Why do so many girls choosing Nursing as a career?

And technology has little job security. If you haven't got into management by 30, you are often looked at, as over the hill.

As management can only be a small percent of the original workforce, I forsee there will be a lot of older people iwho used to have a technology career, trying to get into new areas or setting up their own companies.

This is why I moved away from Silicon Valley...my dad was like, but what about all the jobs here? What about them? Even if I am lucky to push past all the insane competition with people on visas with masters degrees and PhD's, I won't be owning a home there anytime soon because of the insane cost of housing. Plus tech is only really worth it if you're an engineer.

• Like 2

For those who think they can stomach it, nursing is one of the best career choices available for a person. It pays way better than average and you can literally pick up and move anywhere and work.

It sounds like you resent women who are making responsible career choices. Maybe that's because you're more artistic? Nothing wrong with that and certainly you get to pick who you hang out with, but no need to hate on those who aren't like you. Being different does not make them any better or worse than you, only different. Plus it's pretty common knowledge that people who are usually trying to find fault in others are doing so because of their own low self-esteem. It gives them a fleeting feeling of superiority. People confident and happy with their own lives rarely invest much time in picking others apart.

I left college once I figured out I had to be in the music business. Now in my old age, I am necessarily falling back on other more basic skills. I would just say to be sure you give yourself more than one skill set, one for when you're young and one for when you're old if the one you're passionate about isn't going to carry you into old age.

Most nurses are caring responsible sympathetic people, and many of them are so sympathetic and tolerant that they tolerate some kind of bad people that others less sympathetic would never tolerate. But it has been found that a small percentage of medical workers are only able to stomach the work because they aren't that empathetic and don't feel that sorry for people. Those are nurses I hope I don't get when I'm in the hospital.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 6
UpwardForward
I was studying nursing for a while primarily for the reasons you listed when I first went off to college. My dad's ex gf was a nurse and I agreed with him at the time that it was a good option since I wasn't sure what else to do at that time. Since then, I have changed my major about 3-4 times...I ended up being a Business graduate. My dad always thought I should be a nurse for the reasons you mentioned...stable, good money etc. But it just wasn't for me. I couldn't handle the constant round the clock stress nursing entails and having to see and deal with blood and guts all the time. They get paid good bucks for a reason, it's a difficult job and it's not for everyone. You also need loads of patience when dealing with irritable and sick patients.

.. unless you're a foreigner or aren't a careful perfectionist.

• Like 1
learning_slowly
This is why I moved away from Silicon Valley...my dad was like, but what about all the jobs here? What about them? Even if I am lucky to push past all the insane competition with people on visas with masters degrees and PhD's, I won't be owning a home there anytime soon because of the insane cost of housing. Plus tech is only really worth it if you're an engineer.

However, there is a lot if cash there ( just look at the parking bays), and if you can open the right restaurant, you will be at least as rich, as they all need to eat.

todreaminblue

I could handle nursing as a career couldn't handle the death aspect though....would really get me down.....i wish i could decide on a path to have that direction instead of drifting...i feel i have wasted what god gave me which is atop ten percent iq and other gifts i have...my teachers always told me i could be anything i wanted in life and they werent just saying it they tried to ram it home often.................

i think that is much worse that pursuing a passion is to drift.......that you find nursing passions sickening is curious to me......the mindset you have...... please explain more? Like what do you think straight up as soon as you hear nursing...the first thought that is in your head?

• Author

I think I am speaking a different language than the rest of you.

You think that I am attacking nursing, but if you would read carefullyer you would see that I am talking about girls choosing a career out of fear of not having one later.

Maybe this will help bring clarity. I am going to swap out "nursing" with "McDonald's", but I will keep your responses the same. Maybe then you will see that you are missing the point.

ME: "It seems like every girl I talk to nowadays chooses McDonald's because McDonald's always needs managers and fry cooks. When I ask them why they chose fast food they say, 'People will always need to eat.' To me, it's points off if you choose McDonald's just because you want 'job security'."

ALL OF YOU: "Why do you care what job girls choose? Maybe you resent girls who make responsible career choices?...Your low self-esteem?... It's 'points off' to you girls have ambition and long-term career goals? ...What's wrong with you?"

Now obviously, no one would defend McDonald's like this.

What I am trying to show you guys is that you are not defending nursing because you genuinely believe that there's something wrong with my thinking. As far as I can tell you're defending nursing just because it's nursing.

Edited by Kaiten
  • Like 1
I've heard it dozens of times now.

"I love that I will get to help people."

"Job security."

When I ask these girls if nursing is their passion they reply - invariably - with a resounding "yes".

I've got enough life experience to where I know that if something is your passion, you tend to talk about it a lot. I never hear these girls talking about nursing other than when someone asks them what their major is.

Another thing that itches my ass is if you ask any college student why they chose their school, then unless it is a community college, they will say,

"(insert name of school) has a really good (insert name of their major) program. That's why I chose it."

I, myself, did not go to college, and I don't see the point since I am already in the beginning of the career I know I want to be in (which I got into by just trying things).

This has gotten to be a bit much for me. It's gotten to the point to where if a girl tells me that she's into nursing for the standard reasons, then it's dating points off in my head. (I'm not Prince Charming but you get the point)

Does anyone else experience this?

Would you rather not expect someone to like their job, or like what they do? It really seems like you've found successful people who have found their calling.

People would really like to have a life beyond work, and I applaud these individuals for keeping work and their personal lives separate. I find it more of a problem with people whose careers are so consuming that it eats up who they are, and their lives sometimes to the point of destroying families.

The optimal choice for any student is to get a job in something they would like once they get out of college/university. It would make sense that anyone who would pick a program would want to choose a school that would give them the best opportunities, resources and give them an edge over other competitors through brand power and affiliation with employers. A degree as I mentioned is a signal of a knowledge and hopefully some competence to do the work. Better schools can potentially make better students.

OP, you sound like you're sick of the standard answers, but perhaps it's more so that you should expect these standard answers and a bit more. Would you rather date someone with long-term and short-term goals, or a person with no idea of career and self-awareness?

• Like 1
sweetjasmine

Why is it surprising or annoying that people work jobs that they may not necessarily enjoy for the security? Why is it surprising or annoying that some people join the military for the benefits? Welcome to the real world. We can't always pursue whatever makes us happy if we want to eat and have a roof over our heads.

• Like 5

Nothing wrong with a practical girl I don't think. I have more respect for someone choosing a career that will actually get them employment rather than a degree that will get them nothing. That's not out of fear, that's common sense. Not sure what the problem is. I am far more annoyed when people tell me they are going into a program that I KNOW will not net them a job. That is stupidity to me, and I don't care how passionate they are about it.

It's hard enough finding a special person to share my life with, I am glad I do not eliminate potential candidates off of imagined weaknesses.

• Like 1
Why do so many girls choosing Nursing as a career?

It pays well and, depending on the state you're licensed in, it can be mobile nationally and it's a great way to meet doctors, who are still predominantly male. There's a huge demand right now and it's expected to increase as my generation enters retirement and becomes more ill.

If one has the emotional style to work with the stresses and pressures, IMO it's a pretty good path to an early retirement.

I know a fair amount of medical professionals personally and almost universally they do not 'talk shop' away from work. The number one reason is that people are always soliciting professional medical 'advice'. That gets old.

Haven't experienced the 'school' name-dropping thing but YMMV on that.

It just occurred to me that the one doctor I dated never talked about work, even though I visited her a couple times at work (trauma). She seemed to leave work at work and focused on personal stuff away from the hospital. I also have no recollection where she received her MD from. Don't think she ever mentioned that.

sweetjasmine
I give up. I'm wasting my time.

If you're getting upset at people for going into "safe" careers because they're worried about not being able to pay the bills, then, yeah, you're wasting your time. There's a good reason why people value job security, and I hope you don't figure it out the hard way.

I personally think it can be a mistake to hedge a bet on a reportedly "safe" career, and the oversaturation in the nursing field is proving my point as new grads struggle to land a job and hospitals demand more qualifications and experience for traditional nursing jobs while creating more lower skill, lower paid positions. But it's silly to fault people for flocking to a field that's hyped as in demand when unemployment is high and when most of those who are employed are worried they might not be next year.

• Like 3

I guess I might be rare one who perhaps maybe is seeing and understanding where he goes with this. First of all Nursing is not just career its CALLING you need to have that, second its not just about 36$ and can work anywhere, its about COMPASSION, AND PASSION to help heal make difference in someones life.

It means guts blood sweat and tears you need to have that burning desire inside of you like often some quality artist or geniuses do cause you see if God forbid I get ill who will I want to care for me "nurse who is good at her job but simply goes trough motions of doing it, or one who is just as good but that special "caring" compassionate feeling that desire to help no matter what even cheat death that for me ?

I wanna number 22222222222222222

Now by all means am not just saying this I am health care occupation graduate to so I understand need for sensible decent paying job and its safety and security.

So what he is saying is that indeed people have choices and should do best they can for them its just sad to see they do it more for their own good then ones they "care' for in their work ...

Edited by bluegreen
clear up
  • Like 2
todreaminblue
I think I am speaking a different language than the rest of you.

You think that I am attacking nursing, but if you would read carefullyer you would see that I am talking about girls choosing a career out of fear of not having one later.

Maybe this will help bring clarity. I am going to swap out "nursing" with "McDonald's", but I will keep your responses the same. Maybe then you will see that you are missing the point.

ME: "It seems like every girl I talk to nowadays chooses McDonald's because McDonald's always needs managers and fry cooks. When I ask them why they chose fast food they say, 'People will always need to eat.' To me, it's points off if you choose McDonald's just because you want 'job security'."

ALL OF YOU: "Why do you care what job girls choose? Maybe you resent girls who make responsible career choices?...Your low self-esteem?... It's 'points off' to you girls have ambition and long-term career goals? ...What's wrong with you?"

Now obviously, no one would defend McDonald's like this.

What I am trying to show you guys is that you are not defending nursing because you genuinely believe that there's something wrong with my thinking. As far as I can tell you're defending nursing just because it's nursing.

I apologize for not seeing yor post for what it is thank you fr clarifying.....so the problem you have is not with nursing in general but people choosing nursing fro the money aspect and security instead of passion.....i happen to agree with this.....especially with nursing sick people as it is a demanding often extremely saddening job...i would think if you didnt love it you would feel resentment.....and end up jaded....i would rather work in a non paying job than work in a job for security or money......i am an empath so working around sick and elderly who dont have family come see them makes me really blue..also i have a fix them obsession..runs strong in me

.i think to be a nurse there has to be an acceptance there of pain and suffering and compassion and true passion to ease that suffering...it would make me anxious if i couldnt fix them, i would do my very best to help them, i would end up sick myself nto including the hours that are often long and arduous, hence i dont choose nursing as a career...like doctors have to have a certain amount of loyalty to the oath they take to be a doctor...or sign off on.....to give the best care ...... i believe nurses should take that oath too...regardless of motivation.....passionate nurses have compassion in their hearts and you need to love nursing to be a good nurse...and most do......i hope.....prayin......i have always loved my nurses......when i have been sick....because they had the ability to make me smile when i was suffering.....and were always caring of me from childhood to now...i respect the nursing profession and i admire them deeply and very grateful for people who take up this profession with passionate hearts..deb

• Like 1
  • Author
I am far more annoyed when people tell me they are going into a program that I KNOW will not net them a job. That is stupidity to me, and I don't care how passionate they are about it.

But you have no idea whether or not they will get a job through a certain program. You have no way of knowing that.

• Author
There's a good reason why people value job security, and I hope you don't figure it out the hard way.

Too late :)

But I have already learned a lot of invaluable lessons from that. Not the least of which is: "Turns out I didn't die."

• Like 2
  • Author
But it's silly to fault people for flocking to a field that's hyped as in demand when unemployment is high and when most of those who are employed are worried they might not be next year.

I don't know...maybe it's not so silly. I do see your point. But even though you and I disagree, I'm glad you can understand what I am actually saying.

• Author

So what he is saying is that indeed people have choices and should do best they can for them its just sad to see they do it more for their own good then ones they "care' for in their work ...

this......

• Author
I apologize for not seeing yor post for what it is thank you fr clarifying.....so the problem you have is not with nursing in general but people choosing nursing fro the money aspect and security instead of passion.....i happen to agree with this.....especially with nursing sick people as it is a demanding often extremely saddening job.

Yes, deb!

I am saying this as an American soldier:

You guys might have no earthly idea how damaging it is to the Army for the soldiers who don't care as much to just show up for duty. I can't stand to see it.

It drags the whole army down. It saps the passion of the awesome soldiers around them. Worst of all, it saps the passion of the leadership.

• Like 2
todreaminblue
Yes, deb!

You guys might have no earthly idea how damaging it is to the Army for the soldiers who don't care as much to just show up for duty. I can't stand to see it.

It drags the whole army down. It saps the passion of the awesome soldiers around them. Worst of all, it saps the passion of the leadership.

apathy and boredom, disinterest and lacklustre emotion, all killers when it comes to any team work and or effort especially with soldiers....i am ex military aussie here, and one thing i went into military wasnt for the pay......i went in general entry....as i wanted to fight my way up , not have it handed to me.....i wanted to grunt and groan with every one else......and at the end of the day find satisfaction from effort and hard work and to be part of a well oiled team in supporting and boosting the morale of others............ and now i am not in the military anymore i have not lost any passion but gained more with age knowing the only way to do any work at all is to have passion for it even the menial....and the routine...and to motivate with enthusiasm and high energy a family a team ....and to praise the workers who go unnoticed to make them feel passion for what they do and how important they are...........cheers....deb

sweetjasmine
Yes, deb!

That's another issue, but I agree that it's a problem.

I'm in a health profession, but I don't work with humans. People who aren't motivated to be there wash out in less than a month. I've seen it time and time again. It's brutal. And people who hang on and pour their heart into it almost always end up suffering from compassion fatigue at some point or another. If their fatigue is bad enough and if they can't do anything about it, it destroys them. But at the same time, although morale at my hospital is in the sh-tter and although almost everyone is disgruntled, our standards of care are pretty top notch, and I rarely see people cutting corners when it comes to the actual patients.

If someone is truly in a health profession only for the money and job security, chances are they're not going to last very long unless their fear of the unknown is strong enough to keep them in it or unless they're in a rare, pretty low stress job.

• Like 3
I've heard it dozens of times now.

"I love that I will get to help people."

"Job security."

These are pretty standard reasons, for both genders, and for a variety of jobs. Sure, they aren't the kind of responses that blow your socks off, but you're not exactly an employer conducting an interview, so they have no need to try and impress you. I don't see the problem you have with either reason.

I also don't see why you're picking on nursing, but I do have to say that most countries are lacking in nurses to some degree. So good on those people for filling in that gap. Regardless of their reasons, as long as they're doing a good job, there's nothing to complain about, and they're only benefiting society. Which is more than can be said for a lot of others...

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

I was always complaining and ranting about nurses and doctors. But when my mum's aorta burst and she collapsed at home on a public holiday, she was in the operating room in less than 30 minutes (that includes ambulance drive, paging a surgeon that was not at the hospital and setting up the whole team who were mostly off site at the time). The level of care and compassion she received (as well as how the rest of us were treated by the nurses) was :love:

It finally made sense why they make you wait in the ER for 8 hours when you come with a sprained ankle.

Never saying a bad word again.

• Like 5
Too late :)

But I have already learned a lot of invaluable lessons from that. Not the least of which is: "Turns out I didn't die."

So, you are comparing women saying the want to go into nursing with men saying they want to join the army? (Just checking to see if I got this straight)

You were in the army, and witnessed the lack of dedication to country from the gung-ho guys who cited that as a reason. They ended up just going thru the motions.

If I've got it right, then sure, it's a fair analogy. But it might hold for any number of professions. Just seems you've latched onto nursing (that sounded weird, LOL) as your soapbox. Probably because it's the one you're hearing mentioned most often?

If I can ask, why are you out?