They don't hire you If you haven't worked in a while?

Yes, its certainly been my experience that the best time to get a new job is when you are currently working.

I think employers are looking for a signal relating to 'drive'. Even in depressed economies there is _always_ work available, it just may not be work you'd prefer to be doing or work at the same pay or level you are qualified to work at.

At my work I'm in a position of hiring and firing. I get to go through resumes and cut down applicants to short listing and interview. I have to be honest, if I'm looking at applications from say 100 engineers for a single job, those who are working get top listing... and it doesn't matter if they are flipping burgers currently or delivering junk mail .. the fact that they are driven enough to keep working, even outside their chosen profession, scores high marks.

Mumbles, when you're hiring for a position what qualities do you look for and what qualities stand out to you? What impresses you in a cover letter that sways you to contact those particular people, over dozens or hundreds of other applicants?

Just picking your brain :p

• Like 1
Well I actually only had 3 interviews for a position that was full-time with benefits between Jan and December

All the other interviews consisted of

hiring fair

temp job for $11 an hour

part-time job

So out of the three full-time opportunities I was rejected by 2 and accepted by 1. That ratio probably would have continued if there was more full-time opportunities.

Ok, so you had 3 interviews in 9 months. This shows that sometimes no matter what your experience or motivation, an employer will not know any of that if your resume ends up lost in cyber space. Of course you can show your enthusiasm in the interview, but because of the lack of jobs, it can take over a hundred resumes sent just to get an interview or two. So there are many motivated individuals out there, but an employer would never know without meeting them. :(

Mumbles, when you're hiring for a position what qualities do you look for and what qualities stand out to you? What impresses you in a cover letter that sways you to contact those particular people, over dozens or hundreds of other applicants?

Just picking your brain :p

Camillalev, if you don't mind me answering. For us the first 5 seconds, cover letter doesn't mean a lot, resume needs to be easy to read and the new format where people list their achievements and then a very brief chronological history doesn't read well at all.

We like a traditional style resume, position listed and detailed description of job duties. We look for relevant work, certain concepts/companies carry more weight than others as we like their philosophies and procedures. We look for someone that isn't too over qualified or too under qualified, geographical area relevant, and similar roles to the one recruiting for.

For the majority of operations' positions, we then go to a phone interview and deep dive the employment history and ask pertinent questions to learn more about the person, their thought processes, accomplishments and areas of opportunity. We want energy, drive but not too much drive as we are looking for someone that is looking for immediate promotions (we are a fast growing company that many want to get into but want to be at the executive level and immediately!), if they are team oriented, humble, and solution driven.

Ok, so you had 3 interviews in 9 months. This shows that sometimes no matter what your experience or motivation, an employer will not know any of that if your resume ends up lost in cyber space. Of course you can show your enthusiasm in the interview, but because of the lack of jobs, it can take over a hundred resumes sent just to get an interview or two. So there are many motivated individuals out there, but an employer would never know without meeting them. :(

This is why I behoove candidates to link up with recruiters in their field and have them help do the work for you. Many companies utilize outside recruiters for different positions, the fee is on their end but free to the candidate. It may not produce your dream job but it sure will help your search out.

And start linking to people on LinkedIn. Most recruiters utilize it and a great way to find out about positions.

I do not like to hire a person with experience in my field, fire prevention and suppression. I have done that and ended up with people who do not know the codes and who have been taught to do crap work. I do not have the patience or time to break the bad habits and then teach how I expect the job to be done.

Send me your job application by way of the employment agency. I prefer hand written applications. Most companies will not/cannot give me any information if you list jobs more than 3 years ago. All information needs to be easily verifiable. Don't use references such as your preacher. He will tell me you are a wonderful person who needs a job and do a good job. If you can weld, bend sheet metal, cut and thread pipe, I may ask you to perform those simple tasks for me. If you bull**** me, I will not hire you. I get nervous if I see gaps in employment history w/o a justifiable and verifiable explanation. My experience has been gaps in employment or short term employment of 1 year or less is an indication of a lazy person or a person who does not have good work ethics. Don't tell me you have been tending bar or waitressing or any other under-the-table job, unless you can provide names, phone numbers and addresses of who you worked for. If you have been in rehab or jail, don't lie to me. We work in rehabs and jails, and I will find out you lied. Don't show up to an interview late, dressed in torn or dirty clothing. Be clean, don't smell bad, don't swear, don't smoke in my office. Don't tell me what *******s your previous/present employer is/was. I don't care, and if your employment with my company does not work out, you will run me down.

DO NOT LIE OR BS Me! Oregon is an at will state. I do not need a reason to fire you and you do not need a reason to fire me. If things do not work out, and your lies and lazynes caused your fireing, I will fight paying you unemployment. If you were straight, and you tried, I may tell tell the claims person you do deserve the benefits.

If I like your job application, your references remember you and recommend you, I may call you. I do a phone interview, going into the depth the job responsibilities, the work we do and the hours we work. I may call you for a person to person interview. My girlfriend will listen in and we will discuss you. If you are still in the running, I will schedule another interview. At that interview, I introduce you to the other employees. They interview you. I just listen. I allow about 30 to 45 minutes, then you leave and we talk about you. If everybody likes you, I call you back and arrange for you to come to work. You work with other employees for a day. We talk about how you are doing, and your attitude. If every one is positive, you work with me for a day. If we like you, and you like us, I may hire you. You are on probation for 90 days.

I look for good workers, who are pleasant to be around, can speak w/o using the F word. People who respect others. I supply uniform shirts, tools, a van, cell phone, paid training, vacation, paid holidays, and a variable work schedule. I allow unpaid time off to see the kids ball games, school programs. If you work with me, I buy lunch. I pay motel and meals for out of town work. I let you take your small kids to work, depending on what the job is and where the job is.

If you lie or cheat me or my customers or other employees, you are gone.

Edited by firemanq
spelling
  • Like 1
Because nobody I know ever got a job from being on the site. So many people run to that site like it's a magical job site and put this in their headline

"Unemployed and Actively Looking" :eek:

Philly, really? How many people do you know? My company and my industry recruits heavily through LinkedIn. Many are connected through groups on it and between that and industry focused associations, we look towards these areas to find people. We minimally recruit through CareerBuilder, Monster, etc. And we do post a good deal on Craig's list for lower level positions.

I just watched three video interviews today and all three came through LinkedIn.

• Like 1

An employer told me when they see gaps of employment they automatically assume you've been incarcerated. Employers want to see that you've done something productive with your time when not employed. When you're busy it keeps you fresh and your skills up to date.

Remember an idle mind is the devil's workshop!

I just went on an interview & was asked about my employment history. They said I hadn't worked since 2010. I told them I've had short term jobs & volunteered. At first he tried to make it seem like I've been lazy & I got nervous he'd turn me down. He spoke to his colleague & then I was okay & got what I needed. I also explained how difficult it is in this economy to find work in general.

• Like 1
Because nobody I know ever got a job from being on the site. So many people run to that site like it's a magical job site and put this in their headline

"Unemployed and Actively Looking" :eek:

Linkedin, when used correctly, can absolutely help you find a job.

My dad got contacted by a headhunter who found him through linkedin. When I was unemployed, I reached out to the connections I had on linkedin.

They also have job postings there as well, though I've never used it.

It's far from a useless tool.

• Like 1

Well, lucky for me I've been volunteering & was in school in 2012. But the finances have run out. This is for a training program where they'll coach me after completing training. It's for CDL driving, not my preferred way of making $$$ but I figured free training & job placement isn't a bad deal.

I tried another free CDL school & the guy outright told me he had a problem with my work history, yet this school enrolls felons right out of prison & on parole. :eek:

• Like 1

OK Philly Dude, how'd you make it appear there was about to be an employer? Tweeking of resumes may be entirely necessary in this economy lol

Not true, I was unemployed from december 2011 to December 2012 and found a job in December of 2012.

And gaps don't mean anything, if you have the right skills and experience you will be called

I agree and also presentation is everything too! You need to present to the employer you are thrilled about the particular job along with having the right skills they are seeking in an employee.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment, but employers don't want to hear it. This can actually cost you an interview:

6 Sure Ways to Sabotage Your Job Search - Yahoo! Finance

I agree that #4 is excellent advice. Blaming the economy just makes you sound like an unmotivated whiner and no employer wants to hire someone like that. I think it is better to focus on how you've used your time to better yourself and sharpen your skills while searching for permanent work.

Also any employer who thinks that volunteering or short term/temp gigs aren't a productive use of time probably isn't an employer worth bothering with. Honestly, would they prefer you say you've been watching tv? LOL. If I were a hiring manager I'd take the candidate getting up every day to work for free over the couch potato any day.

• Like 1

Volunteer work while you are looking I would think looks better than doing nothing and looking. I can see your point. Volunteering for something that is dear to you can also make someone feel more positive while looking and still contributing. There are plenty of animals, senior citizens, and children that would also appreciate the kindness.:D When one finds a job they can always continue volunteer work part time.

You are supposed to volunteer when you are interested in helping people not to fill in a employment gap.

If someone is going to give volunteer advice it should be connected to their field of interest which can be ongoing and not just a resume a gap filler.

It can do both actually. I have done volunteer projects simply because I was passionate about them and others because they allowed me to explore the career I'm transitioning into. I think what really matters is if you're using any skills on those volunteer projects that are relevant to the job you are applying for. For example: as a volunteer I do a lot of community outreach and that means constantly talking to strangers about services offered and why they are needed, soliciting donations, and recruiting volunteers. I applied for a sales job and got it because they agreed those skills were transferable. Now had I applied for an accounting job and tried to say that my community outreach skills were relevant to my ability to do math calculations they probably would have given me a strange look lol.

I think it also matters how long you've chosen to do a volunteer project. I have projects that I've done for years and that certainly doesn't make them just filler for my resume. But if you're going to do a project for just a week or two that probably won't look favorable on your resume.

I became what's known as a 'discouraged worker'. It's happening nowadays, those who constantly apply & don't get hired. I've applied to beauty stores, supermarkets, janitorial, customer service & just kept getting no replies. Reached out to friends & family,still nothing! Finally free training & placement came up & I start training tomorrow. I'm so glad this opportunity has presented itself.:D

• Like 2

I agree getting discouraged is hard and I know many in this boat. Key is to keep going...if you get discouraged and stop applying, you will never find a job. If you keep going...even for over a year, you will eventually find a job. The latter sounds better IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree getting discouraged is hard and I know many in this boat. Key is to keep going...if you get discouraged and stop applying, you will never find a job. If you keep going...even for over a year, you will eventually find a job. The latter sounds better IMO.

Provided you even find a job to begin with.

Never thought getting $400 every 2 weeks jobs is this harsh to acquire. Sounds like I need a 4-year degree to get those jobs these days.

Apparently, I'm not worthy of that anymore despite applying to them en masse and having experience in one of the stores within that same work area.

If you keep trying, you will eventually find a job. Employers will see your persistence. Don't be one of those who blame the economy in the interview for the reason you cannot find a job.

If you keep trying, you will eventually find a job. Employers will see your persistence. Don't be one of those who blame the economy in the interview for the reason you cannot find a job.

It's almost 5 years since I left Target.

I don't know how much patience I'm supposed to have but I doubt looking for employment for 5 years, especially when I don't have proof showing this, is going to make me more valuable than those who has worked during that time period.

Esp. if they got a degree in something as well as working.

It's hard not to give up. If I can't get a job at McDonald's or Burger King, then what can I do?

It's almost 5 years since I left Target.

I don't know how much patience I'm supposed to have but I doubt looking for employment for 5 years, especially when I don't have proof showing this, is going to make me more valuable than those who has worked during that time period.

Esp. if they got a degree in something as well as working.

It's hard not to give up. If I can't get a job at McDonald's or Burger King, then what can I do?

You haven't been able to find an entry level job in the past five years?

Have you applied to every restaurant, store, and hotel in the entire city more than once?

It just seems really off to me that you can't find an entry level job in all that time.

Do they think i'm a disgrace to life, a ball of garbage?

I'm basically unemployed and yeah I'm not really looking now. Cause i've tried and i failed.

But anyways, i see all these office people with fancy jobs.

i have not worked in 3 years.

If i go back to working, i won't get hired just because I haven't worked?

Is that how employers see you? That just because you fail to work for a long period, that that means you are not good for them?

I'm saying this cause one time when i tried applying to a job and they saw i had a big gap. They said no thank you. your resume looks good but you have big gap.

and they didn't want to give me a chance anymore.

Thing is, so what if i have a big gap? What if i wanted to relax for a while?

One method that I've used to explain a huge gap is simply school. I took the time out to further my education to add more value to my current and future workplace.