Who Followed Their Career Passions?

• Author
At my uni a lot a weird courses were offered under 'history'. It was great! :D

I'm training to be an air traffic controller. It's sort of job offered if you pass everything and pass the final check. It's 16 months of hard work in the college, which if you pass you go into final field training, and then you have to pass a check to be able to be a controller. The college alone has a high fail rate, so it's definitely a hard course. I knew what I was getting into, though :p Things seem to be going well so far!

You're in Aus? I know a few people in pharmacy. My friend was really lucky to get a contract with a local hospital. Someone had to move up north to be able to get work, and others are just working at chemists. I think there were quite a few people in the same class that have struggled to get any work. It's tough to get work these days, no matter what field you're in.

WOW. I find that VERY interesting!

I read up about air traffic controllers as it seemed like a fantastic career! Well paid, in demand, challenging.

I also understand that only a certain type of person can do it, and without a natural aptitude, you cannot simply "buy" a degree and get the job - they test you to see if you have natural ability!

What degree or course of study was required?

VERY interested in the career of an air traffic controller and their method of getting there!

Heard a funny story of air traffic controllers "gone wrong"; one controller made a plane circle around the airport unnecessarily cos he didn't like the pilot. I have heard a few funny things air traffic controllers have done regarding delaying landing times to prolong their lunch break, etc. Funny stuff, but not common, since it is incredibly hard just to pass all the tests and become an ATC to begin with......

What an exciting career though! Too much responsibility for me, personally!

My good friend is an air traffic controller. She works very reasonable hours for very decent money, has great job security, and seems to find the job pretty stimulating and enjoyable. :)

I've always wondered about that job...thanks!

• Like 1

Controllers are definitely in demand. There was a period of time where they weren't training anyone, so it's become an ageing workforce. So of course they want to train as many people as possible, but the testing during the application process is quite difficult, and most people don't make it past the testing process.

You so aptitude tests and they find the type of people that could do it.

The prerequisite to apply was any university degree (OR high school maths, science and English. I wasn't very interested in science in high school, so....)

• Like 1
  • Author

Ah. So controllers need a degree or high school math science and English.

I didn't do the math in high school but I enjoy math.

I would rather have a job that doesn't have as high of a chance of killing many people instantly. Some types of surgery and also air traffic controllers just scare me as a job since one wrong move and someone instantly dies.

Where as with engineering, you tend to work in a team so if that bridge collapses then you are not held directly responsible.

What's more, I am not sure if I have the academic capacity to.... Be able to put people's lives in my hands on a daily basis.

I scored in the top eight % of all year 12 high school leavers. However, I believe you need to be in the top one or two% of people in terms of your natural intellect in order to put lives in your hand.

I need something with less responsibility where I am less likely to directly kill someone.

I heard that air traffic controllers all love their jobs but it is very high stress. The pay would compensate I venture to guess.

• Like 1

The only last "passion" I have is weather systems and meteorology. Something I have obsessed over since I was a child, however, I know better than to pursue that because there is little work available in science unless you are a PHD level, which I would love to do once I am financially secure.

I can't really comment on the others, but I can on this one.

Future available jobs aside, meteorology/atmospheric science requires advanced physics and math - meaning courses like fluid mechanics, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and so on and on and on. Based on what you've said previously, it doesn't sound like you'd want to go this route.

• Author
I can't really comment on the others, but I can on this one.

Future available jobs aside, meteorology/atmospheric science requires advanced physics and math - meaning courses like fluid mechanics, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and so on and on and on. Based on what you've said previously, it doesn't sound like you'd want to go this route.

I enjoy math I just dropped it in year ten, rather than keeping at in until year 12.

But yes it is too late for me as I have other allied health careers I would also enjoy, and that have a high rate of employment and pay well, without math and physics.

Disillusioned

My late mother always wanted me to be a dumb menial---lifting heavy s*** and getting paid next to nothing. Apparently that's how one earns "heaven-credits" (if you have to ask, you'll never know).

That doesn't work for me... that's why I'm enrolled in construction school to get my building inspector license, so I won't have to lift s*** and I can be self-employed!!!!!! (Now THERE'S a scary thought---me doing my own thing with no boss breathing down my back.)

But even that isn't the endpoint... the $$ from being a building inspector will enable me to write and self-publish novels.