Tipping- it ain't a city in China

I tip aestheticians. I tip my hair salon. Although one place refuses tips, they just ask that you reccomend them to friends. I tip cab drivers. I've never had to tip a bellboy. I tip delivery drivers.

faye...just annoyed..............

I never bought up the prarie shot...............

My hair dresser charges me $60 and I tip her 75%

she deserves it! she does a job I cannot do..............

Love her

No, it was at home, :D

I feel better if I know the person who's hair it is.

I think the biggest tip I've ever given was to my aesthitician for my first brazilian wax. I think it was 100 percent (not the largest in monetary terms, but percentage wise) she actually refused it-I had to scale it down.

nope...hehe.................

she does something I could not do..... cut and color.............and I am loyal to her.... never cheat...................

I am thinking you cut hair?

• Author

That is my pet name for my beautician (Seinfeld fans unite!) She is the BEST- but you MUST behave and play by her rules.

Needless to say I tip and tip well. :rolleyes:

Honestly- she TERRIFIES me- but Damn I look good when she's done. :o

• Author
Originally posted by shortbus74

nope...hehe.................

she does something I could not do..... cut and color.............and I am loyal to her.... never cheat...................

I am thinking you cut hair?

Hell no- I do easy stuff- like get paid to type on LS. :D (Proven by the volume of my daily posts ;) )

This whole tipping thing annoys me. I have lived in England and am currently in Australia where employees in the service industry are paid very well. Our minimum wage here is almost double that as in the US. Wait staff and bar staff here do not rely on tips to make up their income; the service fee is included in the prices of the food and drinks.

However, it has become custom here also to tip bar staff and restaurants after being served, despite the fact that there is no reason for it. So I am in fact paying a hell of a lot more for my meal than I should be, just because it is an American thing flowing out throughout the Commonwealth.

It annoys me that I feel social pressure to tip staff who are already being paid well. And the bar staff here are almost invariably so rude and arrogant, yet if you leave no change on the counter you won't get served the next time you're at the bar! Argh! Sorry, just venting.

I love that we can all agree to disagree here...

:love:

I am a firm believer in tipping.... if you can offer me a service that I can not do myself I am more than happy to tip....( I cannot cut hair, hate doing nails, really hate giving myself a pedicure,psst.. hate changing my oil)

I will not lie, I am paid well for a bar manager in the states.... (sometimes it is not enough :confused: ..............100lbs. women trying to break up fight with two men is funny to see................

Where I work, if I buy you a drink (which I do for people I like....) I actually pay for the drink myself...last week my check was $0.00 due to July 4th....) :laugh:

I do not think that it helped that I put 25 shots of SoCo with lime on my tab.... :laugh:

• Author

mmmmm..SOCO w/lime :p

yummyyyy- where do you work? I'd looooove to visit on SOCO nt!

:o that night ended up costing me $180.00 *LOL* I tend to stay away from work when I am off.

I always tip waitresses/waiters 20%, unless my service was beyond awful, in which case I tip 10-15%.

I tip bartenders usually $1 per drink, or $2-$3 if they get me a lot of drinks and are very nice!

I tip my beautician usually $5, because my hair is easy to cut and takes about 15 minutes of her time.

I tip taxi drivers usually at least $2, no matter how long the ride is. If it is really long (like a $15 ride), I might tip $3.

• 7 months later...

I bartend as well in a busy busy nightclub. I get irrate at times with someone I served a few times fast good service and they still don't tip. Drinks are quite expensive and I try to understand that but even if they tipped every second drink it would be something I would not mind.

At times I will tap on my tip jar and say something like " think it's time for a tip" I've served you a few times already that guilts them into tipping. But sometimes (like last night) I just get miserable and fed up because 60% of the people are not tipping. Hard to stay upbeat when your not making any money. Also we have a house tip out so if we tip out on our ring outs so it ends up costing us to serve the customer.

I've tried in the past to just keep in my head ... this could be my mother/sister/uncle so I should still be nice to them. I sure would hate it if someone treated a family member of mine poorly cause they didn't know they were supposed to tip or were a little short on cash. ahhh I donno

It stinks not to be tipped when you give great service. In my bar we jump on customers just to get a good ring out to impress our bosses, so even the no tippers even get good service :(

Bla