Student Jobs and Overseas Travel

• Author

wait wait wait....

I actually have something highly embarrassing to admit that I would not EVEr tell anyone not even ANdrew.

80% of my hair has fallen out due to my ED initially. It was terrible.

Now I have about 60% of it missing. I am highly self conscious about having baby thin hair, I have a nose that sticks out in my profile so I need thick hair to balance it out. My extremely thin hair looked.. ugly.

So I got hair extensions. It changed my life. I was a differnt person with hair, than I was with it largely gone.

Without the extensions I look like a cancer patient. I DO NOT feel confident enough to go get a job like that.

nothing anyone says will change my mind, I feel the extensions were 100% justified.

I felt hideous without most of my hair, I had panic attacks everytime I went outside.

So. Without the extensions I would have been sweet with cash.

I need them less and less now as my hair is rapidly growing back. I only need to spend about 300 dollars every 6 months now on extensions

When I FIRST got them in though, I needed a LOT of them.

eating disorders are not pretty to look at, you are often left with bald patches and baby thin hair.

Oh well it is growing back nicely, I wont need the extensions forever.

• Author

Okay,

I am going to the Uni today to re enroll for next year. I am about to head off there.

I have thought a lot about what I want to do with my life, had some good ideas, but after researching a lot about the income and growth of the industries, social work is the industry I need to be in; it makes a difference to people, and you earn a decent living.

I have thougth for two years about this decision. I know how bad it is that I have been lazy and wasted this time, but it is never too late to pick what you really want to do in life.

I am stopping at a locel Subway store on my way - they are always looking for new people, it is 5 min walk from my flat, and the just put a girl on who is just like me. Who told me they are short staffed.

I am going in to hand my resume into the manager. It will be good to have a job close by.

I am going to attempt full time study, 4 subjects, with part time weekend and evening work when I can get it.

I have nothing to worry about. MY hair extentions have already been paid for and the upkeep is only 300 dollars every 4 months.

Minus the hair, I will have enough to live on as a student, and extra if I work part time.

Moreover, Andrew told me do chill out about travel; that at the end of next year, if I have only saved 10K or less for it, he will happily foot the bill for me to travel longer with him.

I think if I try my best I will be fine. And Andrew has also agreed to pay for my therapy if I fall short. Happily so.

I have never been this excited and optimistic about my future. I finally feel like I am on the right path.

I am about to go make some calls about therapy now.

Well...this thread is not what I expected.

OP, to answer your original question: to keep costs down, a lot of my college friends do the couch surfing, hostel, and/or backpacking thing. If that's too budget for you, I suggest that once you have a job, you set up a special savings account and have money directly deposited in there. I'm currently in graduate school with an expected graduation date of May 2014, and my goal is to spend the 2014 summer traveling with the money I'm saving right now.

As far as the personal training goes...I live in a state in the US and it requires certification, FWIW.

Lastly, I don't know how old you are...but I'm guessing by the "87" in your username you're 24-25? Anyway. If it makes you feel any better, up until I was your age I was very undecided with my choice of career as well. I changed my major several times and had a few semesters I did not attend (although I worked full-time throughout this, LOL). I finally just made myself choose a major and finished. The thing to remember is that nothing is ever set in stone...and I am not sure how jobs are in Australia, but in the US you can have a degree in X field and be hired working in something completely unrelated (with some exceptions, of course). In the US, a lot of employers just want applicant with college degrees---the major doesn't matter. Or if they specify, it might just be in a general area, like liberal arts or social science majors.

Hope some of that helps. :)

• Author

I got a job at Subway, 5 min walk down the road from my flat. YAY!

The staff are all extremely friendly too which is SUCH a pluss for those types of jobs.

I also have a job lined up for mid Nov/ X mas.

AND I have a interview next Thurs for a wedding and party events company which I think I will get, for weekend catering work.

I am SO looking forward to studying next year; I have re enrolled in spcial sciences.

You just wait, this is definately the career I want.

• Like 1
  • Author
Well...this thread is not what I expected.

OP, to answer your original question: to keep costs down, a lot of my college friends do the couch surfing, hostel, and/or backpacking thing. If that's too budget for you, I suggest that once you have a job, you set up a special savings account and have money directly deposited in there. I'm currently in graduate school with an expected graduation date of May 2014, and my goal is to spend the 2014 summer traveling with the money I'm saving right now.

As far as the personal training goes...I live in a state in the US and it requires certification, FWIW.

Lastly, I don't know how old you are...but I'm guessing by the "87" in your username you're 24-25? Anyway. If it makes you feel any better, up until I was your age I was very undecided with my choice of career as well. I changed my major several times and had a few semesters I did not attend (although I worked full-time throughout this, LOL). I finally just made myself choose a major and finished. The thing to remember is that nothing is ever set in stone...and I am not sure how jobs are in Australia, but in the US you can have a degree in X field and be hired working in something completely unrelated (with some exceptions, of course). In the US, a lot of employers just want applicant with college degrees---the major doesn't matter. Or if they specify, it might just be in a general area, like liberal arts or social science majors.

Hope some of that helps. :)

Thanks I feel better hearing people like you who did not get their degrees by their early 20's.

I wanted to be a nutritionist for a long time, hence the personal training certificate.

I got to Uni and hated it.

I started social sciences and I did enjoy it, there were SO many options to pick from course wise (from forgein relations, to anthropology)

I only quit because I was sick of not working. Then just got down on myself when I could not find work and gave up basically. I WAS SO unsatisfied doing nothing with my life.

I thought I should fo a short course in child care or to be a travel agent, but realised the pay is sh*tty and I would much rather be a social worker, as it is a growing industry, the pay gets you a decent lifestyle (at least travel if you save and go without other things).

This is 100% what i want to do, I would know as I have spent a great deal of time deciding haha.

And it is so common for some reason, for people to START their degrees in their early to mid 20's.

Lastly, regarding travel: going to South America and staying in hostels, it VERY cheap, and has some of the most stunning places to see (bolivia, agentina, among others) not to mention a GREAT night life (comumbia duh lol, and rio in brazil is also renound)

I am already imagining where i will go to, it will serve as motivation to really appreciate and enjoy my students jobs.

I am tossing up between Morroco spain and some of Europe, or South America.

I am sure with a student job or two I will manage to save by the end of next year.

What did you end up deciding to do?

Ok, 2 things. Firstly congratulations on the job. I find it very impressive that you said at 2:20pm that you were going to hand in your resume, and that by 4:58 you had received the job. They must have taken a shine to you to hire you on the spot.

Second, 250 dollars a week from the government is quite impressive considering you don't live out of home. How'd you swing that? I don't get any government assistance. Is it because of that age of independence thing? I just turned 22 so I'm only now elegible.

I think I've been in a similar situation to you. I also live at home, and I don't work at the moment, apart from casual work at my university. I do however, go to university 5 days a week from 8-10 hours a day as part of my honours year. My parents know how difficult that is so they help me out where they can. I don't have to pay rent or food or anything, but I also don't like to ask for their help. So I'm a master of saving. I just tend to not go out, unless I see my gf. I don't buy fancy new clothes, and I eat simply. Unfortunately I do have to drive 5-600kms but my parents help out with the fuel costs. They don't ask anything in return other than successfully completing my degree. Well, I'm submitting my thesis next week, and I just had my oration a few days ago and I've presented at a conference already. I think it truly is worth it buckling down and living simply for a bit if it means you'll get something rewarding at the end. I'm planning on applying for PhD next year, and you get paid $470 a week to do it, no tax. It's enough to buy a new sports car ;) and a starting post-doctoral salary is $75,000 in the first year...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your parents are happy to help you out, then just don't stress. But don't milk them either. Help out around the house and stuff. I did the landscaping for our new house almost by myself last year. It took many months of hard labour but it raised the value of the house quite a bit and my parents paid for a trip to Europe for me. Maybe you can ask them?

But one thing I guarantee you is, if you finish your degree it truly will open doors. Do you want to be a checkout chick for the rest of your life?

Hey, congrats on the job. :)

Re: Your spending... well, many of the things you have mentioned spending on are really not strictly 'necessities'. I'm not saying you're wrong for spending on them, either, but you really, really can't call hair extensions a necessity because it isn't strictly one.

You need to realize that it is a choice you are personally making. You do have a choice, and there is always a trade-off. If you yourself feel that the hair extensions are worth every penny, then you need to willingly forgo something else (savings, travel, etc) and understand that the real reason you are forgoing that 'something else' is because of your own choice, not because the government gives you too little spending money.

Honestly, I can think of quite a few things I can do with money to make myself look much, much more attractive. Keratin hair straightening would do wonders for me, for instance, because my natural hair is frizzy and sticks out unless I spend a good amount of time flat-ironing it. But it is $300 for 6 months of straight hair, and I cannot justify spending that kind of money on a student's allowance. Good makeup would do wonders for my complexion, and professional eyebrow waxing would too. Again, money I cannot justify spending. When I am established in my career, I might, but for now I make the conscious decision to save up the money instead, at the expense of my appearance. Students make such choices all the time, and you have to as well.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hey, congrats on the job. :)

Re: Your spending... well, many of the things you have mentioned spending on are really not strictly 'necessities'. I'm not saying you're wrong for spending on them, either, but you really, really can't call hair extensions a necessity because it isn't strictly one.

You need to realize that it is a choice you are personally making. You do have a choice, and there is always a trade-off. If you yourself feel that the hair extensions are worth every penny, then you need to willingly forgo something else (savings, travel, etc) and understand that the real reason you are forgoing that 'something else' is because of your own choice, not because the government gives you too little spending money.

Honestly, I can think of quite a few things I can do with money to make myself look much, much more attractive. Keratin hair straightening would do wonders for me, for instance, because my natural hair is frizzy and sticks out unless I spend a good amount of time flat-ironing it. But it is $300 for 6 months of straight hair, and I cannot justify spending that kind of money on a student's allowance. Good makeup would do wonders for my complexion, and professional eyebrow waxing would too. Again, money I cannot justify spending. When I am established in my career, I might, but for now I make the conscious decision to save up the money instead, at the expense of my appearance. Students make such choices all the time, and you have to as well.

I am not getting hair extensions to "look pretty". My hair all but fell out at one stage, and as it grew back, it was still shi=ockingly thin; I still look liked I had recovered from cancer.

I was exttremely self conscious when I lost a lot of hair. I would not have dared get extensions, had I not been through a trauma to warrant them.

Life with them changed. They were worth every penny.

They cost about 600 a year to maintain. Sorry, but I feel like sh*t with hair that looks like that of a two year olds (downy and baby thin).

Read my post again, Leigh. I said that it was a choice, not necessarily a wrong choice, but a choice that you made. There are consequences for choices. Always. You have to work with them instead of saying that 250 AUD/week is very little to live on and barely enough for necessities. It is not.

• Author

My extravagences are:

- 600 dollars per year for hair extensions

-17 dollars every 2 - 3 weeks for eye brow waxing ( I am SIGNIFICANTLY more attractive with them) ANdrew pays for them, as he agrees, he hass seen old pictures of me "trying" to control my natural monobrow.

- Andrew pays for a brazillian, 40 bucksd per month. Because I need oral and he is 100% more turned on when it is waxed.

- I buy moisterizer and cleanser on the CHEAP; chemical free sh*t that is dirt cheap! TWO dollars for natural soap, and 8 dollars for cleanser.

That is the legnth of the extra spending I do.

I do not buy clothes or other stuff.

I can afford to maintain that if I do not go out to clubs, movies, or ... other stuff?

Working part time I cannot see why I would ot be able to spend 600 bucks a year on extensions. Andrew buys the rest becayse he works full time.

I would not bother with brazillian waxes if it were not for him. And I would be able to afford 17 dollar eyebrow waxes, seeing as I make my own fun at home, and would be happy not to get clothes or anything BESIDES the eyebrow waxing and hair extensions.

-

• Author
Read my post again, Leigh. I said that it was a choice, not necessarily a wrong choice, but a choice that you made. There are consequences for choices. Always. You have to work with them instead of saying that 250 AUD/week is very little to live on and barely enough for necessities. It is not.

I did not have the confidence to face the world when my hair fell out initially. I already had gone through enough trauma, much less dealing with looking hideous. And having people ask me how me "cancer" was going. Which they did a couple of times.

And mum got them for me, she could see I was distraught over losing a lot of my hair.

I afford the upkeep of them, but she go them for my birthday. NOw it is my job to re tape them every 6 months.

• Author
Ok, 2 things. Firstly congratulations on the job. I find it very impressive that you said at 2:20pm that you were going to hand in your resume, and that by 4:58 you had received the job. They must have taken a shine to you to hire you on the spot.

Second, 250 dollars a week from the government is quite impressive considering you don't live out of home. How'd you swing that? I don't get any government assistance. Is it because of that age of independence thing? I just turned 22 so I'm only now elegible.

I think I've been in a similar situation to you. I also live at home, and I don't work at the moment, apart from casual work at my university. I do however, go to university 5 days a week from 8-10 hours a day as part of my honours year. My parents know how difficult that is so they help me out where they can. I don't have to pay rent or food or anything, but I also don't like to ask for their help. So I'm a master of saving. I just tend to not go out, unless I see my gf. I don't buy fancy new clothes, and I eat simply. Unfortunately I do have to drive 5-600kms but my parents help out with the fuel costs. They don't ask anything in return other than successfully completing my degree. Well, I'm submitting my thesis next week, and I just had my oration a few days ago and I've presented at a conference already. I think it truly is worth it buckling down and living simply for a bit if it means you'll get something rewarding at the end. I'm planning on applying for PhD next year, and you get paid $470 a week to do it, no tax. It's enough to buy a new sports car ;) and a starting post-doctoral salary is $75,000 in the first year...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your parents are happy to help you out, then just don't stress. But don't milk them either. Help out around the house and stuff. I did the landscaping for our new house almost by myself last year. It took many months of hard labour but it raised the value of the house quite a bit and my parents paid for a trip to Europe for me. Maybe you can ask them?

But one thing I guarantee you is, if you finish your degree it truly will open doors. Do you want to be a checkout chick for the rest of your life?

I too, don't go out. I am lucky to have what I do, I am healthy, have a partner/best friend with my every day, and am very happy just working out, and chilling online for my free time, learning about anything and everything on the net.

And of course, seeing my mates is free. Having them around, with a cheap 10 dollare red wine. Not going out but making fun without it.

I know my partying time will come when I have earnt it.

And my parents live overseas, but when they are done, I love doing shopping for them and whatever I can do to thank them for their generosity.

As to going to Europe? I have already received enough help from them lol. Although mum said she wants to go halves in a trip for me, I was like NO THANKS MUM: it is getting CRAZY, the things you do for me... I need toi maintain some dignity, and pay my own way for overseas travel.

They will, however, put me up in Hong Kong, where they live, so as to save me rent. On my way to Europe. Where did you go in Europe? Did your gf come?

ANd I am not as academically minded as you. A social worker is my dream, especially when dealig with welfare and people who need help.

Leigh, look. Clearly you are spending on SOMEthing way more than the average student living on a budget does, because money doesn't disappear into thin air and many people are perfectly able to live on 250 AUD/week, yes, even in Sydney - I have a friend who studied there on just about that much AND lived outside the home! So, you could continue defending your purchases here, or you could try to figure out what it is. There is little purpose in me debating with you about which one of your purchases is necessary or unnecessary, because I'm not your mom. All I'm saying is, it's possible to live on 250 AUD/week including rent, so if you're not paying rent, it's possible for you to save up a bit instead of living hand-to-mouth all the time as you describe. If you're interested in that, take proactive steps to figure out how.

$1000/month?

Ok.

$1000 - $50 (pro-rated hair extensions) = $950

$950 - $17 (eyebrow wax) = $933

$950 - $20 (lip balm, moisturizer and natural soap) = $913

You say you drive a lot, sometimes an hour a day? (Can't figure out where you are driving to, if you don't go to school or work, but let's go with it.) So if you drive 100km a day (or 62 miles a day), that is 3000 km a month. Let's assume your car gets 40 km to the gallon (or 25 miles to the gallon). And if gas is $6.00/gallon and if we divide 3000/40, then you pay $450 a month for fuel. And I suspect you aren't driving even close to half of that amount..,

$913 - $450 = $463

Food? You don't go out, and you don't eat fancy foods, and you sometimes go hungry. So let's say you can do fine on $50 a week for food.

$463 - $200 = $263

Fun? Let's give you $25 a week for fun.

$263 - $100 = $163

No clothes, no accessories, no rent, no electricity.

Now, explain why you can't buy the certificate again? If you truly can't come up with $200 for a PT certificate, then you truly can't afford to spend $450 a month in fuel costs. Cut your driving down by half for one month, and you have the ability to buy your certification, since you say you have done all you need to for that, minus the certificate.

• Like 2

Or... take the bus. :o Most students I know don't even get cars, due to the costs associated with one (fuel, maintenance, parking, etc). In most cases (not all, but most) a bus serves fine if you're not in a sales career where you need to bring your clients out for lunch and such.

• Author

From now on, Andrew has said he will just drive me places, he had been doing that before, until my dad gave me the use of their car.....

I need my car for emergecies, such as going to work at late notice, if they call me to fill in at the last minute.

Besides that though, I had not been using my car at all before my parents recently gave me the use of it.

Lucky1 - thanks for your suggestions, besides my hair extensions (which I need, as I hate life with only half the hair I once had) I do not really have muich additional expenses to spend.....

So, have you started working at your Subway job yet? How goes it?

• Author

ahh no, the manager has not bothered to set up the online modules for me to complete yet.

She said " she will set up an online account for me, so I will do the training online, and then she will get me to come in to work"

It was days after she said she would do it, so I rang up to "follow it up", and she said she would oraganise it for me soon.

I do not think she is used to people being eager to work for at Subway; apparently, loads of kids hand their resumes in, she sets up on online training module for them, and they never do it.

• Author

I have interview on Thursday for an event company, for weddings ad parties.

I think I'll get that. Because according to the interviewer, it is about your "personal style" and "personality"...

...And my style and personality are good for people/work like that. You know, I am good with people and dress well (albiet on a budget..).

I also told my parents about going back to study to be a social worker next year (a social sciences degree).

They are thrilled and think it is what I should have done all along; that the "short cut" jobs instead of a degree job are for those lucky few who are successfull enough to set up their own businesses.

SO my parents are extremely happy and relieved for me that I have choses to stick it out for 3 or 4 years ad get a good job.

My parents think I will be fine, and that I will get part timer work whilst I study and be able to travel a little.

• Author

Just to give you an idea of how much my mother spoils me.....

I told her about my decision to study next year at Uni. That I will also work part time.

She said " don't worry darling, if you work hard at Uni, and also save for your travels, I will help you out with your first trip"

........................Seriously? Do you get it now?

All I have to do is study and work part time, and do the best I can, and she will help me afford a trip overseas.

I think after my past, she is just thrilled I have tried every option (a travel course, nutrition, finding full time work) and have finally found the best option for me.

I had several paths I wanted to investigate, and soon found them to be well.. bogus haha.

I always knew social work is my ideal job, but refrained from it in order to find full time for for a year or two first so as to save.

I did not want to be a student with no money... Part time work is something I NEED whilst I study.

The great news is: I get student allowance, which does not get deducted if I work.

Where as my government allowance gets deducted once I work, for every dollar I earn.

Student allowance is only 175 ish dollars per week.

If I start study and cannot get ANY part time work I will be f*cked. But I am pretty optimistic I will get SOMETHING.......

Man, I wish this subway lady will just set up my online accound like she said she would so I can start working.

• Author
I live in the wrong country obviously.

I agree. I love Australia.

It is the best:D

I think it will be easy for me once I get my life in order and learn how to manage my money better.

I think student allowance with part time work would make for a pretty easy student life.

I have been to the US and liked Australia more haha.

It is clean mostly, with great beaches close to every major city besides Melcourne.

Hence why I am looking for to being a student with part time work; I will afford road trips occasionally, driving up the coast of AUS is stunning.

Well, that settles it, then. You're being pampered by your mom (which is really not a bad thing, for instance, my bf pampers me a little as well). But you really need to stop talking about how you're living hand-to-mouth and in poverty and can never afford anything. You are not living in poverty, Leigh! You are having a very good life. Please stop talking about how little money you have. Clearly there is nothing that needs to be solved financially here.

• Author
Well, that settles it, then. You're being pampered by your mom (which is really not a bad thing, for instance, my bf pampers me a little as well). But you really need to stop talking about how you're living hand-to-mouth and in poverty and can never afford anything. You are not living in poverty, Leigh! You are having a very good life. Please stop talking about how little money you have. Clearly there is nothing that needs to be solved financially here.

But I want to travel.

I do not want to wait until I get my degree to travel and afford things besides food and transport.