Degree Necessary for A 'Good Job'

You don't have to be a personal trainer at a gym. Go to people instead of having them come to you. Think outside of the box.

• Author
You don't have to be a personal trainer at a gym. Go to people instead of having them come to you. Think outside of the box.

I am considering starting this over our Aussie summer, before study starts in Feb.

I have a good friend who would tell me how HE got started, and my parents think it is a good idea to market myself to older Australians, which there is an abundance of where I live.

Working at gyms on the other hand, is SO competetive and has a negative vibe about it.

• Author
Again I find this as ironic and a financial adviser who can't balance their own budget...

College is a business, and should be treated as such. Patronized only when that person knows what they want. Such a huge investment of time and money, it's not a department store. Most economist would advise against college as there's no ROI, but it would take a degree to actually realize that.

I have a BA in general studies and hopefully with get a graduate degree in a hard science once I'm doen working over seas.. Looking like physics, personally. You can't F*** with a physics degrees, as opposed to someone who sit's down with a Philosophy degree, wrong millennium ;)

I personally think it's best to get a more general, or broad degree. Work/career usually isn't what we've learn but an ends up being who we know, or by luck in most cases. Having a broad degree will at least blanket cover a general intelligence and not something specific like Spanish Literature (i know a dude).

Well I am going to ask a career advisor who is an expert on the matter, to asvise me what my best options are.

I am considerying studying nutrition again. I enjoyed the science element of it a lot!

There was minimal math; just stats for like.. one semester? Not more than a year of math involved, and in fact prob only 6 months of maths, and only stats which I have NO issue with.

If nutritionists make a good sallary I will likely do that.

I am also going to ask about teaching. My mother has been a teacher for almost 40 years, and is fantastic at her job.

I sort of feel like it is in my genes to teach; everyone around me says I would make a good teacher

I think Teachers get 70K as a base rate. But I would likely need my masters, to rise above the high competition.

hmmm, decisions decisions!

• Author
Will you please answer this? It is my third try with the same question:

Do you have "general education" in Australia? This is the part of undergraduate studies here in the US that every student has to complete, regardless of what they end up majoring in. The general ed might vary between people interested in pursuing math/science majors and those who don't, but they cover basic education.

Do you have that, or do you not?

As I said, it is rare for college students to have their solid career choice made before their first day of school here. You make it sound like it's a requirement there.

Is it? Or can you just get busy with your general education when the

semester starts, and worry about your major later?

Ahh, I think "general studies" translate here in Aus to " core units", which , if you will, are subjects you HAVE to do.

Then there are the subjects you PICK. And then there is a major you pick AT THE END.

I am fairly certain it works something like that; although it has been since 2010 since I studied. I'll find out sure enough early next week or Friday arvo, when I intend on going to the Uni to seek out a career proffessional advisor.

Lastly, general math is not required, not even for nutrition; although u have to do statistics, which I do not mind. I just hate the stupid pointless math where you get problems...

The general math I opted for OVER stats for nutrition was so.. useless, I am telling you, you would NEVER apply it as a nutritionist.

I WELCOME getting a basic mathamatics education, but I so wish it was math you could apply as an adult, to your every day life! Not just a bunch of useless problems you think "wtf, how wil I EVER remember or USE this information?"

I do not believe you should "proove yourself" simply to show your "smart enough at math" to GET a degree!!!!!!!!!!!!

A degree should be awarded if you read a lot and work HARD to pass exams, and submit assignments ON TIME for 3 plus years.

I could not care less if my nutritionists is fantastic at her job, can rewad and make gr aphs, but SUCKS at math in general!!!!!!!

The apptitude to excell as a nutritionists or social worker, does not require you know math beyond reading and understanding basic graphs......

Didn't read the thread but will opine 'good job' is as much or more who one knows as it is what one knows or what credentials one has, especially in a difficult economy.

ETA, one can 'create' their own job by starting their own business or inventing their own 'product'.

Edited by carhill
  • Author
Didn't read the thread but will opine 'good job' is as much or more who one knows as it is what one knows or what credentials one has, especially in a difficult economy.

ETA, one can 'create' their own job by starting their own business or inventing their own 'product'.

I don't really have what it takes to be successull all on my own; I think I need a degree to stear me in the right direction.

Of course people can be widely successfull without degree; I am talking about the general population, without the talent and drive to make it for themselves without a degree; what are WE to do?

IMO, anyone smart enough and driven enough to pursue a university education and complete it successfully can easily translate that same intelligence and drive into self-directed life ambition. Perhaps that education has changed from when I went to university 35 years ago, but IMO the general parameters still apply; only the focus is different.

No one makes one go to class.

No one makes one get up in the morning and think of a new way to pay the bills today.

Respecting a recent thread you started on house cleaning, you might want to read about Dallen Peterson, the man who started MerryMaids. Take a simple idea, some faith, and knowing the right people, and there ya go. One anecdote of millions.

IMO, anyone smart enough and driven enough to pursue a university education and complete it successfully can easily translate that same intelligence and drive into self-directed life ambition. Perhaps that education has changed from when I went to university 35 years ago, but IMO the general parameters still apply; only the focus is different.

No one makes one go to class.

No one makes one get up in the morning and think of a new way to pay the bills today.

Respecting a recent thread you started on house cleaning, you might want to read about Dallen Peterson, the man who started MerryMaids. Take a simple idea, some faith, and knowing the right people, and there ya go. One anecdote of millions.

College has nothing to do with ambition for me, I have PTSD from college because it caused me so much stress.

I've seen the dumbest of the dumb graduate easily, and far more intelligent people not because of the setup.

I put 0 importance on an education for most regular jobs, but companies just arbitrarily require it. "Oh, you have 20 years experience but no degree? Sorry, can't hire you" type of nonsense.

It's far different than it used to be, that's for sure. Everyone has a degree and they're mostly meaningless. People get jobs with degrees from unaccredited schools like University of Phoenix every day.

I recently called a trade school, and to get an HVAC cert. it costs $25,000 for a ONE YEAR cert. That's insane.

• Like 1
I say getting a degree isn't worth the paper its printed on with out experience. Also if you have no degree but experience you'll be able to get a good job.

I think both are necessary nowadays. I know people with degrees and with no experience who cannot get a job and I know someone who was out of work for 6 years after being laid off from her previous job...because she had the experience, but no degree. So the experience was worthless. She finally managed to get a job that paid much less than before. I think both go hand in hand.

Social work is poorly paid and not worth going into debt. How about some sort of sales job, not retail, if you have a good personality? Pharmaceutical sales pays well and they prefer attractive women.

Actually, I do agree with this one. Sociology is actually one of the worst majors next to Psychology. If you like that type of work, I wouldn't recommend getting a degree, I don't think the compensation is worth the student debt.

• Like 1
  • Author

Guys, I am seriously thinking about going back to my initial food science degree!

I think, because there is a lot of science involved ( and minimalk math, only stats which I do not mind at all) the pay WILL BE GOOD.

Although I would want to be a nutritionist eventually, I would be able to get a job as a food researcher or scientist in the meanwhile, and ear good cash.

I will do it part time at first, so as to save and travel (and hence WORK a lot) an d then study FULL TIME once the travel bug is out of my system.

I need to get a good tutor, do the university bridging courses BEFORE the degree starts, and obviously spend some of my money on a tutor.

I will need to take advantage of the student support services, as I hate math and will need all the help I can get that is free or cheap.

SERIOUSLY thinking about it, guys.

I enjoy science, I have done a but of the food science degree, and maybe it is a welcome break from bloody essay writing.

• Author
Actually, I do agree with this one. Sociology is actually one of the worst majors next to Psychology. If you like that type of work, I wouldn't recommend getting a degree, I don't think the compensation is worth the student debt.

A good friend of mine is doing social sciences.

I met her at Uni, when we were both doing food science!

She changed her degree to social sciences, because she wass told it was a growing industry, and she would EASILY get work.

She expects to make about 50K a year.

• Author

Shiit.

I think sociology is the only degree I can do..

Nutrition/food science is RIDDLED with very difficuly science and u do math or one semester ( useless math the type I hate) then you pick stats or physics for another semester.

90% of the students FAILED nutrition miserably. Even the ones doing it PART TIME.

....I do not think I am honestly smart enough to study a full on science degree.

F*CK.

I mean, there are worst jobs than being a sociak worker - at least u have a degree, opposed to just being a waitress your whole life

In regards to choosing a degree, if I had kids I honestly would suggest getting a Business degree if unsure. It's useful for almost every job and you can do many things with it

BenedictCcastro

In today's environment we know an importance of the having a good job but it's a very difficult to get it. It is very important to we should have a good skill because without it we can't get our preferred job.

I recently called a trade school, and to get an HVAC cert. it costs $25,000 for a ONE YEAR cert. That's insane.

It's a business system, not an educational system. A lot of people bought in to the ideals that were jammed into them during highschool. I thank the heavens that I was a young-f***-up and college wasn't really an option..

Then when it was, and I was ready, the military paid... I still have money sitting there, waiting, for me to go back to school. It makes me feel bad for the kids trading off a chunk of their life as debt for something as arbitrary as a college degree...

don't get me wrong, education is priceless, but most college educated I know had never picked up a book that wasn't assigned to them. I would call them, by definition- unfortunate suckers. :( they bought into it, and no one (parents nor educators) warned them of the monumental investment (years and 10s of thousands of dollars) they were entering into. Even worse for the financial-retards who lived off their college loans by paying rent/credit cards/car-noted etc.. or partying.

I used a 2 yrs of my GIBILL, the other 2 yrs of college were paid for one my own through universities out here supporting the military. But, that first 2, 3/4 of that was done by someone else who was willing to do my work online via a local CC. I had to show up for tests/exams, but that was it. She did 3 semesters for me @$600/month, while I was making $1700/month from the GIBILL. Hey-They wanted to make it a business, and I did too. I made money, chipped away at my degree, AND stimulated the local economy :D

OP... it sound horrible cheesy, but "If you think you can or think you can't-You're right" -Stewie.

You've already rattled off laundry list of things you're incapable of, even simple math classes. So maybe we should just be staying in the service industry, maybe not even go to college. You can still be a productive member of your society and stop leaching of the govt to feed yourself, with out college.

there's always starting a business of some sort, but that's a lot of work...

• Like 1

90% of well paying jobs require effort to get into. **** doesn't (usually) just fall into your lap......and by **** I mean a great job with benefits.

• Like 1
I don't really have want to do what it takes to be successull all on my own; I think I need a degree to stear me in the right direction.

This is the problem right here. I've corrected it for you.

By no means am I insulting you, I'm just saying that your train of thought is all wrong.

• Like 2

I agree with both the above posters, although I wouldn't recommend a LA degree. I thought about doing it when I wasn't sure. Glad I didn't. Where I'm located, colleges are very impacted and suffering from budget cuts. Luckily I found a private school where I could take my classes online for a business degree. My job also steered me towards business. To be honest, LA probably wouldn't be worth your $.

I put 0 importance on an education for most regular jobs, but companies just arbitrarily require it. "Oh, you have 20 years experience but no degree? Sorry, can't hire you" type of nonsense.

I have a lot of experience in this and I have to say it's really never been an issue. Where has it been a real issue for you? As a self educated person I've NEVER had trouble getting hired on a skills based resume.

Anyway, on another concurrent thread of Leigh's on this same topic, she has once again abandoned the plan of the food sciences degree.

School is not for everyone. I think that being able to obtain a degree shows some good qualities in a person.

I owned a sales business and I preferred to hire people who had a degree since that showed me that they could finish something that they started and go through necessary steps (some of them unpleasant - like taking a math class would be for Leigh) to reach a goal.

I also happily hired people who had impressive experience, traits and / or skill sets for the job but who hadn't gone to or finished college.

I do NOT think that the degree is a "ticket" to anything. There are plenty of college grads who are floundering in the work force.

Abystarswoman

I don't know the educational system in Australia, but I can say with all certainty that it won't matter what profession you choose to get a degree for - nearly all of them will require at least a general math course (on the level of college algebra and the like). Even a language major, or a social sciences degree, will need at least one math course because (at least here) it's in a set of what they call "general requirements". You don't get a degree without it here. You just don't.

I can relate to your not wanting to take a math course - I sure didn't want to when I returned to school. But not only was I forced to take the one course, I had to also have statistics - MORE math. (I'm in the criminal justice field.)

Really, math anxiety is so prevalent that they'll probably have special tutoring services to help out - I took advantage of that and it really helped me out.

Just saying, though. You probably won't be able to get around taking at least one math course if you go back to school. Not unless things are different over there.

• Author
This is the problem right here. I've corrected it for you.

By no means am I insulting you, I'm just saying that your train of thought is all wrong.

Setting up my oen personal training business is the only other way for me to make good money. I would be good at it, as I am good with people in general and would enjoy it.

MY parents were going to help me set up a business, a exercise thing, for elder AUstralians. My good friend did it in mhy old town and made it a success.

But a degree, even as a mere "social worker", would open up a lot of doors, just by HAVING a degree.

And based on the climate here in AUS, MOST people get a job as a social worker if they get the degree, and try hard.

If I cannot find hospitality work, I will simply have to try the fitness business idea, as I need to work through college.

I mean, I will re register as a personal trainer and try my hand at that through college too, you never know, I may do so well at that I will end up as a trainer that earns good cash.

Personal trainers can earn 70K a year working full time.

Setting up my oen personal training business is the only other way for me to make good money. I would be good at it, as I am good with people in general and would enjoy it.

I've got news for you.

Being your OWN boss and running your OWN business involves learning math. You have to be able to manage your accounting books. It is complicated and not easy.

It isn't just about being good with people.

Think long and hard about being your own boss and investigate -- really investigate! -- what it takes to be a small business owner.