Are women intimidated by other women who dress provocatively at work?

I'd be curious to see what it'd be like working in a place where I was the only guy...

Haha, while this might sound like an interesting prospect, I would bet that this would get old quickly.

That said, working in a non-professional job with all women could be fun. My first job as a teenager was as a lifeguard at a city-pool. Most of the staff were young females... Ahhh, youth is wasted on the young.

18 year olds...? :eek:

They ranged from 16 to about 20 or so. I was 16, fairly awkward socially, and knew nothing about how to make this situation work in my favor. :laugh:

They ranged from 16 to about 20 or so. I was 16, fairly awkward socially, and knew nothing about how to make this situation work in my favor. :laugh:

Well, I'll be 29, only slightly awkward socially, and be able to speculate how to make the situation work in my favor. :confused:

Lloyd Christmas: "So you're sayin' there's a chance?!" :eek:

• Like 1
Well, I'll be 29, only slightly awkward socially, and be able to speculate how to make the situation work in my favor. :confused:

Lloyd Christmas: "So you're sayin' there's a chance?!" :eek:

Just make sure to check IDs before letting any of them ride the Hokie-bus down to pound town!

Call Pyro for bail money.

Just make sure to check IDs before letting any of them ride the Hokie-bus down to pound town!

Well, if this Florida teen girl statutory rape case ends in an acquittal, then I might not have to! :bunny:

Call Pyro for bail money.

I already have him on retainer.

I work in a professional office. We have had the unspoken corporate culture of conservative attire.

Our office hired a new college graduate a few weeks ago. She comes to work each day in tight jeans and cleavage popping out of her top. She is very pretty and in good shape. Her clothes appear expensive quality. Looks like she's ready to hit the bar scene after work. She acts, speaks, and handles business professionally. Just not appropriate clothing for office work IMO.

Us heterosexual men aren't going to tell her how to dress because we enjoy the eye-candy, lol (plus, she's engaged). The other women in the office dress conservatively. Apparently the other women just gossip about it behind her back, but have not brought it up with her.

Women are generally catty and jealous of other women who look better or get more attention from men. Every woman I have had a problem with at work has always been fatter than me, less attractive or unhappily single. These fools have made stupid complaints to HR, "I don't think she's wearing a bra..." (I always wear a bra in public. I have large boobs. :laugh:) or "She wears too much makeup!"

• Like 2
Women are generally catty and jealous of other women who look better or get more attention from men. Every woman I have had a problem with at work has always been fatter than me, less attractive or unhappily single. These fools have made stupid complaints to HR, "I don't think she's wearing a bra..." (I always wear a bra in public. I have large boobs. :laugh:) or "She wears too much makeup!"

You have obviously had the misfortune to work with some very weird women. I really do not see your circumstances as typical of any of the places I have worked at.

• Like 1

I asked my ex (head of a multinational European company) about women dressing provocatively at work. Did he think it was unprofessional? Did he disapprove of it? He said, "It's a bonus." :laugh:

I'd be curious to see what it'd be like working in a place where I was the only guy...

Me too :laugh: especially if a couple of the ladies took a shine to you. :laugh::laugh:

You have obviously had the misfortune to work with some very weird women. I really do not see your circumstances as typical of any of the places I have worked at.

You're right mama. I even had some crazy woman send a threatening email around about me. She got fired, but it was still scary.

No more stupid call centres for me. That is why I returned to school.

You're right mama.

:lmao: Well calling me mama goes a long way to helping women in the work place

:confused:

"Mama" is a term of endearment.

I do not use it in the workplace and I thought that LS was an informal environment. Sorry if you were offended.

• Like 1

No, I would not be intimidated by a woman who dresses provocatively.

It really depends on the industry and her position and who she works with though.

If she worked in a restaurant, I would assume she was trying to get tips, and wouldn't think much of it at all. I'd be all "You go, girl."

If she worked in an industry with mostly men, I would assume she was using her looks to her advantage, and was either quite sly (getting away with more due to all the drooling men around her) or quite insecure (needing validation).

If she worked in corporate America, surrounded by suits, I would assume she was VERY clueless about what was appropriate or expected.

But nah... I don't typically care that much about what other people wear, unless we are talking People of Walmart or something.

Me too :laugh: especially if a couple of the ladies took a shine to you. :laugh::laugh:

You don't poop where you eat... :laugh:

• Like 1
You don't poop where you eat... :laugh:

No I meant the ':confused:' on your face in that situation. It would be priceless :laugh:

:confused:

"Mama" is a term of endearment.

I do not use it in the workplace and I thought that LS was an informal environment. Sorry if you were offended.

Africans call me that sometimes, it's very sweet :)

• Like 1
pureinheart
We aren't intimidated.

In my world - male or female . . . We are all competing for the same leadership positions. From my sales creature days - I would have welcomed her. I knew she would not get high profile accounts that expected you to show up in conservative dress. So it would work in my favor to have someone there that didn't look like a high tier client would expect us to look.

Now where I'm at in my career - its different. I don't where jeans to work in Friday. Casual dress yes . . . But no jeans. If leadership has a command meaning I want to look like I belong in building 4. And the reality is - neither our female CMO or female Staff VP of Sales would be caught dead in jeans on a Friday.

Dress for what you want to be - not what you are. She's sending a message to management that she doesn't want to belong.

It is kind of like the flip of The Devil Wears Prada - dress like a social worker in that environment and expect to be overlooked. Dress like a Club Hostess in a Corporate Environment and expected to be overlooked yet looked "over". In either situation, putting out a message that you don't want to belong ensures you never enter the six figure club while your competitors pass you by.

This is quite powerful.

My job could get really messy during certain processes, so normal "dress" was casual- still I wore "nice" casual because I was representing my company in all things, regardless if the outside world saw it or not.

• Like 1

Yeah I have seen that plenty of times. Women, especially single women, are very cutthroat and competitive with one another and can be really hateful towards single men on the job. Lower-class jobs where employees are forced to compete with one another are especially bad for this.

There is also an element of office politics to it as well. If you're the odd one out on racial or religious issues for example, or other political issues it can paint a target on your back.

For some reason this stuff seems to tail off the higher up you go until you get to the wannabe-top-management types who once again to try screw everyone to get the corner office.

Honestly, I think it is human nature, the only difference is that men have a bit more of a male-honor-camaraderie thing going on. Women are almost all about every-broad-for-herself these days.

Dragonfruit
I work in a professional office. We have had the unspoken corporate culture of conservative attire.

Our office hired a new college graduate a few weeks ago. She comes to work each day in tight jeans and cleavage popping out of her top. She is very pretty and in good shape. Her clothes appear expensive quality. Looks like she's ready to hit the bar scene after work. She acts, speaks, and handles business professionally. Just not appropriate clothing for office work IMO.

Us heterosexual men aren't going to tell her how to dress because we enjoy the eye-candy, lol (plus, she's engaged). The other women in the office dress conservatively. Apparently the other women just gossip about it behind her back, but have not brought it up with her.

"Intimidated" and "gossipy" are kind of loaded words and imo, call the wrong people and behaviors into question, showing that to some extent anyway, new girl's obvious power play is working for her.

Turn the situation around for a minute. Say a brand new, entry level man showed up for work at your job and the women were the bosses. Every morning he conspicuously stuffed the front of his pants to make it appear as if he had a gigantic penis. He did it because got considerable notice, and of course let's not forget the favors that follow, from the senior level women in charge that way. Notice and favors that should be for doing the job well.

Would you consider yourself "intimidated" or "gossipy" for not appreciating his using his sexuality inappropriately to gain the upper hand in the office when it is supposed to be based on education, expertise, time with the company, etc.? Or just grossed out at the cheesy scamminess of the new hire's behavior and by those in charge falling for it so easily? The boss, male or female, is the one whose place it is to explain to her that she will not be turning the professional office into her own personal Hooter's and to dress appropriately, rather than slobbering all over himself.

Edited by Dragonfruit
chucksagent

Dragonfruit - THIS is why women get a bad rep occasionally at companies. Because if a man in my office started doing what you described, I would approach him and ask him what he's doing. I wouldn't be a jerk at all. I would remind him we have a dress code and/or culture in the office, and I realize he is new, but I want to help him out and not allow him to make himself look bad to the bosses.

Men are direct with stuff like this and don't gossip at water coolers about it. Women will act nice to their female co workers face and then rip them apart behind their back (not all women, but some).

The other option is to have HR handle it if the girl isn't living up to the companies expectations. A 2 second email from HR would fix it.

Dragonfruit - THIS is why women get a bad rep occasionally at companies. Because if a man in my office started doing what you described, I would approach him and ask him what he's doing. I wouldn't be a jerk at all. I would remind him we have a dress code and/or culture in the office, and I realize he is new, but I want to help him out and not allow him to make himself look bad to the bosses.

Men are direct with stuff like this and don't gossip at water coolers about it. Women will act nice to their female co workers face and then rip them apart behind their back (not all women, but some).

The other option is to have HR handle it if the girl isn't living up to the companies expectations. A 2 second email from HR would fix it.

Actually, I've noticed that men are worse than women when it comes to office gossip. They can also be much more cruel, in a direct manner.

This isn't a gender thing. People are forced to work with each other, whether they like or respect each other. So coping tools come out, based on corporate culture.

It's much like LS, where you'll find that the "corporate culture" is one where if you're too direct or blunt, "infractions" are received.

• Like 2

Maybe, especially when women accuse you of being provocative when you don't even fit the description that you have provided.

I just skimmed through the comments, but results speak for me. I have been complained about at my previous job, but I'm the one that got a supervisor position with a nice salary. The women that complained about me at my old job were left behind with no promotions and no increase in salary.

Despite what happens in the present or the past, what happens in the future is what matters. Let's look at who is successful in the end and who is not.