Student Jobs and Overseas Travel

• Author

I have had thr travel bug my entire life, and it makes me extremely depressed to think that I may not get to travel in my late 20's.

I am 25, 26 in January next year.

I DO feel incredibly lucky to be able to eat, live in a nice house, and have help from my parents and boyfriend.

I actually think about how lucky I am every day; no joke.

But I will be very upset if I cannot find part time work.

Man, I am starting to get raging angry at employers who are sh*t at customer service! I COULD BE WORKING THERE THANKS.

....the job I got fired from for being late, I went into the other night...

The server could not talk properly and mubled like an idiot, took ages to come out the front to serve me, and was rude.

Furthermore, a person who was in JAIL works as a cook there...

Yet they fired me because I was late, due to my car battery dying on the way to work.

It is starting to make me SO angry that I am missing out on overseas travel for YEARS, so these clowns can work in jobs that I am actually great at.

And yes I am bloody awesome at giving customer service, as ALL my bosses have told me constantly.

I cry every few nights, because I dream of overseas travel, and realise I simply cannot GET part time work, and will therefore have to forget about travel until I get a degree and a good job.

I have had travel dreams since I was a kid, it means a great deal to me, I would do ANY job in order to save whilst I study.

I am becoming bitter and hatfull at employers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED the job SO BAD. I can do as good of a job as their lacklustre employees i come across a lot who lack the personality for customer service. GRRR.

Well, welcome to the real world, where even children who are provided for by their parents often have to work, and save money, and work, and save, for YEARS to be able to afford a trip.

What happened to working at Subway? You did tell us that you had been hired there. Were you really?

skydiveaddict
I have had thr travel bug my entire life, and it makes me extremely depressed to think that I may not get to travel in my late 20's.

There are lot's of folks who travel the world with little or no money. They network here.

• Like 1

every hear of "couchsurfing?" add the usual to the end of the quoted and you'll get there.. anywhere in the world including labs in Antarctica, no ****.

• Author

Yes I plan on couch surfing; I pay for the flight , and stay at a place for free.

Have you ever done it? I hear it's fun.

sidenote: but people in general.. I can't meeting people, and hearing " blahlah I want to travel the world blahblah," but they never take any steps towards such lofty goals.. its nice to see you chipping away and formulating :) cause the next thing i ask these people is " do you have passport?!" and most say no.. which is the annoying part... all i hear is " i wanna i wanna i wanna, but have done crap to ensure."

Yes I plan on couch surfing; I pay for the flight , and stay at a place for free.

Have you ever done it? I hear it's fun.

I only used it a few times.. mostly to meet with up locals and see the good stuff, off the tourist track.. meeting for meals/ day trips... i've also had my house on there but only open it up to visitors when i know i'm going to be there.. needless to say it's pretty crazy.. i had these 2 young italian girls stay over that were convince panties ARE bikinis-not fighting that one. :bunny:

Then a sort of arrogant australian couple (it happens) who weren't happy with the accommodations cause i was in the middle of a remodel.. where are f**** free?! lmao. oh welll good with the bad. had a ****ty experience with an old couple from florida too.. some people literally think i'm their personal concierge, which i have made very clear from there on out.

• Author
Well, welcome to the real world, where even children who are provided for by their parents often have to work, and save money, and work, and save, for YEARS to be able to afford a trip.

What happened to working at Subway? You did tell us that you had been hired there. Were you really?

I don't wanna wait YEARS to travel! ONE year I can do, two years fair enough, but MORE THAN TWO YEARS makes me EXTREMELY depressed.

Honestly, I cannot see WHY I would not afford ONE trip before I reach 30, even with just part time work.

And I promise, the manager told me she liked me, and to go online to do the online training, and then I would be put on.

...I Never heard from her again.

She liked me at first glance, hence why she told me to do the online training on the spot.

This has happened to me before - it is VERY COMMON in this industry!!!!!!!!!!

People trial you out, and then they trial another person out the next day at many restaurants, and trial MANY people for FREE, before they HAVE to hire a person.

They never call to let you know why they didn't hire you; your just one of the MANY people who need a job to them, they could nto care less if you have been unemployed for years and are DESPERATE for a job, and would do anything to fo a great job.

Not all companies are bad like that, but often people FORGET they gave ou a job, or they tell you to come in for trials with no intention of hiring you.

^^^

Yes, one would need a passport, and at least the wherewithal to buy airfare and some money for needs while traveling. I don't think that the government assistance Leigh is now receiving will continue if she goes on a journey. I'm not sure, though, maybe it will?

• Author
I only used it a few times.. mostly to meet with up locals and see the good stuff, off the tourist track.. meeting for meals/ day trips... i've also had my house on there but only open it up to visitors when i know i'm going to be there.. needless to say it's pretty crazy.. i had these 2 young italian girls stay over that were convince panties ARE bikinis-not fighting that one. :bunny:

Then a sort of arrogant australian couple (it happens) who weren't happy with the accommodations cause i was in the middle of a remodel.. where are f**** free?! lmao. oh welll good with the bad. had a ****ty experience with an old couple from florida too.. some people literally think i'm their personal concierge, which i have made very clear from there on out.

Well, I will be very greatfull for a strager to open their home out to me, and would prefer they be friendly and have a beer with me, and talk about their country a little, tell me what I should check out....

At the very least, eve if they are quiet and not much into talking to people, all I want is a place to stay for free, that is not squalid or putrid lol.

I would so love to meet up with locals who are eager to take me out to a good place to eat or drink (which I would gladly pay for their meal since I am staying at their place rent free!)

Things tourists do not easily find out about, local haunts, I just LOVE to travel, expereincing the local lifestyle as best I can.

• Author
Plenty of people work full time and can't afford to travel.

I think Ross and Leigh are made for each other. :love:

I don't want to live a life without travelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will definately be able to afford travel after I get my degree, I do not know how a person who is passionate about travel cannot afford to if they work full time IF they make the sacrifices needed.

I am prepared to live in the worst house, a one bedroom house, never eat out or party with friends unless they pay for alcohol, and I am very willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to travel.

....I cannot see how I will not be able to travel if I live at home and work and save for a year.

I don't wanna wait YEARS to travel! ONE year I can do, two years fair enough, but MORE THAN TWO YEARS makes me EXTREMELY depressed.

Honestly, I cannot see WHY I would not afford ONE trip before I reach 30, even with just part time work.

Leigh. Can you understand how inappropriate this WHINING is, coming from a person who is not in school, is not working, and has zero responsibilities?

And, in my personal opinion, a person who has some serious issues that need to dealing with and which should be the highest priority.

You talk A LOT. If you actually start school, or get a job one day, then you can talk about your schedule for when you will have saved up enough time off from school and money for your traveling. Meanwhile, save it for a while, okay? For now, you are basically an old teenager living like a kid with an allowance.

also.. i've found ir easier to see chunks of this earth every few years, that say the whole earth at once..

I travel for a living, so vacations aren't vacations if i'm dealing with the normal stresses of work by waiting in terminals... but at least i can get drunk in those airports..

godspeed and happy travels.

• Author
Leigh. Can you understand how inappropriate this WHINING is, coming from a person who is not in school, is not working, and has zero responsibilities?

And, in my personal opinion, a person who has some serious issues that need to dealing with and which should be the highest priority.

You talk A LOT. If you actually start school, or get a job one day, then you can talk about your schedule for when you will have saved up enough time off from school and money for your traveling. Meanwhile, save it for a while, okay? For now, you are basically an old teenager living like a kid with an allowance.

I have every right to whine. I WANT TO WORK. I WANT TO STUDY.

I cannot DO EITHER of those things, because college does not START UNTIL FEBUARY.

I have the WILL and 100% plan of what I want to do.

I HAVE NO OPTION but to live like an old teenager, since I cannot GET A JOB, and I cannot START STUDY yet!!!!!!!!!!!

There is literally not a thing I can do but wait; wait until I get work, and wait until Feburary to Study.

Until then, what MORE can I do? Besids continue with professional help?

I cannnot do anything MORE than what I am currently doing man.

• Author
also.. i've found ir easier to see chunks of this earth every few years, that say the whole earth at once..

I travel for a living, so vacations aren't vacations if i'm dealing with the normal stresses of work by waiting in terminals... but at least i can get drunk in those airports..

godspeed and happy travels.

I would like to work overseas one day. My parents have since I was about 10.

Have you been to Australia?

What is your job?

I am prepared to sacrifice everything to travel; to not buy a single item besides food for two years, so as to allow for ONE trip before I am 30.

Travel is my priority, I wash my face with soap and water and use the cheapest of everything, as I am starting to try to get into save mode.

I so wish I could just get a job, I want to work so bad, it is a shame I cannot find work yet!

I have the WILL and 100% plan of what I want to do.

Excuse me? You have JUST NOW started yet ANOTHER thread asking people what degree you should be studying for.

Doesn't sound much like you have a plan, especially not a 100% plan.

Having a 100% solid plan is not a necessity at all. Being honest with yourself IS. And being honest here would be a plus.

• Author
Excuse me? You have JUST NOW started yet ANOTHER thread asking people what degree you should be studying for.

Doesn't sound much like you have a plan, especially not a 100% plan.

Having a 100% solid plan is not a necessity at all. Being honest with yourself IS. And being honest here would be a plus.

I am being very honest.

I want a degree, and also to work.

I have spent years figuring this out, and have genuinely gained qualifications, started a degree I thought I would like enough to stick to, and tried two other courses I soon hates (not aversion to work at play here, I saw them to be dead end jobs)

The only variable in my set plan is: will I work and study part time or full time?

AND

WHat degree is best for me?

I know the path I am going down, I just have a few variables I need to address.

If I get full time work, for instance, I will study part time. And vice versa.

• Author
When you get a degree and are massively in debt, you will still be complaining about how you have no money to travel.

Yes, but u do not pay the debt off right away.

Look, I think if our earning at least 50K a year (even social workers get paid 50K) then I can travel.

....... And even with a part time sh*tty job, I will be able to save enough to travel, because my parents have told me I can live rent free until I save enough for ONE overseas holiday.

..I mean, I do not understand how people making at 50K a year cannot travel, if they live in a small, inexpensive house they RENT, do not live in the best area (albiet not the most dangerous either)

...I think if you do not buy clothes, dvd;s, go to see movies much, and just really cut back on costs, that MOST people can travel overseas.

BenedictCcastro

According to me, every student to keep their eye on study because without this, it is very difficult to get good job and make a successful future. I know there are almost students think to do job but it's not a good thing for them.