! Girlfriend wants to risk everything for her dog.

Iseenamandie

• Author
Iseenamandie
No way would I leave a safe apartment for a cheap one in a potentially ****ty area. And no, her friend cannot move in either.

It seems to me the best solution is to find a good home for the dog or to see if you can get an apartment in your area that accepts dogs (tell them it's a lab mix you idiot, don't say pitbull).

If you absolutely, positively CANNOT afford a dog apartment that is safe...then the dog ain't moving in either.

Yeah thanks a lot. That seems to be the best solution. I think she may be leaning towards the idea of them two getting a place together. Its a much better situation for me. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with that but if it does, she will know why I had all of these doubts. I've already made dumb mistakes abd struggled to get out of them. I'm not trying to do it again.

• Author
Iseenamandie
I agree with some of what you said but the OP doesn't know anything about this dog. If he knew it from when it was a puppy then maybe. But if he wants to risk his life with an unknown dog then he's free to make that choice. I certainly won't. I have no doubt that the owner treatment is a cause for many if these attacks, but it doesn't change the fact that people are being maimed or killed on a frequent basis. Tell it to the parents of the 4 year old girl who got killed here when the neighbours pit bull wandered into their house and attacked her with no provocation.

OP is just asking for trouble if he accepts this IMO, particularly as he doesn't seem too keen on the idea.

Yeah I've spent a week with the dog before when I went to visit her in ohio before she moved over here. The dog is friendly but very untrained. I mean it will tear up your phine charger, socks, and clothes. And my girlfeind just says "bad dog". No punishment. I remember ordering pizza and wings for us when I was there. Spent about 25 bucks. We put the pizza on a high table and walked to the store really quick. When we came back, all of the pizza was gone and the chicken. She didn't say anything about it either. Just "bad dog". And I know I'd be fustrated if the dog started ripping up my cords and phone chargers or clothes. That's an argument in itself.

• Like 1
  • Author
Iseenamandie
Tell it to the parents of the 4 year old girl who got killed here when the neighbours pit bull wandered into their house and attacked her with no provocation.

Yeah that's sad. I've seen videos on that.

• Author
Iseenamandie
For the record, I think you would be nuts to give up an apartment at $1025 a month near Newport Beach to move to Anaheim.

Thanks you. Atleast I know I'm not being a TOTAL dick for thinking that way.

Eddie Edirol
Yeah I've spent a week with the dog before when I went to visit her in ohio before she moved over here. The dog is friendly but very untrained. I mean it will tear up your phine charger, socks, and clothes. And my girlfeind just says "bad dog". No punishment. I remember ordering pizza and wings for us when I was there. Spent about 25 bucks. We put the pizza on a high table and walked to the store really quick. When we came back, all of the pizza was gone and the chicken. She didn't say anything about it either. Just "bad dog". And I know I'd be fustrated if the dog started ripping up my cords and phone chargers or clothes. That's an argument in itself.

And you want to LIVE with this? You really dont, and dont stress yourself out just because she wants the dog. let her friend have it, she cant move in, and if your girl doesnt like it you will have to go your separate ways. trust me, it could wind up that way because she doesnt want to train the dog, and that dog will be a pain in the ass for as long as you have him. No the dogs fault, but you dont really want to live like that.

TaraMaiden
I agree with some of what you said but the OP doesn't know anything about this dog. If he knew it from when it was a puppy then maybe. But if he wants to risk his life with an unknown dog then he's free to make that choice. I certainly won't. I have no doubt that the owner treatment is a cause for many if these attacks, but it doesn't change the fact that people are being maimed or killed on a frequent basis. Tell it to the parents of the 4 year old girl who got killed here when the neighbours pit bull wandered into their house and attacked her with no provocation.

OP is just asking for trouble if he accepts this IMO, particularly as he doesn't seem too keen on the idea.

As requested - please PM me.

I would seriously welcome further discussion and there is more I could add...

This would not be to get into a slanging match or pi$$ing contest with you.

I would gladly engage in level-headed discussion.

But I am hesitant to take this off-rail further.

With regard to the OP's dilemma, I fully agree that if the dog is not disciplined, he will become problematic and troublesome.

You have to match - absolutely match - the level of control to the type of dog.

I would never argue this.

TaraMaiden

THis is poor handling and totally insufficient control.

You are quite right - and completely within your rights - to refuse to live with such an undisciplined animal.

And please do not anyone think that by 'discipline' I mean any kind of physical punishment or restraint.

For the record, Cesar Millan has done more harm than good in this respect.

This dog needs to be handled and controlled by someone with the correct presence, character and imposing temperament.

Hitting any dog to discipline it, in any way, is completely unacceptable in my book.

Hitting this breed is just asking for trouble....

But your G/F doesn't sound like a suitable owner for a dog of this calibre - AT ALL.

salparadise
But your G/F doesn't sound like a suitable owner for a dog of this calibre - AT ALL.

This is the key factor. Dogs are really a lifestyle not an amusement. The unique combination of master and dog determine suitability to a given environment. Great dogs are the result of breeding, some degree of luck and a master who actually understands how to develop the potential. I've raised and trained three German Shepherds and spent countless hours studying and training. It's a huge commitment to do it right, and if you can't make the commitment you're in for disappointment at best, trouble at the worst. There's no way I would even consider living with an untrained pit/shepherd/person in an apartment. I think you just have to make it non-negotiable and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 1
This is the key factor. Dogs are really a lifestyle not an amusement. The unique combination of master and dog determine suitability to a given environment. Great dogs are the result of breeding, some degree of luck and a master who actually understands how to develop the potential. It's a huge commitment to do it right, and if you can't make the commitment you're in for disappointment at best, trouble at the worst. There's no way I would even consider living with an untrained pit/shepherd/person in an apartment. I think you just have to make it non-negotiable and let the chips fall where they may.

The same applies to children.

• Like 1