Thought it was too good to be true ... smoker

spiderowl

Completely agree. I have been in the situation where I thought a man might change over something with disagreed on. We were in love and thought love could overcome anything. It can't and people don't change that much. If you start out hoping he'll change something as strong as an addiction, you are really onto a loser.

I used to smoke, it was one of several reasons my ex-husband and I split up. He didn't even try. I never wanted to be a parent that smoked, and the fact I haven't touched one since the day I gave up means so much to me. I consider giving up in my top 3 achievements in life.

I also held my father as he suffocated to death from lung cancer at the age of 52. Smoking may not be a big deal to many but if it matters to you then stick to your guns.

My boyfriend was a casual smoker when we met only I didn't know for several weeks and as keen as I was on him I really wasn't comfortable being with a smoker. He's given up, he'd been wanting to for so long, but it was hard and it might not have gone that way. Everyone has deal-breakers and I think it's important not to compromise yourself else it will undermine the relationship as it progresses.