Who Followed Their Career Passions?

• Author

I am open to change pink sugar, although I know my heat lies within a health/science field.

I am open to whichever field under this umbrella best suits me or comes my way.

Health science degrees at my University can transfer credits over towards another health science degree. At the very least, one year is knocked off the next health science degree so I have been told, since ALL health science degrees begin the FIRST YEAR with the basics in anatomy/biology and etc.

I am not planning to switch it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it happened. I wouldn't have to go repeat another entire degree, in order to change fields.

• Author

The physics lecturer at my Uni just rang. We were going to meet for coffee this week to discus tutoring.

We are meeting next week for our first tutoring session.

I explained that I simply feel uncomfortable about not knowing basic math or physics, when I am intending on doing a health science degree. Although two degrees I am considering do not contain straight math workings out or math courses, I would still feel a lot better about myself if I am taught "the basics".

I asked him to teach me the basic math and physics that HE feels a first year university student SHOULD know. Even if the degree doesn't contain straight math and physics courses per say, what does HE feel a student in an applied health science/medical degree should know.

I would feel silly doing well in a SCIENCE degree of some sort, and not even knowing basic math or physics. Even if the degree doesn't contain either thing......

He is going to teach me the basics, and get me to a level where I can enter university and not feel dim about being a university student and not even knowing basic math.

I will only see him once a fortnight and he will set homework.

Not many have the answer, including ones in this forum. The problem is that college is not akin to the real world. When you actually have a job, you learn what you really like and not really like.

I've switched career paths multiple times. On the side, I've been doing a few hobbies that have been garnering steam. Perhaps soon, I will turn my hobby into a full-fledged business. Keep searching, but don't expect to find an answer soon. PM me if you want some additional advice.

• Like 3
  • Author

I have done further research and the physics involved in diagnostic radiography is only in second semester, year one. So the only straight physics course lasts less than 6 months. I am sure I can manage hypothetically.

Diagnostic radiography tends to attract very high achievers since the entrance score is always in the 90's, hence why I have not seriously considered this even though it is the degree I am most interested in as it is all about processing the images and becoming a technical expert, in order for the radiologists to interpret the data.

You work with the latest up to date technologies within your career.

I will likely aim to get in even though the cut off point is... well, in 2013, the LOWEST group of people they accepted were 92.3 entry scores. I am just on 92.3 and I am mature aged - they set aside X amount of mature aged places per degree, and X amount of younger high school grads.....

LOL - since this is the degree I would feel most proud to get and have the opportunity to work in the field of, I may as well put it down as first choice since I am absolutely NOT LIKELY to even get entry due to the high entrance score requirements!

The other strains or Medical Imaging degrees don't have job prospects really, where as diagnostic has a lot more jobs available.

I will go along to the information session and check it out. See if it is truly something for me.

NB - if I got into either degree, and then say, got sick of podiatry/medical imaging after year ONE of the degree, I can always transfer doe to overlapping courses in all medical based degrees.

I have been told I could likely get an entire bachelors degree and then later on in say five years time, I would be able to complete another bachelors degree in 2 years or even 1.5 years opposed to the usual 3 years.......

I am so..... extremely positive that so long as I study hard, do well and make myself very desirable during the placements in either degree, I will not be doomed to a crap future since there are at least 3 other degrees in the medical sciences I can then study without having to do the entire bachelors degree duration of study........

Fingers crossed I find a degree, enjoy the job and actually get a job and then not have to go and get another degree.

VeronicaRoss

I have one degree in fine art. I work alongside and compete with PhDs. The technology I work in now didn't even exist when I went to college. I didn't study anything remotely like it.

That's what you need, to start and be adaptive as you see opportunities arise and you notice you're happy when you do [ ]. I love my job, the things I own and am so lucky to have who I love because I stumbled upon all of it and claimed them and reveled in them.

I make great money. I have patents. I've changed a Fortune 100's way of looking at the future. I work with amazing people. I've been dismissed, made fun of, and run into absolute dead ends where I wondered if I'd ever be able to be successful again too.

You'll have to invent yourself many times, so just get on with it.

You weren't born knowing what you wanted like some. I sure didn't, I loved a lot of things. It's amazing how many of them have come together. I could lose it all tomorrow and have to start again. I'll be able to do it. More than most. Joy, patience, discipline, faith in yourself, humility when you need to act or think differently, gratitude, resilience. That's all you need, and then just go out and go about it.

All the pondering and studying and abstract conversations online will not deliver the knowledge you seek. I think in your hearts you know that right?

• Like 5

I became a veterinarian as a second career, which is a job I am passionate about.

However, truth remains that it's very hard to remain passionate about anything you do for 60 hours a week, every week.

My ideal job would be being a veterinarian for 30 hours a week. :p

• Like 3
  • Author
I have one degree in fine art. I work alongside and compete with PhDs. The technology I work in now didn't even exist when I went to college. I didn't study anything remotely like it.

That's what you need, to start and be adaptive as you see opportunities arise and you notice you're happy when you do [ ]. I love my job, the things I own and am so lucky to have who I love because I stumbled upon all of it and claimed them and reveled in them.

I make great money. I have patents. I've changed a Fortune 100's way of looking at the future. I work with amazing people. I've been dismissed, made fun of, and run into absolute dead ends where I wondered if I'd ever be able to be successful again too.

You'll have to invent yourself many times, so just get on with it.

You weren't born knowing what you wanted like some. I sure didn't, I loved a lot of things. It's amazing how many of them have come together. I could lose it all tomorrow and have to start again. I'll be able to do it. More than most. Joy, patience, discipline, faith in yourself, humility when you need to act or think differently, gratitude, resilience. That's all you need, and then just go out and go about it.

All the pondering and studying and abstract conversations online will not deliver the knowledge you seek. I think in your hearts you know that right?

I already know what I want to do. I like a few allied health degrees. I have a background in personal training and allied health degrees make the most sense to me as I know I would enjoy the study involved in all of them.

I came here to ask about money versus passion. I would like to be a diagnostic radiation imaging expert but I am a little afraid of the job prospects. I am willing to relocate so maybe I could do it. That is why I am attending the official career day for that particular degree. It is a 5 hour round trip though so you know, podiatry is at my local campus and also a degree in allied health that has more decent job prospects and the degree is a real challenge and very stimulating.

My friend did two years of medicine and ended up in podiatry and she said it was still very challenging. My friend tells me a lot about her job as a podiatrist. The job is low stress and you don't run around stressing out like with nursing or other jobs so it seems like good money for a low key, low stress job. There are challenges in the job but daily you pretty much cut toenails and deal with pretty easy to diagnose issues. It is ideal if you enjoy talking to people on a one on one basis throughout the day, and want a low stress low pressure job compared to many other fields.

Many podiatrists complain that it is too boring and not challenging enough but to me that is more ideal than a daily challenge. I would like to develop myself throughout my hypothetical career whichever path I go down but I don't want DAILY very intellectually challenging jobs. I would rather read up about podiatry at home and learn about complex issues and only occasionally attend to them, rathe than being run off my feet all day with severely complex cases. The odd situation where I have to really delve deep into my knowledge base would also be fantastic.

I have done my own research and have a pretty good idea of the areas I am most suited to, I just needed more feedback on whether other people just purely went after the exact career they wanted EVEN THOUGH it was against all odds.

I still have a career day to attend for both degrees but have a feeling I will pick podiatry as it is local, where as medical radiation science is a 5 hour round trip. They are both in allied health and I feel very excited about both prospects.

May as well pick the closer to get to degree that has a better job outlook.

I am artistic and have a great eye for detail so I did think that may translate into me enjoying the process of processing the images and then talking to the radiologist about the diagnosis; maybe my eye for detail could turn into a more passion driven career?

So yeah even though podiatry is 5 hours a day closer than medical imaging and has far more grads getting into jobs quicker, I am still attending the career information days.

• Author
I became a veterinarian as a second career, which is a job I am passionate about.

However, truth remains that it's very hard to remain passionate about anything you do for 60 hours a week, every week.

My ideal job would be being a veterinarian for 30 hours a week. :p

That is a path I would entertain if I didn't end up liking podiatry. I would work part time as a podiatrist (a lot of part time work out there!) and study full time again but would likely need distinction averages and a solid GPA in order to get into a veterinary science degree.

I am too old to probably consider a second career after my first one is established quiet honestly but you never know lol.

I would be thrilled to get into such a hard to get into degree that involves so much science. But again, the job scarcity in many areas would suck, although I am willing to relocate anywhere for a job.

It makes sense that you love it and persevered! I am talking to one veterinary science student who is very young and afraid of what she truly wants. Everyone is telling her she should stick to it because it is a very hard to get into degree and she should be thankful LOL. Real helpful!

Edited by Leigh 87
Glinda.Good

I came here to ask about money versus passion.

I don't think that any of us can help you with this.

I don't know ANY people who have approached career or jobs the way you are.

You have said before that you do not have to work for a living. Are you in a situation where you will NEVER need to work for a living for the rest of your life?

If that is the case, then it's probably a reasonable activity for you to spend hundreds of hours trying to decide if you are "passionate" about podiatry or not.

If you were like most of us, you would probably be going forward with a degree that you feel you'll be interested in as you work towards it, and later, as you start your career in the field. Because, we have always known we need to work in order to have a life And we are looking at it as WORK that we do enjoy or even love, but not as a consuming firery passion.

I think if a person has a passion, they know what it is. It's a no-brainer. And it is not always, or even usually, rooted in a job. Our jobs are a huge and crucial part of our lives, where we spend most of our waking hours, so we better be very into whatever we're doing or we'll be miserable. Passion … not so much, usually.

Your posts about all of this, forgive me for saying so, sound like big flights of fancy and not rooted in real life.

What if you don't really go through with any of these ideas to COMPLETION? What will your life look like?

• Like 4
  • Author

I am 28 and there is nothing out there for me that appeals that doesn't involve a degree. The only jobs I like the sound of are achieved through allied health degrees.

I am making the best decision based on who I am. I already know there isn't a non college path that is appealing to me. I have looked into just about every career there is.

I am not sure why you cannot understand that I know very well that any of the allied health degrees at my best bet.

It is nonsensical of you to assume I somehow don't know much about the other options I have? I do know the non college options.... They are NOT appealing.

I was a personal trainer for years and I want to pursue an allied health science degree. I already know first hand I hate humanities and prefer science degrees.

Really, stop undermining me. I do know my likes and dislikes.

You have real problem. Not sure why you think I shouldnt go to college and get a degree that'll get me a job. Sitting around and scratching my but at age 28 is certainly NOT what anyone with half a brain would do at my age.

I hate the current jobs I can get. Looking after kids when I dont much like kids is literally the only way I can earn money without any qualifications. I cannot get work in retail or hospitality due to my mismatched personality... I have looked six years for basic waitresses or retail jobs..no employers will hire me as I suck at the jobs despite my best efforts.

I also hate the fitness industry since new trainers need to pay over a thousand bucks just to start working at a gym plus 200 dollars per week in rent.

Given I hate the only jobs I can get, studying at college is by far my best option.

I don't see what you have against me thinking that getting an allied health degree is the best option for me.

People in my life who actually know me think it's by far the only good road I can go down.

I can not see myself doing anything else in life besides being a health professional. I literally canot see myself doing anything else.

New my family and my friend know a great deal more about me this internet strangers.

Please only comment on the topic. I will report anyone to moderators of they continue to.be rude idiots who try to tell me that I don't have a clue what I want. It is highly insulting to be told by OTHER people that I do not even know my own likes and dislikes.

Glinda.Good

I hope that rant was not somehow in response to my post.

I certainly did not say that you shouldn't or couldn't go to college and get a degree to do work that you'll like.

I'm all for it.

It is your search for PASSION and the fact that your passion changes a few times per month that makes me wonder what you are really after. Kind of seems like you won't settle into anything.

I did ask you whether you are ever actually going to NEED to work to support yourself. If not, that explains some things.

• Like 1
  • Author
I don't think that any of us can help you with this.

I don't know ANY people who have approached career or jobs the way you are.

You have said before that you do not have to work for a living. Are you in a situation where you will NEVER need to work for a living for the rest of your life?

If that is the case, then it's probably a reasonable activity for you to spend hundreds of hours trying to decide if you are "passionate" about podiatry or not.

If you were like most of us, you would probably be going forward with a degree that you feel you'll be interested in as you work towards it, and later, as you start your career in the field. Because, we have always known we need to work in order to have a life And we are looking at it as WORK that we do enjoy or even love, but not as a consuming firery passion.

I think if a person has a passion, they know what it is. It's a no-brainer. And it is not always, or even usually, rooted in a job. Our jobs are a huge and crucial part of our lives, where we spend most of our waking hours, so we better be very into whatever we're doing or we'll be miserable. Passion … not so much, usually.

Your posts about all of this, forgive me for saying so, sound like big flights of fancy and not rooted in real life.

What if you don't really go through with any of these ideas to COMPLETION? What will your life look like?

I am not looking to be passionate about my job.

I am looking for a career I at least like somewhat and feel good about.

I believe passion comes from outside of work for the vast majority.

I would be thrilled just be become a health professional. I really would. I don't expect fory woke to be my huge passion in life.

I was passionate about the research side of things for medical imaging as I enjoy reading about it in my spare time..i thought there may have been a chance that I could have become passionate about that job.

Because of minimal employment prospects and the fact I don't know whether or not I would be truly passionate about a career in medical imaging... And the fact it is a five hour round trip...... Lead me to pick podiatry as it is close by and still an allied health degre.

I won't be reading up on the latest podiatry new every day but out of all the careers outbthere a being a health care professional is the best I felt I could get to " liking my job"

I am therefore picking the path that most speaks to me employment wise. I realise now that it won't likely be my passion but rather, something I enjoy studying and pays the bills at the end of the day.

My parents think it's the best fit. They always new I am not adept at writing and humanities style degrees snd jobs. Chem and bio have always been my strong points.

I am very excited about pursuing my first ever proper, professional career. To me that is very appealing and I will be very proud of myself for simply graduating and becoming a health professional and earning a living. To me that is gold.

I definitely don't need to be passionate about my job it just has to be in an area of interest and sometimes I enjoyed studying and I don't hate and pays well enough lol.

I tend to be positive and find things I enjoy in all my jobs so I can see myself enjoying any job in the health professional.

A couple of poeple on here work in jobs they are passionate about so it may be the case for me but I am not expecting to be soooo passionate about my day job.

• Author
I hope that rant was not somehow in response to my post.

I certainly did not say that you shouldn't or couldn't go to college and get a degree to do work that you'll like.

I'm all for it.

It is your search for PASSION and the fact that your passion changes a few times per month that makes me wonder what you are really after. Kind of seems like you won't settle into anything.

I did ask you whether you are ever actually going to NEED to work to support yourself. If not, that explains some things.

I never said social work or the like was my life long passion. I was passionate about the issues I read about. I am not adept at nor do I enjoy academic writing. I never claimed that anything was a life long passion. I've said that I am passionate, for instance about travelling. So i thought I would love working as a travel agent. Only to discover it was a sales job and I hate sales.

I have not claimed to have any life long passions every month. That is not how I feel nor have I ever felt that way.

I have always enjoyed chemistry and biology out of every academic subject. Since forever.

I will be very satisfied by simply completing a degree and getting the chance to work on my field rasher than having to wait tables or look after more chilsren since they are the only jobs I am able to get.

I will be more than satisfied simply getting the degree and getting a work in a proper field that isnt serving people food or dealing with annoying children.

You have no idea how happy I would be simply graduating and finding work in a health profession.

Simply graduating and working in a proper, professional job is akin to me winning lotto. I don't need to be passionate about the job.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

I came here to ask about money versus passion.

Leigh, I've heard a few very successful people say to follow what you love doing, and you will become successful. They have said this is how it worked in their lives.

I would also interpret this to mean: Pursue that that you feel you have been blessed to do.

• Like 1
  • Author
Leigh, I've heard a few very successful people say to follow what you love doing, and you will become successful. They have said this is how it worked in their lives.

I would also interpret this to mean: Pursue that that you feel you have been blessed to do.

Well my best subjects at school that I was good at and enjoyed were chemistry followed by biology.

I never learnt physics but did enjoy math when I last did it.

I figure I would enjoy and at least be able to hack an allied health science degree.

I was slightly more interested in medical imaging but it's five hours a day travel that doig a podiatry degree will eliminate.

• Author

Well guys I sent in my application.

I don't find out until January which course I got into.....

I guess what I was wanting to know before was should I go for a degree that I " like the sound of more" that has low employment prospects, or do a degree that is perhaps a TAD less interesting sounding, but that has much better rates of employment among new grads....

I am really excited about learning any health science degree but I realise the reality is, I will not be "passionate" about every subject I learn, nor will I likely be brimming with enthusiasm for work every day when I graduate....

I thought I may have been more "passionate" about a career in medical imaging, as I would have liked to have worked with oncology patients and stay with them throughout their radiation therapy treatment.

The thing is, I feel that simply persevering and working hard (within you natural area of interest) is more important than finding a specific "passion" , as there will be something in every degree you do not LOVE, for instance there is always one subject which is not to your liking and that you struggle with.

I am really keen to just get a job upon graduating and podiatry has a very high rate of students getting work; I have never once heard that a graduate from a podiatry degree couldn't find work no matter how hard they tried. On the contrary, I have heard a few medical imaging grads that did well with credits and distinctions yet could never find work and had to pursue another degree. One even lamented that they had a "useless" degree and had to pursue further study (as did a few of their friends with medical imaging bachelors degrees...)

I think I could become quiet happy with dealing with clients one on one in podiatry; I enjoy just generally talking to people one on one, I can see myself enjoying attending to clients and helping them out.

My dad is also a diabetic and they tend to see podiatrist quiet a lot and I feel strongly about wanting to help both diabetics with their related food disorders or diseases, and also the elderly population always have foot issues and are apparently often uncomfortable with showing their feet to the podiatrists..... so I would like to exercise compassion and professionalism in helping clients one one one.

What do you guys consider to be "passionate"? Is it being happy to get to work every day?

If that is the case, I will be thrilled with simply having a professional job that involves taking care of people opposed to the dead end unskilled jobs I have previously had. Bar personal training as that involves a bit of skill.

I am a little worried as my friend did two years of medicine in a country where it is exceptionally hard to get into and study medicine, and SHE found podiatry "very difficult"

littleplanet

I decided at the age of 3, that I wanted to be a musician.

So it's been a thread that has run through my entire life.

It doesn't earn much - but I've never had so much fun with it, as now.

Along the way I majored in history.

By the time I graduated, I knew I'd never teach it.....too radical.

But that also - has been a lifelong pursuit.

(My father taught me.....that education never stops.)

And lucky me: I landed in my country's 3rd largest library. Surrounded by books. For 15 years I've been sopping up research. (while teaching kids how to do it)

Like a kid with the world's biggest sweet tooth, working in a candy factory.

So I guess I could say my two biggest passions in life took me interesting places (but never made me rich.)

But other rewards were always more important than that.

I've always thought that the true value of an education is how it dances with your own intelligence. Non-negotiable.

But today? It's a crapshoot. The job market is hilarious.

We might wind up one day with a planet full of intellectual peasants.

Alternative economies.

I do not at all trust economic policy wonks.

I do trust the ingenuity and eternal spirit of working people.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah I totally agree that there are going to be a lot of educated unemployed folks.

Not only will students soon have to forgo the very notion of "following their passion" but worse still: there will be very slim pickings from degrees that actually result in jobs. PERIOD.

I am actually feeling very fortunate to be starting Uni next year, as in a few more years time I believe there will be far too many graduates to actually have a reasonable shot at getting a job.

At least in Australia. Most fields have a high rate of students STRUGGLING to find work pertaining to their actual degree........

In Australia for instance, a great deal of pharmacy grads simply cannot get jobs; even rural places have been snapped up by desperate pharmacy grads:o Likewise, many students in medical imaging degrees also complain about hard to find professional development year placements, and not being kept on after that year. But there are still a few that get the jobs, but only the ones who do well tend to get employment within a year after graduating.

I just want to be a medical professional in SOME capacity, so I felt as though I better do a degree that has a decent rate of employment before it is too late. Medical imaging had a shortage some time ago where as now grads struggle to get work; podiatry could soon be just as dire but I am confident if I get in NOW and graduate in the allocated three years, I will still stand a good chance at getting a JOB, lol.

Soon I fear that it will be veryyyyyy hard to get work in ANY field, bar engineering where there are will always be a demand for some types engineers.

I believe podiatry still has a few good years left before the market is too saturated to have a good shot at getting a job as a podiatrist.

Besides podiatry, engineering and a very few other degrees are the only degrees I would feel confident in, in terms of prospective employment opportunities for new grads.......

I am a little worried as my friend did two years of medicine in a country where it is exceptionally hard to get into and study medicine, and SHE found podiatry "very difficult"

I wouldn't expect podiatry to be an easy degree. Honestly, I would actually expect it to be quite difficult.

I don't find out until January which course I got into.....

That's a long wait! Have you started the physics tutoring yet?

• Like 1
  • Author
I wouldn't expect podiatry to be an easy degree. Honestly, I would actually expect it to be quite difficult.

That's a long wait! Have you started the physics tutoring yet?

I can still change my preferences too up until September.

I was really liking the sound of a diagnostic radiography carer too... If it wasn't for the hard to get professional development year placements as well as the five hour a day commute, u would have done radiography.

Um I am quiet afraid that the degree will be very difficult. I am very nervous but in a good way since I know at the back of my mind that I will manage.

I got a mere 92 as my college entrance ranking and I fear I am too dense at times and not smart enough lol.

Are these fears normal?

I was bullied a lot in school and told I was dense because I simply never did any work. Then I scored above most people in my entry score into college because I was away from the bullying and I actually worked.

I have a complex where I still feel like the " dense girl" who no one thinks gets anything.

• Author

I am about to start basic math and physics tutoring.

Just the fundamentals nothing beyond year 11 or 12. Since I have not done math past year 11 same goes for physics.

Leigh,

One part of the equation I haven't read that you're tackling is the part about sticking with things.

That can be a real challenge if one has A.D.D., for example.

Have you ever been tested for it?

Do you feel it's important to address whatever it is that makes concentration/follow-through such an issue?

I think doing so would help loads.

Edited by cerridwen
  • Like 5

True.

That's the reality of day to day life I guess as opposed to the glossy pictures in the career brochure.

I love my job, I love the banter with the lads, I'm passionate about what I do, and when I'm there I genuinely - most of the time - enjoy it! BUT does that mean I want to get out of my warm bed at 5:45 on a Sunday in January when its lashing down with rain and howling with wind while my fiancée snoozes away - No sir it doesn't!!

That said, id still rather be going there at 5:45 on a Sunday in January when its lashing down with rain and howling with wind while my fiancée snoozes away than I would to most other jobs so I think that's the key - that's what your looking for!

Plus every job will have something that makes it hard - else they wouldn't pay your for it - be it annoying toddlers, long erratic hours, pressure, back breaking work, difficult customers, gross jobs, suckish commutes- however much you love your job - you'll have to do something that sucks! That's reality! Leigh, ever heard that thing about searching so hard for the most beautiful flower that the kid spends his whole life searching only to find out it was the first one he came upon? Don't fall in that trap!

Edited by Shepp
  • Like 1

When I wasn't sure about Real Estate, I changed my major to Business Management and went with it and ended up in Marketing. You can work in almost any profession with that degree as it's so versatile. You can apply these principles to almost every business. And don't forget that a lot of people end up in unrelated fields of work.

• Like 1