Body Type: "Fit" vs. "Athletic"

Youve never thrown up during a workout? :confused:

Not since hs football. That is a terrible thing to do to your body. And it certainly isn't healthy - it is harmful. That is the line between being fit and being a fanatic.

Some people take being "Athletic" as being an athlete. And remember, in this day and age, being a pro bowler or a competitive eater is considered being an athlete now :laugh:

Not since hs football. That is a terrible thing to do to your body. And it certainly isn't healthy - it is harmful. That is the line between being fit and being a fanatic.

Not always. Sometimes people vomit while exercising because they have too much food or liquid in their stomachs at the time.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine
Not always. Sometimes people vomit while exercising because they have too much food or liquid in their stomachs at the time.

This. If I eat a medium-big meal before I go weight lifting, I will feel nauseated or throw up. Nothing sick about it, it's just that blood flows to the muscles and food sits there undigested.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I think its probably pretty rude to ask someone you just met online for a "full body shot" or as someone suggested take a photo holding a copy of the newspaper up...Thats just weird..

If you want to try to get a picture in your head, especially if they are bragging about their body, you can do something like this..

-If you are a guy, casually ask the woman if she wears a bikini or thong when she goes to the beach....And no..."coverups" dont count..

-If you are a woman...Ask the guy if he can go out and get his mail out at the street with nothing but BVD's in the middle of the day..

While there are some people that will wear anything no matter how ridiculous they look, the majority won't...

TFY

How abouts you people stop being so stuck up on body size and actually get to know someone?

No wonder so many people here have no success in dating…

I doubt most of you have a perfect body anyways.

• Like 4

Physical attraction is simply something you need to evaluate in person. OLD is a means for meeting people, not a catalog.

If you are athletic or fit, surely your likes and interests reflect that. Write about what you do, and how often. Ask a potential date about the last time they participated in their interests. Was it 2 days ago or 2 months ago? Is this a lifestyle or a once in a while thing?

• Like 1
King Bowls
How abouts you people stop being so stuck up on body size and actually get to know someone?

I wasn't trying to be stuck up, so it wasn't me (to who you're referring to)

Nobody has a perfect body. Because everyone has an opinion on what is seen as "the perfect body", by this rule, as stated, no one has a perfect body.

• Like 1
I wasn't trying to be stuck up, so it wasn't me (to who you're referring to)

Nobody has a perfect body. Because everyone has an opinion on what is seen as "the perfect body", by this rule, as stated, no one has a perfect body.

Oh I wasn't referring to you in particular...it's just not the first time I see posts like this one where people get all worked out about OLD body types.

Not that I'm excusing people using 8 year old pictures, but I do find people on OLD waaaaaay too picky as far as looks go.

And that includes me.

thefooloftheyear

While I agree, here is the problem...

Id never do anything like OLD....but that being said, from what Ive seen, people just flat out lie about what/who they are....If you just be honest, then everyone can make a logical decision based on that..

A buddy of mine has been doing OLD for some time...He states that of the 20 or so women he actually dated from there, only 1 actually appeared in real life as good as the photos...The other 19 were so far worse that it was like seeing a completely different person..

And there is nothing wrong with wanting a "fit" or "athletic" person to be actually fit/athletic..!! And if you cant climb a flight of stairs without getting a cramp or losing your wind....well...you arent fit...

TFY

While I agree, here is the problem...

Id never do anything like OLD....but that being said, from what Ive seen, people just flat out lie about what/who they are....If you just be honest, then everyone can make a logical decision based on that..

A buddy of mine has been doing OLD for some time...He states that of the 20 or so women he actually dated from there, only 1 actually appeared in real life as good as the photos...The other 19 were so far worse that it was like seeing a completely different person..

And there is nothing wrong with wanting a "fit" or "athletic" person to be actually fit/athletic..!! And if you cant climb a flight of stairs without getting a cramp or losing your wind....well...you arent fit...

TFY

Oh I agree with this and I agree people should post the truth in their profiles but people's standards when it comes to body types are x100 in OLD.

Also, I'm 5'3'' 180 lbs so considered borderline obese. I also work out like a MF and a lot of people on here wouldn't be able to keep up with one of my trainings.

Still I was once turned down by a man who used this excuse because he thought I was 'too fat'

By all means, have your body type preferences. But if you're stuck on them like glue and expect this lowers your 'selection pool' by a lot. Also, if you're going to turn down an otherwise interesting 'prospect' just because he/she is a little heavier/not as toned as you expected, well, maybe you deserve to be alone.

( not *you* you but, you know lol)

I'm also not talking about someone who posts a picture from 10 years and 75 pounds ago either. But if you're going to OLD, expect slight differences when meeting them in person because no one goes and posts horrible pictures of themselves in their profile.

• Like 1

OLDing, most the men I met who were "athletic" were at least 60 lbs overweight. I mean huge guts, extra turkey chin, nowhere near athletic build! The men who posted as average were morbidly obese not in shape AT ALL. So basically meet up for coffee and just see if you like the guy! I think it's sad that people are so deceptive online because those same guys were still attractive but it's a HUGE disappointment when you show up and barely recognize the person. And picture? Forget about it! They find that freak photo where they look like Brad Pitt but when you meet up in real life they have a receding hairline, huge forehead, extra chins, and beer gut.

thefooloftheyear
Oh I agree with this and I agree people should post the truth in their profiles but people's standards when it comes to body types are x100 in OLD.

Also, I'm 5'3'' 180 lbs so considered borderline obese. I also work out like a MF and a lot of people on here wouldn't be able to keep up with one of my trainings.

Still I was once turned down by a man who used this excuse because he thought I was 'too fat'

By all means, have your body type preferences. But if you're stuck on them like glue and expect this lowers your 'selection pool' by a lot. Also, if you're going to turn down an otherwise interesting 'prospect' just because he/she is a little heavier/not as toned as you expected, well, maybe you deserve to be alone.

( not *you* you but, you know lol)

I'm also not talking about someone who posts a picture from 10 years and 75 pounds ago either. But if you're going to OLD, expect slight differences when meeting them in person because no one goes and posts horrible pictures of themselves in their profile.

Agreed...

As far as pics goes. id think that rather than find the one "perfect" photo or post photos of themselves from their senior prom(when they are 40)..Its better to post a variety of average pics with one or two good ones thrown in..

Its always refreshing to "underpromise and overdeliver"....

TFY

Agreed...

As far as pics goes. id think that rather than find the one "perfect" photo or post photos of themselves from their senior prom(when they are 40)..Its better to post a variety of average pics with one or two good ones thrown in..

Its always refreshing to "underpromise and overdeliver"....

TFY

Yes but then if you post not so good pictures of yourself, you'll get less interest from other members.

OLD is a double edge sword like that (and that is reason 257 why I've sworn off OLD lol)

The difference between Fit and Athletic is in body composition. A "fit" person has a little more body fat than an athletic body.

No matter what you do, you can NEVER out exercise a bad diet so an athlete will be more rigid with what they put into their bodies.

I'm a Personal Trainer & fitness model and see people use these terms way too loosely.

No matter what you do, you can NEVER out exercise a bad diet so an athlete will be more rigid with what they put into their bodies.

I have noticed that women [and I assume men but I'm not interested in men :laugh:] who are overweight often use exercise as an excuse to justify their weight. For example, my buddy's wife goes out and jogs several times a week. Then she sits and eats candy and cookies while watching TV. When he finally started complaining about her extra 70 pounds or so, her response was that she exercises so he should get off of her back. :confused:

But the best one I have heard was about a group of women who had all decided that their husbands like huge asses. When the husbands got wind of this and started objecting, they were determined to be "acting like jerks". This all happened with a church group a friend of mine attends.

This is the bottom line for me: Looks matter. I work my ass off and have radically changed my diet in order to be more appealing. If a woman is looking for a mate but isn't willing to make a significant effort to be more appealing, then why should I be interested? Obviously she doesn't care enough to try now, so what happens later?

Edited by Robert Z

I should say that I have worked my ass on.

It took me two years to grow an ass again! :laugh:

I should say that I have worked my ass on.

It took me two years to start to grow an ass again! :laugh:

thefooloftheyear
The difference between Fit and Athletic is in body composition. A "fit" person has a little more body fat than an athletic body.

I'm a Personal Trainer & fitness model and see people use these terms way too loosely.

Wrong....

I know a guy thats pretty well built, and has less than 10% bodyfat, yet eats nothing but junk food...And he only trains a few times a week..

Anyone with Ray Charles vision would call him athletic....Very atletic, actually...

Heck, I consume more than 7000 calories a day(clean food)...Im active and train hard, but its not likely that I burn that much every single day...I maintain around 12-14%..which is pretty lean..

Genetics play a big role in all of this..

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
Wrong....

I know a guy thats pretty well built, and has less than 10% bodyfat, yet eats nothing but junk food...And he only trains a few times a week..

Anyone with Ray Charles vision would call him athletic....Very atletic, actually...

Heck, I consume more than 7000 calories a day(clean food)...Im active and train hard, but its not likely that I burn that much every single day...I maintain around 12-14%..which is pretty lean..

Genetics play a big role in all of this..

TFY

Ummm....I think I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, genetics is one component but an athletic male will carry about 6 to 13 percent BF. A body builder will have slightly lower BF to increase their vascularity.

thefooloftheyear
Ummm....I think I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, genetics is one component but an athletic male will carry about 6 to 13 percent BF. A body builder will have slightly lower BF to increase their vascularity.

With all due respect...

As a guy who has been under 7/8% bf many times in his life...its completely unsustainable over any term of time...When I competitively wrestled on a collegiate level, I was regularly under 5%...And I got pretty sick feeling when I got under, say 9/10%..So I have no idea where you get your figures from...Most people(yes, even so called "experts") have no idea what it really takes to be that lean...They only go by pictures in publications..

Its not healthy to walk around at 6% bodyfat(over the long term)..Anyone knows this.

A guy like NFL linemen Vince Wilfork or Ndamukong Suh have bodyfat levels that would probably look like morbidly obese, yet these guys would blow the doors off any regular Joe that thought he was "athletic"..

I worked with a guy on a construction crew years ago...Jamaican guy...He was fairly muscular and shredded and never trained a day in his life...All I ever seen him eat was greasy meat patties, cakes and Pepsi...

Are you still willing to stand by your statement that athletic looking people cant get around a bad diet??

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear

Are you still willing to stand by your statement that athletic looking people cant get around a bad diet??

TFY

This is a blanket statement that will take too long to answer.

Vague answer is no. I have a Masters in Exercise Science so I have a wee understanding on the human body.

As a fitness model I have 18% body fat, if I was a female bodybuilder I would want to get down to about 11-12%.

• Like 1

I think there are people who can eat junk food and have an athletic body…just like there are people who can do all the drug imaginable to mankind and live past 50 years old…but they are exception.

I don't have a masters in health or anything related but even I know that junk food is bad energy - bad energy = too tired to have a good work out so being athletic while eating junk food can't work in the long run.

Sorry fooloftheyear, but using you and your friend as an indicator that you can eat junk food and be athletic isn't bringing much weight to your premise considering all the studies proving it wrong…

Also, take all the top athletes in the world and I'm pretty sure most of them wouldn't even remember junk food exists...

• Like 1
King Bowls
With all due respect...

As a guy who has been under 7/8% bf many times in his life...its completely unsustainable over any term of time...When I competitively wrestled on a collegiate level, I was regularly under 5%...And I got pretty sick feeling when I got under, say 9/10%..So I have no idea where you get your figures from...Most people(yes, even so called "experts") have no idea what it really takes to be that lean...They only go by pictures in publications..

Its not healthy to walk around at 6% bodyfat(over the long term)..Anyone knows this.

A guy like NFL linemen Vince Wilfork or Ndamukong Suh have bodyfat levels that would probably look like morbidly obese, yet these guys would blow the doors off any regular Joe that thought he was "athletic"..

I worked with a guy on a construction crew years ago...Jamaican guy...He was fairly muscular and shredded and never trained a day in his life...All I ever seen him eat was greasy meat patties, cakes and Pepsi...

TFY

This is true, but there are NFL linemen who are 300+ and have low bf levels.