesting procedural changes then I would likely let them go too knowing that the opening I had was just admin duties and that I wouldn't be able to offer the positions they were wanting to get to.

It's a bit like when two people meet and one is over enthused and starts talking about the future by date #2. That will scare the other person off.

At the beginning of any job or at any interview it's important to focus on the actual job description you are given and match your talents to that.

Ambition is a good thing but if you go in thinking or saying you want to do this and that and are not focusing on the job description no one will think you actually want to do the job they are hiring for.

• Author
You don't even know if his rounds of interviews are over yet.

He probably hasn't had any time to contact referees.

At the times when I have recruited pretty much all of the work behind it had to be done in my own time as I still had a full time role to do as well.

'Too passionate and ambitious' is not at all about turning up early or how you dress.

It's about what you are 'saying' while you are there.

If someone came along to do admin duties for me and then started talking about moving up within the company straight away or suggesting procedural changes then I would likely let them go too knowing that the opening I had was just admin duties and that I wouldn't be able to offer the positions they were wanting to get to.

It's a bit like when two people meet and one is over enthused and starts talking about the future by date #2. That will scare the other person off.

At the beginning of any job or at any interview it's important to focus on the actual job description you are given and match your talents to that.

Ambition is a good thing but if you go in thinking or saying you want to do this and that and are not focusing on the job description no one will think you actually want to do the job they are hiring for.

You would let otherwise good workers go, knowing that may not have any way to earn a living?

I would personally talk to them first and warn them of my concerns, and give them a darn chance to keep a job.

I didn't talk about progressing, I talked about being excited about learning about admin.

Frankly, I dressed more professionally and was better spoken than most members there who were certainly not even trying to wear impeccable make up or present themselves well.

Yet yeah I am the one who turns up early, is impeccably presented, smiles, and the customers literally rave about lol and I am let go from a VOLUNTARY position!

I asked the recruiter to tell me the honest truth and she just kept saying that I did nothing wrong, but they are more wanting the usual types of people she puts through them... People on welfare who are forced to work for the dole. Where as I am doing online courses and am on Aus study and I am not forced to work for the dole.

If they told me I was rude or arrogant or SOMETHING, SOME reason, I would have felt happy knowing I could at least CHANGE something about myself!

They were so unprofessional too, they should have told me themselves that I wasn't the right fit, and they should have told me first thing, rather then letting me work there for free and wasting time on a venture were I was not welcome. I could have spent that time where they were sure I wasn't the right fit, looking for something else instead of straightening their flyers for one hour.

Surely, GemmaUK, you would have been professional enough to tell the person face to face or via phone rather then getting someone else to do your dirty work? And you would have given them honest feedback too, that would better their chances of landing a job one day?

Just saying what I would do and what I deem as more professional.

You would let otherwise good workers go, knowing that may not have any way to earn a living?

Yes, I needed what was best for the business and someone who could get on and do the job.

I would personally talk to them first and warn them of my concerns, and give them a darn chance to keep a job.

Sometimes and especially at entry level we need someone who will just do the job at hand.

I have actually done both, just let people go and also spoken with them about concerns. Sometimes a chat will work out and sometimes it doesn't. In the situations I had it was staff members who had to keep asking the same questions over and over and also those who chose not to ask the questions but then got a task wrong almost every time. Which meant I had to first find it, then ask that they correct it and ensure they knew what to do for the next time.

Often though they would consistently make the same mistake so I was consistently finding mistakes and then once I'd told a person several times what to do I would figure they didn't understand and I would end up having to correct it all myself - so it would have been easier to stay there in the office until 10pm and work weekends to do the job myself rather than paying an extra salary.

We needed someone to efficiently carry tasks out - which is why we were hiring. If they were consistently unable to carry out those tasks with instruction using various different approaches then all of the other work would become backlogged - and it already was backlogged due to needing a new member of staff who could do the job.

These were just my own personal experiences though -but show some of the reasons why sometimes we just could not spare the time and re-training time to get that person to do what we needed them to.

I didn't talk about progressing, I talked about being excited about learning about admin.

Admin really isn't exciting. It's all of the things a company 'has to do'.

Perhaps tone down the 'excitement' word to 'interested' or 'keen to learn' and keep that just for an interview, not for when you are in that role. Most all of us actually do have admin experience as we all type, use the telephone, pay bills. All that you are missing is the way a company goes about doing these things - the procedures. Plus use of microsoft and any other databases a company uses - which I am sure you will pick up just fine! :)

FWIW - Writing notes is your way forward here on your first and any training session - it's crucial! I always write notes, get people to slow down and spend time at home making my notes legible to me.

I also, if using a computer ask if I can be the one using the keyboard and mouse and doing the input - it's a much faster way to learn rather than just watching someone.

I train people like this too - but I also 100% prefer that they go at snail speed first off and write notes that are idiot guide for themselves, clear and precise about each and every step. Every time they hit the enter or the OK button I will stop them and tell them to write it down if they haven't stopped to do so. That way they have their notes to guide them next time. If they have missed a bit out I'm happy to help.

Frankly, I dressed more professionally and was better spoken than most members there who were certainly not even trying to wear impeccable make up or present themselves well.

Yet yeah I am the one who turns up early, is impeccably presented, smiles, and the customers literally rave about lol and I am let go from a VOLUNTARY position!

OK.we keep going back to this. I will tell you what I do....not a thing has changed in what I do dress wise or for interviews in my 28 years of employment.

I got my first real job when I was 17. I wore a simple skirt and a simple blouse a pair of tights and a pair of flat shoes as I had to walk there.

Sometimes, since then I have worn trousers instead of the skirt and maybe a low heel pair of plain boots or kitten heels court shoes.

I have never worn a suit for an interview, nor a dress.

My theory behind this is 'this is what I will be wearing day in day out to work'.

It's perfectly acceptable and standard dress for someone who will be working in an office and not being on the road and visiting customers. For customer visits suits can be required and that 'immaculate' look in order to present a good, sharp and smart first impression by the ambassador for that company.

On my first day there I would checkout how everyone else was dressed and get an idea of what level they were at in the company/team.

If on day one I found that I stood out as being much better dressed than others there I would make sure I relaxed my attire to fit in.

I would gauge other people's attire and even ask questions like whether there was a dress down day, what was appropriate to wear for that (eg trainers might be a no no but jeans might be OK, were flip flops OK -that kind of thing.

Usually working in a closed environment attire can be a little more relaxed. I wouldn't want to go in in a power suit if I was going to be doing the filing.

I asked the recruiter to tell me the honest truth and she just kept saying that I did nothing wrong, but they are more wanting the usual types of people she puts through them... People on welfare who are forced to work for the dole. Where as I am doing online courses and am on Aus study and I am not forced to work for the dole.

If they told me I was rude or arrogant or SOMETHING, SOME reason, I would have felt happy knowing I could at least CHANGE something about myself!

They were so unprofessional too, they should have told me themselves that I wasn't the right fit, and they should have told me first thing, rather then letting me work there for free and wasting time on a venture were I was not welcome. I could have spent that time where they were sure I wasn't the right fit, looking for something else instead of straightening their flyers for one hour.

Surely, GemmaUK, you would have been professional enough to tell the person face to face or via phone rather then getting someone else to do your dirty work? And you would have given them honest feedback too, that would better their chances of landing a job one day?

Just saying what I would do and what I deem as more professional.

Perhaps they felt it awkward to speak to you or pinpoint something or they simply chose to let the feedback go via the recruiter as it is their job to give feedback. Recruiters often prefer to give feedback and would rather the employer didn't so they actually tell you not to say anything.

It isn't always down to the employer.

• Author

Just signing off,

Bed time.

Gemma UK - you have been amazing, I cannot thank you enough for your positive yet informative and realistic advice!

I honestly read your posts several times.

I am finding that here are plenty of new retail positions to apply for daily! So yeah, I am finding that I don't even need to re visit childcare, hospitality, telemarketing or the like as retail honestly has enough jobs to apply for daily.

I want to find something that fits into my Uni schedule next year not a quick fix for this year only that I'll have to quit due to the job being strictly full time and long term only.

I have applied for about 20 retail jobs that all came up tonight :)

I am happy I got in the day they put their adds up, this seems to be getting me interviews as it stands. I have two tomorrow!

A retail job in a clean store.. means a lot to me, a seemingly simple job would change my life - during college I would be able to work and save towards a future rather than put my earning potential on hold for the three years I study podiatry at college.

Wish me luck, I honestly feel that these interviews could be it for me, but in all likeliness, I am not that impressive since I never get jobs I interview for so far, and therefore these interviews tomorrow will be my chance to REFINE my prior interviews where I think I felt off, and get closer to getting a job.

I don't doubt I will be successful but, you know... I never expect it since it has never happened in a long time - success from an interview has evaded me for years.

Thanks again Gemma UK! I still think the volunteer organisation acted unprofessionally. They should have thanked me for my time at the very least and told the honest truth and given me feedback I could learn from.

I don't doubt I will be successful but, you know... I never expect it since it has never happened in a long time - success from an interview has evaded me for years.

I agree that going through some mock interviews and getting real feedback -- from objective people -- would be helpful for you. Your resume is obviously fine since you are getting the interviews, but something is going wrong for you during the interviews.

If you want to remedy the situation, you need to find out what it is. I don't care what your friends or strangers on a train or guys who you dated have said about your personality or how pleasant you are. You may be conducting yourself entirely differently during the interview than you do outside of an interview without even realizing it. If you aren't likeable during interviews, then maybe there are things you could do to fix that. If you are doing something that turns off interviewers, you can do something to fix that.

This is the entire purpose of mock interviews! I think it would do you a world of good.

• Like 1
  • Author
I agree that going through some mock interviews and getting real feedback -- from objective people -- would be helpful for you. Your resume is obviously fine since you are getting the interviews, but something is going wrong for you during the interviews.

If you want to remedy the situation, you need to find out what it is. I don't care what your friends or strangers on a train or guys who you dated have said about your personality or how pleasant you are. You may be conducting yourself entirely differently during the interview than you do outside of an interview without even realizing it. If you aren't likeable during interviews, then maybe there are things you could do to fix that. If you are doing something that turns off interviewers, you can do something to fix that.

This is the entire purpose of mock interviews! I think it would do you a world of good.

The scary thing is, I am not sure just how wrong interviews go. It could be really bad for all I know.....

I will definitely do mock interviews. I know a former recruiter next door who I am amiable with.

I will ask recruiters I know of and I will go to my local government funded agency if anyone there could do a mock interview. I am friendly with a girl there who always tries to help me. She always says how great I am and how capable she believes me to be. However, enough fluff, she needs to genuinely interview me since she has been a recruiter herself.

Mock interviews are a good idea and have been mentioned before in this thread so I will go about enacting that on Thursday as I am busy all day tomorrow with interviews and family gatherings where of course I wont admit that I am unemployed entirely - I will just say I work casually and need more work.

Although my Aunts cannot seem to find work so maybe I should just be honest. Two of my aunts, one is a HIGHLY experienced occupational therapist with YEARS in the industry, she could no longer find work and therefore has had to work in childcare.

She tried years for an occupational therapy job and she is such a bubbly, likable lady:(:bunny:

Then her sister was an accountant but after being a stay at home mum to a wealthy husband for years, after their divorce she had no shot. She was out of the work force for too long. Ample experience in accounting, well presented and pleasant.

Then the lawyer of the family has stopped getting lucrative fancy TV deals (she worked in some type of editing and programming law for a major TB station and earned a lot previously). SHE CANNOT. FIND. ANY. WORK.

So yeah, she is moving to New York as soon as she gets the chance to do so! No work in Aussie, SO many people will attest to this.

I am going to make it my mission to get to the bottom of my lacklustre interviews~!

Obviously researching the company, coming up with pre prepared answers to questions that are always asked, dressing well, being well spoken and trying to just be myself IS NOT working at all.

So I will just ask family, friends, whoever is keen to help!

Eternal Sunshine

Leigh - I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I am trying to help.

I can sort of see one thing where you may be going wrong. I have been on some interview panels and one of the things that interviewers HATE are inconsistencies. This may mean saying something that doesn't line up with your CV or contradicting yourself (the way you often do in your posts). They are quite harsh about this and rule out those candidates immideately. I can imagine this being even worse if you are nervous and speak fast. Their reasoning is that once they catch that, nothing you say can be trusted.

• Like 2

I thought you had gone to bed!

My pc has crashed 4 times writing this! Boo and gaaaah! :laugh:

Anyhoo...this is what I wrote...in response to you.

Good morning Leigh! :)

Happy Wednesday! I hope you slept well!

I'm going to answer that last part first and then get on to the rest.

I still think the volunteer organisation acted unprofessionally. They should have thanked me for my time at the very least and told the honest truth and given me feedback I could learn from.

The reason why I didn't agree with you when you wrote this before was for a few reasons.

I wanted to make a few points before agreeing with you and saying that yes I do agree with you. I think they were unprofessional. Moreso for not thanking you for your time....hmmm..less so ish (I'm divided on this) for not explaining personally to you why they let you go.

However, they did give the recruiter 'something' for us to go on. The expansion and interpretation of what the recruiter said to you can only happen when you tell people about it.

Every single one of us makes assumptions and interprets things differently. They may be right or wrong...but it is just another possibility and each possibility is relevant.

Being uber blunt here...they may just not have liked you. Not everyone likes everyone. AND....it's OK.

I wouldn't want to work for someone who really just didn't like me (actually I have twice and it was awful! Both were bullies, both were female and both made my life hell. One of them bullied everyone, the other one bullied just me..oh joy!).

On to why an employer won't necessarily speak up directly to us as employees:

It can be bloody awkward!

It can personally offend someone and the least amount of drama we have at work the better - an employer doesn't know whether or not someone is going to take a critique very personally or not.

Yes it is unprofessional too - but employers are 'just people' too at the end of the day.

So...I was unprofessional and I was a coward.

That person who worked for me and I kept showing her how to do things? Her name was Denise.

We were both about the same as as you and we had known each other since we were 4 years old.

We had been fairly close friends on and off through school. No falling outs just a change of class and people we mixed with.

She was doing a book keeping course and wanted some experience.

I was running the show on my own with back up from my finance director at the time and between us we just couldn't cope.

Denise came up as a temp option part time and both me and the FD chose her.

She had zero experience on a computer. Totally zero. Most people didn't have the internet back then at home either. I certainly didn't!

She did try, I know she did. I also really tried to get her to write notes but she just never did.

She would also start talking about random things like her hubby or her children while I was showing her how to do something. Her focus would not linger on the work and it was hard to steer her back to a work frame of mind - really hard! We would spend half an hour or an hour with me re-showing her how to do something and trying to make sure she understood the importance of ticking that box on screen if an invoice had tax on it.(if we clicked on the box it would work out the tax and put it straight into the right place on our finance system. If we didn't then we could easily miss that there was £3000 in tax on that invoice which we could as a company claim back from the taxman. hundre

I was doing the accounts for both the UK and for our South African enterprise at the time. Our tax reclaim happened every three months and picking up one (but it was actually more like forty problems the same as this) needle in a haystack of hundreds of invoices over that time period was impossible.

As well as that she would also do the complete reverse and she would tick that box when we weren't being charged tax.

As a company, that means that we could have been fined for tax fraud. :eek:

So, I spoke to my FD about it. He felt as awkward as me. We gave it one more go..for a month (a total of six months) and ..it still wasn't working.

In the end he took the reigns and let her go telling her that we had found someone who could do full time hours so could take on extra work.

We actually got another temp in on part time hours. He had very limited computer experience, zero accounts experience and he picked it up really quick, wrote notes and took on extra responsibilities.

Things are not always cut and dried and employers are not perfect either.

But....all of us get that same treatment. For jobs that I didn't get I never got any feedback.

One more small story:

I worked at a little pub for a year when I was 16 doing food. I resigned as I had got my full time job. When I left I picked up my pay packet as usual from the office desk but there was no 'sorry, we'll miss you card' and no sign of the owners. I just picked up my pay pack, walked out through the bar and said goodbye to the two staff there who hadn't even been told I was going. We had been too busy that day for chit chat.I should have told them I was leaving and I didn't.

I assumed word would spread that I was going. I assumed wrongly.

From that day to this I take it as 'my' responsibility to let people know that I'm leaving a company or that it's soon to be my birthday. And that is OK too :)

Gemma UK - you have been amazing, I cannot thank you enough for your positive yet informative and realistic advice!

I'm just trying to fathom this one last bit for you..cos it's...a PITA for you - but that means that trying to fathom it requires questioning and picking things apart and laying out what sounds obvious sometimes.

I've said things and suggested things which you have come right back and know all about.

Something is a barrier so we need to find that barrier.

That means teamwork between you and those on this forum.

With teamwork comes the good. the bad and the bloomin' obvious! :D

I am finding that here are plenty of new retail positions to apply for daily! So yeah, I am finding that I don't even need to re visit childcare, hospitality, telemarketing or the like as retail honestly has enough jobs to apply for daily.

I want to find something that fits into my Uni schedule next year not a quick fix for this year only that I'll have to quit due to the job being strictly full time and long term only.

I have applied for about 20 retail jobs that all came up tonight :)

I am happy I got in the day they put their adds up, this seems to be getting me interviews as it stands. I have two tomorrow!

Yay! At all of this!

Being a hawk and one of the first to see a job is good.

You are also damn well determined! For that I can only praise you Leigh!

A retail job in a clean store.. means a lot to me

Leigh, what is a clean store? Is that like a show store? :laugh:

(yes I am taking the 'p'!! :))

, a seemingly simple job would change my life - during college I would be able to work and save towards a future rather than put my earning potential on hold for the three years I study podiatry at college.

No, it would do more than that. It would raise your self esteem, teach you more about the working world as it is now and more importantly show you that a job is a job...there's good and bad...but that is life! Unless we all win the lotto!

Wish me luck,

All the very best ofluck for today - but I would have said that anyway. :)

I honestly feel that these interviews could be it for me, but in all likeliness, I am not that impressive since I never get jobs I interview for so far, [.quote]

Shush! Ditch this!

and therefore these interviews tomorrow will be my chance to REFINE my prior interviews where I think I felt off, and get closer to getting a job.

That is what is important...REFINING!

We all do this! We all do this anytime we have interviews!

Breathe...see how it goes...see how you feel about the place and the people as well as the other way around and report back, let us know what happened.

A last few bits:

Brush your hair before you go in the building.

Don't glam up too much. Plain is more attractive than glam for a job.

Spritz a little perfume. Don't spray any more than three quick sprays. One on each side of your neck and one wrist and use the perfume there tospreadit to your other wrist.

Focus on the job description and have a copy of it with you so that you can make sure you understand their wording of it. Don't worry at all ifyou don't understand something, just ask.

II have had recruiters for finance read me a job desc and at the end I said 'so what does any of that mean?' the recruiter said 'I don't actually know but I thought you might as you have worked in finance already!':laugh:

She called the company to ask what the wording meant...turned out I didn't want the job once she found out and told me what was involved ..they had poshed it up with words and the job would have been a real bore!

Wear comfy shoes.

Don't open your eyes way too wide nor be over the top in love with the role/store.

If they ask you how you are on a till..say you are fine as long as you can holler to someone when you have a queue of six people and you have to void something for the first time (because we all freak when that happens!!! :laugh:)....and it shows that you don't think you are perfect and that you are human..just like the rest of us! :)

All the very best Leigh! :) x

• Like 1
The scary thing is, I am not sure just how wrong interviews go. It could be really bad for all I know.....

That is why we are all trying to get details out of you..so we can help you pick it apart and put it back together.

I will definitely do mock interviews. I know a former recruiter next door who I am amiable with.[.quote] use this ex recruiter rather than the one who likes you for mock interviews. They will be less biased.

Although my Aunts cannot seem to find work

They are all older than you.

You are in different leagues job wise. Also what they do for a living may be overpopulated in Aus.

My brother...I've told you a wee bit about him. He is a teacher..in Queensland and loves it..only did all the studying for teaching in his late 30's/early 40's.

He got a history degree back when he was 22 but at a Polytechnic wich was not seen as equal to a university.

He was a postman for a couple of years. worked for trading standards in London for a while was unemployed on and off for a long time some times and went back to being a postman.

When he was studying to be a teacher he had my wee niece to look after and my Dad was sick so me and my brother shared Dad's care.

When he got to Aus he could not find a job. Comparatively my sis in law had no problem finding work. 4 years before they had lived in Sydney for a couple of years and my sis in law worked under the report of the Mayor of Sydney in that time..how she wangled that we still don't know! :laugh:

My bro too his lack of employment on the chin and opted for all he could go for..I'm sure you know that that only option for new teachers is in the Bush.

It was 6 months with only one trip home to see my sis in law and niece.

He found himself in a village with one ramshackle street where alcohol was illegal.

...they made some seriously harsh and potent home brew there! He sampled it! Emphasis there on sampled...it was way too strong for my brother!

The school he worked in in the Bush. All new Aussie teachers have to go to the same kind of places. The reason is that the school picks you. you don't get a choice.

There's things I would not want to say about it. This was a very poor village.

It had villagers who didn't know better as they had always lived there (you can only learn when there is change - it's the same for us all)

One thing I have to say here is that I have an aboriginal friend Iaan I pronounced Yayan). I am no racist at all (my brother is so unracist he puts me to shame.

Me and my brother both love Aus!

One day. sometime, I would love to go there....love to!

So I will just ask family, friends, whoever is keen to help!

Do this! It's networking! :)

• Author

Sigh.

It's so upsetting going for interviews and never getting an offer.

Oh well I have an interview tomorrow at an optometry shop to be a retail assistant.

It's just so gut wrenching how it feels like everyone else just attends one or would interviews and then gets the job when you attend 20 plus interviews and don't get a single job.

I honestly feel like I'm not doing anything that awful. I don't believe I'm that bad at interviews. God willing, I have had so much practice.......

I am still positive that I'll get " that call" but honestly at this rate it feels like it could take a other year or more before I actually get the job.

I will definitely arrange mock interviews at this stage.

I'm quiet upset on a daily basis over getting interviews yet feeling like I'm never the one to get a job, despite preparing, giving clear and to the point a sword and generally trying my best to be pleasant and just myself.

I see people daily how work in retail and I strongly believe I am just as good as them...like, I believe I would give just as good service to customers.

I think I'm in for a long ride.

Sigh.

It's so upsetting going for interviews and never getting an offer.

Oh well I have an interview tomorrow at an optometry shop to be a retail assistant.

It's just so gut wrenching how it feels like everyone else just attends one or would interviews and then gets the job when you attend 20 plus interviews and don't get a single job.

I honestly feel like I'm not doing anything that awful. I don't believe I'm that bad at interviews. God willing, I have had so much practice.......

I am still positive that I'll get " that call" but honestly at this rate it feels like it could take a other year or more before I actually get the job.

I will definitely arrange mock interviews at this stage.

I'm quiet upset on a daily basis over getting interviews yet feeling like I'm never the one to get a job, despite preparing, giving clear and to the point a sword and generally trying my best to be pleasant and just myself.

I see people daily how work in retail and I strongly believe I am just as good as them...like, I believe I would give just as good service to customers.

I think I'm in for a long ride.

Pointing of swords is likely to be an issue :confused:

It's pretty obviously you're not interviewing as well as you think, otherwise, like you say, you'd have a job by now.

Look into some legitimate groups that can assist you with interview techniques. NOT friends or family, not even acquaintances. You need an unbiased opinion.

• Like 2
  • Author

I know I am obviously not a good interview, but I simply don't believe I am bad.

Plenty of non crappy interviewees don't get jobs.

• Author

Well, who can I find if not friends or family?

Should I politely call prior interviewers and ask them simply " look, I am not having any success with my interviews, may I please ask for some honest feedback as to how I can improve?

• Author

Job centres have not helped me.

They always say " great, you are fabulous, you interview just FINE, it is just a numbers game:lmao:"

LOL.

They are also too overworked with people who are destitute and need serious help that they don't have time for people like me are not "beyond help" or "hopeless"

I have tried reaching out for help at employment groups. Because I am an online student, they say " you are not on job seekers allowance so we cannot help you at all, sorry, it is against policy"

I didn't take no for an answer and found a woman willing to help but she is only available once day per week which is not always a time I am free due to constant interviews I seem to have.

She agreed to help me so I will spend one on one time with her when I can, but she is biased too as she "likes me" and just says how great I am also. Like WTF I am NOT great or I WOULD HAVE A JOB:lmao:

My mum is always willing to help me, she would pay for me to see a professional who makes a living in fixing peoples interviewing skills.

• Author
Are all 3 of those posts responses to me?

Anyway.. just Google 'interview coaching Sydney'. that brings up a few results.

I am just frustrated with the job centres, surely they can't quickly give you a mock interview and quickly determine " okay, you are not pleasant, you need to do this and this better"

I will check out the interview coaching, I hope they are legit and they are actually former recruiters themselves........

• Author

Isn't it normal for most people to have to go to up to 20 interviews before getting a job?

I hear a lot of people seemingly having no luck.

I mean, we cannot all be that perky, attractive person who is "inherently" likable?

I am just frustrated with the job centres, surely they can't quickly give you a mock interview and quickly determine " okay, you are not pleasant, you need to do this and this better"

I will check out the interview coaching, I hope they are legit and they are actually former recruiters themselves........

Well you don't really have another option here, do you?

What you are doing and who you've been speaking to clearly isn't doing you any favours. It's time to take a risk on the professionals.

Isn't it normal for most people to have to go to up to 20 interviews before getting a job?

I hear a lot of people seemingly having no luck.

I mean, we cannot all be that perky, attractive person who is "inherently" likable?

Interviews are not always about being '"inherently" likeable', they are also about skill, knowledge, presentation, communication... the list goes on.

• Author

I called a professional interview coach.

She charges 150 per HOUR:lmao:

She purports to have been working in recruitment for 25 years.

I am going to call around to ask about other prices.

She said my phone manner was great lol, but that she would be really honest with my in person interview skills.

She claims that for every ten interviews, I should have gotten two offers by this point:o

"normal" and competent people apparently get an offer every 4 interviews or so, and those who don't are, well, quiet frankly: off putting, unpleasant and undesirable to employers.

I called a professional interview coach.

She charges 150 per HOUR:lmao:

She purports to have been working in recruitment for 25 years.

I am going to call around to ask about other prices.

She said my phone manner was great lol, but that she would be really honest with my in person interview skills.

She claims that for every ten interviews, I should have gotten two offers by this point:o

"normal" and competent people apparently get an offer every 4 interviews or so, and those who don't are, well, quiet frankly: off putting, unpleasant and undesirable to employers.

All very true.

Call around to see if anyone offers lower prices, but if not it may well be worth trying to round up the cash to go see this lady. Do some research on her if you're unsure.

• Author

No she sounds very we outgoing and professional, someone I would trust for such a service. She runs coaching groups.

All places change 150 or more.

I spoke to another lady. It she spoke very slowly and I wasn't as impressed by her although she sounded nice.

I have an appointment on the week that I get paid. I'm seeing a professional interview coach.

She was even kind enough to tell me to call her tomorrow after my interview at the optimists place to tell her the questions and how I answered.

I really hope I can be helped. I always regarded myself as a pleasant and desirable enough person since I don't have trouble making friends with decent people and many guys told me that I had a desire demeanour hence the dating options.

I don't think inherently just an unpleasant person.

I just think I get too nervous at interviews to come off as competent and ideal for any given role........

I think.it's definitely as down to my nerves.

I'll find out in two weeks once I have my hour long interview skills session :)

I feel a but ashamed of myself that I have to resort to getting help when evryone else normally just goes to an interview or two and gets the job.

Surely there are perfectly pleasant and competent seeming people who just don't get jobs easily due to the job market?????????

I did not. But it depends on what you are interviewing for. If you are interviewing for jobs with a low barrier (no degree, no experience, no specific skills needed) then yes I would imagine people would go through that many. It's about supply and demand.

When does your college course start?

((HUGS)).

I mentioned breathing back a few pages ago so I've been to look up some descriptions for you which are way better than I can give. For each of these first two videos don't forget to let your breath back in before you speak.

These first two are similar and very quick ways to feel calm and release facial tension:

Your interview instructor lady said what was it....4 offers in each 10 or 20?

Hmmm....I think that is damn high for the job market as it stands where you are and in the UK for the kind of jobs you are going for.

That ex lodger of mine (and this is related to those that first video above). She must have gone on around 40 interviews over months after she quit the call centre.

She had done all kinds of roles, she could totally switch on a bright smiling facial expression and she was bright, smart, enthusiastic etc.

She did eventually get a job at the women's fitness centre but she had a tough time searching.

She ended up moving out (that is a whole other story) but I bumped into a neighbour friend of mine a few weeks after she left and he said something which could well be relevant to her lack of interview success.

He said to me 'She was scary! Every time I saw her she looked like she was about to murder someone!'

I know exactly the look he meant, it was actually her nerves showing through but it was actually nerves and her jaw clenched just like in that first video up there.

She got very very nervous before any interview and also before any date she had. She would need the toilet 6-8 times in the hour running up to either of those situations.

I have a set (awful looking) clenched up face look too and I regularly relax it.

For us ladies it's perfectly acceptable to dig a mirror out of our handbag when waiting for an interview- and you can check if your face is clenched and relax it and then remember that relaxed feeling in those muscles and keep doing it when you feel tense.

This video is longer but really interesting plus also really easy to use and put into practice:

While watching it I realised that I naturally do pretty much what the guy here is explaining before during and after interviews and first dates/meets.

When I am on the way to either I actually totally wipe out any thoughts about the situation I am about to be in. I avoid rehearsing, avoid thinking about the company (or guy), avoid any thoughts - because it calms me down.

I've been sitting here thinking about previous interviews and first dates and I have a vivid memory of the setting, a pot plant in reception, the man at the bar who served us, who else was in the same location, the weather that day and my journey to the interview or date.

If you watch the video you will understand why I have such vivid clear recollections of those things.

IF I do ever feel like nerves are getting the better of me I DO say so at interviews or dates. I make a joke of it. If I do something dumb like pull a door when it clearly states 'PUSH'. I laugh at myself and tell who I am with 'OK, try not to laugh...that was my interview nerves and I am clearly just unable to read today! Lol!'

OK, on to mock interviews.

No mock interview will ever promote in you the nervousness you feel at an actual interview. The absolute ONLY way that a mock interview could help with nerves is if you didn't know the interview was a mock interview.

Due to that any mock interview you will sail through - because you are not holding it in as high regard and as important as a real interview.

On the other hand breaking down exactly what happened after an interview is a better way to find out if it is nerves but to accurately break it down you need to think about the feelings you felt through that interview too.

I think that you sail through phone interviews because your mind doesn't have enough time and space in it to be nervous - when on a call the voice you hear is kinda getting right into your mind - it's fast and flowing and you don't have time for your mind to come up with all of the negatives (as in that third video).

Any of the things in those videos can be used at any time at all - even when you are at home watching tv - the more you do them in a day the more you will remember them and have them to fall back on.

Leigh, answer me a couple of questions.

Do you ever get nervous on dates?

Ever as nervous as when you go for an interview?

I bet that you don't but I want to know.