Mom gave me grief for trying to discipline her kid.

• Author
Some parents are total morons sorry to say that but im sick of being out and trying to shop or do something in public and having some slack ass parent out with their little bundles of joy screeching on top of their lungs!

While they continue shopping like they cant hear a thing..ive even seen a mom and grand mom ignore screaming kids..what ever happened to not taking unruly kids out in public?

Ive actually confronted the parents and half the time they just look stunned I don't think what you did was bad. And if my kid was acting up I would expect the same hell ide even thank you if you caut something I didn't.

Then again I wouldn't take them out if it was a bad day for them to that point..I would be embarrassed to all hell if my kid was acting like a rabid baboon in public tho its not that hard to teach manners..Sorry for the rant but this is my all time biggest pet peeve!

Absolutely agree with you.

I find it confusing as well as annoying at the same time. Confused because you would think that being taught good manners and respecting someone's personal space would be universal among parents considering how far humanity has grown socially as a species. Alas, it's not. Annoyed at the same time because there are times when I see kids who show blatant disregard, almost purposeful absence of manners and respect for elders and authority personnel.

I also understand that not all parents orchestrate the same disciplinary practices with their children. My hope is that the basic understanding of right and wrong is something the parents feel is a necessity in the upbringing.

You are so very right. It's not that hard to teach manners. It's the easiest thing to do and it's that much more rewarding when you see the same behaviour exhibited in the children you taught.

OP...I hear you, and if you think that is bad, I can tell you that it's no better when you end up with some people that have kid(s) from a previous relationship especially when they are girls

My ex had a daughter and always tried to make up for her dad not being in the picture, by allowing that girl to get away with everything. If this had been a boy, there would have been the likelihood of her letting me play a role....but that in the end was part of the reason I couldn't carry on. The girl who was a toddler at the time, is now an adult

I watch the make up, boys, drama phase materialize right in front of me....I'll never do that again, or advice anybody to take that on.

Unfortunately....It does not take a village to raise a child anymore, and these are the same parents that will have a go at teachers for disciplining their kids

When I see parents with kids who are out of control, especially somewhere like an office setting that is very kid unfriendly, and the parent may have no choice but to drag her kids along with her (and if it is a doctor's office, maybe the parent is feeling unwell), my first thought is to offer some help. Ask the parent if she needs a hand.

• Like 1

As a teacher, I don't think twice about speaking to a kid if they're getting out of control. I don't think of it as 'discipline', and it doesn't come across as discipline. It's just low-level intervention and steering the kid back onto the tracks. I've never had a parent say anything to me when such an intervention takes place.

It's all in how you handle it. If you're like an old man yelling at kids to get off your lawn, yeah....that doesn't work. But if you respectfully interact with the child on a level the child gets and make the child aware that they're pushing it, to be honest, 99.9% of the time, the parents don't even notice. And if they do, they tend to appreciate it.

Barking orders rarely works on strangers. Keep it simple and low-key. I would have just said 'Careful, dude'.