People who can't get a date with "anyone"?

littleplanet

Aw jeez

The more the square peg tries to fit into the round hole, the sillier it gets.

(and no - the metaphoric inuendo was not entirely intentionally intended) :cool:

Everybody's got a theory.

I've seen a lot of theories go up in smoke.

Seems to me it's one of those kind of questions that is so easy to forget, for some reason.

Thank heaven this is something that science doesn't do for us.....

(though at times, I'm certain it tries)

Just exactly 'why' this one succeeds and that one fails - remains the mystery of the ages.

Think on it:

If everyone in a random group of 100 has 2 eyes, 2 ears, one nose, one mouth, assorted teeth, cheekbones and a chin..............

well - those are all the working parts.

Then why are they not all equally attractive?

- perhaps for the same reason a mama seal finds her pup in a giant herd of squalling, yelling barking seals.

So it can be just that simple - and just that complicated.

And humans can be so fussy (lord love 'em.)

ralph.stegner

This is a topic that has been on my mind a lot lately. I spent years and years dateless and sexless. I've been with 4 people and have had periods of up to 5 years without any physical contact from another person.

In high school, college, and the military, I ran with guys and girls who were very sexually active. This sort of rubbed salt into the wound. I remember on one occasion, a roommate and I were talking with two women at a bar. The woman I was expressing interest in seemed uncomfortable and eventually excused herself. I was fairly used to this reaction from women by this time.

The girl he was talking to, stood up and grabbed him by the sleeve and whispered something in his ear. He then said to her "no I'm hanging out with my friend tonight." They might have exchanged numbers after that. He knew I never got attention from women, and said something to the effect of "see it isn't that big of a deal, you can take it or leave it."

I thought it was a nice gesture, but really found myself resenting him in a way. All I could think is that if a woman looked at me like that and tried pulling me out of the bar, I would NOT have taken it for granted. The next night he came home with someone different. Now he's married with three kids, and has said to me that his marriage would not be as strong as it is if he and his wife hadn't "sewed their oats" when they were younger.

It always seemed like some sort of club that I didn't know the secret handshake for.

I am married now, and my wife is a card carrying member of the "beautiful people." She has told me that she had a blast dating and hooking up when she was younger. While in most respects she is a dream come true for me. Part of me just can't let go of that old feeling of being somehow unattractive and inferior.

• Like 1