Tipping- it ain't a city in China

Originally posted by Mr Spock

I understand now Dyer. Here, it's minimum wage. Doesn't matter if you're training, or serving, or standing in a corner picking your nose, if you've got your number and are being paid on the books you don't make below it.

What country are you from?

The law I was talking about is Federal, it wouldn't matter which state (?)

Once again, you are assuming I live in a STATE. But that's besides the point. What I am saying is that a good tip is not your RIGHT it is something you earn. I think you'll find the best servers have this attitude in mind when they go to work.

• Author

I always felt the tip should be a right but I earned the amount. (and yes I was damn good at my job- ask any of the little dolls I trained who are still making bank today ;) )

• Author

What do you look for in a good server?

Obviously accuracy- but would you prefer silent servers you barely notice are there (so as to leave you w/ your meal and company) or chatty and entertaining?

Those in the biz long enough can USUALLY "read" customers but let's take a quick poll.

Wellnowuknow

After working in a restaurant for a while and if your a good server you can usually "read" customers.

You can tell if they want to be alone and quiet or if they want to be told a story. lol

I'm a big tipper now because I was a server and I know how it is. So I hate when I go out with a guy on a date and he talks smack and doesn't tip! It's a big pet peeve of mines. Thank god my current bf passed my little secret test. He tips 20% and I didn't even have to say anything. (amen )

I used to bank when I had tables w/ kids. I used to treat them extra nice and the parents would love it and tip a lil extra. So everyone wondered why I made so much...well now u know. lol

They didn't want the kids cuz they made a mess...not me I said send them over.

Also I mde sure the hotesses were on my team. I treated them extra special as well because they decided who sat where.

Me personally I want a server that'll chit chat a little bit but leave me to eat my food and just be nice and not roll their eyes when I ask for extra sour cream u know?

HokeyReligions

A friend of mine ownes a restaurant. He pays his servers a set amount -- lets say $3/hr. Lets say minimum wage is $5/hr. At the end of the work week add up the waiters hours and figure out what he should have made if he were paid minimum wage and had no tips. Now subtract the $3/hr. The remainder of the money is covered by the tips. If it is not, then the employer has to make up the difference.

Sam works 40 hours a week. 40 hours x $3 = $120. 40 hours x $5 = 200. Sam's received $400 in tips. He is over the minimum wage amount so his employer does not pay him anything else. Same scenario, but Sam only receives $50 in tips. 40 hours x $3 = $120 + $50 for a total of $170. Sam's employer has to make up the difference and pay Sam the $30 it would take to cover the hours worked times the minimum wage. This is pretty basic and doesn't cover tax law and non-reported earnings, etc. or projections based on the restaurant's revenue---all of which factor in how much Sam actually earns and brings home in his paycheck.

An employer will let this happen a few times, but if a waiter consistently does not make enough in tips to reach minimum wage requirements for the hours worked, then the waiter (or waitress) is retrained, given different sections, or let go, or the restaurant is audited, or a lot of different things can happen. My friend uses this as a guage on the quality of work for his staff.

The easiest way that I have determined to tip: Sales tax is 8.25% where I live. When I get the bill I double the tax and leave that amount as a tip if the service was adequate. If service was horrible -- no tip. If they bring fresh lemons when they refill the ice tea - instant $5 tip over the regular tip. So many people will refill the ice tea, but don't bring lemons! Those that remember--get a larger tip. If overall service is great, or we just seem to click with our waiter we will leave a larger tip. I'm not embarassed to not tip though.

If I have to constantly flag down a waiter for a refill on the drink, or if they tell me they will bring catsup (or whatever) and they don't do it within a reasonable amount of time--no tip. There have been times when my husband wanted steak sauce and by the time the waiter got around to bringing it the steak was cold. Or we had some other problem with a waiter. We complained to management at that point.

I've had a waiter drop the food on the way to the table and its delayed our being served. Accidents happen, I still tip.

Originally posted by Mr Spock

Once again, you are assuming I live in a STATE.

I specifically asked you what country you were from, since U.S. Federal law didn't apply. Whatever.

Originally posted by Fayebelle

Obviously accuracy- but would you prefer silent servers you barely notice are there (so as to leave you w/ your meal and company) or chatty and entertaining?

Ugh, please don't talk to us. I'm sure you're wonderful people, but we don't to be entertained. The exception would be a place like Benihana, in which case we're here to see the cook.

Also, don't ever reccomend that my mom's soda be diet, even if it's just an innocent question.

Dyer, Maybe she wasn't speaking clearly and they couldn't tell whether she said diet or not... That was one of my pet peeves as a waitress. It's a loud restaurant... speak up!

Good service means polite and reasonably fast and very apologetic if there is a problem! Hearing a short story from the waiter is OK, but mostly leave me alone...

Good service does not has to mean that everything is PERFECT. because people make mistakes and the server can't control everything. He can't control other customers and rush times and a bad kitchen, etc....

One thing my mom's never been accused of is talking too softly :p

I think we as a family are obsessively nice and generous to our food servers. It mainly stems from the fear of having our food spat in.

Wellnowuknow

You wanna know the sad thing....Your food will be spat in.

(I personally never did it but I feel sorry for the people that ticked off my server friends)

That wasn't directed towards you Dyer-I've never spit in anyone's food, as I think it's disgusting. However, that doesn't mean we(the staff) never ate the crutons off of your caesar salad while waiting for your order......

That's the same story I hear from everyone, and it's disconcerting. "I've never spat in food, but it happens"

I've never seen anyone do it, nor have I done it-and I would report them to the manager, or stop them from serving the food. It's immature, and disgusting.

Mr. Spock do you think that food service workers would actually do that in front of you? No of course not...Just because they are in the service industry does not mean that they are dumb....Sheesh..... :confused:

Truthfully you piss me off when I am working I will be "kind enough" to buy you a shot that WILL MAKE YOU PUKE!! :love:

• Author
Originally posted by shortbus74

Mr. Spock do you think that food service workers would actually do that in front of you? No of course not...Just because they are in the service industry does not mean that they are dumb....Sheesh..... :confused:

Truthfully you piss me off when I am working I will be "kind enough" to buy you a shot that WILL MAKE YOU PUKE!! :love:

Tequilla and tabasco- works like a charm! ;):lmao:

Originally posted by shortbus74

So you have spit in someones food before?

R E A D through the posts.......

Tequila and tabasco? Prarie fires? Ugh. That's definetly a barf shot.

• Author

Unless you think one hair color garnishes more tips than another....hmmm...

What about tipping your beautician! What rules do you follow there?