It sounds like it might be kind of lonely.

Have you considered actually going to university in person instead of going online?

• Like 1
  • Author
It sounds like it might be kind of lonely.

Have you considered actually going to university in person instead of going online?

If I attended in person, as I am now: THERE ARE NO JOBS.

I would NOT get a part time job whilst studying.

I sm 26 and I looked for 3 years. The mose basic Food Server or waitress and retail jobs, go to YOUNGER ppl. The only way they hire ppl like me, is if we are either managers by now, or if we have a solid 10 years experience.

Being a live in nanny, where they take anyone with some experience with kids and who is pleasant enough to be around, is my ONLY hope of making a dime during my degree.

I do not want to live off the government funding. I need a part time job.

Iive in nannies tend to just work part time, once the kids get home from school for only a couple of hours a day.

I would call my mum and also, my best friend ( he lives in another state) all the time.

Be careful about how much you earn yourself. Depending on what kind of allowance you're on it might be cut off altogether if you earn too much for a certain length of time. Just pop into Centrelink and make sure you know what the thresholds are.

Also be sure that your lecturers can be relied upon to put the class content online for you, and that you will have good internet access all the time. You don't want the internet failing you the morning of an assessment due date.

UpwardForward
If I attended in person, as I am now: THERE ARE NO JOBS.

I would NOT get a part time job whilst studying.

I sm 26 and I looked for 3 years. The mose basic Food Server or waitress and retail jobs, go to YOUNGER ppl. The only way they hire ppl like me, is if we are either managers by now, or if we have a solid 10 years experience.

Being a live in nanny, where they take anyone with some experience with kids and who is pleasant enough to be around, is my ONLY hope of making a dime during my degree.

I do not want to live off the government funding. I need a part time job.

Iive in nannies tend to just work part time, once the kids get home from school for only a couple of hours a day.

I would call my mum and also, my best friend ( he lives in another state) all the time.

The lifestyle you've described of taking care of children after school for a couple of hours a day, and hanging out on the telephone (or online), sounds like that of a teenage sitter.

Why would they need for you to live in, or even take your seriously?

Edited by UpwardForward
  • Like 1
Why would they need for you to live in, or even take your seriously?

Have you seen how big Australia is? And it's seriously roomy. Like you could drive around for two days straight and not see a single living creature, let alone civilisation. I'm not sure how rural Leigh is talking here, but if it's a small town they'd need her to move in because there's no way they can expect her to commute for three hours. Even in a town of 100 or 200 people nanny services would be pretty scarce, so they're bringing a nanny in from elsewhere. It's a pretty common arrangement around here.

• Like 1
UpwardForward
Have you seen how big Australia is? And it's seriously roomy. Like you could drive around for two days straight and not see a single living creature, let alone civilisation. I'm not sure how rural Leigh is talking here, but if it's a small town they'd need her to move in because there's no way they can expect her to commute for three hours. Even in a town of 100 or 200 people nanny services would be pretty scarce, so they're bringing a nanny in from elsewhere. It's a pretty common arrangement around here.

Makes sense Queenie. So because of isolation and scarcity of help, expectations aren't as high.

• Author

Yes Queenie.

For instance: I have looked after kids before, I am good at my job, and I have worked in the hospitality industry for a few years on and off throughout Uni and my studies.

Sadly, that experience is not enough in 97% of cases here. At my age they would rather high a younger, better looking girl in her early 20's or late teens, who they can pay less (if their below 20)

I am 26, and there are only really managerial opportunities for me, pertaining to the only jobs I Can go for; waitressing retail and nanny jobs.

Nanny jobs are the least fussy in SOME cases, where they simple want a nice girl that is honest, reliable and pleasant to be around; that also has a couple of references and SOME experience with kids.

The big nanny agencies need more experience than what I have, so I Just go for smaller jobs with families that just need a nice enough girl to come along and look after their kid. With references and a BIT of experience.

The nanny positions seem to be my only hope.

I am a happy and positive person so I see the joy in life in any predicament really.

I would enjoy myself living in a new place, earning some extra cash, while I study for my dream career.

All I need to be happy is: my health, to be able to relax online at night after studying and the nannying, and to have time for a jog 3 days a week.

I do not go out or... do things. I am a student and have no money. Although my parents offer it to me I do not want to burden them.

I would save for overseas trips and also towards my future if I get the nanny gig.

• Author
Be careful about how much you earn yourself. Depending on what kind of allowance you're on it might be cut off altogether if you earn too much for a certain length of time. Just pop into Centrelink and make sure you know what the thresholds are.

Also be sure that your lecturers can be relied upon to put the class content online for you, and that you will have good internet access all the time. You don't want the internet failing you the morning of an assessment due date.

You get Aus study if you study at least 3 subjects. 4 is the maximum most people can opt to do.

I have already asked people at the welfare department here in Aus what the go is.

They only take money off if you earn a lot. Not the 200 bucks extra week I would be getting.

200 bucks a week is a lot to save over a year or two.

I dunno, Leigh... I know this is all speculation, since we don't know if you got the job.

But if you are able to survive on student allowance in the worst case scenario, I think it would be best for you to attend uni IRL in this case. You could still look for jobs on campus.

You see, in my previous short course, we did have all the content online, and because I had issues with insomnia and Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome at the time, I ended up using that a lot instead of going to classes physically. Now, my grades were not a problem. I came out with a 3.9 GPA.

What WAS a problem, is that I did not get the full experience of the course. I made very few new friends in my career path, I got to know very few people in the industry. All of that is important. University is about networking as well. It's about the experience - learning to make new friends, participating in events, getting to know people in your line of work, learning social skills.

I do not believe it is worth giving all of that up for a paycheck every month, when you are able to live without one.

• Like 1
  • Author

I am pretty sure I just got a job for a local nanny position. Just an Indian lady who wants me to do household duties, train her ( I am a personal trainer by trade) and look after her kids.

I live locally and she likes me.

I go for an interview later.

It would not be a stable job though - she would just get someone else if she was not super impressed.

That is what I like about that rural job in the small town in an isolated area: they get you in and you STAY there for a SET amount of time! Even if they do not like you. Which would not happen to me, as I am affable and a hard worker.

• Author
I dunno, Leigh... I know this is all speculation, since we don't know if you got the job.

But if you are able to survive on student allowance in the worst case scenario, I think it would be best for you to attend uni IRL in this case. You could still look for jobs on campus.

You see, in my previous short course, we did have all the content online, and because I had issues with insomnia and Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome at the time, I ended up using that a lot instead of going to classes physically. Now, my grades were not a problem. I came out with a 3.9 GPA.

What WAS a problem, is that I did not get the full experience of the course. I made very few new friends in my career path, I got to know very few people in the industry. All of that is important. University is about networking as well. It's about the experience - learning to make new friends, participating in events, getting to know people in your line of work, learning social skills.

I do not believe it is worth giving all of that up for a paycheck every month, when you are able to live without one.

Elswyth,

I already have friends and family I can talk to. I do not need to full Uni experience enough to justify not working part time.

I would be happier earning some extra cash and missing out on meeting new people at Uni, than I would be attending Uni in person with NO HOPE of earning ANY money for FOUR years......

I just don't like the idea of full time study with no employment prospects. Low paid nanny positions from people who do not need a nanny from an agency or a person with childcare certificates, is my ONLY option really.

It is my only option because: I am good with kids, in spite of the fact that I do not want my own, I love interacting with families who are at least SORT OF nice, and I am a hard worker.

I am good at waitressing but I do not have enough experience. For instance, I have forgot how to make coffee. Despite being excellent with my presentation and the fact the customers love me ( actual feedback I get), I Cannot afford a barista course for 250 dollars.

And no, it is not as easy as just pretending you can make coffee on the machine. You would be forced to make them at break neck speed, with a machine you have never used ( they all vary) , and with no room to be anything less than SUPER experienced.

It is NOT easy to be a waitress of work in a café if you cannot make fast, good coffee, and be young enough to get he job.

By my age they do not even consider me even when I do a fantastic job; if I cannot make coffee, they can find a person younger who they can pay less, and who can make coffee.

I think the interview later will go well. She liked me which is good, she wants me around a lot lol to help with everything.

A few things spring to mind.

First, I tend to agree with Elswyth about the benefits of on-campus education, simply because I absolutely loathe online courses. I just learn better in a classroom. Now if you're sure that you love online classes you'll be fine, but it's something to consider.

Second, if this rural family decides they do not like you, they will not keep you on regardless. Even if you have a fixed-term contract with them. Because no decent parent will leave their children in the hands of someone they do not like. I'm sure you're a good worker, but don't kid yourself there's some guarantee just because they live in Nowheresville NSW.

Also, you don't have to give up on other jobs. There are plenty of jobs which require no previous experience in anything. Have a look at some random job ads and you'd be surprised at the sorts of things you never even thought of, but which you could do well. And mall stores are always hiring, not to mention supermarkets. Remember that you're doing courses (I hope) towards a career you really want. Maybe try looking for entry-level positions in that field, it'll give you a good headstart for when you've graduated.

• Like 1
  • Author

I know your trying to help but..

The super markets ARE NOT always hiring!!!!!!!!!

The staff at the main outlets in Aus have staff who ARE CLIMBING OVER EACH OTHER for extra shifts.

Honestly, it is VERY rare they look for new staff that are mature ages. I know this to be fact. I am with several employment agencies. They know the supermarkets do not often hire. I knew it anyway, from chatting to people in store - they say that they want to cut shifts from the current staff as it is, and use current staff to fill more shifts.

I know your only trying to help, however; it feels a bit condescending how you assume that there are ALWAYS jobs around that I will get eventually.

There really are no jobs. When they DO become available, it is only for younger staff or staff with more experience than me.

I even offer to go in in my own time to learn how to make coffees better, and they say "sorry your great, but there are 100 resumes that have experienced baristas"

And I did well online with Uni before, I got high distinctions part time online, with courses I hated but I worked very hard.

I do not give a crap about the real life uni experience, as I now have enough good friends and my mum I can ring every night if I move away and get lonely. Thanks for your concern though, it was something to consider.

The real life uni experience means nothing to me if I am without work for 4 years of the degree.

It sucks not having money of my own.

• Author

And the last two years of my social work degree puts you in full time placement; my degree has an extremely HIGH rate of getting graduates a job, due to the hands on experience.

The pay is average though. It is what I want to do in life though, and I will be fulfilled doing a job that is all about helping the people that need it the most. It is not as crazy in AUS as it is in the US when social workers go to very dangerous neighbourhoods where their cars get stolen and etc.

I am striving for a job that is my dream and not the highest paid or most prestigious. I got into a dietetics degree which I turned down as I would rather do what I love than strive for something just because it makes me look more successful in the eyes of some people.

That is my goal and I am attending college/uni to achieve it in the next 4 to 5 years.

I hope like hell I can be a pizza delivery driver or a nanny or something.

I have a car and GPS and pizza deliverers are the only jobs that ARE always going.

Mall stores? Not so much. Staff are also killing each other for more shifts. I am serious.

Waitressing and mall/retail outlets are very rare insofar as new opportunities arising due to there not being enough hours for the current staff.

So yeah, only a delivery drive or nanny are really legit options to me. It highly unlikely I will get a waitressing job since I cannot make coffee without them showing me how to use their machine first.

Leigh,

Jobs are not guaranteed after you graduate. Y'know? That's why knowing people is important.

I actually do better with online learning than physical classes - I'm more efficient, I learn faster because I don't need to follow the class's pace, etc. But I still wish I had been able to go in person. The few people I did get to know, in my career path, have been invaluable to me. In grad school currently, I can do almost all my work at home if I want to. But whenever I can manage, I still make myself go to campus, a few times a week. Because knowing people is important.

I honestly think you have a tendency to prioritize the short term over the long term. And in the end, it is your life and your decision. I just hope you won't regret it after it is over.

• Author
Leigh,

Jobs are not guaranteed after you graduate. Y'know? That's why knowing people is important.

I actually do better with online learning than physical classes - I'm more efficient, I learn faster because I don't need to follow the class's pace, etc. But I still wish I had been able to go in person. The few people I did get to know, in my career path, have been invaluable to me. In grad school currently, I can do almost all my work at home if I want to. But whenever I can manage, I still make myself go to campus, a few times a week. Because knowing people is important.

I honestly think you have a tendency to prioritize the short term over the long term. And in the end, it is your life and your decision. I just hope you won't regret it after it is over.

My long term desire is to: earn my degree, and to have some savings.

Although social work has an extremely high rate of leading to paid employment, I do want some savings in the case that it takes me a year to get a job, or if I have to move for a social work position (to pay for flights and accommodation)

And I hear you about the online VS face to face college experience.

However, my values and my desires are not determined on whether I spend the full 4 years attending the degree in person, ON campus.

I will at least do one year on campus, I probably won't even get the nanny position.

I will likely just get p*ssy jobs on a rare basis without even securing a part time student job.

Mme. Chaucer

Leigh, it's really difficult to try to engage with you and take you seriously when you are wildly inconsistent and change your stories constantly.

I have worked in the hospitality industry for a few years on and off throughout Uni and my studies.

Throughout Uni? When have you spent any significant time in school in your adult life? Certainly never since you've been posting here.

I am a personal trainer by trade

You are? Because I remember having much back and forth with you about why do didn't work as a personal trainer; you had many many reasons why you would and could not work in that field, one being that it's illegal to do it in Aus without a certification, which you do not have.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I think you're doing it again - going off in a zillion different directions and not even paying any attention to reality.

Why not keep it simple.

Live in your parents home, since they seem fine with it.

GO TO SCHOOL and STAY THERE until you are finished with your course. NO MATTER WHAT DISTRACTIONS PRESENT THEMSELVES.

GO TO A THERAPIST. And, stick with that until you get some of your issues sorted out.

Learn how to FOCUS. If you have severe ADD and / or OCD, maybe some meds could help you do that.

That would be enough for you at this stage IMO.

• Like 2
  • Author

To clarify

- I AM a qualified trainer, cert 4 - but my membership ran out and I need to pay up or I am not aloud to train people, except off the record and not in gyms. You know, just friends and people who want tips. I know the exercises to be doing, I have just been too lazy to do them myself lately lol.

- The lady I am about to see wanted tips for pilates and core work that is gentle, which I know a lot about, having trained a lot of people in this regard.

- I AM STAYING in my degree no MATTER WHAT.

- yes until this point I was unsure of what I wanted to achieve in life, it took me a few years on here to decide what I want to do with my life. I have tried a few different options. They were not what I wanted, so I know even more about what works for me, and what I want out of life.

- All I want is to stay in Uni while I get part time work.

- I am open to online Uni, as I have done well at this before.

That is all.

• Author

I just got the job with the Indian family. They are very nice with is a big plus!

I start tonight.

I'll just get to know the young children, read to them, bath them and etc.

I will also do the ironing and cleaning.

It's only about 10 hours a week although it will sometimes be more or less.

This is SO much better than working in a restaurant ugh

YAY I can save a little for travel!

• Like 2
her early 20's or late teens, who they can pay less (if their below 20)

I am 26, and there are only really managerial opportunities for me, pertaining to the only jobs I Can go for; waitressing retail and nanny jobs.

You keep saying there are no jobs. But seriously, is it really that hard for people to break into lower-level jobs in retail, fast food and waitressing in Australia? Here in the USA, I see older folks (even people who should be retired) working even in fast food restaurants. I know 30 year olds who still waitress and whatnot. Surely the ceiling isn't that high there. I'm older than you by a couple of years and I know if I were to apply to 10 places this week, I'd get at least one call back. But then again I have a pretty stable work history. If you don't have a stable work history, places are more iffy to call you, but even then it wouldn't be THAT hard to get retail. These places have high turnover so typically yes they are always hiring somewhere.

Edited by RachR
  • Like 1
Why not keep it simple.

Live in your parents home, since they seem fine with it.

GO TO SCHOOL and STAY THERE until you are finished with your course. NO MATTER WHAT DISTRACTIONS PRESENT THEMSELVES.

GO TO A THERAPIST. And, stick with that until you get some of your issues sorted out.

Learn how to FOCUS. If you have severe ADD and / or OCD, maybe some meds could help you do that.

That would be enough for you at this stage IMO.

I think this is the most realistic and sound advice based on what I have read so far. We're just internet strangers, but really, please consider this.

You get to work 10 hours per week and save a little for travel? Lucky you. I mean it, you're lucky your parents will support you financially, many people don't have that option. Please take advantage of that and heed the above advice.

Edited by RachR
  • Like 4
  • Author
You keep saying there are no jobs. But seriously, is it really that hard for people to break into lower-level jobs in retail, fast food and waitressing in Australia? Here in the USA, I see older folks (even people who should be retired) working even in fast food restaurants. I know 30 year olds who still waitress and whatnot. Surely the ceiling isn't that high there. I'm older than you by a couple of years and I know if I were to apply to 10 places this week, I'd get at least one call back. But then again I have a pretty stable work history. If you don't have a stable work history, places are more iffy to call you, but even then it wouldn't be THAT hard to get retail. These places have high turnover so typically yes they are always hiring somewhere.

It never used to be this hard here in Aus

Now though, it is VERY hard.

Very hard.

It is not as hard to get a trial; an interview and then you work for free for a day.

To get past the trial? VERY VERY hard. In fact, some restaurants keep trying out waitresses for a day, cos they get FREE LABOUR for a month until they finally pick a waitress.

Times are hard okay: CURRENT staff in retain and waitressing positions ALL try to kill each other for more shifts.

• Author

RachR - I want to get away from the area I live in, just for half a year until X mas.

My ex and my 2 dogs as well as his 2 dogs who I loved like my own, are a 20 min drive from where I live.

Trust me. IF you loved dogs, and if you slept in bed every night and cuddled your adorable little dog in your sleep every night for years, it would be VERY hard for you to just live around the corner' from that dog, that you can no longer ever see again.

I Just want to get out of here, away from my break up.

I will have a few thousand saved for X mas too, if I got the job.

I find out today or tomorrow whether or not I get the live in nanny position.

My mum is then thinking about settling up a business down here in Aus that she would get me to run part time (selling goods from China, pearls and pashminas) to people in retirement homes (that have money).

She looks after my sick father and I, who both do not work. She would triple her income if she set the business up and it was a success.

SO yeah, the live in job would only be for the last half of the year anyway!

Enough to get over my ex at least with no temptation.

• Like 1
  • Author

I GOT THE JOB.

I am to move hours away, to live witj a REALLY nice family, in their hotel and pub.

I'll be working behind the bar, and helping the mother look after her young child as well as her newborn that will arrive literally just ad I arrive to begin the job.

I will be study online part time, while I will try to get as many shifts at the bar as possible.

As little as a month ago, I was living with the guy who I thought I was going to marry. I could nit even I imagine being apart from him.

Now, I will be moving well away from him and our old life together.

He always allude to wanting to see me again after my trip to try to see if we could work

things out. He was definitely not wanting the break up to be forever.

Now I cam not only cut him off, but there will be no temptation to go and see him and my dogs. It is hard when I drive near them.... it feels bad to not turn into their road to see them.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm SO happy.

I get to not only work towards my degree, but to save money whilst doing it.

And- I got that job last night where a nice Indian family wamt me to help them iron, clean up kids toys amd look after their kids. I get to do that in the meanwhile, once or twice a week.

• Like 1